Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (http://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/)
-   -   The Merlin (http://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/305019-merlin.html)

stevesurf 06-02-07 05:45 PM

The Merlin
 
OK build #2 ~ you know the drill; please help me fill in the missing components. So far

Thanks again to Chris at Planet Bike in East Brunswick for the awesome build jobbies

I have:

Merlin 6/4 traditional geometry Ti Frame:
http://www.excelsports.com/image/Mer...-4%20Frame.jpg

Easton EC90SL Carbon Fork:
http://www.eastonbike.com/images/P-f...39;06_both.jpg

Easton EC90 Equipe Carbon Road
http://www.eastonbike.com/images/P-b...0_equipe_F.jpg

Easton EC70 Carbon/Al Post
http://www.eastonbike.com/images/P-p...'06web.jpg

Easton EA50 90mm Al Stem
http://www.eastonbike.com/images/P-s..._'06_A.jpg

Ksyrium SL
http://bikesport.com/images/library/..._pair_05_m.jpg

I need help with:

Gruppo
Headset
Spacers
Seat
Tires
Tape
Pedals will be Time RXS Carbon Titan as I am committed on two other bikes...

TIA!

el twe 06-02-07 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesurf
I need help with:
Spacers
Seat

Spacers?!?!

And saddle choice is very personal.

VT Biker 06-03-07 12:59 AM

That is going to be one awesome bike. Merlin I think made a mistake going away from the Traditional Geometry with their WORKS line of bikes. So that fact you were able to snag one is great.

stevesurf 06-03-07 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vpiuva
You already have the wheelset? Shimano or Campy splined?

Shimano

Quote:

Originally Posted by VT Biker
That is going to be one awesome bike. Merlin I think made a mistake going away from the Traditional Geometry with their WORKS line of bikes. So that fact you were able to snag one is great.

Thanks ~ thats what I heard; so I took the closeout deal over at Excel for the frame.

Right now I'm trying to decide again between Ultegra and DA...

VT to CA 06-03-07 04:22 AM

Gruppo - Dura Ace everything- except the chain and crankset... FSA K-Force Light for the cranks and a SRAM pc991 hollowpin chain (missing-link easy on/off is invaluable)

Headset - Standard, correct? One choice there- Chris King NoThreadSet

Spacers - Whatever... keep the carbon thing going, I guess

Seat - Veeery personal. Since you asked though- I like Specialized Toupes... Selle Italia SLK's are nice, although if I was in the market I'd probably try the SLC Kit Carbonio... or that SLR Kit Carbonio Flow...

Tires - I'm a Vredestein man. I think they make the best riding clinchers, hands down... can't beat that 145 psi. Go with what I ride... Fortezza TriComps for training, Fortezza SL's for race days if you're not on tubulars.

Tape - RavX Stitch tape. Or if you can't find that, it's better known as Stella Azzurra Eleganza (same company, same tape).

Stem - I know you didn't request opinions here, but that ea50 isn't in the same league with the rest of your setup. If you want to keep the all-Easton thing rolling, go higher-end there... or if you'll venture into other brands, then I can't say enough good things about the Ritchey WCS 4-Axis...

Sirrobinofcoxly 06-03-07 04:47 AM

add drool

unbelievably 06-03-07 04:58 AM

Easton EC90 bars have a shallow reach, IMO.
If you were to go for Thompson seatpost, you could gain on the stem length.

Squint 06-03-07 05:09 AM

I may have seen your frame the last time I was at Excel.

I have the same handlebars, fork, and seatpost on my Lynskey.

You'll need to get a compression plug for the fork. The Beartrap device is an eyesore on top of not working very well. You can call Easton and they'll send you a compression plug. Or get an FSA one (Profile and Reynolds don't fit).

In my frame, the seatpost required more torque than usual to keep it from slipping. It also got scratched very easily. It's my first and probably last carbon fiber seatpost.

I made the mistake of getting a Cane Creek headset after always having Chris Kings on my bikes. After a few weeks, a knock developed that I couldn't adjust out. The CC headset cups were very difficult to remove. I had to bang away at them for 2 hours even with the proper tools. I've never had that much difficulty removing headset cups.

As for spacers, carbon fiber ones have never lined up flush with each other. I haven't had this problem with Al spacers. The solution is to just use one big spacer.

w0lffian 06-03-07 10:11 AM

I think your build is the perfect canadate for the new Ultegra sl,
little lighter than the original, and it would look hot against the ti

Markedoc 06-03-07 10:35 AM

Here's what I did:

Merlin CR 6/4 Works (same sale at Excel)
EC70 stem
EC90 seat post
EC90 Equipe Pro bars (they are non-ergo)
EC90 SLX fork
Easton Orion II wheels
Zero gravity SS brakes
DA 10

Oh - and Shimano Flight Deck

Nessism 06-03-07 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unbelievably
Easton EC90 bars have a shallow reach, IMO.
If you were to go for Thompson seatpost, you could gain on the stem length.

Never adjust reach to the bars via saddle position. Saddle position is set relative to the bottom bracket. Reach is set up after establishing proper saddle position.

Regarding the crank, stay with Shimano. Shifting is flawless and crank arms don't fall off like FSA. :(

stevesurf 06-03-07 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VT to CA
Gruppo - Dura Ace everything- except the chain and crankset... FSA K-Force Light for the cranks and a SRAM pc991 hollowpin chain (missing-link easy on/off is invaluable)

Headset - Standard, correct? One choice there- Chris King NoThreadSet

Spacers - Whatever... keep the carbon thing going, I guess

Seat - Veeery personal. Since you asked though- I like Specialized Toupes... Selle Italia SLK's are nice, although if I was in the market I'd probably try the SLC Kit Carbonio... or that SLR Kit Carbonio Flow...

Tires - I'm a Vredestein man. I think they make the best riding clinchers, hands down... can't beat that 145 psi. Go with what I ride... Fortezza TriComps for training, Fortezza SL's for race days if you're not on tubulars.

Tape - RavX Stitch tape. Or if you can't find that, it's better known as Stella Azzurra Eleganza (same company, same tape).

Stem - I know you didn't request opinions here, but that ea50 isn't in the same league with the rest of your setup. If you want to keep the all-Easton thing rolling, go higher-end there... or if you'll venture into other brands, then I can't say enough good things about the Ritchey WCS 4-Axis...

Great sdvice; will be looking to replace the EA50 with EC90, but I have Easton EC90 Equipe Pro Road Bar 2006 26mm and I have to have a 90mm stem that will fit the narrow diam bars.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Squint
I may have seen your frame the last time I was at Excel.

I have the same handlebars, fork, and seatpost on my Lynskey.

You'll need to get a compression plug for the fork. The Beartrap device is an eyesore on top of not working very well. You can call Easton and they'll send you a compression plug. Or get an FSA one (Profile and Reynolds don't fit).

In my frame, the seatpost required more torque than usual to keep it from slipping. It also got scratched very easily. It's my first and probably last carbon fiber seatpost.

I made the mistake of getting a Cane Creek headset after always having Chris Kings on my bikes. After a few weeks, a knock developed that I couldn't adjust out. The CC headset cups were very difficult to remove. I had to bang away at them for 2 hours even with the proper tools. I've never had that much difficulty removing headset cups.

As for spacers, carbon fiber ones have never lined up flush with each other. I haven't had this problem with Al spacers. The solution is to just use one big spacer.

More great advice - I was planning on Chris King; so no problems right? I'll call Easton for a compresion plug - thanks!


Quote:

Originally Posted by w0lffian
I think your build is the perfect canadate for the new Ultegra sl, little lighter than the original, and it would look hot against the ti

I know, now it's between DA and Ultegra SL, but SL may not come out in time!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Markedoc
Here's what I did:

Merlin CR 6/4 Works (same sale at Excel)
EC70 stem
EC90 seat post
EC90 Equipe Pro bars (they are non-ergo)
EC90 SLX fork
Easton Orion II wheels
Zero gravity SS brakes
DA 10

Oh - and Shimano Flight Deck

Will try to get an EC90 stem, but may have to go to EC70. Mavic Ksyrium SL's are already purchased; although I've heard nice things about Easton Wheels, but then again, I'm glad I got Mavic's!

shabbasuraj 06-03-07 02:45 PM

I like that frame... but the decals on the seat tube and the seat stays are a little overkill.

looking forward to some completed pics.

-VELOCITY- 06-03-07 02:45 PM

Looks magical. :D

unbelievably 06-03-07 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nessism
Never adjust reach to the bars via saddle position. Saddle position is set relative to the bottom bracket. Reach is set up after establishing proper saddle position. :(

Hmm...:o

SpongeDad 06-03-07 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squint
In my frame, the seatpost required more torque than usual to keep it from slipping. It also got scratched very easily. It's my first and probably last carbon fiber seatpost.

Had same problem with my EC70 seatpost in my Merlin. Maybe it's just this post. I can't believe everyone else puts up with this.

Squint 06-03-07 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpongeDad
Had same problem with my EC70 seatpost in my Merlin. Maybe it's just this post. I can't believe everyone else puts up with this.

It might be due to the non-round shape (the fore and aft relief areas) designed to resist crushing. Instead, we have to use more torque to keep the post from slipping which increases the risk of crushing the post...

Patriot 06-03-07 09:05 PM

Gruppo- Campy

Headset- Something Black

Spacers- Something Black (carbon)

Seat- Something Black. Whatever feels good on your bum.

Tires- Something black.

Tape- Again, something black.



You got all those nice lightweight carbon bits, and then an alloy stem?

There's something wrong with you.


;)





btw, beautiful frame.

VT to CA 06-04-07 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patriot
You got all those nice lightweight carbon bits, and then an alloy stem?

In the land of ultralight stems, alloy is still king.

Markedoc 06-04-07 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squint

In my frame, the seatpost required more torque than usual to keep it from slipping. It also got scratched very easily. It's my first and probably last carbon fiber seatpost.

Did you use carbon paste?

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za...MODE=&TFC=TRUE

stevesurf 06-11-07 01:09 PM

Update: I had ordered a EA70, not a EA50; I really don't see any reason to get a carbon stem, unless you folks tell me otherwise. I think a EA70 will work with the EC90 bars.

I really would like to keep the parts interchangeable with the other build, so I'm leaning toward Ultegra, unless Ultegra SL comes out soon. Any updates on it?

I tried out and like this crazy saddle:

http://www.bikeandrun.co.uk/bikeshop...rbon-mp_01.jpg

Squint 06-11-07 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markedoc

No, that's for people who don't have good torque wrenches.

VT to CA 06-11-07 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squint
It might be due to the non-round shape (the fore and aft relief areas) designed to resist crushing. Instead, we have to use more torque to keep the post from slipping which increases the risk of crushing the post...

Non-round?... as in there's spaces between the seat tube and the post when it's installed?!

henria86 09-04-07 09:59 PM

Steve..
u need to get Velo Plugs.. there great for the weight weenie...an easy to install pops right in

ridethecliche 09-04-07 10:06 PM

Isn't Ultegra SL out now?

Are you going to use it?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:16 AM.