Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Recumbent (http://www.bikeforums.net/recumbent/)
-   -   Roof Carrier or Rear Carrier - Lightening P-38 Copy (http://www.bikeforums.net/recumbent/925742-roof-carrier-rear-carrier-lightening-p-38-copy.html)

Aushiker 12-11-13 08:57 AM

Roof Carrier or Rear Carrier - Lightening P-38 Copy
 
I managed to destroy my Thule ProRide Silver BA 591 on Sunday. Thankfully bike and car are okay; the rack took the impact.

Anyway I need to decide if I want to replace it with a roof carrier again, either another Thule BA 591 or maybe instead a Rhino-Rack Discovery or to go to rear carrier.

Neither of our cars have towbars and I don't want to go to that expense so the alternative is a Thule Raceway 9003. Anyone have experience with the Raceway 9003 or thoughts on it?

http://thulestorebotany.com.au/produ...ng&w=469&h=310

The other alternative is the Thule Raceway 9001 but not sure how this will go with my Logo Lightening P-38.

http://thulestorebotany.com.au/produ...ng&w=469&h=310

http://wahpv.densmith.server310.com/...Martin/006.JPG

Thanks
Andrew

cplager 12-11-13 09:30 AM

You might be able to use the second carrier with the bike upside-down (i.e., use the bottom bar near the chain return as the top bar). If you've got an REI or other store that carries them (or something like them), you can probably figure it out.

Dudelsack 12-11-13 03:41 PM

I was surprised how relatively inexpensive it was to mount a tow bar. It's the only way to go with the recumbent, and my car thanks me for not messing up its paint finish.

Aushiker 12-11-13 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cplager (Post 16320713)
You might be able to use the second carrier with the bike upside-down (i.e., use the bottom bar near the chain return as the top bar). If you've got an REI or other store that carries them (or something like them), you can probably figure it out.

Looking at it again I can see your point so that idea is scrapped. Pity as I was looking at the Saris Bones last night as another option. Back to roof or platform. We don't have stores like REI and chances of these been available locally without ordering are slim :(

Andrew

Aushiker 12-11-13 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dudelsack (Post 16322020)
I was surprised how relatively inexpensive it was to mount a tow bar. It's the only way to go with the recumbent, and my car thanks me for not messing up its paint finish.

Not here I am afraid :( I am looking at around $450 for the towbar plus $469 for say the Thule EuroRide 941 which is their cheapest option. Really need the ability to tilt the rack with bikes on feature as the car is a hatchback + rear lights of course to be legal. Might be slightly cheaper options for the rack but.

The roof mount is around $239.

Regards
Andrew

Dudelsack 12-11-13 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aushiker (Post 16322411)
Not here I am afraid :( I am looking at around $450 for the towbar plus $469 for say the Thule EuroRide 941 which is their cheapest option. Really need the ability to tilt the rack with bikes on feature as the car is a hatchback + rear lights of course to be legal. Might be slightly cheaper options for the rack but.

The roof mount is around $239.

Regards
Andrew

:eek:


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:29 AM.