Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 67

Thread: Dork Disk

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    469
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Dork Disk

    I gather that no one here likes "Dork Disks" My old bike does not have one (must not have been invented yet). Does the dork disk have any sort of function or is it just a silly doo dad? I'm asking in case my new bike-on layaway has one (I don't think it does but I'm not completely sure).

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    469
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://2006.lemondbikes.com/2006_bik...s_womens.shtml

    Well looks like it doesn't have a dork disk. How come some bikes have 'em and some don't?

  3. #3
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,335
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    don't go by catalog shots. it'll have one.

  4. #4
    Faith-Vigilance-Service Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Port Orchard, WA
    My Bikes
    Trinity, Paradisus, Centurion, Mongoose, Trek
    Posts
    8,333
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is designed to prevent the chain from damaging the spokes of the rear wheel, if it was to get forced beyond the largest cog on the cassette. However, if the rear deerailleur is properly adjusted, this should never happen to begin with.
    President, OCP
    --"Will you have some tea... at the theatre with me?"--

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    469
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botto
    don't go by catalog shots. it'll have one.
    Wouldn't that be false advertising?

  6. #6
    key
    key is offline
    Senior Member key's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Newcastle, Australia
    Posts
    243
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patriot
    It is designed to prevent the chain from damaging the spokes of the rear wheel, if it was to get forced beyond the largest cog on the cassette. However, if the rear deerailleur is properly adjusted, this should never happen to begin with.
    if you rear deraillur gets pushed into the rear wheel in a crash, you more likely have other things to worry about...

  7. #7
    Senior Member roadwarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Galt Gulch
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Super Six High Mod, Evo, Sram Red, CAAD9 Rival
    Posts
    9,977
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patriot
    It is designed to prevent the chain from damaging the spokes of the rear wheel, if it was to get forced beyond the largest cog on the cassette. However, if the rear deerailleur is properly adjusted, this should never happen to begin with.
    Thus, the name.

    "Nothing is so typical of middling minds than to harp on the intellectual deficiencies of the slightly less smart, but considerably more successful."
    Bret Stephens, WSJ

  8. #8
    ADMlN aprilia4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Sydney, Down Unda!
    My Bikes
    Trek 1500
    Posts
    255
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took mine off, and then put it back on again when the chain went in between the cog and the spokes and locked my rear wheel going up a hill. Damaged the spokes and all...

    This was after my Trek official dealer serviced my bike... needless to say I re-adjusted the RD and put the dork disk back on... I don't really give a rat's a$$ what other people think... it doesn't matter when I fly past them.

  9. #9
    Spelling Snob Hobartlemagne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    My Bikes
    Panasonic DX4000, Bianchi Pista
    Posts
    2,863
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patriot
    It is designed to prevent the chain from damaging the spokes of the rear wheel, if it was to get forced beyond the largest cog on the cassette. However, if the rear deerailleur is properly adjusted, this should never happen to begin with.
    Thats true- but I recently saw a situation where a dork disk saved a wheel. I was riding with a friend and he took a right turn too hard on gravel and fell. his "properly adjusted" derailleur was knocked out of adjustment without him knowing. He got up and started riding, began downshifting to climb a hill, and the chain shifted off the cassette onto the disk. Without it, the chain would have gotten jammed between the cassette and the spokes.

    The first rule of flats is You don't talk about flats!

  10. #10
    Senior Member trek1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Novi, Michigan
    My Bikes
    Trek '06 2100ZR, 7.5FX, '05 Fuel EX8
    Posts
    459
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some people say helmets look dorky so don't wear them either.
    Fuel EX8(05') 2100 ZR(06') 7.5 FX(06')=Best $ I ever spent =~)
    Mavic-Time-Sidi-PI-Primal-Giro-CamelBak-Bike Eye-Bell-Bandana-Park-eGel-PBJ's

    The bitter taste of poor quality far out lasts the sweet taste of a low price.

  11. #11
    Senior Member willieb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    South GA
    My Bikes
    2006 Trek Madone 5.2
    Posts
    406
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aprilia4life
    I took mine off, and then put it back on again when the chain went in between the cog and the spokes and locked my rear wheel going up a hill. Damaged the spokes and all...

    This was after my Trek official dealer serviced my bike... needless to say I re-adjusted the RD and put the dork disk back on... I don't really give a rat's a$$ what other people think... it doesn't matter when I fly past them.
    +1
    Last edited by willieb; 04-12-07 at 06:59 AM.
    ~willieb

  12. #12
    Super Moderator BillyD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    My Bikes
    Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92; Schwinn Continental '76.
    Posts
    12,144
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aprilia4life
    I don't really give a rat's a$$ what other people think... it doesn't matter when I fly past them.
    Yup. The classic Fred's Revenge.

    As you zip past them you say to yourself "FRED THIS"!! And then you just smile.
    Where else but the internet can a bunch of cyclists go and be the tough guy? - - jdon
    Titanium Division

  13. #13
    your god hates me Bob Ross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,963
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My bike came with the largest dork disc I've ever seen in my life; any larger and it would be an aero wheel. I asked the LBS where I bought the bike to remove it, and they refused. Gave me a bunch of prudent reasons, all of which I was forced to acknowledge...because admit it, the only reason for *not* having a dork disc is because they look dorky.

    So I just took a silver Sharpie marker and wrote "DORK DISC" in big letters on the dork disc, and now it's a badge of honor!


    (Actually, my biggest concern is that all dork discs eventually break...while you're riding. Having had to ride around for several miles with a broken dork disc on at least two separate occasions, I'd perfer not to have to suffer through that again, so I'll probably still remove it preemptively. Time to buy a chain whip...)

  14. #14
    Spelling Snob Hobartlemagne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    My Bikes
    Panasonic DX4000, Bianchi Pista
    Posts
    2,863
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could write "fred this" around the edge.

    The first rule of flats is You don't talk about flats!

  15. #15
    Pretend Racer dcvelo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Northern Neck
    Posts
    1,282
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah jeez, just stay out of your 25 cog and you don't need to worry about it.

  16. #16
    the actual el guapo atomship47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    midwest
    My Bikes
    '06 trek 7300, '05 db wildwood, '07 felt z35
    Posts
    1,035
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm going to paint mine green to match my bike
    Compatibility:

    Your exact opposite is the Televangelist.

    Other personalities you would probably get along with are the Capitalist Pig, the Smartass, and the Sociopath.

  17. #17
    Certifiable Bike "Expert"
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,631
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mukluk
    Wouldn't that be false advertising?
    I didn't see any reflectors in the website photo, either... but it will come with those as well.
    I don't even use the offensive term "Fred." -- Sheldon "All Cyclists Are My Friends" Brown (1944-2008)

  18. #18
    Certifiable Bike "Expert"
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,631
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife's bike has the dork disk. The disk is broken and makes noise. Ugh.

    Some of the old bikes had metal dork disks. Even more geeky, but probably more reliable.

    The trend lately seems to be REALLY HUGE dork disks. I have no idea why.
    I don't even use the offensive term "Fred." -- Sheldon "All Cyclists Are My Friends" Brown (1944-2008)

  19. #19
    Senior Member Jack Hammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    80
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Worry about riding your bike. Not about what some elitist A-holes think you should or shouldn't have on it because it doesn't fit into their vision of what a 'true' bicyclist is. A lot of those people don't put many miles on their bikes, they just like to brag about how much better they 'are.'

    My mentallity when riding is like in golf, I'm my only competition.

    Jack

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    469
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well if it's a safety issue I'm keepin' it!!! However, I think I will contact my local University Art Department and see if I can customize the dork disc- Or perhaps I should just do it myself? It could be decorated like a miniature pizza or a birthday cake or.....

  21. #21
    Spelling Snob Hobartlemagne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    My Bikes
    Panasonic DX4000, Bianchi Pista
    Posts
    2,863
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mukluk
    Well if it's a safety issue I'm keepin' it!!! However, I think I will contact my local University Art Department and see if I can customize the dork disc- Or perhaps I should just do it myself? It could be decorated like a miniature pizza or a birthday cake or.....
    Good idea- you could start a designer dork disk craze

    The first rule of flats is You don't talk about flats!

  22. #22
    Cat None SDRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    My Bikes
    LOOK KG 461, LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er 0
    Posts
    4,508
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mukluk
    Wouldn't that be false advertising?
    Why? Because you got a small plastic disk on your bike when the picture doesn't show one?

    Just remove it if you don't like it. I've had them on bikes in the past but eventually they get brittle and crack and you have to remove them anyway.

  23. #23
    OM boy cyclezen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Goleta CA
    My Bikes
    a bunch
    Posts
    3,011
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mukluk
    I think I will contact my local University Art Department and see if I can customize the dork disc
    itz a marketing opportunity!
    be the 1st to come up with a kinda 'spoky' chrome one that spins, even when you stop.

    Then you can sell it alongside $100 stems

  24. #24
    No one carries the DogBoy
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,254
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantoj
    ...The trend lately seems to be REALLY HUGE dork disks. I have no idea why.
    Perhaps to deal with the 34t cassette cogs?

  25. #25
    Membar subcultro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    227
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty sure my bike came with the biggest dork disk on the face of this earth. The ladies love it.


Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •