Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 97 of 99 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899 LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,425 of 2452
  1. #2401
    Dances With Cars TRaffic Jammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    My Bikes
    TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)
    Posts
    10,527
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They'll most likely have a series of house bike rentals for the track courses

  2. #2402
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    76
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For anyone interested, i can help facilitate

    http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-s...AdIdZ462568504

  3. #2403
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    58
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh wow, a Toronto thread? What's up everyone!?

    I've recently started riding on the street and in bike lanes and yeah.. shared lanes are ****ing scary as ****. Especially when buses run on the same lanes.
    Last edited by Hieberrr; 03-08-13 at 06:53 PM.

  4. #2404
    Senior Member jet sanchEz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    7,387
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hieberrr View Post
    I've recently started riding on the street and in bike lanes and yeah.. shared lanes are ****ing scary as ****. Especially when buses run on the same lanes.
    Just check behind you every 20 or 30 seconds and you should be fine. It will become second nature after awhile and I cannot tell you how many times my life has been saved because I knew what was going on behind me.

  5. #2405
    Dances With Cars TRaffic Jammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    My Bikes
    TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)
    Posts
    10,527
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was poking around and I can get a complete Argon18 Electron for about $1100, hmmm

  6. #2406
    Dances With Cars TRaffic Jammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    My Bikes
    TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)
    Posts
    10,527
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    x100 to Jet's post. that's why I don't ride with music either.

    Jet.... I've been fixed only for over a year now. Almost as fast on FG as on SS

  7. #2407
    최승현 Point4ska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    My Bikes
    Felt; Cervelo T1
    Posts
    190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRaffic Jammer View Post
    I was poking around and I can get a complete Argon18 Electron for about $1100, hmmm
    A buddy of mine's uncle is a frame designer for Argon18 and got him the Electron for $425. I am very jealous, but he did offer me the chance to get a cheap frame.

  8. #2408
    Senior Member jet sanchEz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    7,387
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRaffic Jammer View Post
    x100 to Jet's post. that's why I don't ride with music either.

    Jet.... I've been fixed only for over a year now. Almost as fast on FG as on SS
    Wow, cool. I have been riding geared mostly, I love fixed but I feel really fast on my old De Rosa.

  9. #2409
    Shiftless bum cavit8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Ciocc fixed, Raleigh record winter bike, Bianchi Grizzly SS, Pinarello Surprise, Raleigh Twenty, Bridgestone Picnica, various sundry bits and pieces...
    Posts
    2,674
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRaffic Jammer View Post
    x100 to Jet's post. that's why I don't ride with music either.
    Yes, the doppler effect is your friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by operator
    truneo that tuned park internal nipple wrench work ??

  10. #2410
    Shiftless bum cavit8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Ciocc fixed, Raleigh record winter bike, Bianchi Grizzly SS, Pinarello Surprise, Raleigh Twenty, Bridgestone Picnica, various sundry bits and pieces...
    Posts
    2,674
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ericssonboi View Post
    For anyone interested, i can help facilitate

    http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-s...AdIdZ462568504

    You should get your buddy to post a frame size. Immensely helpful...
    Quote Originally Posted by operator
    truneo that tuned park internal nipple wrench work ??

  11. #2411
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    58
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure where to ask, but is there a Bikes Direct equivalent for Canada?

    I'm starting to save up for a nice new road bike (SS or even geared) and I was hoping to spend no more than $500. I know i can import it from the States, but I'd rather get it locally.

    What are my options?

  12. #2412
    최승현 Point4ska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    My Bikes
    Felt; Cervelo T1
    Posts
    190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hieberrr View Post
    I'm not sure where to ask, but is there a Bikes Direct equivalent for Canada?

    I'm starting to save up for a nice new road bike (SS or even geared) and I was hoping to spend no more than $500. I know i can import it from the States, but I'd rather get it locally.

    What are my options?
    There isn't. Especially not for Toronto. Just spend $400 on a Kilo TT and dedicate $100 for duties + the forwarding service. Don't use the UPS store like bikesdirect suggests because the UPS store fees are ridiculous. I used $20 on gas to pick up, $10 to the company that let me store it and $30 for taxes when crossing.

  13. #2413
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    58
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Point4ska View Post
    There isn't. Especially not for Toronto. Just spend $400 on a Kilo TT and dedicate $100 for duties + the forwarding service. Don't use the UPS store like bikesdirect suggests because the UPS store fees are ridiculous. I used $20 on gas to pick up, $10 to the company that let me store it and $30 for taxes when crossing.
    Damn, I was really hoping this wasn't the case. I've never driven to Niagara Falls yet and I'm pretty sure my family members are reluctant to drive me for a bike, so hm. I'll definitely plan this trip out in more detail and w/e next year when I get a new bike.

    Thanks for the info, ska.

    I also wanted to ask: Kilo TT or Windsor Wellington 2.0/3.0?
    Last edited by Hieberrr; 04-01-13 at 01:25 PM.

  14. #2414
    최승현 Point4ska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    My Bikes
    Felt; Cervelo T1
    Posts
    190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hieberrr View Post
    Damn, I was really hoping this wasn't the case. I've never driven to Niagara Falls yet and I'm pretty sure my family members are reluctant to drive me for a bike, so hm. I'll definitely plan this trip out in more detail and w/e next year when I get a new bike.

    Thanks for the info, ska.

    I also wanted to ask: Kilo TT or Windsor Wellington 2.0/3.0?
    You should try to get your family in on a group buy. Casually mention that they might need some bikes in their life.

    The Kilo TT is a better bang for your buck.

  15. #2415
    Senior Member jet sanchEz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    7,387
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, ship it to CBI and you will save money in the long run plus you can hit the outlets in Niagara Falls. I would suggest that you declare it at the border though as you will only be paying a small duty but if you get caught and flagged, getting across the border in the future will be a nightmare. A friend did this and she was flagged for 5 years or so, not worth it.

    Here is the CBI site, I believe that your bike would be there within 2 days of ordering it.

    http://www.cbiusa.com/

  16. #2416
    Uninformed Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Union County, NJ
    Posts
    798
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a member or two that live in Buffalo as well that could possibly assist with a purchase.

    Also, you have the potential for multi-modal transportation. The GO train goes from Toronto to Niagara Falls. From there you can walk/bike/taxi/bus to the US side. Could potentially be a pain/not worth it, obviously.

  17. #2417
    Senior Member iherald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,274
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jet sanchEz View Post
    I would suggest that you declare it at the border though as you will only be paying a small duty but if you get caught and flagged, getting across the border in the future will be a nightmare.
    I can tell you that I did this with my carbon cross bike, and no one has any idea how much bikes are. So you can usually declare a lower value and people won't bat an eye. I'm not saying you should do this!
    I rode CanadaWide for Cancer in 2006! I rode 6850km and raised over $110 000 for kids with cancer. Check out the journal at: http://www.cyclingforcancer.ca

  18. #2418
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey gang,

    I've been a long time lurker and a first time poster. I've been a cyclist for approaching a decade now, but last year I was in an accident and totaled my road bike. After a bit of rehab I would like to get back in the saddle this summer, but I would like a change of pace and I'm thinking of a single speed bike for short 30-40km rides and commuting, both for exercise (I've put on 30lbs since the accident!) and to working/rehabbing my way back to being able to ride a road bike for my long distance rides. I don't have much of a budget at the moment, and I was eyeing the SE Draft at $299. The only place I've found in Toronto that sells the SE Draft is Bikes on Wheels, and they want $399 (or $100 over msrp) for it and they aren't willing to negotiate! I was wondering if you guys knew anywhere else in Toronto that sold SE bikes, or if you could suggest an alternative in that price range (I can do $350 before tax max, I have a pump, patch kit, tools, lock etc at home already. Will need a new helmet though).

    Thanks everyone! Stay safe out there

    Kelly

  19. #2419
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Paramount (50th Anniversary Edition)
    Posts
    36
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Kelly,
    That's a bummer about BoW, though perhaps for the best. The SE Lager is all hi-ten, isn't it? I know the KHS Urban Soul has a cro-mo frame (but a hi-ten fork), and I think Bateman's has it on for $409. They also just did a big 'bike swap' and might have a used bike. Or find something on Craigslist - I just saw an ad for a Masi Speciale Fixed (full cro-mo) for $350.

  20. #2420
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is high tensile steel, but that doesn't bother me so much - it's for training and commuting (so the extra weight is actually good!), and I would feel less bad about leaving a high tensile steel bike locked up downtown/outside in the rain than a 'nicer' bike that should deserve some love. I only have room to store one bike inside at my place, and I'm reserving that spot for my future roadbike.

  21. #2421
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Paramount (50th Anniversary Edition)
    Posts
    36
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could try this place for the Draft: http://espressocycles.ca/bikes/se-bikes/
    I honestly can't think of another new single-speed that would be less than $400. Perhaps Craigslist and Kijiji is the best option for you.

  22. #2422
    Uninformed Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Union County, NJ
    Posts
    798
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it is for commuting, training, and will be locked up, I'd go to a co-op and buy/build yourself something suitable. A singlespeed (most likely a conversion) can be had for much cheaper than a new bike at retail, and in some instances will be a better frame.

  23. #2423
    Successful alcoholic krusty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    877
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been rather quiet on this thread, and I haven't figured out where else everyone might be. For those still around, I will likely be doing a parts bin cleanout soon. This year's goodies include an NJS frameset. It's a Stratos, grey in color, 52.5ish in size (will measure soon), but takes 8mm front axle and 110mm rear spacing. Excellent condition with no dents and mint Keirin papers intact on the seat tube. It will come with Hatta headset and BB. I'm afraid it will not be available at my usual price (free). I will have to ask a modest sum for it, as I have a second Nagasawa on the way soon.

    Hope everyone is well.
    Last edited by krusty; 07-29-13 at 03:56 PM.

  24. #2424
    Yup pyze-guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    where the sunbeams end and the starlight begins
    My Bikes
    C-dale Bad Boy, Fixed Wheeler MTB
    Posts
    3,025
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by krusty View Post
    It's been rather quiet on this thread, and I haven't figured out where else everyone might be. For those still around, I will likely be doing a parts bin cleanout soon. This year's goodies include an NJS frameset. It's a Stratos, grey in color, 52.5ish in size (will measure soon), but takes 8mm front axle and 110mm rear spacing. Excellent condition with no dents and mint Keirin papers intact on the seat tube. It will come with Hatta headset and BB. I'm afraid it will not be available at my usual price (free). I will have to ask a modest sum for it, as I have a second Nagasawa on the way soon.


    Hope everyone is well.
    I still have a bunch of the goodies from previous years. Wore out the raceface crank, still using easton bar and seatpost though. Always willing to "rummage" through thebin.
    When sadness fills my days
    It's time to turn away
    And then tomorrow's dreams
    Become reality to me

  25. #2425
    Successful alcoholic krusty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    877
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pyze-guy View Post
    I still have a bunch of the goodies from previous years. Wore out the raceface crank, still using easton bar and seatpost though. Always willing to "rummage" through thebin.
    You might be interested in a DA cogset. 9-speed I think it is, with some Ti pieces. I'll look tomorrow after work and confirm.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •