Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > > >

Rides and Races A place for posting group rides, races, and regional threads for the fixed gear and single speed forum.

User Tag List

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-11-06, 08:29 PM   #3801
jeremywhitehorn
In Velo Veritas
 
jeremywhitehorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Toronto
Bikes: Menonite black urbanite, probably enough spare parts to make anther one.
Posts: 3,013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr20det
anyways, do you guys have anything planned for the long weekend yet?
maybe riding out to whitby (aka whiteby) to visit the parents for lunch on friday if the weather holds.
jeremywhitehorn is offline  
Old 04-11-06, 08:33 PM   #3802
somnambulant
So I says to Mable I says
 
somnambulant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto
Bikes: '05 Urbanite Fixie, '06 Lemond Croix de Fer, '06 Jamis Dragon Pro, '07 IRO Bikeforums Track, '07 Planet-X Uncle John
Posts: 4,947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm gonna be in Ottawa Thurs - Sat. If anyone wants to go for a ride on Sunday I'll likely be down for that... especially since I'm missing a training ride on Saturday.

eyefloater: I assume you guys are open regular hours on Sunday?
somnambulant is offline  
Old 04-11-06, 08:34 PM   #3803
eyefloater
Me talk pretty one day.
 
eyefloater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Bikes:
Posts: 2,073
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oui, I believe so.

PS. php message en route ...
eyefloater is offline  
Old 04-11-06, 08:36 PM   #3804
operator
cab horn
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione
Posts: 28,306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
maybe riding out to whitby (aka whiteby)
Haha... Oh.
operator is offline  
Old 04-11-06, 08:37 PM   #3805
jeremywhitehorn
In Velo Veritas
 
jeremywhitehorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Toronto
Bikes: Menonite black urbanite, probably enough spare parts to make anther one.
Posts: 3,013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by somnambulant
my chain seems to have stretched all of a sudden.. what's up with that? Suddenly in the past week it doesn't seem to line up with the chainring teeth and it's gotten super noisy. I assume that == chain stretch.

Guess I'll pick up a new one!
how long have you had your current chain? do you mean "line up" from side to side or up and down (great language)? if it's not lined up horizontally then that's a chainline issue. have you changed the chain since installing chainrings/cogs? you can always measure the chain to see if it's worn. according to sheldon brown:

"The standard way to measure chain wear is with a ruler or steel tape measure. This can be done without removing the chain from the bicycle. The normal technique is to measure a one-foot length, placing an inch mark of the ruler exactly in the middle of one rivet, then looking at the corresponding rivet 12 complete links away. On a new, unworn chain, this rivet will also line up exactly with an inch mark. With a worn chain, the rivet will be past the inch mark."
jeremywhitehorn is offline  
Old 04-11-06, 08:39 PM   #3806
jeremywhitehorn
In Velo Veritas
 
jeremywhitehorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Toronto
Bikes: Menonite black urbanite, probably enough spare parts to make anther one.
Posts: 3,013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by somnambulant
I'm gonna be in Ottawa Thurs - Sat. If anyone wants to go for a ride on Sunday I'll likely be down for that... especially since I'm missing a training ride on Saturday.

eyefloater: I assume you guys are open regular hours on Sunday?
i'm not sure yet but i may be riding from mississauga (sp) to glen williams (to the bakery in glen williams) on sunday with some fellow fixie riders. about 100km round trip if you're interested.
jeremywhitehorn is offline  
Old 04-11-06, 08:43 PM   #3807
somnambulant
So I says to Mable I says
 
somnambulant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto
Bikes: '05 Urbanite Fixie, '06 Lemond Croix de Fer, '06 Jamis Dragon Pro, '07 IRO Bikeforums Track, '07 Planet-X Uncle John
Posts: 4,947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywhitehorn
how long have you had your current chain? do you mean "line up" from side to side or up and down (great language)? if it's not lined up horizontally then that's a chainline issue. have you changed the chain since installing chainrings/cogs? you can always measure the chain to see if it's worn. according to sheldon brown:

"The standard way to measure chain wear is with a ruler or steel tape measure. This can be done without removing the chain from the bicycle. The normal technique is to measure a one-foot length, placing an inch mark of the ruler exactly in the middle of one rivet, then looking at the corresponding rivet 12 complete links away. On a new, unworn chain, this rivet will also line up exactly with an inch mark. With a worn chain, the rivet will be past the inch mark."
no, not chainline.. that looks pretty good. It's more like the chain isn't sitting on the ring tight anymore. On the top of the chainring it sits pretty snug, but as the chain wraps around towards the bottom it winds up with a little gap since I think the space between the links is larger than the space between the teeth. Make sense? And yeah, I should just measure it.
somnambulant is offline  
Old 04-11-06, 08:44 PM   #3808
somnambulant
So I says to Mable I says
 
somnambulant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto
Bikes: '05 Urbanite Fixie, '06 Lemond Croix de Fer, '06 Jamis Dragon Pro, '07 IRO Bikeforums Track, '07 Planet-X Uncle John
Posts: 4,947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywhitehorn
i'm not sure yet but i may be riding from mississauga (sp) to glen williams (to the bakery in glen williams) on sunday with some fellow fixie riders. about 100km round trip if you're interested.
I'm still working up to the (likely psychological) 100km barrier. You make it sound casual enough to make me think "I don't want to be Mr LagBehind".
somnambulant is offline  
Old 04-11-06, 08:47 PM   #3809
jeremywhitehorn
In Velo Veritas
 
jeremywhitehorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Toronto
Bikes: Menonite black urbanite, probably enough spare parts to make anther one.
Posts: 3,013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by somnambulant
no, not chainline.. that looks pretty good. It's more like the chain isn't sitting on the ring tight anymore. On the top of the chainring it sits pretty snug, but as the chain wraps around towards the bottom it winds up with a little gap since I think the space between the links is larger than the space between the teeth. Make sense? And yeah, I should just measure it.
perfect sense and yeah that sounds like a stretched chain; best to change it soon else you can wear out the chainring teeth into a "wave" shape.
jeremywhitehorn is offline  
Old 04-11-06, 08:54 PM   #3810
jeremywhitehorn
In Velo Veritas
 
jeremywhitehorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Toronto
Bikes: Menonite black urbanite, probably enough spare parts to make anther one.
Posts: 3,013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by somnambulant
I'm still working up to the (likely psychological) 100km barrier. You make it sound casual enough to make me think "I don't want to be Mr LagBehind".
hardly. if i make it sound casual it's because the pace and the company is casual. if it's any consolation, this was the first longish ride i did out in the country on a fixed gear and i didn't think it was possible at the time but that turned out to be, as you say, entirely phsychological and it ended up being a great ride. i also wasn't using a bike computer at the time so that helped my not think of the distance.
jeremywhitehorn is offline  
Old 04-11-06, 08:56 PM   #3811
operator
cab horn
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione
Posts: 28,306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was going to ride to my friends place in St. Catharines on friday and then back on sat but not sure if i'll ever finish this ****ing c programming assignment in time.
operator is offline  
Old 04-11-06, 08:58 PM   #3812
jeremywhitehorn
In Velo Veritas
 
jeremywhitehorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Toronto
Bikes: Menonite black urbanite, probably enough spare parts to make anther one.
Posts: 3,013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i managed to get 2 flats while running errands at lunch today. 2! luckily one of those errands was to urbane so i could get a new tube. curse you glass ridden streets!
jeremywhitehorn is offline  
Old 04-11-06, 09:05 PM   #3813
somnambulant
So I says to Mable I says
 
somnambulant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto
Bikes: '05 Urbanite Fixie, '06 Lemond Croix de Fer, '06 Jamis Dragon Pro, '07 IRO Bikeforums Track, '07 Planet-X Uncle John
Posts: 4,947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywhitehorn
hardly. if i make it sound casual it's because the pace and the company is casual. if it's any consolation, this was the first longish ride i did out in the country on a fixed gear and i didn't think it was possible at the time but that turned out to be, as you say, entirely phsychological and it ended up being a great ride. i also wasn't using a bike computer at the time so that helped my not think of the distance.
Alright, well I'll see how I feel on Sunday after several days of partying with friends in Ottawa.

Edit PSA: apparently "debauchery" which I initially used in place of "partying" has a sexual connotation, which I suspected but wasn't sure about until after I hit submit and THEN looked it up on dictionary.com.
somnambulant is offline  
Old 04-11-06, 09:12 PM   #3814
jeremywhitehorn
In Velo Veritas
 
jeremywhitehorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Toronto
Bikes: Menonite black urbanite, probably enough spare parts to make anther one.
Posts: 3,013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
alright, last post then i'm going to bed (for the shop rats among us):anyone know if push the envelope is still making their little hip pouches with the lock holster? stoopid me i somehow lost/got rid of mine in last year's spring cleaning and now i can't find them for sale anywhere.
jeremywhitehorn is offline  
Old 04-11-06, 09:13 PM   #3815
operator
cab horn
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione
Posts: 28,306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well I was going to quote it but you changed it too fast. My browser has it cached...!
Weird the Push the Envelope site used too list their accessories but it's a "come back later" message now.
operator is offline  
Old 04-11-06, 09:20 PM   #3816
jeremywhitehorn
In Velo Veritas
 
jeremywhitehorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Toronto
Bikes: Menonite black urbanite, probably enough spare parts to make anther one.
Posts: 3,013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by operator
Well I was going to quote it but you changed it too fast. My browser has it cached...!
Weird the Push the Envelope site used too list their accessories but it's a "come back later" message now.
yeah i see photos of the bag on the page but i think it has been that way for a while. they used to sell them at urbane and the last few times i've been in they don't have any. i wanted to pick one up at the bike show but the push people didn't make any for the show!
jeremywhitehorn is offline  
Old 04-11-06, 09:57 PM   #3817
Shiznaz
Gone, but not forgotten
 
Shiznaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Toronto
Bikes: spicer fixie, Haro BMX, cyclops track, Soma Double Cross, KHS Flite 100
Posts: 4,509
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I could be up for a long ride on sunday to celebrate the end of classes. Undecided what bike I'll ride... I have no idea how good the cyclops is for long distances. Could be a real pain in the ass... chances are my spicer would be more appropriate. Why is life so difficult?
Shiznaz is offline  
Old 04-11-06, 10:51 PM   #3818
sr20det
team mascot
 
sr20det's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Canada - Toronto
Bikes: gt gtb & marinoni pista special.
Posts: 1,264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywhitehorn
alright, last post then i'm going to bed (for the shop rats among us):anyone know if push the envelope is still making their little hip pouches with the lock holster? stoopid me i somehow lost/got rid of mine in last year's spring cleaning and now i can't find them for sale anywhere.
Just ask Reba (push the envelope) nicely to make you another one. I'm sure it could be done.
If you are lucky, you can catch her at Urbane sometimes or just call them up.
sr20det is offline  
Old 04-11-06, 11:19 PM   #3819
operator
cab horn
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione
Posts: 28,306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiznaz
I could be up for a long ride on sunday to celebrate the end of classes. Undecided what bike I'll ride... I have no idea how good the cyclops is for long distances. Could be a real pain in the ass... chances are my spicer would be more appropriate. Why is life so difficult?
So did you skip all your classes this week?
operator is offline  
Old 04-12-06, 09:31 AM   #3820
Shiznaz
Gone, but not forgotten
 
Shiznaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Toronto
Bikes: spicer fixie, Haro BMX, cyclops track, Soma Double Cross, KHS Flite 100
Posts: 4,509
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nope, been to every single one so far... even my art class yesterday when we met up at the gallery and drank champale for 3 hours while eating leftover carrot cake.. what a waste of time. I've got 3500 words of essay to do for tomorrow and I need to go and supervise the gallery from 2-5pm today. Hooray!
Shiznaz is offline  
Old 04-12-06, 09:33 AM   #3821
eyefloater
Me talk pretty one day.
 
eyefloater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Bikes:
Posts: 2,073
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reba's at Urbane today - might be a good time to call.
eyefloater is offline  
Old 04-12-06, 09:43 AM   #3822
jeremywhitehorn
In Velo Veritas
 
jeremywhitehorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Toronto
Bikes: Menonite black urbanite, probably enough spare parts to make anther one.
Posts: 3,013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyefloater
Reba's at Urbane today - might be a good time to call.
alright, i'll give them a ringey-ding.
jeremywhitehorn is offline  
Old 04-12-06, 10:01 AM   #3823
TRaffic Jammer
Dances With Cars
 
TRaffic Jammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Bikes: TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)
Posts: 10,527
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Polly I like the idea of the curved tube as well as long as the drop out can let me mount a screw tire.
Road front end gets my vote. Long skinny feet love touchin' the front wheel.
Good luck to all the students finishing stuff up in the Easter crunch.
TRaffic Jammer is offline  
Old 04-12-06, 10:08 AM   #3824
somnambulant
So I says to Mable I says
 
somnambulant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto
Bikes: '05 Urbanite Fixie, '06 Lemond Croix de Fer, '06 Jamis Dragon Pro, '07 IRO Bikeforums Track, '07 Planet-X Uncle John
Posts: 4,947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Operator: Just ordered some new "tyres" from probikekit. Got 2 rubino pro's and 2 michelin prorace 2.
somnambulant is offline  
Old 04-12-06, 10:39 AM   #3825
cavit8
Shiftless bum
 
cavit8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Bikes: Ciocc fixed, Raleigh record winter bike, Bianchi Grizzly SS, Pinarello Surprise, Raleigh Twenty, Bridgestone Picnica, various sundry bits and pieces...
Posts: 2,671
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by somnambulant
no, not chainline.. that looks pretty good. It's more like the chain isn't sitting on the ring tight anymore. On the top of the chainring it sits pretty snug, but as the chain wraps around towards the bottom it winds up with a little gap since I think the space between the links is larger than the space between the teeth. Make sense? And yeah, I should just measure it.
Me being paranoid, but check your chainring bolts. If this happened suddenly (i.e. bam it's there), I'm not sure chain stretch would explain it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by operator
truneo that tuned park internal nipple wrench work ??
cavit8 is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:14 AM.