Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > > >

Rides and Races A place for posting group rides, races, and regional threads for the fixed gear and single speed forum.

User Tag List

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-16-06, 11:59 AM   #2751
sr20det
team mascot
 
sr20det's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Canada - Toronto
Bikes: gt gtb & marinoni pista special.
Posts: 1,264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywhitehorn
yeah, i'd say so! la bicicletta sells those new for 1/3 that price...
I got bored and called them up. $750 for a new Rossin track frameset. Forgot the colors, something like Black/yellow & dark blue/yellow. and they couldn't tell me what tubing it was. oh well.
sr20det is offline  
Old 03-16-06, 12:12 PM   #2752
ventolin
cone wrench carpal tunnel
 
ventolin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
christ on a pogo stick... this thing ain't half bad either.... http://www.labicicletta.com/edatcat/...no=US-ROSSIN11

although... black and yellow you say? That'd go REAL nice with my wheel...
ventolin is offline  
Old 03-16-06, 12:18 PM   #2753
gokiburi
...
 
gokiburi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: toronto
Bikes: sannino track, nishiki olympic conversion
Posts: 873
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ventolin
I've still got the (H) badge from the hood of the Civic we were in at the time... it's my lucky charm in a way, because we all should have been fried pulp. Hold on to that thing!
sr20det: glad to hear you're ok. i thought you were hurt on your bike at first! that's pretty fcked that the woman tried to drive away while air-bagged. nail her on that. feeling any worse this morning?

holy crap.. what the hell's with this honda badge thing. years ago, i was riding my d-back mtb when a driver decides to suddenly brake to make a last second turn. i slam on my brakes and in turn, slam into the back of his hatch back. the car? a honda accord wagon. the guy doesn't even bother to get out and see what happened and just drives away, leaving his dislodged honda badge on the ground. i still have it.

yeah, keith makes great wheels. but don't let him store any for you.
gokiburi is offline  
Old 03-16-06, 12:40 PM   #2754
wasted weasel
---
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Bikes: '05 iro mark V, '04 specialized epic, '04 lemond nevada city, '96 KHS aero comp, '03 norco evolve, '01 louis garneau 2.1, '91 VeloSport, '09 Kona DewPlus
Posts: 466
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywhitehorn
i just thought of another option for you: if you're in the junction neighbourhood, keep riding along annette street towards high park ave. there is a guy on the south side there that has the outside of his house lined (and i mean piled deep) with used frames, parts, etc. he's usually out there on spring summer evenings trading with the neighbourhood kids; i've cruised by and seen some half decent frames there. can't hurt to have a look, if for nothing more than the joy of scrounging.
just to add to that - there is a guy in the east end too (jones and dundas area) who does the exact same thing. He doesn't speak english but has a ton of bike stuff and is always sitting out in front of his house with a couple of wrenches in his hands and a bike pump most days durring the summer. I love scrounging... possibly more than I love looking at new stuff.

we should do a bike shop tour some weekend... then end up a sneaky dees and eat dirty wings for cheap. (btw this weekend is out for me...24hour toronto film challenge)
wasted weasel is offline  
Old 03-16-06, 12:47 PM   #2755
TRaffic Jammer
Dances With Cars
 
TRaffic Jammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Bikes: TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)
Posts: 10,527
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Damn sr20det glad to hear you're ok. Definately keep the badge as a talisman of power.

Cramerotti update:
After an hour of banging with various sized shims and screw drivers I've almost cut through the shortest edge of the now identified alum seatpost leftovers. Buddy from a few doors down pulls up and offers his reciprical (sp?) saw. Could be scary...me and power tools. I keep looking at the internal wiring holes and think hmmmm braided steel cable housing.

Ventolin: how tall are you that the 50 was too small?
DAMN eyefloater showed me the Lemond cross in steel, I like it.
TRaffic Jammer is offline  
Old 03-16-06, 01:03 PM   #2756
ventolin
cone wrench carpal tunnel
 
ventolin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRaffic Jammer
Damn sr20det glad to hear you're ok. Definately keep the badge as a talisman of power.

Cramerotti update:
After an hour of banging with various sized shims and screw drivers I've almost cut through the shortest edge of the now identified alum seatpost leftovers. Buddy from a few doors down pulls up and offers his reciprical (sp?) saw. Could be scary...me and power tools. I keep looking at the internal wiring holes and think hmmmm braided steel cable housing.

Ventolin: how tall are you that the 50 was too small?
DAMN eyefloater showed me the Lemond cross in steel, I like it.

I'm about 5'8" - 5'9" depending on the day. When I first got the frame I was (and still am) in love with it, but had to mess around for ages to get a good setup - initially I couldn't get the stock laprade up high enough without contravening the min insertion mark, and had to replace the post with that easton one that's on there. Then I felt pretty imbalanced, and ended up sending the seat way out back, and sticking a longer stem and those profile horns on it. Worked out ok for a while, but after building up my concorde, and figuring out what a bike that fits feels like... There's something nice about having bars at the right height... being able to get to the drops without kneeing myself in the chest is a feeling I've come to relish

The biggie is actually my wrists, though - I've got some recurring carpal tunnel and tendonitis from computing too much, and I can't get balanced enough on the Ciocc to get the weight off of my hands... starts feeling ok around 30km/h, but under that I find myself holding myself up a lot on the Ciocc.

My concorde is 53s/t, 54t/t, and I'm figuring that my ideal geometry is probably something like 54/54, and I could probably ride 55/55 pretty comfortably too with the right stem length.

Last edited by ventolin; 03-16-06 at 01:09 PM.
ventolin is offline  
Old 03-16-06, 01:21 PM   #2757
jeremywhitehorn
In Velo Veritas
 
jeremywhitehorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Toronto
Bikes: Menonite black urbanite, probably enough spare parts to make anther one.
Posts: 3,013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr20det
I got bored and called them up. $750 for a new Rossin track frameset. Forgot the colors, something like Black/yellow & dark blue/yellow. and they couldn't tell me what tubing it was. oh well.
i was thinking of their road frames.

http://www.labicicletta.com/edatcat/...gno=US-ROSSIN8

i guess i was thinking price wise of what LB was selling them for at the bike show a few years ago.

i know of the track frames you speak of. they are very nice. the black/yellow is steel and the blue/yellow is aluminum w/ aero downtube.
jeremywhitehorn is offline  
Old 03-16-06, 01:28 PM   #2758
eyefloater
Me talk pretty one day.
 
eyefloater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Bikes:
Posts: 2,073
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sr20det,

Ouch man. I'm really glad to hear you're "okay" though. Feel better quick.
eyefloater is offline  
Old 03-16-06, 01:36 PM   #2759
darkmother
Get the stick.
 
darkmother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Toronto, ON
Bikes: 12 Y.O. Litespeed MTB, IRO Jamie Roy fixie, Custom Habanero Ti 'Cross, No name SS MTB, Old school lugged steel track bike (soon)
Posts: 1,543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasted weasel
we should do a bike shop tour some weekend... then end up a sneaky dees and eat dirty wings for cheap. (btw this weekend is out for me...24hour toronto film challenge)
Good call.
darkmother is offline  
Old 03-16-06, 01:40 PM   #2760
cavernmech
Jonnys ilegitimate Father
 
cavernmech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: toronto
Bikes: too many too list
Posts: 2,994
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywhitehorn
i was thinking of their road frames.

http://www.labicicletta.com/edatcat/...gno=US-ROSSIN8

i guess i was thinking price wise of what LB was selling them for at the bike show a few years ago.

i know of the track frames you speak of. they are very nice. the black/yellow is steel and the blue/yellow is aluminum w/ aero downtube.
I rode one of the alu ones for a couple of years. It is a really nice street bike. The steel one is more sprint...short wheelbase.....super steep. The alu one is more pursuit....longer wheelbase...slightly shallower angles. The fork that they come with is still the best track fork I have ever ridden.
cavernmech is offline  
Old 03-16-06, 01:47 PM   #2761
jeremywhitehorn
In Velo Veritas
 
jeremywhitehorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Toronto
Bikes: Menonite black urbanite, probably enough spare parts to make anther one.
Posts: 3,013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavernmech
I rode one of the alu ones for a couple of years. It is a really nice street bike. The steel one is more sprint...short wheelbase.....super steep. The alu one is more pursuit....longer wheelbase...slightly shallower angles. The fork that they come with is still the best track fork I have ever ridden.
i take it it's not drilled for a brake? i've seen the steel one on a club ride one time, steep indeed it was.
jeremywhitehorn is offline  
Old 03-16-06, 01:52 PM   #2762
clipin
spinner
 
clipin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada
Bikes: Ridley,Viner,Pinarello,Fuji,Javelin
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So what happened to all of those 'let's go for a ride on Friday'? I mention green beer and everybody freaks. You ain't from south Boston because there they know how to make green beer. I would think that the big trucks are rolling into southy right now to stock up the parlors for the binge tomorrow. And in Chicago the river is already flowing green.

Of course I drink Guiness and Single Malt and anything else that has a reasonble kick to keep me pedalling smoothly.

I'll be at the Cavern at 1:00pm on Friday if anyone else wishes to hit the streets for our own pre-alley kitten ride. I'll be riding fixed of course.
clipin is offline  
Old 03-16-06, 02:00 PM   #2763
ventolin
cone wrench carpal tunnel
 
ventolin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clipin
So what happened to all of those 'let's go for a ride on Friday'? I mention green beer and everybody freaks. You ain't from south Boston because there they know how to make green beer. I would think that the big trucks are rolling into southy right now to stock up the parlors for the binge tomorrow. And in Chicago the river is already flowing green.

Of course I drink Guiness and Single Malt and anything else that has a reasonble kick to keep me pedalling smoothly.

I'll be at the Cavern at 1:00pm on Friday if anyone else wishes to hit the streets for our own pre-alley kitten ride. I'll be riding fixed of course.

Word - I resigned from my job two weeks ago, and I'm on my last days here, so I might just bail early and head for the cavern around 1 meself...
ventolin is offline  
Old 03-16-06, 02:10 PM   #2764
ventolin
cone wrench carpal tunnel
 
ventolin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavernmech
I rode one of the alu ones for a couple of years. It is a really nice street bike. The steel one is more sprint...short wheelbase.....super steep. The alu one is more pursuit....longer wheelbase...slightly shallower angles. The fork that they come with is still the best track fork I have ever ridden.

I still have this irrational fear of aluminum... like I'm going to bonk it the wrong way and fold it like a tincan, and then whoops... no more bike for me! Would you say that their steel track frame is too steep for street?

On another (non fixed! sorry!) note, Cavernmech, you wouldn't happen to have a set of 32h shimano 7-spd hubs, would you? I'm building up a geared bike for a friend of mine this weekend...
ventolin is offline  
Old 03-16-06, 02:20 PM   #2765
ventolin
cone wrench carpal tunnel
 
ventolin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavernmech
I rode one of the alu ones for a couple of years. It is a really nice street bike. The steel one is more sprint...short wheelbase.....super steep. The alu one is more pursuit....longer wheelbase...slightly shallower angles. The fork that they come with is still the best track fork I have ever ridden.

Heh... weird.... http://toronto.craigslist.org/bik/131779233.html


....and THIS: http://www.bikecult.com/works/collections/rossin68.html

Galdarned thing's got a freakin' dinnerplate for a chainring!!!
ventolin is offline  
Old 03-16-06, 02:34 PM   #2766
sr20det
team mascot
 
sr20det's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Canada - Toronto
Bikes: gt gtb & marinoni pista special.
Posts: 1,264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
theres a rossin for ya from under-the-weather.
sr20det is offline  
Old 03-16-06, 02:38 PM   #2767
wasted weasel
---
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Bikes: '05 iro mark V, '04 specialized epic, '04 lemond nevada city, '96 KHS aero comp, '03 norco evolve, '01 louis garneau 2.1, '91 VeloSport, '09 Kona DewPlus
Posts: 466
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ventolin
haha, awesome.... I don't know anything about philosphy.... that's my philosphy.

btw on 04-02-06 it will be the official 1 year anniversary of this thread, should we have like a celebritory ride in it's honnor?
(I've only met like 3 of you guys in person.... you'd think after a year......)
wasted weasel is offline  
Old 03-16-06, 02:39 PM   #2768
cavernmech
Jonnys ilegitimate Father
 
cavernmech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: toronto
Bikes: too many too list
Posts: 2,994
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ventolin
I still have this irrational fear of aluminum... like I'm going to bonk it the wrong way and fold it like a tincan, and then whoops... no more bike for me! Would you say that their steel track frame is too steep for street?

On another (non fixed! sorry!) note, Cavernmech, you wouldn't happen to have a set of 32h shimano 7-spd hubs, would you? I'm building up a geared bike for a friend of mine this weekend...
You will prolly need to run 8-9 sp hubs. Unless you find something used or NOS everything is going to be 8-9. I sold my last set of Tiagra's this morning. I will look around for something used if ya want? Road or mtn?
cavernmech is offline  
Old 03-16-06, 02:42 PM   #2769
cavernmech
Jonnys ilegitimate Father
 
cavernmech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: toronto
Bikes: too many too list
Posts: 2,994
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ventolin
I still have this irrational fear of aluminum... like I'm going to bonk it the wrong way and fold it like a tincan, and then whoops... no more bike for me! Would you say that their steel track frame is too steep for street?

On another (non fixed! sorry!) note, Cavernmech, you wouldn't happen to have a set of 32h shimano 7-spd hubs, would you? I'm building up a geared bike for a friend of mine this weekend...
Oh...and the Rossin steel is REALLY steep. I rode them both before I decided on the alu one. The 2 inches of toe overlap did not appeal to me. Mind you some folks don't mind that. I like to be able to skid and steer at the same time.
cavernmech is offline  
Old 03-16-06, 02:46 PM   #2770
cavernmech
Jonnys ilegitimate Father
 
cavernmech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: toronto
Bikes: too many too list
Posts: 2,994
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ventolin
Heh... weird.... http://toronto.craigslist.org/bik/131779233.html


....and THIS: http://www.bikecult.com/works/collections/rossin68.html

Galdarned thing's got a freakin' dinnerplate for a chainring!!!
Yeah...that fork is not the one I mentioned. That one is curved...the sweet ones are straight blade. And it is weird that the Rossin in that link says Sugino cranks but they are obviously Suntour Superbes. I wonder if I get a prize for noticing.
cavernmech is offline  
Old 03-16-06, 02:52 PM   #2771
somnambulant
So I says to Mable I says
 
somnambulant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto
Bikes: '05 Urbanite Fixie, '06 Lemond Croix de Fer, '06 Jamis Dragon Pro, '07 IRO Bikeforums Track, '07 Planet-X Uncle John
Posts: 4,947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasted weasel
haha, awesome.... I don't know anything about philosphy.... that's my philosphy.

btw on 04-02-06 it will be the official 1 year anniversary of this thread, should we have like a celebritory ride in it's honnor?
(I've only met like 3 of you guys in person.... you'd think after a year......)
and it's on a Sunday.. *Definitely* a ride.
somnambulant is offline  
Old 03-16-06, 02:57 PM   #2772
ventolin
cone wrench carpal tunnel
 
ventolin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavernmech
You will prolly need to run 8-9 sp hubs. Unless you find something used or NOS everything is going to be 8-9. I sold my last set of Tiagra's this morning. I will look around for something used if ya want? Road or mtn?

Dang... that's kinda what I figured. Road, definitely. The limiting factor here is that the frame is 126mm (more like 125 now that it's been powdercoated), and I'm not much in the mood to cold set it - seems like too much of a hassle. Tried it once on an old Miele using a piece of threaded bar and some nuts (screwing the nuts outward to spread the stays, and the level of paranoia was just too high, not to mention that I couldn't seem to get it to take a set.

Is it possible to space an 8spd hub down to 126mm? And mount a 7spd cassette on it?

Y'know... I'll just call you about it...
ventolin is offline  
Old 03-16-06, 03:05 PM   #2773
cavernmech
Jonnys ilegitimate Father
 
cavernmech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: toronto
Bikes: too many too list
Posts: 2,994
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ventolin
Dang... that's kinda what I figured. Road, definitely. The limiting factor here is that the frame is 126mm (more like 125 now that it's been powdercoated), and I'm not much in the mood to cold set it - seems like too much of a hassle. Tried it once on an old Miele using a piece of threaded bar and some nuts (screwing the nuts outward to spread the stays, and the level of paranoia was just too high, not to mention that I couldn't seem to get it to take a set.

Is it possible to space an 8spd hub down to 126mm? And mount a 7spd cassette on it?

Y'know... I'll just call you about it...
You can use a 7 sp cassette on an 8 sp hub with a spacer...works just fine. If the frame is steel just spread it apart to fit the hub in. It is a bit of a pain when you get a flat but it won't hurt the bike.
cavernmech is offline  
Old 03-16-06, 03:11 PM   #2774
jeremywhitehorn
In Velo Veritas
 
jeremywhitehorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Toronto
Bikes: Menonite black urbanite, probably enough spare parts to make anther one.
Posts: 3,013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
[QUOTE=ventolin]Is it possible to space an 8spd hub down to 126mm? And mount a 7spd cassette on it?QUOTE]

i know this is a fixed and SS forum, but anyway, my $0.02: i've run an 8-speed, 130 spaced 105 road hub on my road frame which is spaced 126 with no problems. the stays will spread open enough for you to get the hub in there. if you're frame is aluminum then that's a different story, but i don't know of many aluminum frames spaced 126. it's only 4mm. plus, good luck getting 7 speed shifers, unless you already have them and then ignore my advice.
jeremywhitehorn is offline  
Old 03-16-06, 03:30 PM   #2775
ventolin
cone wrench carpal tunnel
 
ventolin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavernmech
You can use a 7 sp cassette on an 8 sp hub with a spacer...works just fine. If the frame is steel just spread it apart to fit the hub in. It is a bit of a pain when you get a flat but it won't hurt the bike.

Thanks Cavernmech and monsieur Whitehorn for the sage advice to just jam it in there I think I'll do just that... I like hassle-free solutions... they're beer-compatible YAY!
ventolin is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:42 AM.