Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 940 of 1901 FirstFirst ... 44084089093093893994094194295099010401440 ... LastLast
Results 23,476 to 23,500 of 47509

Thread: Toronto Fixed

  1. #23476
    Gone, but not forgotten Shiznaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    spicer fixie, Haro BMX, cyclops track, Soma Double Cross, KHS Flite 100
    Posts
    4,509
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't call it exactly easy to open. The zippers are heavy duty and quite stiff. 55 is a bit steep for a little bag, but its really full featured and there was obviously alot of work and thought put into it, along with all the exotic hardware. Its also cheaper than any other similar function bag I saw (mostly those lock holster/pouches). Probably not the best choice for your mom though...

  2. #23477
    Don't smoke Mike nerdsgirth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    monster island fixie, Fisher sugar, sexine conversion, OLMO Superlight
    Posts
    641
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys and gals, just wanted to intro myself. I am new on this computer forum, and it is a great diversion from writing essays to finish off the school year. I too like the band hot snakes, long bbqs in the park and riding my fixie to York U. 1/2 hour ride, I never see another bike. It is scary in the great white north. Cheers.

  3. #23478
    Dances With Cars TRaffic Jammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    My Bikes
    TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)
    Posts
    10,527
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiznaz
    I totally understand and respect that, and I always tried my best to keep him away from anyone who looked like they could be remotely put off by him. But when you have huge bbqs 30 feet away from off leash dog parks its bound to happen evenetually! I don't really know what I'm trying to say here and I don't want to defend any particular viewpoint on this... I guess people just really get angry about stuff...
    Who's the genius that puts BBQ pits beside the off leash dog runs..... no judgments made. If that's the way they set the park up , they're just askin' for trouble. Natch for BBQ'n beside the dog run...it's not like you wouldn't see it. Down for a park pit...cook down. Welcome to the diversion Nerdsgirth.

  4. #23479
    In Velo Veritas jeremywhitehorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    Menonite black urbanite, probably enough spare parts to make anther one.
    Posts
    3,011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiznaz
    Its also cheaper than any other similar function bag I saw (mostly those lock holster/pouches). Probably not the best choice for your mom though...
    i think i paid $50 for my PUSH hip bag sans lock holster which was made from $2 worth of pac webbing from MEC. come to think of it, if anyone wants one, let me know; i can make one for you super cheap.

  5. #23480
    Gone, but not forgotten Shiznaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    spicer fixie, Haro BMX, cyclops track, Soma Double Cross, KHS Flite 100
    Posts
    4,509
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRaffic Jammer
    Who's the genius that puts BBQ pits beside the off leash dog runs..... no judgments made. If that's the way they set the park up , they're just askin' for trouble. Natch for BBQ'n beside the dog run...it's not like you wouldn't see it. Down for a park pit...cook down. Welcome to the diversion Nerdsgirth.
    The entire park used to be off leash (or at least not specifically on leash), and then one day they put up a metal sign with a map on it outlining the different on and off leash areas. There weren't even bbq pits in this park; people would just bring a ton of hibachi grills and use the picnic tables, many of which were basically bordering the off leash area. No harm done really to either side, its just caused some embarrassing situations I would have rather avoided. I really hope those kids don't grow up terrified of dogs, as it could degrade your quality of life given how common they are in the city.
    PS. welcome nerdsgirth, nice avatar.

  6. #23481
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,298
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want one
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  7. #23482
    Gone, but not forgotten Shiznaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    spicer fixie, Haro BMX, cyclops track, Soma Double Cross, KHS Flite 100
    Posts
    4,509
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremywhitehorn
    i think i paid $50 for my PUSH hip bag sans lock holster which was made from $2 worth of pac webbing from MEC. come to think of it, if anyone wants one, let me know; i can make one for you super cheap.
    But can you wear that bag 6 different ways like some kind of special forces wannabe tool?

  8. #23483
    So I says to Mable I says somnambulant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    '05 Urbanite Fixie, '06 Lemond Croix de Fer, '06 Jamis Dragon Pro, '07 IRO Bikeforums Track, '07 Planet-X Uncle John
    Posts
    4,948
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremywhitehorn
    i think i paid $50 for my PUSH hip bag sans lock holster which was made from $2 worth of pac webbing from MEC. come to think of it, if anyone wants one, let me know; i can make one for you super cheap.
    I've considered sewing something like that into my Chrome pack.. what kind of uber-thread/-needle do you need to sew cordura/webbing?
    -Milpool

  9. #23484
    Shiftless bum cavit8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Ciocc fixed, Raleigh record winter bike, Bianchi Grizzly SS, Pinarello Surprise, Raleigh Twenty, Bridgestone Picnica, various sundry bits and pieces...
    Posts
    2,674
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiznaz
    But can you wear that bag 6 different ways like some kind of special forces wannabe tool?
    I have found many ways to wear mine. I like the codpiece version or, as I like to call it, the toolpouch.
    Quote Originally Posted by operator
    truneo that tuned park internal nipple wrench work ??

  10. #23485
    Yup pyze-guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    where the sunbeams end and the starlight begins
    My Bikes
    C-dale Bad Boy, Fixed Wheeler MTB
    Posts
    3,023
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremywhitehorn
    that sounds about right. my orthotics were close to that about 4 years ago. of course, they were covered by my insurance plan. i'm up for a new pair soon. maybe my insurance company can buy me a new pair of sidis?
    Same reply I got. I think next week I'm going to check this out. My insurance covers $900 for orthotics ( lifetime alotment I think) so it might be a major deal.
    When sadness fills my days
    It's time to turn away
    And then tomorrow's dreams
    Become reality to me

  11. #23486
    Senior Member iherald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,274
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pyze-guy
    Same reply I got. I think next week I'm going to check this out. My insurance covers $900 for orthotics ( lifetime alotment I think) so it might be a major deal.
    My coverage is only $300, so I'm out. I have a pair of Sidi's already, but you can't go wrong with another pair. That said, I only really need one orthotic, but I do want two shoes.

    The guy who makes my peg leg did offer to build one with a pedal cleat built right in.
    I rode CanadaWide for Cancer in 2006! I rode 6850km and raised over $110 000 for kids with cancer. Check out the journal at: http://www.cyclingforcancer.ca

  12. #23487
    So I says to Mable I says somnambulant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    '05 Urbanite Fixie, '06 Lemond Croix de Fer, '06 Jamis Dragon Pro, '07 IRO Bikeforums Track, '07 Planet-X Uncle John
    Posts
    4,948
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wanna go back to Copenhagen! :'(

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_8dGodhGtI
    -Milpool

  13. #23488
    Dances With Cars TRaffic Jammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    My Bikes
    TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)
    Posts
    10,527
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by somnambulant
    I've considered sewing something like that into my Chrome pack.. what kind of uber-thread/-needle do you need to sew cordura/webbing?
    There's this wicked German thread ...polyester...can barely break it with your hand..see if I can find the name....that outta do it I think, sewing machine or by hand?

  14. #23489
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,298
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by somnambulant
    Less talk more pictures

    if there was a heaven, that'd be it. I'm seriously going to move there.
    Last edited by operator; 04-18-07 at 02:56 PM.
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  15. #23490
    So I says to Mable I says somnambulant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    '05 Urbanite Fixie, '06 Lemond Croix de Fer, '06 Jamis Dragon Pro, '07 IRO Bikeforums Track, '07 Planet-X Uncle John
    Posts
    4,948
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRaffic Jammer
    There's this wicked German thread ...polyester...can barely break it with your hand..see if I can find the name....that outta do it I think, sewing machine or by hand?
    No sewing machine at my house, so I guess by hand. Plus I don't know how I'd get a sewing machine around the waterproof liner in my pack without taking the whole thing apart. I can easily get "behind" it (bag-within-a-bag kind of design) to do it manually though.
    -Milpool

  16. #23491
    Gone, but not forgotten Shiznaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    spicer fixie, Haro BMX, cyclops track, Soma Double Cross, KHS Flite 100
    Posts
    4,509
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by operator
    Less talk more pictures

    if there was a heaven, that'd be it. I'm seriously going to move there.
    I just saw a few problems with that video

    There are no bikes in city centre either (well, you can walk them)
    that bus setup looks ***REALLY*** dangerous
    no bikes on the road (makes things hard for speed demons)

    You definitely need a feeling of community for this to work; people really need to work together in harmony. I feel we are all too individualistic and selfish here (as well as ethnically diverse and economically stratified) for this kind of approach to work right away. I know I'd be pissed waiting behind slower cyclists, but thats just because I'm not used to it.

    They definitely have the right idea and some of the best cycling infrastructure in the world though.
    Last edited by Shiznaz; 04-18-07 at 03:13 PM.

  17. #23492
    Senior Member iherald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,274
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone just emailed this to me: "I was just at a bike shop at Gerrard and Broadview and they have the biggest bike I have ever seen. A 70 cm Panasonic and nice. $250."

    70 cm!!
    I rode CanadaWide for Cancer in 2006! I rode 6850km and raised over $110 000 for kids with cancer. Check out the journal at: http://www.cyclingforcancer.ca

  18. #23493
    Dances With Cars TRaffic Jammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    My Bikes
    TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)
    Posts
    10,527
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how tall would a 70cm frame rider be? Good Lord!

  19. #23494
    Gone, but not forgotten Shiznaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    spicer fixie, Haro BMX, cyclops track, Soma Double Cross, KHS Flite 100
    Posts
    4,509
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm guessing around 7 feet. I wonder how long the cranks are?

  20. #23495
    Shiftless bum cavit8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Ciocc fixed, Raleigh record winter bike, Bianchi Grizzly SS, Pinarello Surprise, Raleigh Twenty, Bridgestone Picnica, various sundry bits and pieces...
    Posts
    2,674
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's just up the street, I'll have to swing by for a look tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by operator
    truneo that tuned park internal nipple wrench work ??

  21. #23496
    Jonnys ilegitimate Father cavernmech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    toronto
    My Bikes
    too many too list
    Posts
    2,994
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by operator
    /whip cracking noise
    You will learn all about it soon enough. Its often worth it.

  22. #23497
    Shiftless bum cavit8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Ciocc fixed, Raleigh record winter bike, Bianchi Grizzly SS, Pinarello Surprise, Raleigh Twenty, Bridgestone Picnica, various sundry bits and pieces...
    Posts
    2,674
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiznaz
    I just saw a few problems with that video

    There are no bikes in city centre either (well, you can walk them)
    that bus setup looks ***REALLY*** dangerous
    no bikes on the road (makes things hard for speed demons)

    You definitely need a feeling of community for this to work; people really need to work together in harmony. I feel we are all too individualistic and selfish here (as well as ethnically diverse and economically stratified) for this kind of approach to work right away. I know I'd be pissed waiting behind slower cyclists, but thats just because I'm not used to it.

    They definitely have the right idea and some of the best cycling infrastructure in the world though.
    If you watch closely you will see some folks blasting ahead by ducking into the traffic lanes but not as wide open in some respects. But again, it's what your used to. I also imagine they filmed at prime commuting time. I also get a little cranked behind slower cyclists, particularly the pedal and coasters. Maybe that's just a general sign for us all to slow down, at least when it doesn't matter.

    And welcome nerdsgirth. I used to do a daily ride to Steeles and Leslie, so I know what's it like riding where people have never seen a bicycle before. It was always a pleasure to see the rare cyclist.
    Last edited by cavit8; 04-18-07 at 04:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by operator
    truneo that tuned park internal nipple wrench work ??

  23. #23498
    Jonnys ilegitimate Father cavernmech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    toronto
    My Bikes
    too many too list
    Posts
    2,994
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRaffic Jammer
    how tall would a 70cm frame rider be? Good Lord!
    I remember seeing a pic of Bill Walton straddling his custom road bike. I thought at the time how the head tube was as long as a regular sized bikes seat tube. Mutants.

  24. #23499
    Tie me up, Tie me down
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    The Brown Beast
    Posts
    843
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iherald
    The guy who makes my peg leg did offer to build one with a pedal cleat built right in.
    That would be amazing.

  25. #23500
    Dances With Cars TRaffic Jammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    My Bikes
    TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)
    Posts
    10,527
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by somnambulant
    No sewing machine at my house, so I guess by hand. Plus I don't know how I'd get a sewing machine around the waterproof liner in my pack without taking the whole thing apart. I can easily get "behind" it (bag-within-a-bag kind of design) to do it manually though.
    My lovely wife has the perfect solution. Take it to a shoe maker, dry cleaner, or to someone that does alterations and such. If they can't do it, they'll tell you who can. That's keepin' it simple and it won't cost much.

    Welcome Home BTW

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •