Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    BMX tire inflation

    I have a temp set of BMX 20" maxxis. They suggest 85-110 psi. I normally run Marathon Supreme at 50-85 psi. Will it matter if I run the Maxxis lower at say 80 psi. I weigh 190lbs. Will it make a difference in whether the tube can handle the pressure with the Maxxis set at 90 psi?

  2. #2
    Senior Member jdon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,154
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bentrider7 View Post
    I have a temp set of BMX 20" maxxis. They suggest 85-110 psi. I normally run Marathon Supreme at 50-85 psi. Will it matter if I run the Maxxis lower at say 80 psi. I weigh 190lbs. Will it make a difference in whether the tube can handle the pressure with the Maxxis set at 90 psi?
    No, it won't matter. In muddy conditions, I will deflate to about 40 psi for better traction. Be aware of pinch flats though.

    Welcome to BF. This sub forum is Foo, where we tend to discuss irrelevant issues. Maybe try posting your question in the BMX MTB specific sub forum for better results. Then come back here to be silly.

  3. #3
    Super Moderator no1mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NE OK
    My Bikes
    '06 Kona Smoke
    Posts
    7,742
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moved from Foo.

    Reason why I chose here instead of the above suggested forums is because the OP has a trike of unknown design and make.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Ride what and in what manner pleases you. Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind. srsly.
    Community guidelines

  4. #4
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thanks

    Thanks for the reply.


    Quote Originally Posted by jdon View Post
    No, it won't matter. In muddy conditions, I will deflate to about 40 psi for better traction. Be aware of pinch flats though.

    Welcome to BF. This sub forum is Foo, where we tend to discuss irrelevant issues. Maybe try posting your question in the BMX MTB specific sub forum for better results. Then come back here to be silly.

  5. #5
    rebmeM roineS JanMM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Posts
    11,527
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by no1mad View Post
    Moved from Foo.

    Reason why I chose here instead of the above suggested forums is because the OP has a trike of unknown design and make.
    The name bentrider confirms you chose the correct forum.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

  6. #6
    Senior Member osco53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Central Florida
    My Bikes
    Sun Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3, Scott Aspect 29er HT, Walmart Thruster 700c single speed..
    Posts
    628
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put de air in de tires and roll em down the road,,,

    or was it lime in de coconut and eat em all up,,,

    I dunno.
    Scott Aspect 940 29er, Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3 sx, Walmart Thruster :P

  7. #7
    Senior Member BlazingPedals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Middle of da Mitten
    My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Posts
    7,103
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bentrider7 View Post
    I have a temp set of BMX 20" maxxis. They suggest 85-110 psi. I normally run Marathon Supreme at 50-85 psi. Will it matter if I run the Maxxis lower at say 80 psi. I weigh 190lbs. Will it make a difference in whether the tube can handle the pressure with the Maxxis set at 90 psi?
    First, inner tubes are not rated for pressure. The tires are what handle the pressure. Pressure recommendations are based on tire construction, size, and intended weight and use. You can always run tires at lower pressures, but running them too low will allow the tire to bottom out, which can lead to pinch flats, where the rim literally hammers a hole in the tube. This type of flat is also called a 'snakebite' because it's typically manifested as two small holes next to each other.

    For road use, a tire is correctly inflated when it flattens out 10-15% on the bottom when you're on the bike. Trikes can typically run lower pressures than bikes, since each tire has less loading than on a bike.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •