Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-17-14, 03:29 PM   #1
RicR
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: SE VA
Bikes: Sun EZ Sport CX
Posts: 31
Rear Wheel Removal Question?

Had my first flat today on the EZ Sport. It was close to home and a slow leak, so I was able to pump it up and limp home, thank goodness. My question is how is the best way to manage this bike to remove and install the rear wheel? Do I flip it over on its seat back and bars? Lay it on its side with the chain up? Or is it best to try and hold the rear of the bike up to drop and install the rear wheel? The bike could be awkward to try and support from the rear so I wanted to know what others do, before I tackle this task. I should have thought this through earlier, but neglected to, and I am glad I didn't have to experiment on the side of the road. You suggestions are appreciated? Ric
RicR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-14, 04:40 PM   #2
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...
 
Dudelsack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Loovul
Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
Posts: 6,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicR View Post
Lay it on its side with the chain up?
This.
__________________
Signature line for rent.
Dudelsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-14, 06:58 PM   #3
JanMM
rebmeM roineS
 
JanMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In Central IN
Bikes: RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
Posts: 13,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
This.

Agreed.
__________________
RANS V3 - Ti, RANS V-Rex - cromo, RANS Screamer - cromo
JanMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-14, 08:41 PM   #4
BlazingPedals
Senior Member
 
BlazingPedals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Middle of da Mitten
Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
Posts: 8,729
Option 2 or 3, whichever is easier for you. Don't turn it upside down, that'll be harder and you'll damage something.
BlazingPedals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-14, 07:01 AM   #5
Retro Grouch 
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Posts: 26,373
I don't know for sure exactly what your bike looks like.

My general system is to hold the bike upright and pop the wheel off from the bottom. Then I lay the bike on it's side with the chain facing up while I mess with the flat. I'm also a believer in shifting into the smallest rear cog first to make aligning the chain easier when it's time to re-install the wheel.

If you can up end your bike and make it stand stable I don't usually have a problem with inverting it. The exception has to do with the control cables. If they look like they are going to get in the way, don't do it because you risk kinking one of them. A kinked shift cable will screw up your indexing and will need to be replaced.
__________________
My greatest fear is all of my kids standing around my coffin and talking about "how sensible" dad was.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-14, 07:49 AM   #6
Wilbur Bud
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fishers Indiana
Bikes: Longbikes Slipstream
Posts: 352
Double kickstand and just leave it upright.
__________________
Longbikes Slipstream
Wilbur Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-14, 07:57 AM   #7
cplager
The Recumbent Quant
 
cplager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Norwalk, CT
Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis
Posts: 3,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilbur Bud View Post
Double kickstand and just leave it upright.
This also makes it much easier to tune your drivetrain (if you have a RWD bike which I don't... ).
cplager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-14, 08:31 AM   #8
Aushiker
Senior Member
 
Aushiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fremantle, Western Australia
Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Giant Defy
Posts: 1,002
With my one and only rear tyre flat (two on the front but) I turned the bike over but I am having trouble getting the wheel back into the frame. I think it needs a touch of spreading. That all said I like the idea of lying it on its side. I hadn't considered that before.

Andrew
Aushiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-14, 08:32 AM   #9
Aushiker
Senior Member
 
Aushiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fremantle, Western Australia
Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Giant Defy
Posts: 1,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by cplager View Post
This also makes it much easier to tune your drivetrain (if you have a RWD bike which I don't... ).
Roadside chain lubing when on tour



Andrew
Aushiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-14, 03:51 PM   #10
osco53
Senior Member
 
osco53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Central Florida
Bikes: Easy Racer Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3, Scott Spark 760 2014 Dahon Speed P8
Posts: 1,869
I carry a length of light duty rope incase I need to tie something down, It has almost no weight....

Lots of trees around me, lots of limbs to suspend the bike inches from the ground.

I like the simplicity and lighter weight of my single jiffy stand..

Last edited by osco53; 01-21-14 at 03:31 PM.
osco53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-14, 06:42 PM   #11
RicR
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: SE VA
Bikes: Sun EZ Sport CX
Posts: 31
Thanks to all for the response and great suggestions. I like the rope idea and will get some in the event there is a tree limb near by, and if not first attempt will be to hold the bike upright until rear wheel is dropped and then lay bike on its side chain up, or if necessary lay the bike on its side chain up to remove the wheel. Ric
RicR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-14, 11:26 PM   #12
Balsawings
Senior Member
 
Balsawings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Miami, FL
Bikes: Trek Crossrip 2.1, Trek Dohmane 2.3, Sun EZ Sport AX
Posts: 86
Ric, This is actually something I hadn't thought of. I think I'll take some time tomorrow to experiment with the best way to pull the rear wheel on my bike. I would love to have one of the double kiskstands on the EZ Sport. It would make it much easier, but since it won't fit we don't have that option. I'll let you know how it comes out on my end and we'll compare notes.

Bob
Balsawings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-14, 01:47 PM   #13
Balsawings
Senior Member
 
Balsawings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Miami, FL
Bikes: Trek Crossrip 2.1, Trek Dohmane 2.3, Sun EZ Sport AX
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicR View Post
Thanks to all for the response and great suggestions. I like the rope idea and will get some in the event there is a tree limb near by, and if not first attempt will be to hold the bike upright until rear wheel is dropped and then lay bike on its side chain up, or if necessary lay the bike on its side chain up to remove the wheel. Ric
Ric, The only way I would change the rear wheel/tire while the bike is laying on the ground is if there are no trees around. What a pain in the ***. It's do-able but it's tough. I then tried hanging the bike from a tree using 1/4 inch woven line. This proved to be a very satisfactory way of working on the bike. By tying the line to the top bar on each side the bike hangs level. For changing the rear wheel, just hang the bike so the rear wheel is 6 inches off the ground and it's just like working in a stand. I also used Velcro one strap to hold the front brake so the bike didn't move fore and aft. The line is now in my seat bag.


Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0331.jpg (104.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0329.jpg (102.7 KB, 11 views)
Balsawings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-14, 05:13 PM   #14
RicR
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: SE VA
Bikes: Sun EZ Sport CX
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsawings View Post


Ric, The only way I would change the rear wheel/tire while the bike is laying on the ground is if there are no trees around. What a pain in the ***. It's do-able but it's tough. I then tried hanging the bike from a tree using 1/4 inch woven line. This proved to be a very satisfactory way of working on the bike. By tying the line to the top bar on each side the bike hangs level. For changing the rear wheel, just hang the bike so the rear wheel is 6 inches off the ground and it's just like working in a stand. I also used Velcro one strap to hold the front brake so the bike didn't move fore and aft. The line is now in my seat bag.


Bob
Bob, I have to agree with you. I got my flat fixed today. Started out trying to hold it upright with one hand and remove the wheel with the other. The LWB kicked my butt. Since luckily I was at home and not beside the road, I propped the back wheel up by placing a stool under the bottom of the frame near the back. I still had to balance the bike but was able to drop the wheel and get the the chain off. The tire came off the rim easily, and I got the tube replaced and the tire mounted back on the rim with no problem. Pumped it up to about 50 lbs and realized I had not checked the rotation of the tire. I had a 50 % chance of getting it right, but wouldn't you know I didn't. So let the air out of the tire, removed the tire and tube and reversed the rotation and mounted it a second time. This time I had it correct and it inflated to 100 lbs psi with no problem. I was able to mount it back on the bike using the same stool for support and this time leaned the bike up against the wall for support and used 2 hands to mount the wheel. The wheel went on with no problems. Took it for a 20 mile ride this afternoon and it held up fine.

While I had the tire and tube off the rim I noticed that the rim strip was only a thin piece of rubber sort of like a large rubber band around the rim. I think I need to replace this with something better. Also noticed the rims feel nice and light, but wonder if they are durable. I guess time will tell and something I will watch, but wondered what your thoughts of the stock rims are, as I am certainly not an expert? Also, While mounting the wheel and spinning it to be sure it was centered between the brake pads, I noticed it has gotten out of true quite a bit in the 470 miles I have ridden it thus far. So much so that I had to back off the adjustment at the brake lever all the way for the tire to rotate fully without rubbing on the pad. I called the shop where I bought it and I'm taking it in Tuesday and get them to true the wheel and check all the adjustments while there. A length of rope is also on my shopping list for tomorrow. Thanks for the feed back. Ric

Last edited by RicR; 01-19-14 at 05:30 PM.
RicR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-14, 07:13 PM   #15
BlazingPedals
Senior Member
 
BlazingPedals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Middle of da Mitten
Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
Posts: 8,729
When i have to take the rear wheel off while on a ride, I first loosen the Q/R skewer, then stand on the non-drive side and lift the rear end off the ground. With one hand, I pull the derailleur cage back, which releases the wheel to drop out of the dropouts. I set the wheel aside and then lie the bike on its side, preferably in grass. After working on the tire/wheel, I reverse the procedure. Wrap the chain on the correct sprocket to match the gear indicator on the shifter, and pull the derailler cage back. The wheel falls into the dropouts with only a little bit of extra guidance. I've found that sometimes it's easier to install the wheel if the skewer is completely removed. (Don't lose parts!) As the final step, lift the rear end off the ground using just the ends of the skewer to make sure the wheel is firmly seated where it belongs, then flip the lever closed.

At no time would having the bike upside-down be an advantage.

Last edited by BlazingPedals; 01-19-14 at 07:14 PM. Reason: edited to remove redundant sentence.
BlazingPedals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-14, 08:05 PM   #16
Balsawings
Senior Member
 
Balsawings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Miami, FL
Bikes: Trek Crossrip 2.1, Trek Dohmane 2.3, Sun EZ Sport AX
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
When i have to take the rear wheel off while on a ride, I first loosen the Q/R skewer, then stand on the non-drive side and lift the rear end off the ground. With one hand, I pull the derailleur cage back, which releases the wheel to drop out of the dropouts. I set the wheel aside and then lie the bike on its side, preferably in grass. After working on the tire/wheel, I reverse the procedure. Wrap the chain on the correct sprocket to match the gear indicator on the shifter, and pull the derailler cage back. The wheel falls into the dropouts with only a little bit of extra guidance. I've found that sometimes it's easier to install the wheel if the skewer is completely removed. (Don't lose parts!) As the final step, lift the rear end off the ground using just the ends of the skewer to make sure the wheel is firmly seated where it belongs, then flip the lever closed.

At no time would having the bike upside-down be an advantage.
This is how I change the wheels on my DF's. Hadn't really thought about doing it the same way with the EZ Sport since it is so much longer and heavier. Probably how I will remove the wheel if there are no trees around.

Thanks for your impute.

Bob
Balsawings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-14, 08:22 PM   #17
Balsawings
Senior Member
 
Balsawings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Miami, FL
Bikes: Trek Crossrip 2.1, Trek Dohmane 2.3, Sun EZ Sport AX
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicR View Post
While I had the tire and tube off the rim I noticed that the rim strip was only a thin piece of rubber sort of like a large rubber band around the rim. I think I need to replace this with something better. Also noticed the rims feel nice and light, but wonder if they are durable. I guess time will tell and something I will watch, but wondered what your thoughts of the stock rims are, as I am certainly not an expert? Also, While mounting the wheel and spinning it to be sure it was centered between the brake pads, I noticed it has gotten out of true quite a bit in the 470 miles I have ridden it thus far. So much so that I had to back off the adjustment at the brake lever all the way for the tire to rotate fully without rubbing on the pad. I called the shop where I bought it and I'm taking it in Tuesday and get them to true the wheel and check all the adjustments while there. A length of rope is also on my shopping list for tomorrow. Thanks for the feed back. Ric
Ric, that small piece of rubber is typical for a rim strip. All it's there for is to keep the tube from rubbing against the spoke nipples. I've been told that the wheels on my bike a Velocity's. They are double walled and aluminum. The only markings on the wheel is a label that says "HJC alloy 6160-T6". I know that the 6160-T6 is the aluminum alloy the wheels are made of. I don't know what HJC stands for. I've been thinking about building new wheels for the bike using Velocity's A23 wheels. I have no problem with the wheels that are on the bike but just want to build a set with better hubs. Haven't figured out which hubs to use yet. I want something better than the Shimano Deour LX hubs but at the same time something easy to work and easy to get parts for when on tour.

If you have the same wheels, then I don't think you have anything to worry about. They are good wheels. I'm having the same problem with the trueness of my wheels. When I put the new brake pads on, I noticed that both wheels are just a little out of true. I'm going back to the bike shop on Thursday and will have them take a look at them then.

Bob
Balsawings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-14, 05:07 PM   #18
RicR
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: SE VA
Bikes: Sun EZ Sport CX
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
When i have to take the rear wheel off while on a ride, I first loosen the Q/R skewer, then stand on the non-drive side and lift the rear end off the ground. With one hand, I pull the derailleur cage back, which releases the wheel to drop out of the dropouts. I set the wheel aside and then lie the bike on its side, preferably in grass. After working on the tire/wheel, I reverse the procedure. Wrap the chain on the correct sprocket to match the gear indicator on the shifter, and pull the derailler cage back. The wheel falls into the dropouts with only a little bit of extra guidance. I've found that sometimes it's easier to install the wheel if the skewer is completely removed. (Don't lose parts!) As the final step, lift the rear end off the ground using just the ends of the skewer to make sure the wheel is firmly seated where it belongs, then flip the lever closed.

At no time would having the bike upside-down be an advantage.
Thanks for the response. I tried lifting the rear of the bike today and balancing it against my leg and reaching down to pull the derailleur cage back. The weight and size of the LWB EZ sport make it a little difficult it seemed, but I think with practice I could get it.
RicR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-14, 05:11 PM   #19
RicR
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: SE VA
Bikes: Sun EZ Sport CX
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsawings View Post
Ric, that small piece of rubber is typical for a rim strip. All it's there for is to keep the tube from rubbing against the spoke nipples. I've been told that the wheels on my bike a Velocity's. They are double walled and aluminum. The only markings on the wheel is a label that says "HJC alloy 6160-T6". I know that the 6160-T6 is the aluminum alloy the wheels are made of. I don't know what HJC stands for. I've been thinking about building new wheels for the bike using Velocity's A23 wheels. I have no problem with the wheels that are on the bike but just want to build a set with better hubs. Haven't figured out which hubs to use yet. I want something better than the Shimano Deour LX hubs but at the same time something easy to work and easy to get parts for when on tour.

If you have the same wheels, then I don't think you have anything to worry about. They are good wheels. I'm having the same problem with the trueness of my wheels. When I put the new brake pads on, I noticed that both wheels are just a little out of true. I'm going back to the bike shop on Thursday and will have them take a look at them then.

Bob
Bob, thanks for all the information on the wheels. I was always under the impression that rim tape was a better option, but again, I'm no expert. Since I don't want to Hi Jack my own thread on removing the rear wheel, and the wheel issue is strictly related to Sun EZ Sport, I think I will open a new thread in the Sun Thread you started. Please look for my response there.
RicR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-14, 08:03 AM   #20
seely
The Rabbi
 
seely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 5,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsawings View Post
I've been thinking about building new wheels for the bike using Velocity's A23 wheels. I have no problem with the wheels that are on the bike but just want to build a set with better hubs. Haven't figured out which hubs to use yet. I want something better than the Shimano Deour LX hubs but at the same time something easy to work and easy to get parts for when on tour.
Butting in here -- first the A23 is a great choice. I'm starting to recommend them more and more for touring/rando type riding as they're proving to be incredibly durable for their weight. I believe part of that is due to the tubeless ready design, which in my understanding creates a much stronger sidewall and web (the inner wall of the rim). They build up beautifully too, if I may say so.

For hubs, you might want to look at options from White Industries or Phil Wood, they are both US made and easily serviced. Extremely high quality with long, long service intervals too. Shameless plug: if you get the hubs, we can build them to A23's for you in house here at Velocity.
seely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-14, 08:02 PM   #21
Balsawings
Senior Member
 
Balsawings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Miami, FL
Bikes: Trek Crossrip 2.1, Trek Dohmane 2.3, Sun EZ Sport AX
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by seely View Post
Butting in here -- first the A23 is a great choice. I'm starting to recommend them more and more for touring/rando type riding as they're proving to be incredibly durable for their weight. I believe part of that is due to the tubeless ready design, which in my understanding creates a much stronger sidewall and web (the inner wall of the rim). They build up beautifully too, if I may say so.

For hubs, you might want to look at options from White Industries or Phil Wood, they are both US made and easily serviced. Extremely high quality with long, long service intervals too. Shameless plug: if you get the hubs, we can build them to A23's for you in house here at Velocity.
Seely, I appreciate your chiming in. I want the best touring wheels possible and I really like the A23's. Your recommendation for the hubs is noted. I must admit that I'm leaning towards the Phil Wood hubs.

I'm trying to figure out manufactured my wheels. The markings on the wheel is a label that says "HJC alloy 6160-T6". I know that the 6160-T6 is the aluminum alloy the wheels are made of. I don't know what HJC stands for. They are double wall with eyelets. Are these Velocity wheels or a different manufacture. I would like to purchase some Veloplugs if they are Velocity's. If not, will the plugs fit other wheels.

Thaks

Bob
Balsawings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 07:42 AM   #22
seely
The Rabbi
 
seely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 5,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsawings View Post
Seely, I appreciate your chiming in. I want the best touring wheels possible and I really like the A23's. Your recommendation for the hubs is noted. I must admit that I'm leaning towards the Phil Wood hubs.

I'm trying to figure out manufactured my wheels. The markings on the wheel is a label that says "HJC alloy 6160-T6". I know that the 6160-T6 is the aluminum alloy the wheels are made of. I don't know what HJC stands for. They are double wall with eyelets. Are these Velocity wheels or a different manufacture. I would like to purchase some Veloplugs if they are Velocity's. If not, will the plugs fit other wheels.

Thaks

Bob
No problem! None of our rims would be stamped "HJC", my guess would be that they're probably an OEM Asian manufacturer just from what I've seen Googling the name.

You may be able to get away with using Veloplugs, regardless. If you have a way to accurately measure the inside holes, I can give you an idea of if they will work or not, but officially "we don't recommend using them with other manufacturers rims" though quite a few people do successfully.
seely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-14, 09:04 AM   #23
southpier
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 69
so it's the smallest rear gear & large chainring?

ps: if anyone needs help installing Honjo fenders - I'm NOT the one to ask .....
southpier is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:23 AM.