Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Insane Bicycle Mechanic Jeff Wills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    other Vancouver
    Posts
    6,850
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    New Human Powered speed record!

    I'm just back from Battle Mountain, Nevada- if you haven't heard, Team TU-Delft/VU-Amsterdam just set a new world human-powered speed record: 83.13mph! Woo-hoo! Yippee!
    (And I was manning the timing table so I got to know about the record almost before everyone else.)

    http://www.hptdelft.nl/en/index.php?...blog&Itemid=58

    http://jnyyz.wordpress.com/2013/09/1...s-and-banquet/

    Jeff Wills

    All my bikes.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Shimagnolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Zang's Spur, CO
    Posts
    6,391
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How the hell does the driver see???
    Is that a camera in that pod on top feeding a video screen inside?

  3. #3
    Insane Bicycle Mechanic Jeff Wills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    other Vancouver
    Posts
    6,850
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shimagnolo View Post
    How the hell does the driver see???
    Is that a camera in that pod on top feeding a video screen inside?
    Exactly. There are two separate camera systems. Redundancy is a safety requirement for camera bikes and trikes at Battle Mountain.

    This is the Cygnus team demo'ing their camera system at the Tuesday show 'n' shine:

    http://jnyyz.wordpress.com/2013/09/1...how-and-shine/

    Last edited by Jeff Wills; 09-15-13 at 09:20 PM.
    Jeff Wills

    All my bikes.

  4. #4
    The Recumbent Quant cplager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Norwalk, CT
    My Bikes
    2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis
    Posts
    2,884
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How big are the wheels on that puppy?
    http://Charles.Plager.net
    http://RecumbentQuant.blogspot.com

  5. #5
    Senior Member osco53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Central Florida
    My Bikes
    Sun Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3, Scott Spark 760, Walmart Thruster 700c single speed..
    Posts
    691
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unreal, the Chainrings must be what 100 teeth jobs ??

    I guess that little hole up front is the Air Intake, mans gotta breathe right !
    Scott Spark 760, Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3 sx, Walmart Thruster :P

  6. #6
    Insane Bicycle Mechanic Jeff Wills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    other Vancouver
    Posts
    6,850
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cplager View Post
    How big are the wheels on that puppy?
    20", 406mm rims. I'm pretty sure they were using the Michelin solar car special tires, which are $125 each.

    Here's a few more from my collection. I have some more to process, including a bunch of really pretty scenery.

    Saturday morning:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ohpv/se...7635578132764/

    Saturday evening:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ohpv/se...7635578290744/
    Jeff Wills

    All my bikes.

  7. #7
    Insane Bicycle Mechanic Jeff Wills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    other Vancouver
    Posts
    6,850
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by osco53 View Post
    Unreal, the Chainrings must be what 100 teeth jobs ??

    I guess that little hole up front is the Air Intake, mans gotta breathe right !
    Most of the bikes are using two-stage compound drivetrains. That is, the primary uses normal size chainrings and cogs, but then an additional sprocket and cog step up the ratios so top gear is in the 300 gear-inch range.
    Jeff Wills

    All my bikes.

  8. #8
    rebmeM roineS JanMM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Posts
    11,679
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wills View Post
    Most of the bikes are using two-stage compound drivetrains. That is, the primary uses normal size chainrings and cogs, but then an additional sprocket and cog step up the ratios so top gear is in the 300 gear-inch range.
    Great pics.
    My knees hurt thinking about 300 gear-inches............
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

  9. #9
    Insane Bicycle Mechanic Jeff Wills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    other Vancouver
    Posts
    6,850
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
    Great pics.
    My knees hurt thinking about 300 gear-inches............
    Think about this: Graeme Obree's prone "Beastie" was a single-speed, and he powered it up to 57mph.
    Jeff Wills

    All my bikes.

  10. #10
    don't try this at home. rm -rf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    N. KY
    Posts
    2,714
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    found another video.


  11. #11
    The Recumbent Quant cplager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Norwalk, CT
    My Bikes
    2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis
    Posts
    2,884
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wills View Post
    Think about this: Graeme Obree's prone "Beastie" was a single-speed, and he powered it up to 57mph.
    Woah! I wonder what he could have done with gears. (I'm assuming he optimized his gearing for the high end, but it still must have taken it out of him getting up there.)
    http://Charles.Plager.net
    http://RecumbentQuant.blogspot.com

  12. #12
    Senior Member delcrossv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Scalarville
    Posts
    1,043
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cplager View Post
    Woah! I wonder what he could have done with gears. (I'm assuming he optimized his gearing for the high end, but it still must have taken it out of him getting up there.)
    It originally in the 230 range and he told me it was too low (stability problems at higher cadence on the bike). He swapped it up on site. 280" fixie with a linear drive. Yep, no freewheel on Beastie.
    Lightning P-38 / M5 M-Racer/Ryan Vanguard

  13. #13
    The Recumbent Quant cplager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Norwalk, CT
    My Bikes
    2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis
    Posts
    2,884
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by delcrossv View Post
    It originally in the 230 range and he told me it was too low (stability problems at higher cadence on the bike). He swapped it up on site. 280" fixie with a linear drive. Yep, no freewheel on Beastie.
    Then maybe he should use a unicycle gears? I believe it's usually a factor of two, but works well in environments where you HAVE to be in a gear.
    http://Charles.Plager.net
    http://RecumbentQuant.blogspot.com

  14. #14
    shaken, not stirred. gnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Shaky Isles.
    My Bikes
    I've lost count.
    Posts
    2,942
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by delcrossv View Post
    It originally in the 230 range and he told me it was too low (stability problems at higher cadence on the bike). He swapped it up on site. 280" fixie with a linear drive. Yep, no freewheel on Beastie.
    That is just insane. Yet he managed to start it without exploding his knees. very impressive.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"
    vBulletin: snafu

  15. #15
    The Recumbent Quant cplager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Norwalk, CT
    My Bikes
    2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis
    Posts
    2,884
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    That is just insane. Yet he managed to start it without exploding his knees. very impressive.
    I assume he got a push (as most people riding bikes like this do). Even so, you're point is right on the money.
    http://Charles.Plager.net
    http://RecumbentQuant.blogspot.com

  16. #16
    Senior Member BlazingPedals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Middle of da Mitten
    My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Posts
    7,229
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rm -rf View Post
    found another video.

    Video clips were taken at different times. (Different shadowing for each clip.) That's not surprising, but I wonder if one of them was actually taken on the record-breaking run?

  17. #17
    Insane Bicycle Mechanic Jeff Wills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    other Vancouver
    Posts
    6,850
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    Video clips were taken at different times. (Different shadowing for each clip.) That's not surprising, but I wonder if one of them was actually taken on the record-breaking run?

    I shot this just before the VeloX3 entered the traps on Saturday evening. Then I had to drop the camera to push the button that captured the wind reading.

    Jeff Wills

    All my bikes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •