OOhhh.... bring your cameras, I've got a RIDE for ya! The trip will take you north at the base of the mountains to Santa Barbara. You'll get a great view down to the ocean and S.B. Then head down towards UCSB and take the bike-path back through Hope Ranch. Descend past City College and go through Santa Barbara along the beach back to Carp.
- Start at Carpinteria State Beach, head back out the way you came in.
- Take 7th St. north (left)
- right on Santa Ynez Ave. to cross over freeway
- 1st left on Via Real (parallels freeway)
- take Via Real about 5 miles (minor climb at Ortega Hill Rd)
- becomes Jameson lane after Ortega Hill (go left at bottom of hill)
- right on San Ysidro Road, minor climbing of 500ft over 2 miles
- left on East Mountain Road (get the cameras ready)
- road becomes West Mountain road in about 5-6 miles
- then it starts coming down (stay right on Mountain)
- take right on 192/Cathedral Oaks (Foothill)
- (side-trip) left on Mission Canyon Rd. if you want to check out the Santa Barbara Mission, then go back to 192/Cathedral Oaks.
- stay on 192/Cathedral Oaks/Foothill for about 10-miles (the Slurpee Team used to train on this stretch all the time)
- left on Glenn Annie, go over freeway, it becomes Storke Road
- take Storke Road to end, you'll see the two Francisco Torres dorms on the left
- left turn into parking lot and find bike-path in front of dorms that parallels El Collegio road
- stay on bike-path as it goes through UCSB campus
- it will dump you out on the beach side of campus
- cross over Ocean Road and continue on bike-path on the beach side
- take bike-path downhill to Goleta Beach.
- left 270-degrees over short bridge
- immediate right at end of bridge onto bike-path again.
- go about 5 miles on bike-path
- bike-path ends left over foot-bridge and dumps you onto Arroyo Road
- 1st right on Nueces
- Nueces ends at a foot-bridge
- go over bridge and you've crossed into Santa Barbara, Nueces continues
- at 4-way intersection with Nogal drive, cross over onto bike-path
- go pass equestrian grounds until bike-path ends
- right on Modoc road, go up slight hill for 1.5 miles
- right at top of hill on Via Senda, go 50m
- right on Las Palmas into Hope Ranch
- after 100m check out the La Cumbre Country Club's golf-course on the left:
- road becomes Robles Drive, then Marina Drive as it winds through
- after about 3 miles and long straightaway, you exit through back gate of Hope Ranch
- right on Cliff Drive and go down hill, then up hill, about 2-miles
- right at Meigs Drive, do down hill,
- road curve left and becomes Shoreline Drive, go past City College
- you're now on the beach, downtown Santa Barbara, might be a good time for a lunch break. The Shoreline Beach Cafe
at Loma Alta drive across from City College is a good place on the beach. Or continue on to State St. and go right onto Stearn Wharf. Longboards
is a good place for lunch as well.
- Ok, continue south on Shoreline, it becomes Cabrillo Blvd, goes past the volleyball courts on the beach (sorority chics lose their bikini tops jumping around
- Cabrillo goes under 101 freeway
- curves right on the other side and becomes Coast Village Road
- go through Montecito, wave to the movie stars & Oprah
- At the end, take left on Olive Mill Road (don't go straight or you'll have to merge onto freeway)
- immediate 1st right on Jameson Lane
- go about 3 miles and hits Ortega Hill Road again
- becomes Lillie after Ortega Hill then Via Real
- continue about 4-5 miles, and it ends after the 7-11 store
- Right on Santa Ynez Ave
- left on 7th St. and you're back in Carpinteria!
Back in a little bit with a map...