Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-23-13, 03:05 PM   #1
RicR
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: SE VA
Bikes: Sun EZ Sport CX
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any recumbent riders on this forum planning to do Bike Virginia this year?

Just wondering. I've never done it, but this year it is practically going to be in my back yard, and hard to pass up. It is also going to be fairly flat, so it looks like it would be a good opportunity to ride it on the Sun EZ Sport.
RicR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-13, 08:36 AM   #2
JimF22003
Senior Member
 
JimF22003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Northern VA
Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2
Posts: 2,654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm not a recumbent rider, but I've done BV many times. You will be in good company with other recumbent riders. They are always well represented. I'm guessing there will be a lot more of them out this year because of the favorable terrain.

I might give it a miss this year, because I'm more of a mountain fan, and I'm pretty familiar with the area, but I highly recommend the event and its organization.
JimF22003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-13, 01:07 PM   #3
osco53
Old Fart In Training
 
osco53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Central Florida
Bikes: Trek CrossRip 3, Easy Racer Tour Easy LE,Sun EZ-3, Scott Spark 760 2014 Dahon Speed P8
Posts: 2,087
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
http://bikevirginia.org/2012-routes/

,,,just cuz,,,
osco53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-13, 06:08 PM   #4
Balsawings
Senior Member
 
Balsawings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Miami, FL
Bikes: Trek Crossrip 2.1, Trek Dohmane 2.3, Sun EZ Sport AX
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicR View Post
Just wondering. I've never done it, but this year it is practically going to be in my back yard, and hard to pass up. It is also going to be fairly flat, so it looks like it would be a good opportunity to ride it on the Sun EZ Sport.
Looks like a really nice tour. I'm looking for a laid back tour for my first. This one looks like it might fit the bill. I'm in serious need of a vacation next year and I really want to get out of Florida. Most folks go to Florida to get away from it all. I need a vacation to get away from Florida. I've put this on my list of tours to consider.

Bob
Balsawings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-13, 08:59 PM   #5
RicR
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: SE VA
Bikes: Sun EZ Sport CX
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsawings View Post
Looks like a really nice tour. I'm looking for a laid back tour for my first. This one looks like it might fit the bill. I'm in serious need of a vacation next year and I really want to get out of Florida. Most folks go to Florida to get away from it all. I need a vacation to get away from Florida. I've put this on my list of tours to consider.

Bob
Bob, I'm thinking seriously about doing this. Let me know if you decide to go.

Ric
RicR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-13, 06:21 AM   #6
Balsawings
Senior Member
 
Balsawings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Miami, FL
Bikes: Trek Crossrip 2.1, Trek Dohmane 2.3, Sun EZ Sport AX
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicR View Post
Bob, I'm thinking seriously about doing this. Let me know if you decide to go.

Ric
Ric, my ultimate goal is to tour. As you know from the Sun topic, I've been working on getting the bike ready for comutting/touring. Now the bike is good for comutting, but I've got more work to do to the bike to have it ready for touring. I've got to relace the front wheel (rusty spokes), replace the chain, buy better paniers and find longer handlebars (refer to the Sun topic) to have the bike ready. I've been doing a lot of research on camping gear, tents, sleeping pads, and such. I haven't camped in years and none of my gear is suitable to bike camping. I've been thinking of doing a self supported tour to Key West in March as a shake down. It's only 120 miles from the house so if anything goes wrong I'll be close enough to home to be "rescued". I hope that doesn't happen.

I will keep this tour in mind and unless something that looks more interesting comes up, it could happen. It will give me a timeline to have everything ready and a goal to acheive. It would be quite an acheivment for me to make 400 + miles in six days.

Bob
Balsawings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-14, 12:48 PM   #7
jimbalaya
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Bikes: Easy Racers Tour Easy, Trek 850 Mountain Track
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for posting this, Ric. Hadn't heard of this event before.

I may be down for the weekend bike escape http://bikevirginia.org/weekend-bike-escape-2014/ over those days.
Spent some time riding around Jamestown and Williamsburg in June 2013 and really enjoyed it. This will be a good reason to go back this year.
jimbalaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-14, 01:52 PM   #8
RicR
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: SE VA
Bikes: Sun EZ Sport CX
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbalaya View Post
Thanks for posting this, Ric. Hadn't heard of this event before.

I may be down for the weekend bike escape http://bikevirginia.org/weekend-bike-escape-2014/ over those days.
Spent some time riding around Jamestown and Williamsburg in June 2013 and really enjoyed it. This will be a good reason to go back this year.
Jimbalaya, I saw the weekend escape, and I'm trying to decide if I want to try that for the first time or register for the whole event. I'll post once I register. If you go would love to meet up and put a name with a face and maybe do some riding together.

Ric
RicR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-14, 12:32 PM   #9
jimbalaya
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Bikes: Easy Racers Tour Easy, Trek 850 Mountain Track
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicR View Post
Jimbalaya, I saw the weekend escape, and I'm trying to decide if I want to try that for the first time or register for the whole event. I'll post once I register. If you go would love to meet up and put a name with a face and maybe do some riding together.

Ric
Sounds good. I'll keep an eye out for your update.
jimbalaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:24 AM.