Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > > >

Rides and Races A place for posting group rides, races, and regional threads for the fixed gear and single speed forum.

User Tag List

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-01-07, 11:47 AM   #19101
cavit8
Shiftless bum
 
cavit8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Bikes: Ciocc fixed, Raleigh record winter bike, Bianchi Grizzly SS, Pinarello Surprise, Raleigh Twenty, Bridgestone Picnica, various sundry bits and pieces...
Posts: 2,671
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Aaaannndddd IGNORED! Ah, I feel so much better.....
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by operator
truneo that tuned park internal nipple wrench work ??
cavit8 is offline  
Old 02-01-07, 12:01 PM   #19102
iherald
Senior Member
 
iherald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 1,276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by operator
Well it wouldn't be too hard too hard to file a bunch of reports by different people. The problem comes when the police comes and charges you for filing a false report
Yeah, that could become a problem. d-oh!
iherald is offline  
Old 02-01-07, 12:02 PM   #19103
iherald
Senior Member
 
iherald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 1,276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone know where I can get a drop bolt (http://www.sheldonbrown.com/home-drop.html)?
iherald is offline  
Old 02-01-07, 01:13 PM   #19104
tempo
not the car.
 
tempo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Bikes:
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavernmech
I dont resort to such shenanigans anymore. I have lost my bike rage tendencies since I got my I-Pod. All the jackasses only get smiles and waves from me now....oh and the full lane occupation tactic. Music calms the savage beast?

Yes I agree. I also employ a bandana as a blindfold, so I don't notice when people cut me off and/or are jackastors on the road. See no evil etc..

To be serious, I have found that people driving in this city are generally impatient tossers, so I usually ignore them completely. They're probably in a rush to get home to watch TV anyway.
tempo is offline  
Old 02-01-07, 01:20 PM   #19105
Shiznaz
Gone, but not forgotten
 
Shiznaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Toronto
Bikes: spicer fixie, Haro BMX, cyclops track, Soma Double Cross, KHS Flite 100
Posts: 4,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempo
They're probably in a rush to get home to watch TV anyway.
Yep. I slow them down for 5 seconds and they mess with me so they can get home and watch ads in 5 minute intervals over the course of their 4-5 hours TV session. HEAD ON APPLY DIRECTLY TO THE FOREHEAD. Logically speaking, everyone's TV's should be already smashed and marketing executives should be getting death threats in the mail. At least then I'd be treated at the same level as TV!
Shiznaz is offline  
Old 02-01-07, 01:38 PM   #19106
jet sanchEz
Senior Member
 
jet sanchEz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 8,181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyze-guy
What I need first though is to figure out a way to get the seatpost out.
Is the seatpost aluminium? Ammonium can be used to get out a seized/stuck aluminium seatpost. Pop out the BB, pour some ammonium in the seat tube and let it soak upside down in the tub. This will only work if it is mildly seized. I had a ***** of a time get the seatpost out of my Ciocc and ammonium didn't work so I put a blowtorch to it....aluminium cools faster than steel so it will loosen up that way. Took a few trys of heating and cooling but it came out eventually. This of course means you will need to do a repaint.
jet sanchEz is online now  
Old 02-01-07, 01:45 PM   #19107
pyze-guy
Yup
 
pyze-guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: where the sunbeams end and the starlight begins
Bikes: Kona Unit, planet X cx bike, khs fixed gear
Posts: 3,054
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet sanchEz
Is the seatpost aluminium? Ammonium can be used to get out a seized/stuck aluminium seatpost. Pop out the BB, pour some ammonium in the seat tube and let it soak upside down in the tub. This will only work if it is mildly seized. I had a ***** of a time get the seatpost out of my Ciocc and ammonium didn't work so I put a blowtorch to it....aluminium cools faster than steel so it will loosen up that way. Took a few trys of heating and cooling but it came out eventually. This of course means you will need to do a repaint.
Hammer and vice grips. Only problem is one seatube is too big, other is too small. Good thing the bike show is coming up.
__________________
When sadness fills my days
It's time to turn away
And then tomorrow's dreams
Become reality to me
pyze-guy is offline  
Old 02-01-07, 01:50 PM   #19108
jet sanchEz
Senior Member
 
jet sanchEz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 8,181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyze-guy
Hammer and vice grips. Only problem is one seatube is too big, other is too small. Good thing the bike show is coming up.
Oh, weird, when I clicked on "Last Page" for this thread, it put me to the second last page of the thread and I didn't see that you had already removed the post....nicely done. What size do you need? Can you sand the sides of the post and the inside of the seattube and just use the old one that you got out?
jet sanchEz is online now  
Old 02-01-07, 02:08 PM   #19109
pyze-guy
Yup
 
pyze-guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: where the sunbeams end and the starlight begins
Bikes: Kona Unit, planet X cx bike, khs fixed gear
Posts: 3,054
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet sanchEz
Oh, weird, when I clicked on "Last Page" for this thread, it put me to the second last page of the thread and I didn't see that you had already removed the post....nicely done. What size do you need? Can you sand the sides of the post and the inside of the seattube and just use the old one that you got out?
I'm just going to get a new tube, the on in there and the one I can shim in place are both the older crappy tubw styles. Not woth the hassle I think as the saddle I have to go with the post is old and not to comfy after 10 min or so of riding.
__________________
When sadness fills my days
It's time to turn away
And then tomorrow's dreams
Become reality to me
pyze-guy is offline  
Old 02-01-07, 02:11 PM   #19110
cavernmech
Jonnys ilegitimate Father
 
cavernmech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: toronto
Bikes: too many too list
Posts: 2,994
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyze-guy
Hammer and vice grips. Only problem is one seatube is too big, other is too small. Good thing the bike show is coming up.
A good quality alu post can be had just about anywhere for about $15-20. You need to know exactly what size tho. Digital vernier is best to measure this. A post that is .2mm off either way will not work. Was the old one really corroded? If so it might be the right size and there is a corrosion build up that is making the correct size post too tight. A flex honing of yer seattube will remedy that (or some sandpaper wrapped around a dowel if you want an easy DIY) Then you can just use the old one for sizing.
cavernmech is offline  
Old 02-01-07, 02:34 PM   #19111
pyze-guy
Yup
 
pyze-guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: where the sunbeams end and the starlight begins
Bikes: Kona Unit, planet X cx bike, khs fixed gear
Posts: 3,054
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavernmech
A good quality alu post can be had just about anywhere for about $15-20. You need to know exactly what size tho. Digital vernier is best to measure this. A post that is .2mm off either way will not work. Was the old one really corroded? If so it might be the right size and there is a corrosion build up that is making the correct size post too tight. A flex honing of yer seattube will remedy that (or some sandpaper wrapped around a dowel if you want an easy DIY) Then you can just use the old one for sizing.
I'm in no rush, besides the tube I need chainring (unless I want to run fixed with biopace), pedels, and 2 wheel builds if the front hub with the bike can be used and if the cheopo fixed hub I have will fit with a shorter b/b spindle. With the way things are now this will be a month to month build. And the tube in the bike is about 6 inches long. All it's good for is a pleasure tool for the ladies, or men I suppose.. No need to disciminate is there.

I'll most likely bring the frame and hubs down in 2 weeks or so and see what the options are. Too much school work right now with marking exams and my York midterms coming up.
__________________
When sadness fills my days
It's time to turn away
And then tomorrow's dreams
Become reality to me
pyze-guy is offline  
Old 02-01-07, 02:43 PM   #19112
lymbzero
otherwiseordinary
 
lymbzero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: California
Bikes:
Posts: 697
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Pyze- I'm pretty sure that i spent a good half hour on the Bottecchia to get the seat post loose.
So if it was stuck when I gave it to you, it's because of recent corrosion.

Have fun with that BB.. i am sure it will come out (relatively) easy..

IllMitch, meet up sometime? I'm looking to collect.

Last edited by lymbzero; 02-01-07 at 02:49 PM.
lymbzero is offline  
Old 02-01-07, 03:03 PM   #19113
pyze-guy
Yup
 
pyze-guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: where the sunbeams end and the starlight begins
Bikes: Kona Unit, planet X cx bike, khs fixed gear
Posts: 3,054
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lymbzero
Pyze- I'm pretty sure that i spent a good half hour on the Bottecchia to get the seat post loose.
So if it was stuck when I gave it to you, it's because of recent corrosion.

Have fun with that BB.. i am sure it will come out (relatively) easy..

IllMitch, meet up sometime? I'm looking to collect.
It came out in about 30 seconds. B/b in about 10. Both it and the headset are in decent condition, and the front hub is pretty good. Seems the wingnuts fit my crapo fixed hub so I should be able to keep that look going. Should be an interesting mix of old and new when it is done. Perhaps riser bars as well...
__________________
When sadness fills my days
It's time to turn away
And then tomorrow's dreams
Become reality to me
pyze-guy is offline  
Old 02-01-07, 03:31 PM   #19114
jeremywhitehorn
In Velo Veritas
 
jeremywhitehorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Toronto
Bikes: Menonite black urbanite, probably enough spare parts to make anther one.
Posts: 3,013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavernmech
I can assure you Jeremy is not a meth addicted, transexual prostitute....must have been someone else you were with that night.
that's right, i am certainly not meth addicted.
jeremywhitehorn is offline  
Old 02-01-07, 03:33 PM   #19115
Shiznaz
Gone, but not forgotten
 
Shiznaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Toronto
Bikes: spicer fixie, Haro BMX, cyclops track, Soma Double Cross, KHS Flite 100
Posts: 4,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyze-guy
It came out in about 30 seconds. B/b in about 10. Both it and the headset are in decent condition, and the front hub is pretty good. Seems the wingnuts fit my crapo fixed hub so I should be able to keep that look going. Should be an interesting mix of old and new when it is done. Perhaps riser bars as well...
If you want to get some extra leverage on the wingnuts you can use your teeth to clamp them down and then use the bike itself as the lever
Shiznaz is offline  
Old 02-01-07, 03:47 PM   #19116
jeremywhitehorn
In Velo Veritas
 
jeremywhitehorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Toronto
Bikes: Menonite black urbanite, probably enough spare parts to make anther one.
Posts: 3,013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiznaz
If you want to get some extra leverage on the wingnuts you can use your teeth to clamp them down and then use the bike itself as the lever
is that how you open beer bottles?
jeremywhitehorn is offline  
Old 02-01-07, 03:52 PM   #19117
Shiznaz
Gone, but not forgotten
 
Shiznaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Toronto
Bikes: spicer fixie, Haro BMX, cyclops track, Soma Double Cross, KHS Flite 100
Posts: 4,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No you can usually just twist the tops off of those. I'm not an idiot!


PS. I can open any beer bottle with a multitude of tools, including with a peice of paper.
Shiznaz is offline  
Old 02-01-07, 03:56 PM   #19118
jeremywhitehorn
In Velo Veritas
 
jeremywhitehorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Toronto
Bikes: Menonite black urbanite, probably enough spare parts to make anther one.
Posts: 3,013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiznaz
No you can usually just twist the tops off of those. I'm not an idiot!


PS. I can open any beer bottle with a multitude of tools, including with a peice of paper.
i'm interested in seeing the paper trick. i wasn't implying that you're an idiot; i assumed a man who puts a wingnut or two in his mouth would have a beer opening party trick up his sleeve...
jeremywhitehorn is offline  
Old 02-01-07, 04:07 PM   #19119
Shiznaz
Gone, but not forgotten
 
Shiznaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Toronto
Bikes: spicer fixie, Haro BMX, cyclops track, Soma Double Cross, KHS Flite 100
Posts: 4,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywhitehorn
i'm interested in seeing the paper trick. i wasn't implying that you're an idiot; i assumed a man who puts a wingnut or two in his mouth would have a beer opening party trick up his sleeve...
Oh don't worry; I am an idiot for sure. And a sociopath to boot. Remind me about the paper thing and I'll show you next time we are having drinks.
Shiznaz is offline  
Old 02-01-07, 05:00 PM   #19120
zippered
Spazzy Member
 
zippered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: t.dot
Bikes: '05 marinoni delta, '86/87 bianchi sport s(e)x, ? kona ?, raleigh '71, specialized crossroads
Posts: 881
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
so i was heading east along queen street today and i noticed a number of hydro-type trucks doing work at several spots along the way. each of them had the requisite cop and pylons. however, the pylons were placed in the space between the truck and tracks. i'm sure you've all encountered the same thing, and whereas you can get by, it could be improved by only moving them a few inches.

so here comes me. just before i have to turn south i see a cop standing around, so i approach him and say "i noticed that there are a bunch of hydro trucks doing work along queen, so i was wondering if there was any way they could be moved over a little bit to make it safer for cyclists?" his response: "no".

i guess i could have wasted more breath, but i just shook my head and went to lock up. i wonder if he was haunted by the sight of my bike afterwards? i know, i know... no

</rant>
zippered is offline  
Old 02-01-07, 05:09 PM   #19121
cavit8
Shiftless bum
 
cavit8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Bikes: Ciocc fixed, Raleigh record winter bike, Bianchi Grizzly SS, Pinarello Surprise, Raleigh Twenty, Bridgestone Picnica, various sundry bits and pieces...
Posts: 2,671
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah good thing Queen isn't a city designated bike route or anything. I see that a fair bit on Dundas with the Regent Park demolition - but they're pretty good about having the big metal post things far enough over. And I'm not above kicking one over if its not. Give Hydro a call and tell them to smarten up.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by operator
truneo that tuned park internal nipple wrench work ??
cavit8 is offline  
Old 02-01-07, 05:13 PM   #19122
Sirrobinofcoxly
Have bike. Will travel.
Thread Starter
 
Sirrobinofcoxly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: -=Toronto=-
Bikes: '06 Orbea Orca, '03 Rocky Mountain Vertex 70, '05 Surly Steamroller, '06 Fetish Fixation
Posts: 2,157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's kind a piss off that the bike lane in the universal park-as-far-from-the-curb-as-possible spot. It's already a death trap that cars park in the bike lane, and then open their doors in your face without forcing you into the tracks.

I guess as far as cops go, they know that it's going to be an inconvenience having the trucks there for someone, so why not the pathetic cyclists. Pfft. That blows. Can't get no respect.
Sirrobinofcoxly is offline  
Old 02-01-07, 05:15 PM   #19123
Sirrobinofcoxly
Have bike. Will travel.
Thread Starter
 
Sirrobinofcoxly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: -=Toronto=-
Bikes: '06 Orbea Orca, '03 Rocky Mountain Vertex 70, '05 Surly Steamroller, '06 Fetish Fixation
Posts: 2,157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yo, what happened to Ronin. Do he die or something? (if he did, that will ride my conscience for some time to come)
Sirrobinofcoxly is offline  
Old 02-01-07, 05:15 PM   #19124
Shiznaz
Gone, but not forgotten
 
Shiznaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Toronto
Bikes: spicer fixie, Haro BMX, cyclops track, Soma Double Cross, KHS Flite 100
Posts: 4,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
One time they had the whole right lane of richmond street blocked off with pylons before university ave. I think they had some kind of award show or something, but the right lane was free, clean and clear. The traffic was terrible that day and there was barely room to squeeze between the cars in the driving lane and pylons, so I thought 'sweet! my own personal lane for 20 metres!' No sooner do I cut in through the pylons, a cop jumps right in front of me and I have to skid to not hit him. I look at him with a puzzled expression and he tells me I have to ride on the other side of the pylons. I ask him why and he goes "LOOK, WE ALL HAVE TO MAKE A LITTLE BIT OF EFFORT HERE OKAY?"

So I got off my bike, carried it a few feet to the side, got on it, and slowly wobbled my way past the stopped cars. So lame of that cop... Just causing me grief for no reason at all.

I remember on bike day or whatever I was on the ride with miller and the NDP crowd and a cop very rudely told me to move because I was too close to where the politicians were going to ride. So lame...
Shiznaz is offline  
Old 02-01-07, 05:19 PM   #19125
zippered
Spazzy Member
 
zippered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: t.dot
Bikes: '05 marinoni delta, '86/87 bianchi sport s(e)x, ? kona ?, raleigh '71, specialized crossroads
Posts: 881
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavit8
Yeah good thing Queen isn't a city designated bike route or anything. I see that a fair bit on Dundas with the Regent Park demolition - but they're pretty good about having the big metal post things far enough over. And I'm not above kicking one over if its not. Give Hydro a call and tell them to smarten up.
hmm good idea. all i could think of was the non-emerg cop #. i've gotta hit the road now though, hopefully not literally...

ps. thinking about the idea of removing a beer cap w teeth causing mucho cringing over here!

zippered is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:44 AM.