Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > > >

Rides and Races A place for posting group rides, races, and regional threads for the fixed gear and single speed forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-11-13, 10:53 PM   #1
UMassAm
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Bikes: 4
Posts: 248
fixed crit gearing

what gearing do you use for your favorite road fixed crit?
UMassAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-13, 08:02 AM   #2
Spoonrobot 
Senior Member
 
Spoonrobot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,483
Course distance? Elevation profile? How many corners? Any idea of what the field is like? How comfortable are you at high cadences for long periods of time?

I've run between 72-84 inches but the races around here generally aren't flat. For a flat crit gearing recommendations are generally around 48/15 or 48/14 but these are usually for roadies who never spin above 100 rpm. If you're coming from a road-fixed or track background something with a little more spin will generally suit you better. 48/16 or 46/15 is what I'd recommend as a general gearing if I had no info about the race.

There's going to be a lot of speed delta going on so you need to have a gear you can spin up really well but still accelerate efficiently out of the corners or when making a jump.
Spoonrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-13, 10:58 AM   #3
UMassAm
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Bikes: 4
Posts: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot View Post
Course distance? Elevation profile? How many corners? Any idea of what the field is like? How comfortable are you at high cadences for long periods of time?

I've run between 72-84 inches but the races around here generally aren't flat. For a flat crit gearing recommendations are generally around 48/15 or 48/14 but these are usually for roadies who never spin above 100 rpm. If you're coming from a road-fixed or track background something with a little more spin will generally suit you better. 48/16 or 46/15 is what I'd recommend as a general gearing if I had no info about the race.

There's going to be a lot of speed delta going on so you need to have a gear you can spin up really well but still accelerate efficiently out of the corners or when making a jump.
Thanks for the advice. It's a flat course, 4 corners, 15 laps, up to 15 miles (not sure but probably less, 30-45 minutes), field is strong, featuring some racers from a strong local road team. Word is the main pack average pace is around 26mph- which is something I can definitely hack.

I'd think I'd want to aim for around 100 average cadence. I've had 48x15 on all winter so feel pretty comfortable there. Might bump up to 50x15, or 48x14. I've noticed I have slower acceleration compared to other fixies at stop lights commuting, but bomb past them as I get into their draft- thats not a race though.
UMassAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-13, 02:20 PM   #4
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk
 
TMonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes: (5): Rock Lobster with Shimano/Sram 10sp mix (road), C'dale Caad9 Red (race), Dolan Precursa (track), Ritchey P-650b 1x10sp (mtb), C'dale "Optimo" (SS/FG)
Posts: 8,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMassAm View Post
... average pace is around 26mph- which is something I can definitely hack.
what do you mean by this?

do you mean to say that you can avg 26mph for 30+ min by yourself?
__________________
"Your beauty is an aeroplane;
so high, my heart cannot bear the strain." -A.C. Jobim, Triste
TMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-13, 03:46 PM   #5
UMassAm
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Bikes: 4
Posts: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMonk View Post
what do you mean by this?

do you mean to say that you can avg 26mph for 30+ min by yourself?
maybe maybe not. i'll either hang, struggle to hang, or get dropped. i feel like i can hang, but i havent hung with them yet so i'll be sure to probably not let you know in a few weeks.
UMassAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-13, 03:51 PM   #6
hairnet
Fresh Garbage
 
hairnet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes:
Posts: 12,367
Have you ever raced a crit? Drafting at those speeds isnt that hard until you have to corner and deal with the accordion effect.
hairnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-13, 04:10 PM   #7
UMassAm
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Bikes: 4
Posts: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairnet View Post
Have you ever raced a crit? Drafting at those speeds isnt that hard until you have to corner and deal with the accordion effect.
that's the balance i'm wondering about. and yeah, no, i haven't ridden a crit and i've got that brighteyed rookie sense of wonderment at this stuff, but its worth asking because i need to order components for to tune up. if theres no snow this weekend, first regular road crit will be this weekend.
UMassAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:59 AM.