Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Rides and Races (http://www.bikeforums.net/rides-races/)
-   -   fixed crit gearing (http://www.bikeforums.net/rides-races/877415-fixed-crit-gearing.html)

UMassAm 03-11-13 10:53 PM

fixed crit gearing
 
what gearing do you use for your favorite road fixed crit?

Spoonrobot 03-12-13 08:02 AM

Course distance? Elevation profile? How many corners? Any idea of what the field is like? How comfortable are you at high cadences for long periods of time?

I've run between 72-84 inches but the races around here generally aren't flat. For a flat crit gearing recommendations are generally around 48/15 or 48/14 but these are usually for roadies who never spin above 100 rpm. If you're coming from a road-fixed or track background something with a little more spin will generally suit you better. 48/16 or 46/15 is what I'd recommend as a general gearing if I had no info about the race.

There's going to be a lot of speed delta going on so you need to have a gear you can spin up really well but still accelerate efficiently out of the corners or when making a jump.

UMassAm 03-12-13 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spoonrobot (Post 15376219)
Course distance? Elevation profile? How many corners? Any idea of what the field is like? How comfortable are you at high cadences for long periods of time?

I've run between 72-84 inches but the races around here generally aren't flat. For a flat crit gearing recommendations are generally around 48/15 or 48/14 but these are usually for roadies who never spin above 100 rpm. If you're coming from a road-fixed or track background something with a little more spin will generally suit you better. 48/16 or 46/15 is what I'd recommend as a general gearing if I had no info about the race.

There's going to be a lot of speed delta going on so you need to have a gear you can spin up really well but still accelerate efficiently out of the corners or when making a jump.

Thanks for the advice. It's a flat course, 4 corners, 15 laps, up to 15 miles (not sure but probably less, 30-45 minutes), field is strong, featuring some racers from a strong local road team. Word is the main pack average pace is around 26mph- which is something I can definitely hack.

I'd think I'd want to aim for around 100 average cadence. I've had 48x15 on all winter so feel pretty comfortable there. Might bump up to 50x15, or 48x14. I've noticed I have slower acceleration compared to other fixies at stop lights commuting, but bomb past them as I get into their draft- thats not a race though.

TMonk 03-12-13 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UMassAm (Post 15377164)
... average pace is around 26mph- which is something I can definitely hack.

what do you mean by this?

do you mean to say that you can avg 26mph for 30+ min by yourself?

UMassAm 03-12-13 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMonk (Post 15378132)
what do you mean by this?

do you mean to say that you can avg 26mph for 30+ min by yourself?

maybe maybe not. i'll either hang, struggle to hang, or get dropped. i feel like i can hang, but i havent hung with them yet so i'll be sure to probably not let you know in a few weeks.

hairnet 03-12-13 03:51 PM

Have you ever raced a crit? Drafting at those speeds isnt that hard until you have to corner and deal with the accordion effect.

UMassAm 03-12-13 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hairnet (Post 15378416)
Have you ever raced a crit? Drafting at those speeds isnt that hard until you have to corner and deal with the accordion effect.

that's the balance i'm wondering about. and yeah, no, i haven't ridden a crit and i've got that brighteyed rookie sense of wonderment at this stuff, but its worth asking because i need to order components for to tune up. if theres no snow this weekend, first regular road crit will be this weekend.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:03 AM.