Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 172 of 1901 FirstFirst ... 721221621701711721731741822222726721172 ... LastLast
Results 4,276 to 4,300 of 47509

Thread: Toronto Fixed

  1. #4276
    Jonnys ilegitimate Father cavernmech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    toronto
    My Bikes
    too many too list
    Posts
    2,994
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiznaz
    okay, here is the deal then. each combatant is issued the inside drum of a washing machine, a standard bag of charcoal, 5 gallons of hydrogenated vegetable oil and a 10kg frozen turkey. The battle will be held next to that old boat or whatever at the end of the leslie street spit where the raccoons hang out.
    Ahhhhhh...the deep fried Turkey. I saw this news report about how there is a spike in fires in the U.S. on Thanksgiving.
    Too much boiling oil+frozen turkey=big freakin fire.
    Ever try that? I had one this past Christmas. I will take the oven roasted bird hands down.

  2. #4277
    In Velo Veritas jeremywhitehorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    Menonite black urbanite, probably enough spare parts to make anther one.
    Posts
    3,013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so i'm generally bored and uninspired at work, etc. always looking for something to do. so i wonder what kind of interest there would be in holding a sprint / time trial thing on the spit or in that area with proper prizes / sponsors and a bit of advertising? if someone were to put the word out there how many people (exluding the fine folks here on BF) could we get to come out?

  3. #4278
    Dances With Cars TRaffic Jammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    My Bikes
    TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)
    Posts
    10,527
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is that after repaving the entire area?

  4. #4279
    Senior Member paul_in_toronto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    83
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cavernmech
    Sparrow's nest soup....THEN 200 meter fixed sprints. The nest give's me extra special keirin sprinting power. Not that I need it. *Toot's own horn*
    Extra sprinting power? sounds like a video game. Do we have to collect diamonds or jewels along the way?

    Im up for 200 meter sprints, but we have to ride big wheels or green machines, you know that crazy kids bike from the late 70s. Ill find a picture.

    We also have to wear mickey mouse hats and sing the mickey mouse club song while we ride.

  5. #4280
    In Velo Veritas jeremywhitehorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    Menonite black urbanite, probably enough spare parts to make anther one.
    Posts
    3,013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cavernmech
    Ahhhhhh...the deep fried Turkey. I saw this news report about how there is a spike in fires in the U.S. on Thanksgiving.
    Too much boiling oil+frozen turkey=big freakin fire.
    Ever try that? I had one this past Christmas. I will take the oven roasted bird hands down.
    it is scarry for sure. have you noticed that most of the high-end BBQs you see in hardware stores not come with a deep fryer attachment? i dunno, with a drum and all that charcoal i'd put that bad boy on a rotissarie and smoke that bird.

  6. #4281
    dam this is fun ! STEEKER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    on my bike ! in Toronto !!
    My Bikes
    Hurricane Low Racer ! and a Masi
    Posts
    1,988
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cavernmech
    i just have to install my puncture proof tires and I will be good to go.
    A big group of us used to do fixed sprints down on Unwin. Good place for it. Not a ton of traffic. I wonder if our distance marks are still on the road?
    this was the route we used to use http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=142751
    LOW RACER PILOT MASI fixed/singlespeed http://www.flickr.com/photos/steeker/

  7. #4282
    Jonnys ilegitimate Father cavernmech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    toronto
    My Bikes
    too many too list
    Posts
    2,994
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremywhitehorn
    so i'm generally bored and uninspired at work, etc. always looking for something to do. so i wonder what kind of interest there would be in holding a sprint / time trial thing on the spit or in that area with proper prizes / sponsors and a bit of advertising? if someone were to put the word out there how many people (exluding the fine folks here on BF) could we get to come out?
    Fixed only? Our old sprint group had about 15 guys and gals weekly. If we give enuf time...get out some flyers....I would think 20-30 would not be a problem.

  8. #4283
    Dances With Cars TRaffic Jammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    My Bikes
    TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)
    Posts
    10,527
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rock the Turkey in the oven.

  9. #4284
    Senior Member paul_in_toronto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    83
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cavernmech
    Ahhhhhh...the deep fried Turkey. I saw this news report about how there is a spike in fires in the U.S. on Thanksgiving.
    Too much boiling oil+frozen turkey=big freakin fire.
    Ever try that? I had one this past Christmas. I will take the oven roasted bird hands down.
    Deep frying is an american past time. Actually in the UK theres a place that serves deep fried twinkies and chocolate bars.

  10. #4285
    In Velo Veritas jeremywhitehorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    Menonite black urbanite, probably enough spare parts to make anther one.
    Posts
    3,013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRaffic Jammer
    is that after repaving the entire area?
    it's a flat route with four turns. yes, the pavement condition is generally **itty, but that's part of the challenge.

  11. #4286
    Senior Member paul_in_toronto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    83
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Kieth what about an alley cat.. that regular folks can be in?

    Maybe if I talk nicely to frank and profit they could lend use of the radios, im sure profit would have an interest in the race.

  12. #4287
    In Velo Veritas jeremywhitehorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    Menonite black urbanite, probably enough spare parts to make anther one.
    Posts
    3,013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cavernmech
    Fixed only? Our old sprint group had about 15 guys and gals weekly. If we give enuf time...get out some flyers....I would think 20-30 would not be a problem.
    that would be a lot of fun. i would assume fixed only would be a good idea, or at least a fixed only category. i don't know about y'all but no matter what your gearing, keeping up with a guy on a geared road bike can be difficult. it would be interesting to see a mix of messengers and commuters and just normal people too.

  13. #4288
    Jonnys ilegitimate Father cavernmech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    toronto
    My Bikes
    too many too list
    Posts
    2,994
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_in_toronto
    Hey Kieth what about an alley cat.. that regular folks can be in?

    Maybe if I talk nicely to frank and profit they could lend use of the radios, im sure profit would have an interest in the race.
    The last alleycat....with proper notice and flyers....attracted a grand total of 6 racers.
    I am working on an alleycat series for this year. There will be a standard style alleycat....a scavenger hunt....a time trial....Global Gutz...and a few other races thrown in for good measure. It will be a points type series with 1 thru 10 gaining points for each event. Prizes for each event plus a series grand prize of a custom frame. Looks like I might have 2 tickets to send the male/female winners to the CMWC in Australia as well. Still finalizing details with the main sponsors but when things are ready I will let yall know.

  14. #4289
    In Velo Veritas jeremywhitehorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    Menonite black urbanite, probably enough spare parts to make anther one.
    Posts
    3,013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_in_toronto
    Deep frying is an american past time. Actually in the UK theres a place that serves deep fried twinkies and chocolate bars.
    i didn't know there was a place in the UK that DOESN'T serve deep-fried chocolate bars. when i went to scotland in 98', i gained almost 40 pounds in 3 months. not exactly 'quisine'. i know for a fact that there is at least on fish and chip place in toronto that does deep fried mars bars. say what you will, they are **cking delicious.

  15. #4290
    Dances With Cars TRaffic Jammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    My Bikes
    TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)
    Posts
    10,527
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cavernmech
    The last alleycat....with proper notice and flyers....attracted a grand total of 6 racers.
    I am working on an alleycat series for this year. There will be a standard style alleycat....a scavenger hunt....a time trial....Global Gutz...and a few other races thrown in for good measure. It will be a points type series with 1 thru 10 gaining points for each event. Prizes for each event plus a series grand prize of a custom frame. Looks like I might have 2 tickets to send the male/female winners to the CMWC in Australia as well. Still finalizing details with the main sponsors but when things are ready I will let yall know.

    Sounds fun......
    gearing for gold/diamond/platnium sprints? frnt/back?

  16. #4291
    In Velo Veritas jeremywhitehorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    Menonite black urbanite, probably enough spare parts to make anther one.
    Posts
    3,013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cavernmech
    The last alleycat....with proper notice and flyers....attracted a grand total of 6 racers.
    I am working on an alleycat series for this year. There will be a standard style alleycat....a scavenger hunt....a time trial....Global Gutz...and a few other races thrown in for good measure. It will be a points type series with 1 thru 10 gaining points for each event. Prizes for each event plus a series grand prize of a custom frame. Looks like I might have 2 tickets to send the male/female winners to the CMWC in Australia as well. Still finalizing details with the main sponsors but when things are ready I will let yall know.
    so you think there would be more interest in sprints or a time trial? could this be worked in as part of your series?

  17. #4292
    Dances With Cars TRaffic Jammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    My Bikes
    TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)
    Posts
    10,527
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremywhitehorn
    it's a flat route with four turns. yes, the pavement condition is generally **itty, but that's part of the challenge.
    Pavement .... that's being polite.
    You gonna be able to close it off to traffic? In the summer there is a bit of traffic there on week-ends with the boats and other cyclists.... how would folks go balls out racing on there?

  18. #4293
    In Velo Veritas jeremywhitehorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    Menonite black urbanite, probably enough spare parts to make anther one.
    Posts
    3,013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRaffic Jammer
    Pavement .... that's being polite.
    You gonna be able to close it off to traffic? In the summer there is a bit of traffic there on week-ends with the boats and other cyclists.... how would folks go balls out racing on there?
    last one we did was in july i think on a sunday afternoon. open course with "traffic" but we set it up so it's just four right hand turns. i had no trouble going full-out in that scenario. i can imagine getting a permit to close the roads would be a nightmare. another idea is to hold it either early morning or late evening.

  19. #4294
    Jonnys ilegitimate Father cavernmech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    toronto
    My Bikes
    too many too list
    Posts
    2,994
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremywhitehorn
    so you think there would be more interest in sprints or a time trial? could this be worked in as part of your series?
    Why not both? Tons of people/clubs/racers train down there all the time. Sure the surface is a bit sketchy but as was already mentioned...just makes it more interesting. Out of all the places in Toronto that we could do something like this....I think that area has the least traffic. Other than a few yahoo's I can't see much going on on Saturday night down there. You thinking day or night? I think night would be better just for the traffic thing.

  20. #4295
    Dances With Cars TRaffic Jammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    My Bikes
    TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)
    Posts
    10,527
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That bridge can be sketchy. What's the light situation like down there at night? I hate hitting cracks and holes in the dark.
    There have been known to have the occasional street race down there, as well as the Docks traffic. That said I'm game...... damn need a machine.

  21. #4296
    Senior Member paul_in_toronto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    83
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=cavernmech]The last alleycat....with proper notice and flyers....attracted a grand total of 6 racers.


    Well that sucks doesnt it.

    What was the race that was turned into a tv show?

    Not that I know what im talking about but... if you were to propose an alley cat race as something mre like
    SURVIVOR or the apprentice. One could perhaps present the idea to a network.

    I mean itd be only a handful of people in the show mind you. But itd be more like a real courier job, where you have to gain favour with the dispatcher and get stuck in the elevator etc.. scoop someone elses calls.

    Deliver as many packages as you can in a certain time.. pick up a secretary.. etc

  22. #4297
    Dances With Cars TRaffic Jammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    My Bikes
    TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)
    Posts
    10,527
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having been a messer' the idea turns my tummy.
    A TV show where non-messer's race a messer style setup? Ewwwwww.

    OLN search for the world's fastest messengers? Isn't that the World Courier Championships?

  23. #4298
    In Velo Veritas jeremywhitehorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    Menonite black urbanite, probably enough spare parts to make anther one.
    Posts
    3,013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cavernmech
    Why not both? Tons of people/clubs/racers train down there all the time. Sure the surface is a bit sketchy but as was already mentioned...just makes it more interesting. Out of all the places in Toronto that we could do something like this....I think that area has the least traffic. Other than a few yahoo's I can't see much going on on Saturday night down there. You thinking day or night? I think night would be better just for the traffic thing.
    i meant to say: based on the fact that the last toronto alley cat attracted 6 people, perhaps a sprint or time trial event would generate more interest than a traditional alley cat? at least in terms of bringing non-messengers out to race. i don't want to be disrespectful to the messenger community in terms of stepping on anyone's toes, race-wise, but my initial thought is anyone should be free to organise a race where all are welcome.
    to answer your question i think an evening thing would me more appropriate. perhaps have the starting heats/timed riders going off about an hour before the sun sets then finishing up in the dark (bring your lights)? leaves enough time for a few beers and a trackstand comp.

  24. #4299
    Senior Member paul_in_toronto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    83
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRaffic Jammer
    Having been a messer' the idea turns my tummy.
    A TV show where non-messer's race a messer style setup? Ewwwwww.

    OLN search for the world's fastest messengers? Isn't that the World Courier Championships?

    No dude it would be real messengers... but it would be set up with other variables.

    It might make for an interesting bit of tv watching.

  25. #4300
    Dances With Cars TRaffic Jammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    My Bikes
    TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)
    Posts
    10,527
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this the Irish Race you are speaking of? I think that also might have been factional something or other within the messer community that had the low turnout. Could be fun, there are gobs of folks there. Bugger I've been runnin' out of gears on my MTB recently, where's my sponsor?

    I've been wanting.... once I become an eccentric billionaire, to find the world's fastest messers. Train 'em in classical road racing then place the team in the pro ranks and see what happens. Team Chaos in TDF....woooohooooo parting til 2....keepin' all the other teams awake all night. Raising hell, pro cylcing needs a team like that. Full on black everything.....lol.

    Sounds cool Polly, from a network perspective the insurance liability would be evil. Just sayin'

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •