Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Bianchi Eros on closeout - Good deal or not

    I have been lurking for awhile and reading a ton of info on the forum. This is a fantastic site with lots of good info and advice.

    I am new to "hard core" road cycling. I currently ride an '04 Cannondale Adventure 400 that I use for commuting to work and general cruising around (added a rear rack & panniers, fenders and lights. Definitely not going to set any speed records on this thing). I want to up the ante a bit and start going on some longer rides. In addition, I am riding in the PMC (Pan-Mass Challenge) in August and the Cannondale is not going to cut it.

    After reading all of the posts in the "under $700 roadbike" thread, I started to get an idea of what I am looking for. I like the idea of a steel frame (in high school, rode an old Peugot from the 70's that me and the old man rebuilt from the ground up. Great bike, still have it, will probably reincarnate as a single speed).

    So to make a long story short, I went down to the local LBS to take a look at the Bianchi Strada. They didn't have any on hand but they did have an Eros. Absolutely beautiful. On closeout for $700 and it is in my size (or so I think, I didn't get to ride it because it was pouring down rain outside. Going back in a few days to take it for a spin). Anyways, I get back home and look up on the Bianchi site to get the specs. After doing a little detective work, it turns out is a 2001 model!!!! How does a bike sit around in a shop for 5 years without selling? Seems a bit suspicious to me. Is $700 too much (original retail was $1100 back in '01), or should I try and talk the guy down to $600 (or lower). Or just walk away and stick with the original plan of looking at the Strada?

    Sorry for the long post. Any and all input is greatly appreciated.
    To reap the rewards, you have to do the work.

  2. #2
    In beaurocratic limbo urbanknight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, K2 Razorback
    Posts
    22,457
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a decent buy to me. I think it's hard to find a new bike with Mirage for that price. Not a whole heck of a lot has changed, and it's easily upgradeable if you want to later. It's probably just been in the shop for a long time because Bianchis aren't as popular as the Treks, Giants, etc. (ala Civic Nation), but equally as good of a bike in its own right. I love my steel Bianchi, and think you would be happy with it as a steel bike as well. As for price, you could try to talk them down a bit since they might be desperate to get it out of the store to stop taking up floor space, but that's iffy. Fine deal either way, though, imo.

  3. #3
    Senior Member late's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Southern Maine
    Posts
    8,290
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    the odds are pretty good that you got lucky.
    Take it for a test ride. If it fits, jump on it.

  4. #4
    Senior Member biker7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2,850
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brother...above advice is what you paid for it...lol. Don't buy a 2001 Eros for $700...isn't close to worth it.
    The Eros is a great bike for the money. I ride the step up Bianchi Veloce which has a very similar frameset only with Campy Veloce running gear. I love the bike. To me that is the sweet spot in the Bianchi steel line but the Eros is a great value and would serve you well if you don't race. If you shop at the end of the year you can find a 2005 Eros with updated running gear on close out for $700-$800. Don't spend that for a 2001. If you like the older Eros which is still a good bike...offer the bike shop owner $450-$500 tops. If you want to know why the bike is still there...probably because the bike shop owner wants too much for it. You can buy more bike for $700.
    HTH,
    George

  5. #5
    In beaurocratic limbo urbanknight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, K2 Razorback
    Posts
    22,457
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I've never seen a bike shop go more than 50% below the original retail of a bike, no matter how old it is. But if he can get it for $450, all the better. I see USED 2001 Eros's go for that much though. I paid $650 for my used 2001 Veloce, which I think was a fair pice. Not a steal, but not a rip off.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Francisco
    My Bikes
    2005 Bianchi Eros, Celeste
    Posts
    242
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought my 2005 Eros for $1000 from my LBS. I would talk him down.

  7. #7
    In beaurocratic limbo urbanknight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, K2 Razorback
    Posts
    22,457
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you should start a poll on how much people think this thing is worth! lol

  8. #8
    Senior Member rufvelo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    4,197
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by biker7
    ..offer the bike shop owner $450-$500 tops. If you want to know why the bike is still there...probably because the bike shop owner wants too much for it....
    Good advice.

  9. #9
    100% USDA certified the beef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Seattle -> NYC
    My Bikes
    Bianchi XL EV2
    Posts
    4,022
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 2001 Eros retailed for around $1000 new.. talk him down. It's pretty outdated, CroMo fork, threaded headset and all, but the Campy parts are nice. Spec sheet here.

    http://gianni.bianchiusa.com/2001/se...ros/index.html

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thanks for the input

    I appreciate everyone's feedback. It definitely helps.

    I will probably head over this week and take the Eros for a spin and then see what kind of low ball offer I can throw out there. If the guy refuses, then I can head out the door to the other dealers in the area and see what they have in the way of Strada's (my original plan). May still opt for the Strada or even a newer Eros regardless of how the '01 rides.
    To reap the rewards, you have to do the work.

  11. #11
    100% USDA certified the beef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Seattle -> NYC
    My Bikes
    Bianchi XL EV2
    Posts
    4,022
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are your needs? The Strada's basically a flatbar version of the Bianchi Brava, and a tad heavier/more expensive. You should be able to get a brand new Brava for under $700; they're steel with the carbon fork; maybe you could consider one of those.

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I meant Brava, not Strada. Can't keep all of the Italian names straight in my head.
    To reap the rewards, you have to do the work.

  13. #13
    100% USDA certified the beef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Seattle -> NYC
    My Bikes
    Bianchi XL EV2
    Posts
    4,022
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, yeah. I would definitely take a look at the Brava - it's a very nice bicycle (I've got one ). The steel frame really rides nicely. The Eros, '01 model included, is probably a little lighter than the Brava; it's got a higher-grade steel frame. I'd stay away from the '01 - the steel fork will feel more jarring on rides than the carbon fork on the newer Eros and the Brava. Try out the new Eros and the Brava, decide which one fits better after all the proper adjustments, think about your budget/needs, talk to the dude, and go for it.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    You will love the Eros, but too much for a 2001.

    I got my new 2006 Eros (actually got 2, other was for nephew's graduation) from Village Bicycle (Jim is owner) in Westpost, Mass. (www.villagebicycle.com). Mine was right at 9 bills. He had a large inventory 3 months ago and wanted to move some, so not sure about the price. For 200. more you get a carbon fork, upgrade wheelset (Mavic Aksium), complete Mirage group and full warranty. I absolutely love mine. Good luck and let us know what you get. BTW, I have mail ordered a few bikes and the Bianchi took about 20 minutes to put on handlebar, wheels, and pedals, and that was it. I am all for supporting my LBS, but they wanted $350. more and had to order.

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jimx200 - Thanks for the heads up. I am only about an hour from there and it's only 30 minutes from the in-law's (they always like it when I drop in!) so I may have to take a look this weekend.
    To reap the rewards, you have to do the work.

  16. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimx200
    I got my new 2006 Eros (actually got 2, other was for nephew's graduation) from Village Bicycle (Jim is owner) in Westpost, Mass. (www.villagebicycle.com). Mine was right at 9 bills. He had a large inventory 3 months ago and wanted to move some, so not sure about the price. For 200. more you get a carbon fork, upgrade wheelset (Mavic Aksium), complete Mirage group and full warranty. I absolutely love mine. Good luck and let us know what you get. BTW, I have mail ordered a few bikes and the Bianchi took about 20 minutes to put on handlebar, wheels, and pedals, and that was it. I am all for supporting my LBS, but they wanted $350. more and had to order.
    jimx200 - Thanks for the advice. I went down to Village Bicycle last Thursday and met with Jim, the owner. He probably spent 1.5 - 2 hours with me, getting me fitted using their sizing machine, adjusting the bike based on the measurements, as well as putting the bike on the trainer and showing me how to use the pedals (never used clipless before). I ended up getting an '05 Eros for $799 on closeout (plus 15% off any parts and accessories that I buy from now until July). I love this bike. Maybe it is because I haven't been on a road bike in 20 years but it is absolutely amazing how fast and responsive it is. It feels like the bike is an extension your body and is just standing by saying "hey I am ready to go when you want to". The miles are already starting to pile up...
    To reap the rewards, you have to do the work.

  17. #17
    Just shy of 400W ranger5oh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Saint Louis
    My Bikes
    Cannondale System 6, Klein Palomino
    Posts
    765
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a reason you are only looking at Bianchis?
    2008 Cannondale System Six
    2003 Klein Palomino MTB

    60% of the time, it works everytime.

  18. #18
    Senior Member H20.1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Washington, DC/ Köln, Germany
    My Bikes
    Bianchi, Olmo
    Posts
    584
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonBubba
    I have been lurking for awhile and reading a ton of info on the forum. This is a fantastic site with lots of good info and advice.

    I am new to "hard core" road cycling. I currently ride an '04 Cannondale Adventure 400 that I use for commuting to work and general cruising around (added a rear rack & panniers, fenders and lights. Definitely not going to set any speed records on this thing). I want to up the ante a bit and start going on some longer rides. In addition, I am riding in the PMC (Pan-Mass Challenge) in August and the Cannondale is not going to cut it.

    After reading all of the posts in the "under $700 roadbike" thread, I started to get an idea of what I am looking for. I like the idea of a steel frame (in high school, rode an old Peugot from the 70's that me and the old man rebuilt from the ground up. Great bike, still have it, will probably reincarnate as a single speed).

    So to make a long story short, I went down to the local LBS to take a look at the Bianchi Strada. They didn't have any on hand but they did have an Eros. Absolutely beautiful. On closeout for $700 and it is in my size (or so I think, I didn't get to ride it because it was pouring down rain outside. Going back in a few days to take it for a spin). Anyways, I get back home and look up on the Bianchi site to get the specs. After doing a little detective work, it turns out is a 2001 model!!!! How does a bike sit around in a shop for 5 years without selling? Seems a bit suspicious to me. Is $700 too much (original retail was $1100 back in '01), or should I try and talk the guy down to $600 (or lower). Or just walk away and stick with the original plan of looking at the Strada?

    Sorry for the long post. Any and all input is greatly appreciated.
    I say snag it.

    Why?

    2002 was the last year for the Italian-made SL steel frame. Deda tubes, made in the Reparto Corse factory. You can always upgrade the Mirage stuff. The frame is a great modern steel frame though, light and rock solid.

    Although the entry-level road bike in Bianchi's line, $700 is a good deal for that bike if it is brand new. I have an old Veloce from around that time period (same frame with better parts) and it is a great bike.

    [edit: didnt read entire thread, congrats on the 2005]

  19. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, I forgot to include the fact that the '01 Eros was a 59 cm. The '05 that I bought is 57 cm. After getting properly measured, a 59 cm would have been too big. Not only would I have bought an '01 but it would have been too big.
    To reap the rewards, you have to do the work.

  20. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger5oh
    Is there a reason you are only looking at Bianchis?
    I looked at the Specialized and the Cannondale (I have a Cannondale Adventure 400 with upgraded seat and pedals that I bomb around on) but it came down to the fact that I wanted a steel frame.

    Plus, the Eros has the same frame as the upper end Bianchi's that go for around $1700 so I can upgrade the components if I need to upgrade, shed weight, etc.
    To reap the rewards, you have to do the work.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •