Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Dayton OH
    My Bikes
    2013 Trek One Series
    Posts
    95
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Those bents with that big windshiel

    Does it actually help with aerodynamics or is it just for bug catching?

    It seems that over the top, it would help move the air since there is not as much space between the top edge and the top of your head, but around the sides it seems like it would create more of a problem since there is such a big gap between the back edge and your body.

    I keep thinking about them when I pass them, no interest in buying a bent, I just wonder as I'm riding along what purpose it serves. Seems like it is more weight than it would be worth.

    If I got a bent, it would end up being a trike, and I'd see about reclining that seat as flat as I can get it while still being fairly comfortable, if I was trying to get some aerodynamics.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Northwestrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Gig Harbor, WA
    My Bikes
    Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Bacchetta Strada, Rodriguez Tandem
    Posts
    2,115
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never ridden with one, an advantage I do see is that it may keep the rider a bit more warm. I doubt there is much of a help to speed however.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Incheon, South Korea
    My Bikes
    Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb
    Posts
    2,547
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Helps with head winds. Team mate on the last fleche sliced through em. Also offers mounting points for lights etc.

  4. #4
    Senior Member BlazingPedals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Middle of da Mitten
    My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Posts
    7,115
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They help a little bit. Add a sock, too, and it's good for 2-3 mph over stock (at 18-20 mph.) The weight penalty means that a bike that's more aerodynamic to start, such as a highracer or a lowracer, has an advantage. Despite being low, a trike would not have an advantage.

  5. #5
    recumbent bike advocate Tractortom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Okeechobee. Florida
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Belladare, long wheelbase
    Posts
    418
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride a Bacchetta Belladare (long wheel base 26x20) with a fairing. I have never been a guy who worries about the weight of a bike too much, as I weigh 240+ lbs. The fairing is VERY light, indeed when it is not installed on the bike it rolls up into a tube about 6", the mounts are welded aluminum tubing and stainless steel band clamps. It was quick to install, only took about an hour, and I have found it to add about 1-1.5mph average when it is installed, as it seems to cut the air around the bike and my very bulky body. I bought it mostly to give me some protection from the afternoon rain we get here in Okeechobee, FL in the summer and like it very much on a long ride when the wind is blowing....

    Tractor Tom in Okeechobee, FL

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Dayton OH
    My Bikes
    2013 Trek One Series
    Posts
    95
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    They help a little bit. Add a sock, too, and it's good for 2-3 mph over stock (at 18-20 mph.) The weight penalty means that a bike that's more aerodynamic to start, such as a highracer or a lowracer, has an advantage. Despite being low, a trike would not have an advantage.
    I was figuring on the trike, putting a fairing and since i'm almost flat, I'd be a bit more aerodynamic than any other set up. I'd have to muck around with some kind of strap type of system to hold myself onto the trike though. But then, I'd probably be better off going with a full body and get full aerodynamics. May as well a put a motor on then. They have motors on them, I know, but I just think about stuff when riding.

  7. #7
    The Recumbent Quant cplager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Norwalk, CT
    My Bikes
    2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis
    Posts
    2,807
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    Despite being low, a trike would not have an advantage.
    Wait... Why?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tractortom View Post
    I ride a Bacchetta Belladare (long wheel base 26x20) with a fairing. I have never been a guy who worries about the weight of a bike too much, as I weigh 240+ lbs. The fairing is VERY light, indeed when it is not installed on the bike it rolls up into a tube about 6", the mounts are welded aluminum tubing and stainless steel band clamps. It was quick to install, only took about an hour, and I have found it to add about 1-1.5mph average when it is installed, as it seems to cut the air around the bike and my very bulky body. I bought it mostly to give me some protection from the afternoon rain we get here in Okeechobee, FL in the summer and like it very much on a long ride when the wind is blowing....
    I really want to see pictures.
    http://Charles.Plager.net
    http://RecumbentQuant.blogspot.com

  8. #8
    recumbent bike advocate Tractortom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Okeechobee. Florida
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Belladare, long wheelbase
    Posts
    418
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cplager View Post

    I really want to see pictures.
    Don't think I have any on this computer, but when I get home tonight I'll post a couple of photos I took when the fairing was first installed...

    Tractor Tom in Okeechobee, FL

  9. #9
    Insane Bicycle Mechanic Jeff Wills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    other Vancouver
    Posts
    6,728
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WrightVanCleve View Post
    Does it actually help with aerodynamics or is it just for bug catching?

    It seems that over the top, it would help move the air since there is not as much space between the top edge and the top of your head, but around the sides it seems like it would create more of a problem since there is such a big gap between the back edge and your body.

    I keep thinking about them when I pass them, no interest in buying a bent, I just wonder as I'm riding along what purpose it serves. Seems like it is more weight than it would be worth.

    If I got a bent, it would end up being a trike, and I'd see about reclining that seat as flat as I can get it while still being fairly comfortable, if I was trying to get some aerodynamics.
    The fairing helps. It's highly bike- or trike-design dependent, but it always helps.

    On my LWB Easy Racer bikes, installing a front fairing reduces aero drag by about 10%. Adding a body sock drops another 5%, plus the shade from the 'sock can keep you cooler on a hot day. That's a lot of advantages for 2 or 3 pounds, about the weight of a water bottle.

    On my SWB Lightning, switching from no-fairing to 3/4 fairing (it wasn't 100% coverage) dropped my 10-mile time trial time from 26 minutes to 23 minutes with no other changes. I had to take it off because I couldn't ride it slow enough for my wife to keep up.

    Since you're in Dayton, you should look up Garrie Hill. He's part of the Midwest Recumbent Mafia and pretty knowledgeable about recumbent and fairing design. He hangs out on the Recumbents.com forum.

    A full hard-shell fairing is the ultimate, but they're custom-built, hard to maintain, usually fragile, and very expensive. But when they're done right, they're very, very fast:
    Human Power Team Delft & Amsterdam

    Last edited by Jeff Wills; 06-25-14 at 10:27 PM.
    Jeff Wills

    All my bikes.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Northwestrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Gig Harbor, WA
    My Bikes
    Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Bacchetta Strada, Rodriguez Tandem
    Posts
    2,115
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I enjoyed watching how they started the fully faired bent in the video above

  11. #11
    Senior Member BlazingPedals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Middle of da Mitten
    My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Posts
    7,115
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WrightVanCleve View Post
    I'd have to muck around with some kind of strap type of system to hold myself onto the trike though.
    Not sure what you mean by that. Trikes have seats. If you add a full body, it's called a Velomobile. My buddy has done 28.5 mph average for a century in his Quest velomobile. That's a hundred miles in 3:36; and in case that's not apparent, it was solo. Who needs a motor???

    But for most trikes, you're taking a design that's inherently slower, and then you're adding a fairing that doesn't even cover the front wheels. You'll gain a little, but it still won't be as fast as a fast 2-wheeler.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Incheon, South Korea
    My Bikes
    Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb
    Posts
    2,547
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you stop while in a fairing and not just fall over sideways?

  13. #13
    rebmeM roineS JanMM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Posts
    11,546
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by krobinson103 View Post
    How do you stop while in a fairing and not just fall over sideways?
    If you are referring to a velomobile, those are generally trikes.
    A fairing is just a front windscreen/windshield.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

  14. #14
    Senior Member BlazingPedals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Middle of da Mitten
    My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Posts
    7,115
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by krobinson103 View Post
    How do you stop while in a fairing and not just fall over sideways?
    In the case of a 2-wheeler; to be streetable it'll have either landing gear or foot/arm holes. Virtually all commercial velomobile offerings are 3-wheeled, in which case balance takes care of itself. If you've just got a front fairing, access to the ground is unimpeded.

  15. #15
    Senior Member bent4me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Englishtown, NJ
    My Bikes
    Recumbents
    Posts
    125
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have fairings on both my LWB Rans Stratus and my ICE T trike. I am a slow rider so the benefits are weather protection, cold and rain. It was said that speed with a fairing increases over 15 mph. since I average 10 it has no speed benefit. I recently took off the fairing on my trike after 6 yrs and love the open feel. I will probably re-install come Winter or if I do another tour. I am thinking of removing the fairing on my Stratus as I find no real benefit anymore and it does catch the wind in a negative way at times. Again will re-install come Winter.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Trikin''s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Surrey B.C. Canada
    My Bikes
    Catrike Trail
    Posts
    246
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride the Catrike Expedition and use a Windwrap fairing. The fairing works well in heavy headwinds as well as keeping my feet dry in heavy downpours. A couple years back our winter was bitterly cold, the fairing defected the worst of the chill and kept my feet from freezing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Boise, Idaho
    My Bikes
    Catrike Speed tadpole trike, Rans F5 recumbent, 1973 Motobecane Road Bike
    Posts
    27
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride my trike all winter in Boise Idaho, with a windwrap fairing. It looks about like Trikin's trike. My main benefit is keeping my feet warmer in the winter. I wear Keen Commuter sandals with wool socks all winter, to below zero. It does also help in headwinds compared to a DF, and might add a little aerodynamic advantage, but not much. When in a group ride, when we turn into the wind I always gain on the DFs that are ahead of me. I don't take if off in the summer. Too lazy, and not enough benefit in taking it off.

    "I'd have to muck around with some kind of strap type of system to hold myself onto" You totally don't need a seatbelt on a trike.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •