Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 80

Thread: The Merlin

  1. #1
    another cat...FAB! stevesurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    1st star to the right...
    My Bikes
    Merlin Ti Build, Trek Y-50, Bianchi Titanium Build, Custom Cuevas Road bike
    Posts
    1,469
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    The Merlin

    OK build #2 ~ you know the drill; please help me fill in the missing components. So far

    Thanks again to Chris at Planet Bike in East Brunswick for the awesome build jobbies

    I have:

    Merlin 6/4 traditional geometry Ti Frame:


    Easton EC90SL Carbon Fork:


    Easton EC90 Equipe Carbon Road


    Easton EC70 Carbon/Al Post


    Easton EA50 90mm Al Stem


    Ksyrium SL


    I need help with:

    Gruppo
    Headset
    Spacers
    Seat
    Tires
    Tape
    Pedals will be Time RXS Carbon Titan as I am committed on two other bikes...

    TIA!
    Last edited by stevesurf; 06-08-07 at 09:17 AM.

  2. #2
    crotchety young dude el twe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    SF, CA
    My Bikes
    IRO Angus; Casati Gold Line; Redline 925; '72 Schwinn Olympic Paramount
    Posts
    4,818
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stevesurf
    I need help with:
    Spacers
    Seat
    Spacers?!?!

    And saddle choice is very personal.
    Quote Originally Posted by CardiacKid View Post
    I explained that he could never pay me enough cash for the amount of work I had put into that bike and the only way to compensate me for it was to ride the hell out of it.
    IRO Angus Casati Gold Line

  3. #3
    Senior Member VT Biker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Denver, CO
    My Bikes
    Cannondale R700 (2005)
    Posts
    1,962
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is going to be one awesome bike. Merlin I think made a mistake going away from the Traditional Geometry with their WORKS line of bikes. So that fact you were able to snag one is great.

  4. #4
    another cat...FAB! stevesurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    1st star to the right...
    My Bikes
    Merlin Ti Build, Trek Y-50, Bianchi Titanium Build, Custom Cuevas Road bike
    Posts
    1,469
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vpiuva
    You already have the wheelset? Shimano or Campy splined?
    Shimano

    Quote Originally Posted by VT Biker
    That is going to be one awesome bike. Merlin I think made a mistake going away from the Traditional Geometry with their WORKS line of bikes. So that fact you were able to snag one is great.
    Thanks ~ thats what I heard; so I took the closeout deal over at Excel for the frame.

    Right now I'm trying to decide again between Ultegra and DA...

  5. #5
    Roman Killer VT to CA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,163
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gruppo - Dura Ace everything- except the chain and crankset... FSA K-Force Light for the cranks and a SRAM pc991 hollowpin chain (missing-link easy on/off is invaluable)

    Headset - Standard, correct? One choice there- Chris King NoThreadSet

    Spacers - Whatever... keep the carbon thing going, I guess

    Seat - Veeery personal. Since you asked though- I like Specialized Toupes... Selle Italia SLK's are nice, although if I was in the market I'd probably try the SLC Kit Carbonio... or that SLR Kit Carbonio Flow...

    Tires - I'm a Vredestein man. I think they make the best riding clinchers, hands down... can't beat that 145 psi. Go with what I ride... Fortezza TriComps for training, Fortezza SL's for race days if you're not on tubulars.

    Tape - RavX Stitch tape. Or if you can't find that, it's better known as Stella Azzurra Eleganza (same company, same tape).

    Stem - I know you didn't request opinions here, but that ea50 isn't in the same league with the rest of your setup. If you want to keep the all-Easton thing rolling, go higher-end there... or if you'll venture into other brands, then I can't say enough good things about the Ritchey WCS 4-Axis...
    Last edited by VT to CA; 06-03-07 at 05:28 AM.
    All your bike are belong to us.

  6. #6
    Have bike. Will travel. Sirrobinofcoxly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    -=Toronto=-
    My Bikes
    '06 Orbea Orca, '03 Rocky Mountain Vertex 70, '05 Surly Steamroller, '06 Fetish Fixation
    Posts
    2,157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    add drool

  7. #7
    Senior Member unbelievably's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Under the Thumb
    Posts
    1,362
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Easton EC90 bars have a shallow reach, IMO.
    If you were to go for Thompson seatpost, you could gain on the stem length.
    The pleasures which we most rarely experience give us the greatest delight.

  8. #8
    base training heretic Squint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Denver, CO
    My Bikes
    Cervelo P3C, many Litespeeds
    Posts
    716
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I may have seen your frame the last time I was at Excel.

    I have the same handlebars, fork, and seatpost on my Lynskey.

    You'll need to get a compression plug for the fork. The Beartrap device is an eyesore on top of not working very well. You can call Easton and they'll send you a compression plug. Or get an FSA one (Profile and Reynolds don't fit).

    In my frame, the seatpost required more torque than usual to keep it from slipping. It also got scratched very easily. It's my first and probably last carbon fiber seatpost.

    I made the mistake of getting a Cane Creek headset after always having Chris Kings on my bikes. After a few weeks, a knock developed that I couldn't adjust out. The CC headset cups were very difficult to remove. I had to bang away at them for 2 hours even with the proper tools. I've never had that much difficulty removing headset cups.

    As for spacers, carbon fiber ones have never lined up flush with each other. I haven't had this problem with Al spacers. The solution is to just use one big spacer.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    44
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think your build is the perfect canadate for the new Ultegra sl,
    little lighter than the original, and it would look hot against the ti

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Latitude 42○13'44" Longitude 71○41'42" Elevation 223 ft.
    My Bikes
    2006 Merlin CR Works w/DA 10
    Posts
    925
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's what I did:

    Merlin CR 6/4 Works (same sale at Excel)
    EC70 stem
    EC90 seat post
    EC90 Equipe Pro bars (they are non-ergo)
    EC90 SLX fork
    Easton Orion II wheels
    Zero gravity SS brakes
    DA 10

    Oh - and Shimano Flight Deck
    Last edited by Markedoc; 06-03-07 at 12:16 PM.
    2006 Merlin Works CR 6/4 w/DA 10
    2004 Eddy Merckx MX Leader w/Ultegra 10

    2003 Litespeed Tuscany w/DA 10 - FOR SALE

  11. #11
    Senior Member Nessism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Torrance, CA
    My Bikes
    Homebuilt steel
    Posts
    2,324
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by unbelievably
    Easton EC90 bars have a shallow reach, IMO.
    If you were to go for Thompson seatpost, you could gain on the stem length.
    Never adjust reach to the bars via saddle position. Saddle position is set relative to the bottom bracket. Reach is set up after establishing proper saddle position.

    Regarding the crank, stay with Shimano. Shifting is flawless and crank arms don't fall off like FSA.
    Becareful buying/selling bike parts on-line. I learned the hard way. :(

    Good/Bad Trader Listing

  12. #12
    another cat...FAB! stevesurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    1st star to the right...
    My Bikes
    Merlin Ti Build, Trek Y-50, Bianchi Titanium Build, Custom Cuevas Road bike
    Posts
    1,469
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VT to CA
    Gruppo - Dura Ace everything- except the chain and crankset... FSA K-Force Light for the cranks and a SRAM pc991 hollowpin chain (missing-link easy on/off is invaluable)

    Headset - Standard, correct? One choice there- Chris King NoThreadSet

    Spacers - Whatever... keep the carbon thing going, I guess

    Seat - Veeery personal. Since you asked though- I like Specialized Toupes... Selle Italia SLK's are nice, although if I was in the market I'd probably try the SLC Kit Carbonio... or that SLR Kit Carbonio Flow...

    Tires - I'm a Vredestein man. I think they make the best riding clinchers, hands down... can't beat that 145 psi. Go with what I ride... Fortezza TriComps for training, Fortezza SL's for race days if you're not on tubulars.

    Tape - RavX Stitch tape. Or if you can't find that, it's better known as Stella Azzurra Eleganza (same company, same tape).

    Stem - I know you didn't request opinions here, but that ea50 isn't in the same league with the rest of your setup. If you want to keep the all-Easton thing rolling, go higher-end there... or if you'll venture into other brands, then I can't say enough good things about the Ritchey WCS 4-Axis...
    Great sdvice; will be looking to replace the EA50 with EC90, but I have Easton EC90 Equipe Pro Road Bar 2006 26mm and I have to have a 90mm stem that will fit the narrow diam bars.


    Quote Originally Posted by Squint
    I may have seen your frame the last time I was at Excel.

    I have the same handlebars, fork, and seatpost on my Lynskey.

    You'll need to get a compression plug for the fork. The Beartrap device is an eyesore on top of not working very well. You can call Easton and they'll send you a compression plug. Or get an FSA one (Profile and Reynolds don't fit).

    In my frame, the seatpost required more torque than usual to keep it from slipping. It also got scratched very easily. It's my first and probably last carbon fiber seatpost.

    I made the mistake of getting a Cane Creek headset after always having Chris Kings on my bikes. After a few weeks, a knock developed that I couldn't adjust out. The CC headset cups were very difficult to remove. I had to bang away at them for 2 hours even with the proper tools. I've never had that much difficulty removing headset cups.

    As for spacers, carbon fiber ones have never lined up flush with each other. I haven't had this problem with Al spacers. The solution is to just use one big spacer.
    More great advice - I was planning on Chris King; so no problems right? I'll call Easton for a compresion plug - thanks!


    Quote Originally Posted by w0lffian
    I think your build is the perfect canadate for the new Ultegra sl, little lighter than the original, and it would look hot against the ti
    I know, now it's between DA and Ultegra SL, but SL may not come out in time!
    Quote Originally Posted by Markedoc
    Here's what I did:

    Merlin CR 6/4 Works (same sale at Excel)
    EC70 stem
    EC90 seat post
    EC90 Equipe Pro bars (they are non-ergo)
    EC90 SLX fork
    Easton Orion II wheels
    Zero gravity SS brakes
    DA 10

    Oh - and Shimano Flight Deck
    Will try to get an EC90 stem, but may have to go to EC70. Mavic Ksyrium SL's are already purchased; although I've heard nice things about Easton Wheels, but then again, I'm glad I got Mavic's!

  13. #13
    Senior Member shabbasuraj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,570
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like that frame... but the decals on the seat tube and the seat stays are a little overkill.

    looking forward to some completed pics.

  14. #14
    Senior Member -VELOCITY-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    My Bikes
    Giant Revel 2 & Loco Fixie "The Marley"
    Posts
    1,921
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks magical.

  15. #15
    Senior Member unbelievably's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Under the Thumb
    Posts
    1,362
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nessism
    Never adjust reach to the bars via saddle position. Saddle position is set relative to the bottom bracket. Reach is set up after establishing proper saddle position.
    Hmm...
    The pleasures which we most rarely experience give us the greatest delight.

  16. #16
    Overacting because I can SpongeDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Mean Streets of Bethesda, MD
    My Bikes
    Merlin Agilis, Trek 1500
    Posts
    4,552
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Squint
    In my frame, the seatpost required more torque than usual to keep it from slipping. It also got scratched very easily. It's my first and probably last carbon fiber seatpost.
    Had same problem with my EC70 seatpost in my Merlin. Maybe it's just this post. I can't believe everyone else puts up with this.
    “Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm." (Churchill)

    "I am a courageous cyclist." (SpongeDad)

  17. #17
    base training heretic Squint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Denver, CO
    My Bikes
    Cervelo P3C, many Litespeeds
    Posts
    716
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpongeDad
    Had same problem with my EC70 seatpost in my Merlin. Maybe it's just this post. I can't believe everyone else puts up with this.
    It might be due to the non-round shape (the fore and aft relief areas) designed to resist crushing. Instead, we have to use more torque to keep the post from slipping which increases the risk of crushing the post...

  18. #18
    Faith-Vigilance-Service Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Port Orchard, WA
    My Bikes
    Trinity, Paradisus, Centurion, Mongoose, Trek
    Posts
    8,333
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gruppo- Campy

    Headset- Something Black

    Spacers- Something Black (carbon)

    Seat- Something Black. Whatever feels good on your bum.

    Tires- Something black.

    Tape- Again, something black.



    You got all those nice lightweight carbon bits, and then an alloy stem?

    There's something wrong with you.








    btw, beautiful frame.
    President, OCP
    --"Will you have some tea... at the theatre with me?"--

  19. #19
    Roman Killer VT to CA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,163
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patriot
    You got all those nice lightweight carbon bits, and then an alloy stem?
    In the land of ultralight stems, alloy is still king.
    All your bike are belong to us.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Latitude 42○13'44" Longitude 71○41'42" Elevation 223 ft.
    My Bikes
    2006 Merlin CR Works w/DA 10
    Posts
    925
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Squint

    In my frame, the seatpost required more torque than usual to keep it from slipping. It also got scratched very easily. It's my first and probably last carbon fiber seatpost.
    Did you use carbon paste?

    http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za...MODE=&TFC=TRUE
    2006 Merlin Works CR 6/4 w/DA 10
    2004 Eddy Merckx MX Leader w/Ultegra 10

    2003 Litespeed Tuscany w/DA 10 - FOR SALE

  21. #21
    another cat...FAB! stevesurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    1st star to the right...
    My Bikes
    Merlin Ti Build, Trek Y-50, Bianchi Titanium Build, Custom Cuevas Road bike
    Posts
    1,469
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update: I had ordered a EA70, not a EA50; I really don't see any reason to get a carbon stem, unless you folks tell me otherwise. I think a EA70 will work with the EC90 bars.

    I really would like to keep the parts interchangeable with the other build, so I'm leaning toward Ultegra, unless Ultegra SL comes out soon. Any updates on it?

    I tried out and like this crazy saddle:


  22. #22
    base training heretic Squint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Denver, CO
    My Bikes
    Cervelo P3C, many Litespeeds
    Posts
    716
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markedoc
    No, that's for people who don't have good torque wrenches.

  23. #23
    Roman Killer VT to CA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,163
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Squint
    It might be due to the non-round shape (the fore and aft relief areas) designed to resist crushing. Instead, we have to use more torque to keep the post from slipping which increases the risk of crushing the post...
    Non-round?... as in there's spaces between the seat tube and the post when it's installed?!
    All your bike are belong to us.

  24. #24
    Boosted Mr2 henria86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    Klein's Merlin's
    Posts
    232
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve..
    u need to get Velo Plugs.. there great for the weight weenie...an easy to install pops right in

  25. #25
    Village Idiot
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bahstaaaaan
    Posts
    19,992
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't Ultegra SL out now?

    Are you going to use it?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •