Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Recumbent (http://www.bikeforums.net/recumbent/)
-   -   Rans Stratus XP (http://www.bikeforums.net/recumbent/902844-rans-stratus-xp.html)

2travelers 07-21-13 06:31 PM

Rans Stratus XP
 
Because of medical issues, I am considering switching over to a recumbent. I know very little about them (sizing, prices, etc) but after doing a little research am considering a LWB. Someone in my home town has a Rans Stratus XP with disk breaks but he didn't give me an age or size. It is now at $1,100.
Here is the info from BentRider forums...
http://www.bentrideronline.com/messa...ad.php?t=98895
Just would like your thoughts.

BlazingPedals 07-21-13 07:11 PM

What kind of riding do you intend on doing? The Strat is a nice bike, good for anything short of racing and excelling at distance. I don't know what year it is, either; but it looks to be in nice condition and I think $1100 is a great price especially considering the extras.

rydabent 07-21-13 07:34 PM

I too would say that is a good price for the bike. I have had a Stratus LE for 5 years now, and have had no problems what so ever. Also if you should ever need any parts or advice, Rans is a great company to do business with.

2travelers 07-21-13 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals (Post 15874205)
What kind of riding do you intend on doing? The Strat is a nice bike, good for anything short of racing and excelling at distance. I don't know what year it is, either; but it looks to be in nice condition and I think $1100 is a great price especially considering the extras.

Thanks for your response.
My wife and I are about 4 years from retiring and we plan to do 1 to 2 week long Inn to Inn touring 35-45 miles a day...lite touring. For now we enjoy 15 - 20 mile rides and will do a couple 3 day mini tours.
The reason we are considering a recumbent is that I developed a problem trying out a Brooks Saddle - traumatic epididymis. Urologist suggested a noseless saddle (which I am now trying) or recumbent. My wife has wrist problems and we both experience the normal DF hurts and pains. So, we are looking for comfort and ability to ride that 35-45 miles a day.

bkaapcke 07-21-13 09:48 PM

Rans makes high quality bikes and the XP is their top model. It looks like it has the adjustable handlebars from the pictures. A definite plus. At that price you should grab it before it's gone. Take a thorough test ride first to see if a recumbent is for you. LWB's are a little squirilly at low speeds and it takes some getting used to. But once you have all the adjustments dialed in, you'll have a really comfortable ride.

BlazingPedals 07-22-13 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkaapcke (Post 15874578)
LWB's are a little squirilly at low speeds and it takes some getting used to. But once you have all the adjustments dialed in, you'll have a really comfortable ride.

Apparently, any handling problems get attributed to "squirrely" or "twitchy." Kind of like electrical problems are always caused by a "short." Newbs may have issues balancing a LWB, but it's because they're too stable. That is, to balance at low speeds, it sometimes takes a lot of handlebar-turning. "Squirrely" or "twitchy" are just the opposite -- they're when the bike darts off in unpredictable directions despite trying to hold it straight. Some early-vintage SWB recumbents were actually too short, and really were twitchy - go over a bump and they'd make for the ditch. The biggest problem with learning how to ride a LWB is the tiller steering, where the hands follow an arc as the steering turns. The ape-hanger style bars minimize this, but it can be disconcerting to a newbie.

osco53 07-22-13 06:07 AM

Grab it ! ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, IF Its the right size...... Long wheel Base bents are Cadillac's....

rydabent 09-23-13 07:45 AM

That model comes with the chopper bars that are ultra adjustable, and of course the seat moves fore and aft to suit your inseam. Again at that price if it is in good shape that is a great price.

dekindy 09-24-13 08:09 PM

Did you buy it?

2travelers 10-10-13 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dekindy (Post 16101020)
Did you buy it?

Was going to check it out with my nephew who is a bike mechanic but someone beat me to it and bought it. I guess, being so new to the recument market, I would like to research & ride a few but after seeing all your responses I should have jumped at it.
Thanks so much for your responses. I will be coming back here for more questions and info as I keep searching.

EriktheFish 11-14-13 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2travelers (Post 16150918)
Was going to check it out with my nephew who is a bike mechanic but someone beat me to it and bought it. I guess, being so new to the recument market, I would like to research & ride a few but after seeing all your responses I should have jumped at it.

Yes, you should'a. I own one (after owning many other brand/types) and it is my favorite. My Stratus XP took me comfortably across the US. Keep watching for deals like that and next time don't hesitate.

rnorris 11-18-13 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EriktheFish (Post 16246339)
Yes, you should'a. I own one (after owning many other brand/types) and it is my favorite. My Stratus XP took me comfortably across the US. Keep watching for deals like that and next time don't hesitate.

I agree. The XP treats a wide variety of riders to one of the nicest recumbent rides around. At all of 5'3" and 105 lbs., I felt at home on a standard size XP immediately during a test ride at RANS last summer. If I ever decide to add another LWB to my stable, it will be on the short list.

2travelers 11-19-13 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rnorris (Post 16257589)
I agree. The XP treats a wide variety of riders to one of the nicest recumbent rides around. At all of 5'3" and 105 lbs., I felt at home on a standard size XP immediately during a test ride at RANS last summer. If I ever decide to add another LWB to my stable, it will be on the short list.

Thanks for the responses...being so new to bents and knowing very little, as I move forward I will be more prepared when I am ready to make the move. Through the winter months I will be researching bents. Have to smile morris as I am twice your size...6'3" & 204. As of now I am looking at LWB RANS and also the Bachetta Bella. I will be going to Hostel Shoppe in Stevens Point, WI next spring to try a few RANS out and Milwaukee area Wheel & Sprocket for the Bella.
Looking forward to Spring!

spam1234jay 01-29-14 10:25 AM

It`s the best bike made in my opinion I have a stratus le because i pull a bob and wanted the fatter tires for bearing extra weight. I `am a big guy I still want an xp just for cruzing though.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:21 PM.