Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 80
  1. #26
    Senior Member delcrossv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Scalarville
    Posts
    1,157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    What I do to promote recumbents and break the stereotypes: I ride everyone else's wheels off!



    Although doing this does get boring after a while, not to mention I tend to run out of bikes...

    Ha! Now that's targeted marketing !
    Lightning P-38 / M5 M-Racer/Ryan Vanguard

  2. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,523
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't own or ride one, but them lawn chair bikes are cool with me. I service a few from time to time. Now as to making them look good... that may be asking too much unless the pilot is a very pretty young lady.

    /K

  3. #28
    Senior Member BlazingPedals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Middle of da Mitten
    My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Posts
    7,337
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ksisler View Post
    I don't own or ride one, but them lawn chair bikes are cool with me. I service a few from time to time. Now as to making them look good... that may be asking too much unless the pilot is a very pretty young lady.

    /K
    As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think mine look better than virtually any upright. But then, all upright frames look pretty much like all others. Change the paint and the add-on dongles like wheels and shifters and it's a new bike! At least having that much standardization makes it easier on the shop mechanics.

  4. #29
    Senior Member delcrossv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Scalarville
    Posts
    1,157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ksisler View Post
    I don't own or ride one, but them lawn chair bikes are cool with me. I service a few from time to time. Now as to making them look good... that may be asking too much unless the pilot is a very pretty young lady.

    /K
    How's this?

    Lightning P-38 / M5 M-Racer/Ryan Vanguard

  5. #30
    Senior Member Retro Grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    St Peters, Missouri
    My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Posts
    23,975
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ksisler View Post
    I don't own or ride one, but them lawn chair bikes are cool with me. I service a few from time to time. Now as to making them look good... that may be asking too much unless the pilot is a very pretty young lady.
    I agree but what's your point. Any bike is going to look better with a pretty young lady riding it.

  6. #31
    Over forty victim of Fate Cougrrcj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NE Ohio / Phoenix AZ
    My Bikes
    A few...
    Posts
    1,243
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw a truck with a couple of bikes in the back - one a long-wheelbase recumbent with underseat steering - at a home improvement store this past weekend. Just happened to catch the owner as I was loading my merchandise. He just got it a couple of weeks ago when a LBS was having a going-out-of-business sale. He said he couldn't beat the price at 1/2 MSRP (no, I didn't ask), and that he said he wished he would have switched to a bent years ago because of the comfort on the road with his new one... Yeah, he was an 'older' guy, about my age or so -mid 50s... His wife had a carbon Fuji road bike of some sort, also bought at the same sale. I was at that LBS late last year, and although somewhat off the beaten path, they seemed to be doing a good business...

    I'd like to try a recumbent some time, but they're like hen's teeth around here. Nobody stocks them.
    '75 Fuji S-10S bought new, 45k+ miles and still going!
    '84 Univega Viva Sport
    '90 Schwinn Woodlands
    Huffy MTB - for trips to corner store
    MTB of questionable lineage aka 'Mutt Trail Bike'

  7. #32
    Senior Member BlazingPedals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Middle of da Mitten
    My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Posts
    7,337
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
    I'd like to try a recumbent some time, but they're like hen's teeth around here. Nobody stocks them.

    Don't get me started on the chicken/egg issue of availability and popularity. If you want test rides, your best bet is to corner a bent rider on a bike ride.

  8. #33
    Senior Member WPeabody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Monterey Bay area, California
    My Bikes
    Terratrike Tour, recumbent tadpole tricycle.
    Posts
    523
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meh, I don't care about image. I am happpy to be out and riding. now it's my transportation. It's certainly better than sitting at home, unable to ride a bike because of balance problems. I am not young, but I am no longer fat, thanks to my trike. My doctor came out to have a look at my trike, at my last appointment, because I lost 60 lbs in the past 11 months. And I can go much longer distances than on a DF because my bum doesn't get tired, neither does my neck or my shoulders. I have yet to have anybody say anything negative about my TT. I did overhear a couple of maintenance guys say in Spanish that those vehicles are for the "viejos", but I am a "vieja", compared to them.
    What do you call a cyclist who sells potpourri on the road? A pedaling petal-peddler.

  9. #34
    Senior Member gcottay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Green Valley AZ
    My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Posts
    3,772
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's amazing that the OP is able to discern attitudes of millions of people, many of whom have never given a thought to recumbents. I'd ask for this methods but, since it would be worth many millions, that would be crass of me.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

  10. #35
    Senior Member BlazingPedals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Middle of da Mitten
    My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Posts
    7,337
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know about "millions," but it's a common assessment that anyone riding a recumbent, and especially a recumbent trike, must have some sort of disability. After all, if there was nothing wrong with them, they'd be able to ride a 'regular' bike, right?

  11. #36
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,158
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I do ride a benttrike because u=it hurts too much to ride my FG now.



    I wish I'd switched sooner!
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  12. #37
    Insane Bicycle Mechanic Jeff Wills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    other Vancouver
    Posts
    6,956
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
    I do ride a benttrike because u=it hurts too much to ride my FG now.
    You need to work on that AeroBelly®, Tom. It looks a little undersize.
    Jeff Wills

    All my bikes.

  13. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Fishers Indiana
    My Bikes
    Longbikes Slipstream
    Posts
    318
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wills View Post
    You need to work on that AeroBelly®, Tom. It looks a little undersize.
    Yeah,a nd where's teh scabbard for that giant knife you're always waving around ??? Prolly oughta mount it on the seatback for easy access.
    Longbikes Slipstream

  14. #39
    Senior Member BlazingPedals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Middle of da Mitten
    My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Posts
    7,337
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heeeeeey... Isn't that the wife's trike? Or are there two in the family now?

  15. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,259
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    I don't know about "millions," but it's a common assessment that anyone riding a recumbent, and especially a recumbent trike, must have some sort of disability. After all, if there was nothing wrong with them, they'd be able to ride a 'regular' bike, right?
    I suspect that the USS may be a contributing factor to that misconception do to the appearance of the rider's arms just hanging there. This occurred to me just today as my bride and I drove by a gent on a SWB USS bike. As he rode toward us my wife commented that it looks like he's on that bike because he's disabled. As the wife of a recumbent enthusiast she knows better of course, she just made an observation.

  16. #41
    Senior Member rydabent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lincoln Ne
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Posts
    4,146
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is time the cycling community gets over its blather and snobbery against bents. Do a lot of bents and trikes have older riders--------yes they do. But remember one logical fact. Many people have challenges of pain, recovering from operations etc that bents are their only answer if they want to ride. Many do have enought pain that comes with old age that they dont need additional pain from riding.

    The sad fact remains that the "poor" image of bents are generated in the cycling community itself.

  17. #42
    Senior Member delcrossv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Scalarville
    Posts
    1,157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
    It is time the cycling community gets over its blather and snobbery against bents. Do a lot of bents and trikes have older riders--------yes they do. But remember one logical fact. Many people have challenges of pain, recovering from operations etc that bents are their only answer if they want to ride. Many do have enought pain that comes with old age that they dont need additional pain from riding.

    The sad fact remains that the "poor" image of bents are generated in the cycling community itself.
    Snobs will be snobbish regardless of anything we may do. That's their nature- if you don't ride a carbon Cervelo® with Zipp® wheels and have Kask® helmet with some team jersey you're just not one of the "in" crowd. Even if you're faster- a lot faster. That's because to those people, practical considerations like efficiency, speed and comfort Don't Really Matter - "image" does. No sense worrying about those types, they're happy showing off their latest new titanium carbon magnesium bottle holder bracket to other folks that find such things important. Better to get out there and have fun- riding with a big smile will do more to appeal to folks than anything else. (IMHO)
    Last edited by delcrossv; 05-30-13 at 09:56 AM.
    Lightning P-38 / M5 M-Racer/Ryan Vanguard

  18. #43
    Randomhead
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    12,826
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tcs View Post
    Around a decade ago, I noticed that whenever 'dad' would come into the LBSuperstore to buy a new titanium flat washer for his Cervelo, the kids inevitably would play on the recumbents.
    I'm not a recumbent rider. I do occasionally ride with recumbents. My observation is that people are really interested in recumbents, particularly teenagers. They probably would be put off by the price, but the interest is there. My son and his friend were really interested in building a recumbent a year ago, I haven't seen them since I banished them from my household for that.

  19. #44
    Senior Member Retro Grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    St Peters, Missouri
    My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Posts
    23,975
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before concluding that recumbents need an image makeover one should check out the posts on the road bike forum.

    OTHER RIDERS ARE GOING TO LAUGH AT YOU.
    It doesn't matter what kind of bike you ride or don't ride, what kind of clothes you wear or don't wear, Whether or not you wave at other riders, there will always be a group of riders who are going to skoff at you. Always. It's true of safety bicycle riders, it's true of recumbent riders too.

  20. #45
    The Recumbent Quant cplager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Norwalk, CT
    My Bikes
    2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis
    Posts
    2,905
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
    My son and his friend were really interested in building a recumbent a year ago, I haven't seen them since I banished them from my household for that.
    son: Dad, sit down. I have something to tell you.

    dad (nervously): uhhh... O.k.

    son: Dad, I'm gay.

    dad: Phew! I already knew that. I thought you were going to tell me something scary, like that you wanted to ride recumbents...
    http://Charles.Plager.net
    http://RecumbentQuant.blogspot.com

  21. #46
    Senior Member delcrossv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Scalarville
    Posts
    1,157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cplager View Post
    son: Dad, sit down. I have something to tell you.

    dad (nervously): uhhh... O.k.

    son: Dad, I'm gay.

    dad: Phew! I already knew that. I thought you were going to tell me something scary, like that you wanted to ride recumbents...
    Bwahahahahaha! Best one I've heard in a while
    Lightning P-38 / M5 M-Racer/Ryan Vanguard

  22. #47
    Senior Member rydabent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lincoln Ne
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Posts
    4,146
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    delcrossv +1

    At least on a bent after 50 miles the riders are still smiling.

  23. #48
    Senior Member Retro Grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    St Peters, Missouri
    My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Posts
    23,975
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cplager View Post
    son: Dad, sit down. I have something to tell you.

    dad (nervously): uhhh... O.k.

    son: Dad, I'm gay.

    dad: Phew! I already knew that. I thought you were going to tell me something scary, like that you wanted to ride recumbents...
    My point exactly.

    I suppose one could take that as mean spirited, but I don't think so. Actually, I kind of like it. We bike riders do a lot of bantering back and forth about the evolution of man and the like.

    Recumbents don't need an image makeover. Some recumbent riders just take themselves way too seriously.

  24. #49
    Senior Member delcrossv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Scalarville
    Posts
    1,157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    My point exactly.

    I suppose one could take that as mean spirited, but I don't think so. Actually, I kind of like it. We bike riders do a lot of bantering back and forth about the evolution of man and the like.

    Recumbents don't need an image makeover. Some bike riders just take themselves way too seriously.
    Fixed it for 'ya. It's a more general problem, people should just lighten up.
    Lightning P-38 / M5 M-Racer/Ryan Vanguard

  25. #50
    Daily Rider Robert C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Liberal, KS
    My Bikes
    This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.
    Posts
    1,005
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This weekend my daughter is taking my recumbent to a park with some friends so they can try to learn to ride it. There are all regular riders. In fact, she and her friends are bicycle delivery riders for various companies. If course they don't ride 'bents at work; 'bents are not well suited for hop-on hop-off riding.

    The trouble they have is in no way related to the image of recumbent bicycles; rather, that recumbents have a hard learning curve. Recumbent riders, and proponents, need to face the fact that they are much harder to ride. I suspect that this is a large part of the reason that, in the recumbent market, trikes sell extremely well.
    As a nation we still continue to enjoy a literally unprecedented prosperity; and it is probable that only reckless speculation and disregard of legitimate business methods on the part of the business world can materially mar this prosperity. – Theodore Roosevelt, Sixth Annual Message, December 3, 1906

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •