Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    I'm just hardcore like th
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    kentucky for school, SC for home
    My Bikes
    Trek 5500, downtube folding bike
    Posts
    73
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Greenville, South Carolina Cyclists

    Just bored wondering how many people in this forum are from Greenville, SC. For those who are, I was just wondering about some of the rides that take place around Greenville. I live over behind Furman, so if anyone is up for some rides when I move back home from college (May 12) just let me know.

  2. #2
    Guinea Hood Ostuni's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    East of Shelbyville
    Posts
    2,809
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sunshine cycles is right around the corner from bob jones u on n. pleasantburg - have only been there once, but seems like a good shop and friendly folks who can hook you up with some rides...
    Tom Hagen: 'Thank you for the dinner and a very pleasant evening. If your car could take me to the airport - Mr. Corleone is a man who insists on hearing bad news immediately.'

  3. #3
    I'm just hardcore like th
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    kentucky for school, SC for home
    My Bikes
    Trek 5500, downtube folding bike
    Posts
    73
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ostuni
    sunshine cycles is right around the corner from bob jones u on n. pleasantburg - have only been there once, but seems like a good shop and friendly folks who can hook you up with some rides...

    I know where sunshine cycle shop is. I actually live within biking distance of them. The shop tends to be the main shop I go to b/c of convience and location.

  4. #4
    Skybird JLauren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Upstate SC, USA
    My Bikes
    2006 Trek 1500
    Posts
    229
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you venture south to rural Laurens County (that blank spot on the map between Greenville and Greenwood ), give me a holler. I've got a nice 27-30km (depending on variation) loop that's a pretty nice ride.

  5. #5
    I'm just hardcore like th
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    kentucky for school, SC for home
    My Bikes
    Trek 5500, downtube folding bike
    Posts
    73
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JLauren
    If you venture south to rural Laurens County (that blank spot on the map between Greenville and Greenwood ), give me a holler. I've got a nice 27-30km (depending on variation) loop that's a pretty nice ride.
    haha i know where that little blank spot on the road is. I actually have a triathlon in Greenwood in June. I can't wait to get home and go on a few group rides. I did my first one today and it was so much fun and effortless haha. I always have to bike by myself at school and home b/c i dont really know any cyclists around my area

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    693
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sunshine has some good morning rides on weekends and weekdays in the summer. they usually last about an hour to an hour and fifteen minutes. There are also the donaldson rides tuesday night which are great, definitely worth going to if you haven't been before. Any given saturday morning that there isn't a race in town, you can find people leaving from the parking lot by the Chapel in Furman to go to Saluda. That is an awsome ride with some good food at the top of the mountain. I know some of the other local shops, like the great escape, also have regular rides, but i'm not sure when. I'm actually away for school too, but i come back in town in about two weeks.

  7. #7
    I'm just hardcore like th
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    kentucky for school, SC for home
    My Bikes
    Trek 5500, downtube folding bike
    Posts
    73
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pearcem
    Sunshine has some good morning rides on weekends and weekdays in the summer. they usually last about an hour to an hour and fifteen minutes. There are also the donaldson rides tuesday night which are great, definitely worth going to if you haven't been before. Any given saturday morning that there isn't a race in town, you can find people leaving from the parking lot by the Chapel in Furman to go to Saluda. That is an awsome ride with some good food at the top of the mountain. I know some of the other local shops, like the great escape, also have regular rides, but i'm not sure when. I'm actually away for school too, but i come back in town in about two weeks.

    Yeah I am away at school as well. I will get back may 12, just in time for the clemson tri! I did not know that there were rides leaving out at Furman. I will have to check it out. I think that the less I have to drive for the bike ride the better haha. Furman or sunshine would be especially good b/c I could just bike out to the gathering spot. Thanks for the advice. What part of greenville are you from?

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    92
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't strictly live in Greenville (actually about 40 miles south) but my son and I ride there a lot (he's on a team that more or less operates out of Sunshine Cycles).

    Regarding shops in the area. Sunshine Cycles and Carolina Triathlon are the two of the bigger roadie oriented shops. Both have very knowledgable staffs and quality bike lines. I purchased two road bikes from Sunshine and have been very pleased. I wouldn't hesitate to deal with either shop. Both can provide info on area rides.

    Regarding rides, the "bakery ride" up the Greenville Watershed to Saluda, NC is a weekend favorite. Some people leave from Furman. Then there's the regular Tuesday night Donaldson Center practice-race hammerfest, with A (really fast--25mph + avg) B (fast 23 mph avg) and C (let's go ride in the country) groups. Area pros will often show up to ride with the A's. Local climbing challenges include the Watershed, Caesar's Head, Sasaphras Mt., etc. Then there's the local rural roads that provide endless variety for training. You may even see George Hincapie out training, as my son did on a ride two months ago.

    Hope this helps.

    Dr. Bill

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    693
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sctrackboy
    Yeah I am away at school as well. I will get back may 12, just in time for the clemson tri! I did not know that there were rides leaving out at Furman. I will have to check it out. I think that the less I have to drive for the bike ride the better haha. Furman or sunshine would be especially good b/c I could just bike out to the gathering spot. Thanks for the advice. What part of greenville are you from?

    I actually live downtown, right on Cleveland park.

    (he's on a team that more or less operates out of Sunshine Cycles)

    That sounds a lot like my team. . . .

  10. #10
    I'm just hardcore like th
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    kentucky for school, SC for home
    My Bikes
    Trek 5500, downtube folding bike
    Posts
    73
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bill
    I don't strictly live in Greenville (actually about 40 miles south) but my son and I ride there a lot (he's on a team that more or less operates out of Sunshine Cycles).

    Regarding shops in the area. Sunshine Cycles and Carolina Triathlon are the two of the bigger roadie oriented shops. Both have very knowledgable staffs and quality bike lines. I purchased two road bikes from Sunshine and have been very pleased. I wouldn't hesitate to deal with either shop. Both can provide info on area rides.

    Regarding rides, the "bakery ride" up the Greenville Watershed to Saluda, NC is a weekend favorite. Some people leave from Furman. Then there's the regular Tuesday night Donaldson Center practice-race hammerfest, with A (really fast--25mph + avg) B (fast 23 mph avg) and C (let's go ride in the country) groups. Area pros will often show up to ride with the A's. Local climbing challenges include the Watershed, Caesar's Head, Sasaphras Mt., etc. Then there's the local rural roads that provide endless variety for training. You may even see George Hincapie out training, as my son did on a ride two months ago.

    Hope this helps.

    Dr. Bill
    23/25mph is a very fast ride. I usually average around 20-21mph in triathlons. I have only been on 1 group ride, so I am not sure what the effort would be for going that fast. I know after going about 12-15 miles at about 21mph in a triathlon I am dead. So what teams are all you guys on in Greenville? I am also interested in doing a time trial this summer in Greenville... any idea where/when some may occur?

    Yeah Pearcem, I live about 10 minutes from cleveland park. I live literally behind furman about a mile or 2 from the base of paris mountain.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    92
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=sctrackboy]23/25mph is a very fast ride. I usually average around 20-21mph in triathlons. I have only been on 1 group ride, so I am not sure what the effort would be for going that fast. I know after going about 12-15 miles at about 21mph in a triathlon I am dead. So what teams are all you guys on in Greenville? I am also interested in doing a time trial this summer in Greenville... any idea where/when some may occur?


    23-25 mph may sound fast, but don't confuse riding in a group with riding by yourself. There's a BIG difference in the speed you can maintain. For example, I can do a short TT at around 22-23 mph, but last May a group of 40 or so of us did an organized metric century (62 miles) in 2:30. And I'm an old geezer! I think you'll be fine, once you get the hang of it.

    More important is learning how to ride in a pack. It sounds like you are a triathlete, and unfortunately a lot of tri-guys don't master pack skills. One problem in this connection is aerobars. It is much more difficult to ride straight and steady with aerobars, and they pose a threat to others in case of a crash. That's why the USCF forbids the use of aerobars in mass-start events. The Greenville Spinners Club is adamant that none will be used in the Donaldson Center practice races, and rightly so. So, ditch the aerobars before you show up for a group ride.

    Dr. Bill

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •