Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 145
  1. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Sin City, Nevada
    My Bikes
    Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, Wizwheelz 3.4 trike, Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB
    Posts
    768
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too many misconceptions being posted here by those who scorn recumbents.

    I do sit in a seat and do so precisely to eliminate weight on my hands, pressure on my shoulders, or on my neck. All of the weight is not centered on a small part on my butt because the trike I currently ride has a 25 degree seat angle. It is laid back enough to spread the weight out across most of my body, principally my butt and back. It truly is like riding in a comfortable lawn chair. Sometimes when I finish a long ride I sit in it to relax before getting up. Only one of my three trikes has a head rest and it does not create any discomfort on an extended ride. It positions my head perfectly to look through my progressive eyeglass lenses. I've never made any changes to a recumbent seat in order to make it more comfortable.
    Somewhere I have a picture taken of me years ago about half way on a metric century ride on a very high quality road bike (Motobecane Le Champion). There's no smile on my face, just a look of grim determination. I think that's why it made it into the local newspaper reporting on the event. That's not how I feel these days after riding the same distance. By the way, my trike will climb hills quite well. I've never walked it up even the steepest hill in my area. They weren't fun at first but now that I have developed my "trike legs" I just consider them part of the ride and don't go out of my way to avoid them. Sure is fun going back down.

  2. #52
    Uber Goober StephenH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Dallas area, Texas
    Posts
    10,538
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I first started riding as an adult, I bought a $100 mountain bike. The seat on it felt like sitting on a 2x4. I assumed it was because it was small. So I bought a $20 cruiser seat and stuck it on there and all was good, seatwise.
    Then I went to a Worksman cruiser. Of course, it came with a comfy cruiser seat and all was good.
    Then I bought a Raleigh Sojourn. It came with a Brooks pre-aged B17. It was a lot narrower than the cruiser seats but just as comfortable. Getting it, I realized the seat on that $100 mountain bike was uncomfortable because it was a piece of crap, not because it was narrow.
    There seem to be plenty of people that are perfectly comfortable on conventional bike seats and also plenty of people that are convinced that no one could ever be comfortable on any bike seat. I see no way to reconcile the two groups. I assume a good many of the no-way-on-any-seat people just haven't tried the right seat, but there's not much of a way to show that.

    One of our local recumbent riders occasionally has problems with knee pain on long rides.
    One of our local recumbent riders occasionally has hot-foot problems.
    So they are not necessarily a cure to every problem.

    I know some fast recumbent riders and some slow recumbent riders. I only know two people that have switched from upright to recumbent, and they are both slower than they were on uprights. So I don't know if that's a general trend or not. If so, then the fast recumbent riders must have really been something on upright bikes.
    "be careful this rando stuff is addictive and dan's the 'pusher'."

  3. #53
    Senior Member BlazingPedals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Middle of da Mitten
    My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Posts
    7,115
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenH View Post
    ... I assume a good many of the no-way-on-any-seat people just haven't tried the right seat, but there's not much of a way to show that.
    I'm one of the ones who never found any seat fully comfortable; the best ones were *bearable.* While it's possible I never found the "right seat," it wasn't for lack of trying. I once heard someone (an upright rider, BTW,) describe how to find the right saddle:

    "Put $600 in your new saddle account and start buying saddles. When you run out of money, add another $600. Repeat until you find one you like. It will be discontinued; so when it wears out you get to start the process all over again."

  4. #54
    Senior Member delcrossv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Scalarville
    Posts
    970
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenH View Post
    I know some fast recumbent riders and some slow recumbent riders. I only know two people that have switched from upright to recumbent, and they are both slower than they were on uprights. So I don't know if that's a general trend or not. If so, then the fast recumbent riders must have really been something on upright bikes.
    I've always been consistently faster on the bent than on the upright. With the latest bike, a lot faster. I think it has to do with when you started riding them. Not too many young folks on bents, but those that are are pretty fast in my experience. Also, the interesting effect that riding a bent will make you faster on a DF but not the other way 'round.
    Lightning P-38 / M5 M-Racer/Ryan Vanguard

  5. #55
    Senior Member BlazingPedals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Middle of da Mitten
    My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Posts
    7,115
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by delcrossv View Post
    I've always been consistently faster on the bent than on the upright.
    It took me most of the first year to get my former speed back. Then I got into fairings, followed by speedier bents. Some folks never progress beyond that first phase, and of course not all bents are speedier than an upright road bike. Bent speed capabilities run the gamut, from slow to fast -- just like upright bikes do. Comparing my best speeds from my Trek road bike (when I was 15 years younger,) and my current crop of recumbents, I am anywhere from 3 to 6 mph faster on the bents - without fairings.

  6. #56
    Senior Member Notso_fastLane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Medford, OR
    My Bikes
    Kona MTN bike, Bent TW Elegance
    Posts
    686
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    It took me most of the first year to get my former speed back. Then I got into fairings, followed by speedier bents. Some folks never progress beyond that first phase, and of course not all bents are speedier than an upright road bike. Bent speed capabilities run the gamut, from slow to fast -- just like upright bikes do. Comparing my best speeds from my Trek road bike (when I was 15 years younger,) and my current crop of recumbents, I am anywhere from 3 to 6 mph faster on the bents - without fairings.
    It took me two years, but I'm now about 2-5 mph faster on average than I was on my roadbike. The bent weight is slightly heavier than my old roadbike, but by the time I put all the stuff on for daily commuting, I suspect they are very close to the same weight, so I don't think it's that. My bent has consistently been faster on the flats and downhill, but I've just in the past couple months got to where my average is higher than my DF averages.

  7. #57
    Senior Member rydabent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lincoln Ne
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Posts
    3,827
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Faster or slower really isnt the point. The question is are you enjoying a bike ride that is free of pain, especially on longer rides? Again IMO pain is for fools.

  8. #58
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
    The question is are you enjoying a bike ride that is free of pain, especially on longer rides? Again IMO pain is for fools.
    Seat pain was rarely an issue for me on a DF, neck pain was sometimes an issue but I usually handled it.

    Quote Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
    Faster or slower really isnt the point.
    For me it was/is. I love the increased efficiency. Where I used to cruise at 16-18 mph, I'm now consistently over 20. On hills where I hit 45mph, I now go over 50 - consistently. I actually had to buy new sunglasses to go over my small prescription glasses because the added speed made my eyes water & I had difficulty seeing the road. I totally love it.

    Recumbents might not be for everyone as earlier comments demonstrate but I've been riding DFs for over 30 years (road & mtb) & my main regret is that I didn't try a bent sooner.

  9. #59
    Senior Member Retro Grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    St Peters, Missouri
    My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Posts
    23,754
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
    Faster or slower really isnt the point. The question is are you enjoying a bike ride that is free of pain, especially on longer rides? Again IMO pain is for fools.
    I can agree 100% with that.

    On the other hand, I have no idea how much tushie or neck discomfort other people are feeling. I can only assume that, if the pain got severe enough, they'd make some kind of change.
    My greatest fear is all of my kids standing around my coffin and talking about "how sensible" dad was.

  10. #60
    Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In The Wind
    Posts
    25,375
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
    Just to stir things up a bit, I ask just who do they think they are kidding. In the DF vs bent argument, how can DF riders claim they are as comfortable their bikes as a bent rider is? They are sitting on a narrow hard seat, and we are mainly setting on a lawn chair. In the argument DF riders seem to forget that most of us bent riders have put tens of thousands of miles on DF our selves. From experience we know where of we speak.
    What year did you ever ride 10,000 miles on a bent?
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

    Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

  11. #61
    Senior Member BlazingPedals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Middle of da Mitten
    My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Posts
    7,115
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10 Wheels View Post
    What year did you ever ride 10,000 miles on a bent?
    Did he say it was in one year?

  12. #62
    Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In The Wind
    Posts
    25,375
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    Did he say it was in one year?
    " bent riders have put tens of thousands of miles on DF our selves. From experience we know where of we speak."
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

    Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

  13. #63
    Senior Member rydabent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lincoln Ne
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Posts
    3,827
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    10

    That is 10 of thousands of miles over the many years of riding DF bikes in my lifetime.

    And that is right at 15,000 miles on bents since I began to ride them in late 2005.

  14. #64
    Travelling hopefully chasm54's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Uncertain
    Posts
    6,693
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
    10

    That is 10 of thousands of miles over the many years of riding DF bikes in my lifetime.

    And that is right at 15,000 miles on bents since I began to ride them in late 2005.
    These aren't terribly high mileages. It isn't unusual for me to ride 10000 miles in one year on a number of DF bikes. I am extremely comfortable on them, or I wouldn't do it. Some saddles don't work for me, but many do - on my four current bikes I have a Brooks Swift, a Brooks B17, a Fizik Aliante and a stock Giant saddle that I think is a copy of a Selle Italia. All are fine for the riding positions on the different bikes. I do a fair bit of touring. On one tour I covered 2500 miles in less than two months on the B17 and can honestly say I suffered zero saddle pain on the whole tour.

    The fact that you have been uncomfortable on DF bikes does not mean that everyone suffers similarly. The fact that some find it difficult to find a saddle that suits them does not mean that others are hiding a secret pain. The fact that you dislike riding a drop-bar road bike in a flat-backed aerodynamic position does not mean that I cannot ride upwards of 120 miles in a day in that position, and like it.

    I feel no hostility or sense of superiority to those who ride recumbents. If that's what they like, that's fine with me. You ride your bike, and I'll ride mine. But kindly don't project: I'm perfectly comfortable, thanks very much.
    There have been many days when I haven't felt like riding, but there has never been a day when I was sorry I rode.

  15. #65
    The Recumbent Quant cplager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Norwalk, CT
    My Bikes
    2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis
    Posts
    2,809
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
    The fact that you have been uncomfortable on DF bikes does not mean that everyone suffers similarly.
    I have tried (on numerous occasions) to explain this to him.
    http://Charles.Plager.net
    http://RecumbentQuant.blogspot.com

  16. #66
    Senior Member rydabent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lincoln Ne
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Posts
    3,827
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    chasm

    Casual observation of DF riders at sag stops indicate that the ave DF rider does expericence at least discomfort. Add to that all the talk about buying many saddles and what brand is best reinforces the fact that many people are never really comfortable on DF saddles. Im happy that you say you are.

  17. #67
    Senior Member Duane Behrens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Minnesota and Southern California
    My Bikes
    2009 Specialized Tarmac (CF), 1980 Nishiki (steel), 1984 Raleigh Super Course (steel), 1988 Schwinn World Sport (steel), 2009 Sp. Roubaix (carbon)
    Posts
    517
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
    Look at the DF seat. If you go to a well stocked LBS, or look in a cycling catalog, there are a ton of different DF seats. You would think at after more than 100 years someone would have come up with a seat that is comfortable. With all those seats available, it is logical to assume no such seat exists.
    Brooks B17. Your logic is based on fallacy.

    brooks top.jpg
    The world is full of kind people. If you can't find one - BE one.

  18. #68
    Senior Member streetstomper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    115
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This whole thing reminds me of the Mac vs. PC debate. There will be Mac users/recumbent riders on one side and PC users/DF riders on the other. PC users say Macs cost a lot more for comparable components, likewise DF riders point to recumbent prices. They'll say Macs have more limited software selection and recumbents climb more slowly. They'll be defensive about their systems and bikes, saying they're perfectly comfortable and have no problems. The other side will argue that Macs and recumbents have the far better user experience but often take their argument to the other extreme, claiming there's no discomfort whatsoever (look up "recumbutt" or see various threads about alternative padding, memory foam, Ventisit, etc.) or problems using OS X (Apple has made their share of blunders and seems to be more arrogant about the user interface after Steve's passing).

    The truth of course is somewhere in the middle. Nothing is perfect. Although on balance, Macs and recumbents are far closer to the ideal.

  19. #69
    Senior Member osco53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Central Florida
    My Bikes
    Sun Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3, Scott Aspect 29er HT, Walmart Thruster 700c single speed..
    Posts
    632
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can ride my Tour Easy casually all day long pain free....
    I will never part with it.

    I can do 20 hard intense miles in the woods on my Hard Tail Mountain bike for a very extreme workout,,,
    Because my EZ-1 then my Tour Easy got me back in the saddle.

    I just bought a cheap Single speed...
    I am having a blast on my brand spanking new $69 Walmart single speed,,, I am not nor will ever be a bike snob.
    It looks cool hanging above my multi thousand dollar Bent and my Hydraulic brake equipped mountain bike.. buwhahahaha.

    Life on two wheels is good,

    There is no debate on what's better IMO, It's all just bored people who should try riding different kinds of bikes, troll's they are called ?

    "My bike Is better than your bike, Yada yada yah !"

    The horrible burden of self importance,,,,
    What eva,
    Last edited by osco53; 07-29-14 at 05:32 PM.
    Scott Aspect 940 29er, Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3 sx, Walmart Thruster :P

  20. #70
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    332
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even if my DF was really uncomfortable I wouldn't notice.

    The discomfort I put myself through doing intervals, hill repeats, threshold tests and racing far exceed the mild discomfort that an ill fitted bike or poorly chosen saddle would get me (my fit and saddle are great though tyvm) and so the bike truly does disappear from beneath me.

    All I feel is the ache in my legs, the burn in my lungs, the thumping of my chest in my ears and a little voice somewhere deep inside that tries to convince me that maybe for once I should take it a bit easier. But I ignore all those things, push on harder, suffer more and am happier for it.

  21. #71
    just another gosling Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Everett, WA
    My Bikes
    CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004
    Posts
    8,081
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm comfortable on any of my DF bikes. 400k in the mountains? No problem. The really weird thing about recumbents to me is that they look fast, they should be fast, yet even though I'm an old, slow geezer, I've never been passed by one while on one of my singles, on the flat, up hill, or descending. I usually go by them like they are standing still. Except for the special case of fully faired HPVs, though I've passed those by the side of the road on really long rides, never to be seen again, I think because of the lack of ventilation. They overheat, dehydrate, or something.

    Now that I'm almost 70 and only ride tandem with my wife, we've been passed by a couple of 'bents, but passed more. I mean, really! 134 y.o., and a watts/kg of 1.54 and we go by them? I really, really don't get it.

    On the first half of the recent one-day STP we were just barely passed by two 30-something athletic-looking men on (in?) a recumbent tandem trike. We could outclimb them, but they could outrun us on the flat. Like I said, really? We saw them stopped at the midway point but never saw them again, so maybe they were doing the two-day. They looked quite uncomfortable. The thing's frame had like no give in it so every little bump jarred them badly. Shaken baby syndrome. When we see a big hit coming, we just stand and don't feel a thing.

    Did I mention that we're very comfortable?

  22. #72
    Senior Member streetstomper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    115
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I can rest my case. Here came a couple of DF riders into the recumbent subforum not to discuss recumbents but to dismiss them. And to write up suffering as if that's something wonderful. Just like many Windows trolls visit Mac sites just to put down Macs. How defensive is that?

  23. #73
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    332
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by streetstomper View Post
    I guess I can rest my case. Here came a couple of DF riders into the recumbent subforum not to discuss recumbents but to dismiss them. And to write up suffering as if that's something wonderful. Just like many Windows trolls visit Mac sites just to put down Macs. How defensive is that?
    If I'm one of the DF riders you're talking about I'd like to know where I dismissed recumbents?

    Who's the troll?

  24. #74
    Senior Member streetstomper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    115
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are. I think lowriders and chopper bikes are stupid, but you would never find me posting in that subforum. I just don't feel a need to go out of my way to put down those bikes and their owners. That subforum is for those interested in those bikes, not those who don't like them. Likewise, only those DF riders who have some kind of inferiority complex go into the recumbent subforum to say they don't need recumbents, recumbents are slow, recumbents look stupid, yadda yadda.

  25. #75
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duane Behrens View Post
    Brooks B17. Your logic is based on fallacy.

    brooks top.jpg
    Yes, the fact that it's the perfect saddle must explain why absolutely everybody has one on their bikes. How much market share does Brooks have again?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •