Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Rides and Races (http://www.bikeforums.net/rides-races/)
-   -   Rides and Races suggestions - (http://www.bikeforums.net/rides-races/238191-rides-races-suggestions.html)

pitboss 10-18-06 02:52 PM

Rides and Races suggestions -
 
One simple request:

outside of alleycats/races (which have a sticky already), there should only be ONE thread for each region/city. Multiple threads will be merged for organizational purposes.

Thanks

PS> If you have any other suggestions for making this sub-forum a better place, add it below. Thanks again for all the input on what to do with all the city threads. I hope this helps!

ryand 10-18-06 02:56 PM

perhaps it should be called "Regional Rides, Races, and Threads" so that newcomers to the forum will know that they can look there for a thread for the city they are living in.

chimblysweep 10-18-06 02:56 PM

that doesn't make sense.
many races attract people from multiple cities, and need their own threads to discuss travel and rooming arrangments.

you've already pulled the actual ride-your-bike part off the main forum to "declutter." can we just leave the races the way they are?

transplant 10-18-06 02:57 PM

but we can have a thread for individual races, correct?

chimblysweep 10-18-06 02:58 PM

i dunno, transy. that might start some kind of MAYHEM, DISORDER, CLUTTER, and MADNESS.

utter and sheer madness.

spud 10-18-06 03:00 PM

how about calling it "useful threads"

and if a thread isnt about pie, beards, pistas, iros, drinking, cops, messenger bags: it gets moved here.

transplant 10-18-06 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chimblysweep
i dunno, transy. that might start some kind of MAYHEM, DISORDER, CLUTTER, and MADNESS.

utter and sheer madness.

normally i'm all for mayhem. my room is hardly the pinacle of oderly, my mind is cluttered and madness is pervasive in my everyday life.

that said, i think there's a compelling argument to be made for allowing races to have their individual threads.

chimblysweep 10-18-06 03:04 PM

ooo. i think we should come up with a catalogue system. using Mr. Dewey's clever system incorporated numbers and decimals, i think we can make order where there is none.

we should create a ton of numerical subforums and make everyone file their thread based on dewey subject number. i.e. "chimblysweep threads go here" would be a 920. race reports, 904. and so on.

transplant 10-18-06 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chimblysweep
ooo. i think we should come up with a catalogue system. using Mr. Dewey's clever system incorporated numbers and decimals, i think we can make order where there is none.

we should create a ton of numerical subforums and make everyone file their thread based on dewey subject number. i.e. "chimblysweep threads go here" would be a 920. race reports, 904. and so on.

ohoh, my heart skipped a beat.

pitboss 10-18-06 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spud
how about calling it "useful threads"

and if a thread isnt about pie, beards, pistas, iros, drinking, cops, messenger bags: it gets moved here.

good call

chimbly - no reason to pump up the drama (there is enough in the ss/fg forum, ya), and I like the idea of the individual 'cats threads. how about this:

races and cats can have their own threads. after the race date, they are merged into the sticky?

chimblysweep 10-18-06 03:09 PM

after the race date they have reports in them. then they naturally die off the first page.
no use sorting out the pizza crusts before they disappear into the landfill.

i just,
you know...
why all the moderation? you already segregated. now you wanna clean up too? without giving it a chance? new rules? i don't need to tell you that the forum was the way it was for a long time and we all survived and had relatively happy and productive lives.

drama? i'd call it resistance. i mean, we don't need to ejukashun. i hate when people call objection "drama." more americans aught to be objecting to more bullplop, and encouraging eachother to do so, not trying to tone it down and turn it off.

spud 10-18-06 03:11 PM

that sounds like a good idea, and rename the thread past alleycats; so people don't post in it about new races.

spud 10-18-06 03:11 PM

what you dont eat the pizza crusts?!

transplant 10-18-06 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [165]
good call

chimbly - no reason to pump up the drama (there is enough in the ss/fg forum, ya), and I like the idea of the individual 'cats threads. how about this:

races and cats can have their own threads. after the race date, they are merged into the sticky?

no drama here, just boredom.

merged into which sticky exactly?

i feel like invdividual race threads serve are meaningful even after the race date. people swap stories, photos, etc. etc. and it's useful to be able to go back and find those same things again. the systems sorts itself out - the current stuff stays near the top as people post and the old stuff falls to the back.

chimblysweep 10-18-06 03:12 PM

i was just thinking about this great episode of Foster's where Harrimon made the friends alphabetically sort their garbage because it "should be" that way.

pitboss 10-18-06 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chimblysweep
that doesn't make sense, josh.
many races attract people from multiple cities, and need their own threads to discuss travel and rooming arrangments.

you've already pulled the actual ride-your-bike part off the main forum to "declutter." can we just leave the races the way they are?

you've?

I asked people for ideas and insight - the majority said it would be a good idea (and I would agree since before two years ago, the SS/FG forum was FAR from the off-topic threadpit that it has become) to put the rides/races/regionals into an area that would remain separate, yet still attached to the SS/FG forum.

If you look at the Forum header (bikeforums landing page), there is a regional section. It was suggested that the regional threads go that way. I asked quite a few people about this as I wanted these threads to remain intact and attached to this forum in some way. But they were not as visible as they should be.

Nothing was pulled, it was given proper facilities.

spud 10-18-06 03:15 PM

we so need to watch more bollywood when you come visit

marqueemoon 10-18-06 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [165]
races and cats can have their own threads. after the race date, they are merged into the sticky?

Post-race there is about as much activity as pre-race though with people posting pics and whatnot. Merging sounds like a lot of work for you anyway. I hardly ever looked at the rides/alleycats/races sticky because it's too much of a jumble.

I don't see anything wrong with each ride/race/'cat having its own thread. The ongoing rides will get bumped up to the top and the one-time events will drop down after everyone has posted the pics, etc...

If multiple posts on the same topic become a problem you could merge them by topic, or maybe just create stickies for the major races/rides.

Just my two cents for whatever it's worth.

pitboss 10-18-06 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by transplant
no drama here, just boredom.

merged into which sticky exactly?

i feel like invdividual race threads serve are meaningful even after the race date. people swap stories, photos, etc. etc. and it's useful to be able to go back and find those same things again. the systems sorts itself out - the current stuff stays near the top as people post and the old stuff falls to the back.

good idea - how about I lock the sticky (leaving it in place, but nothing more to be added) and then we try you route for a bit?

chimblysweep 10-18-06 03:16 PM

spud:
totally. the bollywood version of pride and prejudice was so the jam. especially the dance segments.

actually, i'm going to egypt/jordan/syria next, so it may have to move farther east. i'm sure egyptian film is equally stimulating, though possibly less dancy.

[165]:
are you sure it's a problem of the forum structure and not the forum readers/posters? i don't think the current decline can be solved with regimentation of content. i think the problem is different.

transplant 10-18-06 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [165]
good idea - how about I lock the sticky (leaving it in place, but nothing more to be added) and then we try you route for a bit?

i see what you're saying, you're concerned about overlap between the stick and having individual threads? i don't believe the two are necessarily mutually exclusive. the sticky is cool because you can see everything that's happening in one big view. the individual race threads allow people to plan, share, etc. i just think those individual race threads should be allowed to "run their course" and not necessarily be merged/deleted after the race or even some period thereafter.

<edit>
i see the sticky thead as a big wall where people post flyers. if they want more detail about the race, finding a place to stay, for instance, they go to that indivudal race thread
</edit>

spud 10-18-06 03:20 PM

really? that area of the world doesnt interest me much, i've been invited to go trekking in South America and chill in Puerto Rico. I still want to go to Eritrea + Ethiopia and Iceland.

pitboss 10-18-06 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chimblysweep
are you sure it's a problem of the forum structure and not the forum readers/posters? i don't think the current decline can be solved with regimentation of content. i think the problem is different.

I think you know the answer to that.

And the decline was already happening before the other forum sites opened.

ps - can you edit out my name please? thanks
(nevermind - I did it.)

pitboss 10-18-06 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by transplant
i see what you're saying, you're concerned about overlap between the stick and having individual threads? i don't believe the two are necessarily mutually exclusive. the sticky is cool because you can see everything that's happening in one big view. the individual race threads allow people to plan, share, etc. i just think those individual race threads should be allowed to "run their course" and not necessarily be merged/deleted after the race or even some period thereafter.

<edit>
i see the sticky thead as a big wall where people post flyers. if they want more detail about the race, finding a place to stay, for instance, they go to that indivudal race thread
</edit>

indeed - makes sense. it's a go.

jrowe 10-18-06 03:39 PM

Great idea 165.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:25 PM.