Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 84
  1. #51
    Senior Member Balsawings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Miami, FL
    My Bikes
    Trek Crossrip 2.1, Trek Dohmane 2.3, Sun EZ Sport AX
    Posts
    73
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bkaapcke View Post
    Bob, you can raise the front of the seat a little by removing the seat base and loosening the front seat bracket quick release. I put a hard rubber washer under the front edge of the bracket which raised it about 1/4". That was enough to prevent sliding forward. If you need more lift, you can put wedges between the seat bracket and the plywood bottom of the seat base.

    You will notice that the seat base mounting screws are in slots, so there is some forward/back adjustment of the base in relation to the seat back. Also, by keeping the seat back cover strap at lumbar height fairly tight, you actually get comfortable lumbar support.

    I found the best way to fine tune the seat position in relation to the pedals was to get it as far back as possible but still be able to push off the seat back when climbing hills. This takes a few readjustments, but once you get it right on, it really is comfortable. Having this right also reduces sliding forward.

    They really are wonderful seats. Happy riding. bk
    BK, your suggestion was exactly what I had in mind. Since I haven't changed the handlebars or the angle of the seat back I hadn't tried it until now. After reading your post I went out to the garage and made a 1-1/4 inch square by 1/4 in thick wedge out of a piece of neoprene I had laying around and put it under the mounting bracket and the frame. I've put over 500 miles on the bike and still making adjustments. I had been noticing that I'm moving around on the seat so I will see if the wedge helps. I've also moved the seat back another 1/4 inch. The seat is now back as far as it will go. I haven't tried out the new angle yet but will let you know how it works out for me after getting a good ride in. Might be the weekend before that happens. I'm fighting a cold right now and we are getting a "cold" (cold for South Florida) snap this week. Don't figure riding in 40 degree weather with a cold is a good idea.

    On another subject. I've come to the conclusion that this bike offers everything I want in a bike so don't anticipate buying a "better" bike any time soon. So, I'm looking at upgrading this one. I've not been happy with the brakes on the bike. Yesterday I took the time to pull the brake pads and sand them. I also pulled the brake arms and greased the block stubs. I also cleaned the rims. The brakes may be a little better but I'm still not happy with their stopping power. I'm used to the stopping power of the 105's on my rode bike. I've ordered two pairs of Kool-Stop double compound pads that should be here Wednesday. I'll see if that improves the stopping power.

    The bike has Shimano Avid single digit 5's on it. I'm wandering if there would be a noticeable difference in braking if I upgraded to Avid single digit 7's. If I do change the brakes I would also upgrade all the cables and housings as well.

    Anyone have any experience with the upgrading of brakes that I'm contemplating? Is there a better brake that I should be looking at? Should I save my money and just upgrade the cables, housings and pads? I have no problem spending the money for the new brakes so don't let that influence your suggestions. Any suggestions should be a direct bolt on replacement.

    Also, I would like suggestions for the best cables and housings available.

    Here's pics of the current front brake.

    DSCN0315.jpg

    DSCN0316.jpg

    Bob
    Last edited by Balsawings; 01-13-14 at 06:51 PM. Reason: correct text

  2. #52
    rebmeM roineS JanMM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Posts
    11,520
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Balsawings View Post
    On another subject. I've come to the conclusion that this bike offers everything I want in a bike so don't anticipate buying a "better" bike any time soon. So, I'm looking at upgrading this one. I've not been happy with the brakes on the bike. Yesterday I took the time to pull the brake pads and sand them. I also pulled the brake arms and greased the block stubs. I also cleaned the rims. The brakes may be a little better but I'm still not happy with their stopping power. I'm used to the stopping power of the 105's on my rode bike. I've ordered two pairs of Kool-Stop double compound pads that should be here Wednesday. I'll see if that improves the stopping power.

    The bike has Shimano Avid single digit 5's on it. I'm wandering if there would be a noticeable difference in braking if I upgraded to Avid single digit 7's. If I do change the brakes I would also upgrade all the cables and housings as well.

    Anyone have any experience with the upgrading of brakes that I'm contemplating? Is there a better brake that I should be looking at? Should I save my money and just upgrade the cables, housings and pads? I have no problem spending the money for the new brakes so don't let that influence your suggestions. Any suggestions should be a direct bolt on replacement.

    Also, I would like suggestions for the best cables and housings available.

    Here's pics of the current front brake.

    Bob
    Very satisfied with the Single Digit 5 on the front of our Screamer tandem - so much so that I replaced the Tektro brakes on my V-Rex with Single Digit 5's.
    Guessing that with new cables, housing and pads, you will be satisfied.
    I use stainless cables and lined Jagwire housing. Nothing fancy.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

  3. #53
    Senior Member osco53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Central Florida
    My Bikes
    Sun Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3, Scott Aspect 29er HT, Walmart Thruster 700c single speed..
    Posts
    628
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I replaced my rear rim brake with the Avid BB7 and with the extra long cable run can come more friction, wear and drag
    so I went with a Teflon coated cable..
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...504&category=7

    And YES I could tell the difference XD

    Remember, support your LBS, let them order your toyz for you because the more they order the better pricing they get.....
    Scott Aspect 940 29er, Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3 sx, Walmart Thruster :P

  4. #54
    Senior Member Balsawings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Miami, FL
    My Bikes
    Trek Crossrip 2.1, Trek Dohmane 2.3, Sun EZ Sport AX
    Posts
    73
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by osco53 View Post
    Remember, support your LBS, let them order your toyz for you because the more they order the better pricing they get.....
    I supported my LBS today. Went in to have them take a look at the bike and have them install a stem riser adapter so I could get the bars above my knees. After they got into it, they realized that I didn't need the adapter. The stem on the bike is extendable. They raised the stem a full 4 inches. Now I have plenty of room between the bars and my knees.

    Before:
    DSCN0294.jpg

    After:
    DSCN0321.jpg

    The stem:
    DSCN0322.jpg

    So, if you're having problems with the height or reach of your bars. Extend the stem. Also, if you look close at the second picture you can see the gap between the seat and the frame top tube after installing the wedge.

    I also received the new Kool-stop brake pads. I haven't tried them out yet.
    DSCN0319.jpg

    Later,

    Bob

  5. #55
    Senior Member osco53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Central Florida
    My Bikes
    Sun Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3, Scott Aspect 29er HT, Walmart Thruster 700c single speed..
    Posts
    628
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got an older version of, 'Kool-Stops' on my front wheel

    They work great but I think its because of the size/length,,
    Mountain bike pads like mine seem softer, I dunno..

    A little harder to Adjust the squeal out due to the length but no biggie.
    A folded business card worked great.
    Scott Aspect 940 29er, Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3 sx, Walmart Thruster :P

  6. #56
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    SE VA
    My Bikes
    Sun EZ Sport CX
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Balsawings View Post
    I supported my LBS today. Went in to have them take a look at the bike and have them install a stem riser adapter so I could get the bars above my knees. After they got into it, they realized that I didn't need the adapter. The stem on the bike is extendable. They raised the stem a full 4 inches. Now I have plenty of room between the bars and my knees.

    Before:
    DSCN0294.jpg

    After:
    DSCN0321.jpg

    The stem:
    DSCN0322.jpg

    So, if you're having problems with the height or reach of your bars. Extend the stem. Also, if you look close at the second picture you can see the gap between the seat and the frame top tube after installing the wedge.

    I also received the new Kool-stop brake pads. I haven't tried them out yet.
    DSCN0319.jpg

    Later,

    Bob
    Bob, took a look at my stem after seeing your post and it was set up 4 inchs as well. Hadn't really noticed it before, but it works good for me as well at this height. Sorry about the orientation. Still can't figure out why this is happening.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  7. #57
    Senior Member Balsawings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Miami, FL
    My Bikes
    Trek Crossrip 2.1, Trek Dohmane 2.3, Sun EZ Sport AX
    Posts
    73
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Ride Report

    Ric, I don't know why I hadn't thought about the stem being extendable. Just one of my Homer moments I guess.


    Quote Originally Posted by RicR View Post
    Bob, took a look at my stem after seeing your post and it was set up 4 inchs as well. Hadn't really noticed it before, but it works good for me as well at this height. Sorry about the orientation. Still can't figure out why this is happening.
    Thought I would save your picture to my computer so I could rotate it, resave and repost here. I'm assuming that the picture on your computer is rotated 90 degrees from the way it gets posted here? It worked for me when I reposted the picture. I think a setting some where is causing your picture to rotate back to it's original format. You are holding your camera or phone vertically when taking the picture, right? If so, then I assume you're having to rotate the pictures when loading to your computer. I don't know what needs to change in order to get them to load without rotating. Maybe someone more knowledgeable will chime in with the answer.

    Stem.jpg

    Anyway, I finally got a chance the ride the bike yesterday. Had a dentist appointment for a cleaning and decided I needed to ride the bike.

    The conclusions:

    The seat base angle works, but can't really tell if it's better or just as good as it was. I'll leave the wedge in there for now and continue to ride.

    The Kool-stop pads help the braking. Most noticeable on the front but I would say that both are better.

    The stem change is a big plus. I know can turn the handlebars and pedal at the same time. The height hasn't caused any change to the comfort of my arms or shoulders but I'll save finally judgment for when I get a longer ride in on Sunday. The ride to the dentist office was only 13 miles.

    After changing the stem, I felt the bars were too close and my arms were bent too much. So I angled the seatback. I had to cut 2 inches off of the upright supports in order to change the angle. I cut them off below the hole for the pins so I had to drill new holes. The distance to the handlebars feel perfect now. I have just enough bend at the elbows to turn the bike without reaching.

    All in all I feel that my changes have improved the bike and it now fits me better. As I stated above, I plan to take a longer ride (50+) on Sunday and I'll see how it feels after 5 hours in the saddle. I plan to ride out to Key Biscayne again and get in some up hill work.

    Bob

  8. #58
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    SE VA
    My Bikes
    Sun EZ Sport CX
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Balsawings View Post
    Ric, I don't know why I hadn't thought about the stem being extendable. Just one of my Homer moments I guess.




    Thought I would save your picture to my computer so I could rotate it, resave and repost here. I'm assuming that the picture on your computer is rotated 90 degrees from the way it gets posted here? It worked for me when I reposted the picture. I think a setting some where is causing your picture to rotate back to it's original format. You are holding your camera or phone vertically when taking the picture, right? If so, then I assume you're having to rotate the pictures when loading to your computer. I don't know what needs to change in order to get them to load without rotating. Maybe someone more knowledgeable will chime in with the answer.

    Stem.jpg


    Bob
    Bob, yes I took the picture with my Iphone and holding it vertically when taking the picture. I then uploaded the picture to a file on my hard drive and it is as you say rotated correctly (upright) when viewed. However when I down load it to the forum it somehow gets rotated 90 degrees to the left and I have not been able to figure it out either.

    Regarding the handle bars height: I like having mine rotated back enough so that my elbows are at my side and my forearms extend to the bars at a slight upward angle. This seems most comfortable to me and gives me plenty of arm extension to turn the bars for a tight turn.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  9. #59
    Senior Member Balsawings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Miami, FL
    My Bikes
    Trek Crossrip 2.1, Trek Dohmane 2.3, Sun EZ Sport AX
    Posts
    73
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back to the handlebars. I hope everyone doesn't mind my going on about my bike. I just really like working on my bikes and it's become a hobby of sorts.

    When I had the stem raised, I had to move the computer down to the frame top bar because the wire from the front wheel was to short for the computer to stay on the handlebar cross member. I didn't like the computer mounted to the frame. It was hard to see without having to tilt my head (a lot) to see the read out through my glasses. After some head scratching I finally decided that I could mount it back on the handlebars if I made a second cross member. The cross member is 3/4 inch PVC. With a little trial and error I managed to make it a press fit.

    DSCN0323.jpgDSCN0324.jpg

    It's official, I can not buy a bike with USS. Where would I mount everything. Between the water bottles is not the most convenient place for the computer but it works. As you can see in the next photo, the map holder hides the computer but I'm finding that I use it less and less lately. I mostly use it to keep track of my mileage. I don't use the map holder when riding locally so it's not a problem.

    DSCN0327.jpg

    Also, after mounting the computer I decided that I would move the headlight. So, I made another cross member for it. It got the light up higher and away from the stem, which the headlight rattled against.

    Bob

  10. #60
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    SE VA
    My Bikes
    Sun EZ Sport CX
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Stock Rims on the EZ Sport CX

    I recently had a flat tire on the rear wheel of my EZ Sport CX. While I had the tire and tube off, I was inspecting the rims and they seemed light weight enough, but did not appear to be very durable (in my inexperienced opinion anyway). Also the rear wheel has gotten so out of true after 470 miles, that I had to open the brake pad adjustment at the lever all the way, so the wheel didn't hit the pads.. Balsawings in another thread indicated that if the rims were the same as those on the AX model they should be fine. So I looked up both models on the Sun website and the rims for the AX are described as "Alloy Double Wall Machine Side". The only information on the AX rims is stamped HJC Alloy 606-T6. The Sun website describes the rims for the CX as, "Alloy SL 36H". The information stamped on the rear wheel is the same as the AX wheels, " HJC Alloy 606-T6". However, the front wheel is stamped "HJC Alloy 061-T6". So it seems the rims on the CX are different than on the AX, and are not double walled, but rather Alloy SL 36H, whatever that means.

    Does anyone have any knowledge or experience or opinions on the reliability/durability of the stock wheels on the CX as described above. I'd like to eventually do some touring on this bike, but want to be sure these rims are up to the task.

    Thank you;

    Ric

  11. #61
    rebmeM roineS JanMM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Posts
    11,520
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RicR View Post
    I recently had a flat tire on the rear wheel of my EZ Sport CX. While I had the tire and tube off, I was inspecting the rims and they seemed light weight enough, but did not appear to be very durable (in my inexperienced opinion anyway). Also the rear wheel has gotten so out of true after 470 miles, that I had to open the brake pad adjustment at the lever all the way, so the wheel didn't hit the pads.. Balsawings in another thread indicated that if the rims were the same as those on the AX model they should be fine. So I looked up both models on the Sun website and the rims for the AX are described as "Alloy Double Wall Machine Side". The only information on the AX rims is stamped HJC Alloy 606-T6. The Sun website describes the rims for the CX as, "Alloy SL 36H". The information stamped on the rear wheel is the same as the AX wheels, " HJC Alloy 606-T6". However, the front wheel is stamped "HJC Alloy 061-T6". So it seems the rims on the CX are different than on the AX, and are not double walled, but rather Alloy SL 36H, whatever that means.

    Does anyone have any knowledge or experience or opinions on the reliability/durability of the stock wheels on the CX as described above. I'd like to eventually do some touring on this bike, but want to be sure these rims are up to the task.
    Not familiar with whatever rims are on your bike but have not seen anything in the past suggesting that Sun bikes come with inferior rims/wheels.

    About simple rubber rim strips - standard advice on BF is that rubber strips can lead to blowouts with higher pressures on double wall rims as the tubes can expand down into the hole. I currently use either tape like Velox or plastic Veloplugs on my bikes.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

  12. #62
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    SE VA
    My Bikes
    Sun EZ Sport CX
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Sealed Hubs used on Sun EZ Sport???

    Just curious if anyone knows whether the cartridge bearings used in the sealed hubs on the Sun EZ sport are replaceable, and how many miles they should be good for?

    Thank you;

    Ric

  13. #63
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    SE VA
    My Bikes
    Sun EZ Sport CX
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RicR View Post
    Just curious if anyone knows whether the cartridge bearings used in the sealed hubs on the Sun EZ sport are replaceable, and how many miles they should be good for?

    Thank you;

    Ric
    Well, I got an answer from Sun (J&B Products) to this question. I thought I would post in case anyone wanted to know. They stated there was no established time for how often a Bearing cartridge in a BB or Hub might need to be replaced, but if and when they might need to be, the cartridges are readily available and replaceable by a dealer. Still wish I knew how long they would likely last?

  14. #64
    Senior Member BlazingPedals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Middle of da Mitten
    My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Posts
    7,093
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Balsawings View Post
    The stem is pretty far forward. Did your knees actually hit the handlebars before? Looking at the pic, it doesn't seem that you could hit the bars even if you tried. I can see that raising the bars would be more comfy, though.

  15. #65
    Senior Member Balsawings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Miami, FL
    My Bikes
    Trek Crossrip 2.1, Trek Dohmane 2.3, Sun EZ Sport AX
    Posts
    73
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    The stem is pretty far forward. Did your knees actually hit the handlebars before? Looking at the pic, it doesn't seem that you could hit the bars even if you tried. I can see that raising the bars would be more comfy, though.
    BlazingPedals,

    My knees didn't actually hit the handlebars unless I had to make a turn. I could not pedal when turning the bars. I tried raising the bars but I then had to reach for the bars or raise the angle of the seatback which made it uncomfortable. After I turned the stem around it was better but, wasn't enough to pedal while turning. The bars are now high enough to pedal while turning and I was able to move the seatback angle back one more notch. I've only taken one ride since changing them and was quite happy with the whole set up. I've not rode the bike in almost two weeks due to a medical problem. I did get on the bike today to see if I could ride today, but it was too soon. The one thing that did stand out in my mind after my short ride around the driveway was how comfortable the bars were. When riding in the driveway I have to make a U-turn every 75 feet and I was able to pedal the whole time. I had thought about turning the stem around again (I know it looks funny as is) but like the feel so much that I've decided to leave it as is.

    I have to go through a couple of medical procedures in the next month and won't be able to get much riding as I want but I'll soon be back. I was hoping to do the MS Ride from Miami to Key Largo and back on March 1st and 2nd but I may not be able to now. I've done one 50 mile ride early this month (my longest so far) and I don't think I'm going to be ready for two 75 miles days in a row by March.

    Later

    Bob

  16. #66
    Senior Member osco53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Central Florida
    My Bikes
    Sun Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3, Scott Aspect 29er HT, Walmart Thruster 700c single speed..
    Posts
    628
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In post #32 My longer stem pulled my bars closer to me like I wanted but the Sun made Tour Easy Bars are shorter than the EZ sport bars
    so I raised them up so my knee's just miss my hands except when I'm doing a U-turn.
    Then I simply poke my knee out to the side, whip the bar down tight and turn on a dime,, no problem.
    Scott Aspect 940 29er, Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3 sx, Walmart Thruster :P

  17. #67
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    SE VA
    My Bikes
    Sun EZ Sport CX
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Balsawings View Post
    BlazingPedals,

    My knees didn't actually hit the handlebars unless I had to make a turn. I could not pedal when turning the bars. I tried raising the bars but I then had to reach for the bars or raise the angle of the seatback which made it uncomfortable. After I turned the stem around it was better but, wasn't enough to pedal while turning. The bars are now high enough to pedal while turning and I was able to move the seatback angle back one more notch. I've only taken one ride since changing them and was quite happy with the whole set up. I've not rode the bike in almost two weeks due to a medical problem. I did get on the bike today to see if I could ride today, but it was too soon. The one thing that did stand out in my mind after my short ride around the driveway was how comfortable the bars were. When riding in the driveway I have to make a U-turn every 75 feet and I was able to pedal the whole time. I had thought about turning the stem around again (I know it looks funny as is) but like the feel so much that I've decided to leave it as is.

    I have to go through a couple of medical procedures in the next month and won't be able to get much riding as I want but I'll soon be back. I was hoping to do the MS Ride from Miami to Key Largo and back on March 1st and 2nd but I may not be able to now. I've done one 50 mile ride early this month (my longest so far) and I don't think I'm going to be ready for two 75 miles days in a row by March.

    Later

    Bob
    Bob, Sorry to hear you are having Medical issues. I wish you all the best and a speedy recovery.

    Ric

  18. #68
    Senior Member Dchiefransom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Newark, CA. San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    6,191
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Balsawings View Post
    Back to the handlebars. I hope everyone doesn't mind my going on about my bike. I just really like working on my bikes and it's become a hobby of sorts.

    When I had the stem raised, I had to move the computer down to the frame top bar because the wire from the front wheel was to short for the computer to stay on the handlebar cross member. I didn't like the computer mounted to the frame. It was hard to see without having to tilt my head (a lot) to see the read out through my glasses. After some head scratching I finally decided that I could mount it back on the handlebars if I made a second cross member. The cross member is 3/4 inch PVC. With a little trial and error I managed to make it a press fit.

    DSCN0323.jpgDSCN0324.jpg

    It's official, I can not buy a bike with USS. Where would I mount everything. Between the water bottles is not the most convenient place for the computer but it works. As you can see in the next photo, the map holder hides the computer but I'm finding that I use it less and less lately. I mostly use it to keep track of my mileage. I don't use the map holder when riding locally so it's not a problem.

    DSCN0327.jpg

    Also, after mounting the computer I decided that I would move the headlight. So, I made another cross member for it. It got the light up higher and away from the stem, which the headlight rattled against.

    Bob
    I can't see what brand of computer you have, but some companies make a longer wire setup for tandems.
    Silver Eagle Pilot

  19. #69
    Senior Member Balsawings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Miami, FL
    My Bikes
    Trek Crossrip 2.1, Trek Dohmane 2.3, Sun EZ Sport AX
    Posts
    73
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ric,

    Thanks for the concern. I did manage to get in a 14 mile ride yesterday and I am riding to work this morning. After two weeks I can get back on the bike. I'm not 100% yet but close enough to finally ride the bike. We've been having beautiful bike riding weather down here and I was missing it. I think I was having withdrawals. After riding so much the last 7 months, biking has really become a part of me and my daily life.

    This is post #50 . Woo Hoo, I can finally answer PM's.

    Bob

  20. #70
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    SE VA
    My Bikes
    Sun EZ Sport CX
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Balsawings View Post
    Ric,

    Thanks for the concern. I did manage to get in a 14 mile ride yesterday and I am riding to work this morning. After two weeks I can get back on the bike. I'm not 100% yet but close enough to finally ride the bike. We've been having beautiful bike riding weather down here and I was missing it. I think I was having withdrawals. After riding so much the last 7 months, biking has really become a part of me and my daily life.

    This is post #50 . Woo Hoo, I can finally answer PM's.

    Bob
    Glad your are getting back on the bike already, and I understand the withdrawals. We are having an unusual cold and snowy for us winter and I am suffering the same. I did get in 10 miles yesterday in my neighborhood, by dodging the unmelted slick spots. Anxious for spring!

  21. #71
    Senior Member Balsawings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Miami, FL
    My Bikes
    Trek Crossrip 2.1, Trek Dohmane 2.3, Sun EZ Sport AX
    Posts
    73
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RicR View Post
    Glad your are getting back on the bike already, and I understand the withdrawals. We are having an unusual cold and snowy for us winter and I am suffering the same. I did get in 10 miles yesterday in my neighborhood, by dodging the unmelted slick spots. Anxious for spring!
    Well, I was back on the bike for a couple weeks, now I'm off again for about ten days. Had a cist removed from my forehead and can't wear my helmet. It's not keeping me from planning though.

    Ric, I'm becoming more serious about the Ride Virginia tour if you're still interest. It just seems like the perfect tour for me. I plan to register next month.

    I've been researching camping gear as well as accessories for the bike. Way back in post #2 , Elad63 posted a picture of his EZ Sport with under seat panniers. I asked him if he knew where the rack came from and he didn't. Well, I've finally found a rack that will work, I hope. Just had a nice conversation with Jessie at the Hostel Shoppe. I had e-mailed them about a rack yesterday and she e-mailed me back this morning. She included a link to the rack which she would have to special order.

    http://www.jbimporters.com/web/check...t_number=45598

    It will be a couple of weeks before I receive the racks, but I'm in no hurry. I'll give my thoughts after I receive the racks. I've ordered from the Hostel before and was happy with their service. After talking with Jamie, I will continue to support them.

    45598.jpg

    I've also ordered new panniers for the rear rack. Actually, just one bag. I will check out the bag for quality and fit when it gets here. If I'm not happy with it I will send it back. If I like it I will order the second. Reviews were good but we'll see. It's not water proof but comes with a rain cover.

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    51miz1UJE3L.jpg

    Later Bob

  22. #72
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    SE VA
    My Bikes
    Sun EZ Sport CX
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Balsawings View Post
    Well, I was back on the bike for a couple weeks, now I'm off again for about ten days. Had a cist removed from my forehead and can't wear my helmet. It's not keeping me from planning though.

    Ric, I'm becoming more serious about the Ride Virginia tour if you're still interest. It just seems like the perfect tour for me. I plan to register next month.

    I've been researching be camping gear as well as accessories for the bike.
    Later Bob
    Bob; thanks for letting me know you are going to do the Cycle Virginia Tour. I'm still hoping / planning to do it. Just been waiting to register as well to be sure no conflicts come up. I was also contemplating just doing the weekend tour for the first one, but am now leaning toward doing the whole week. Let me know when you get ready to register and I will Hopefully be ready to commit at the same time. It will be great to have someone to ride along with. A great thing about this tour that appealed to me for my first one, is that you don't have to carry your gear with you every day. You only have to move one time and the tour group moves your gear for you. I have also been trying to decide on what kind of tent to buy. For example should I get a dome tent for these type of tours where I don't have to carry it on the bike and have a little more room, or get a smaller / light weight tent that I could carry on the bike for other type touring as well. Have you come to any conclusions on a tent yet? The racks and gear look good and I look forward to your reviews. I have a lot of training to do before June, and the weather here has limited my riding quite a bit. I did get 20 miles in Sunday and then today I managed a chilly 5 miles on wet streets after it stopped raining for today. Hope you heal quickly.

    Ric

  23. #73
    Senior Member Balsawings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Miami, FL
    My Bikes
    Trek Crossrip 2.1, Trek Dohmane 2.3, Sun EZ Sport AX
    Posts
    73
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RicR View Post
    Bob; thanks for letting me know you are going to do the Cycle Virginia Tour. I'm still hoping / planning to do it. Just been waiting to register as well to be sure no conflicts come up. I was also contemplating just doing the weekend tour for the first one, but am now leaning toward doing the whole week. Let me know when you get ready to register and I will Hopefully be ready to commit at the same time. It will be great to have someone to ride along with. A great thing about this tour that appealed to me for my first one, is that you don't have to carry your gear with you every day. You only have to move one time and the tour group moves your gear for you. I have also been trying to decide on what kind of tent to buy. For example should I get a dome tent for these type of tours where I don't have to carry it on the bike and have a little more room, or get a smaller / light weight tent that I could carry on the bike for other type touring as well. Have you come to any conclusions on a tent yet? The racks and gear look good and I look forward to your reviews. I have a lot of training to do before June, and the weather here has limited my riding quite a bit. I did get 20 miles in Sunday and then today I managed a chilly 5 miles on wet streets after it stopped raining for today. Hope you heal quickly.

    Ric
    Ric,

    Just keep riding when you get a chance.

    "It will be great to have someone to ride along with."
    This is one reason I'm considering this tour.

    "A great thing about this tour that appealed to me for my first one, is that you don't have to carry your gear with you every day. You only have to move one time and the tour group moves your gear for you."
    This was the most appealing aspect of the tour for me.

    " I have also been trying to decide on what kind of tent to buy. For example should I get a dome tent for these type of tours where I don't have to carry it on the bike and have a little more room, or get a smaller / light weight tent that I could carry on the bike for other type touring as well. Have you come to any conclusions on a tent yet?"
    I'm leaning towards the MSR Hubba Hubba 2 person tent with footprint

    510QpaGcOpL__SL1500_.jpg
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003C1H2SW/...=II7QL11BBH7UT

    and Gear Shed.
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00453QSWW/...I19UIWH93SXNUE

    61Z2KV156YL__SL1500_.jpg

    Also a Therm-a-rest pad.
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008O6JDTG/...d=I61ETNNXF04N

    510S-7VDozL__SL1500_.jpg


    I've not used my camping gear for years and most isn't suitable for bike touring (too heavy). I really want to do a lot of touring/camping, so I'm going to spend a little extra money to get better equipment. There are cheaper tents but I like this one.

    Bob

  24. #74
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    SE VA
    My Bikes
    Sun EZ Sport CX
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bob;

    Thanks for the links on the camping gear. It looks like good stuff. I will check it out.

    Ric

  25. #75
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    SE VA
    My Bikes
    Sun EZ Sport CX
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bob;

    I finally got around to ordering a Arkel Seat bag today. I just saw in post #44 that one of the pictures of your bike has a flag in the sleeve on the bag. Where is a good place to get the flag. I think I want to give one a try.

    Ric

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •