Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

User Tag List
jdeane4

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-13-14, 11:08 PM   #23951
zymphad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike
Posts: 1,778
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorC View Post
No reason. The frame isn't worth keeping it on, I like the idea of clean silver... might make a thief look at something else?
I've never been big into branding.
I feel the same way. I never buy any clothing that has large brand logos. The only thing I have that is clearly branded are my New Balance running shoes and that's tough to rectify since for me, they make the best minimal natural running form shoes.

If I'm going to be a moving billboard, I should be paid. My #1 reason for selling my Masi Partenza frame? Decals. I was so annoyed that I was a moving billboard for a company I don't even like. You can see MASI in huge lettering all tubes and fork, it's moronic. Masi owes me money for advertising their crappy bike all over Boston and Northshore.

Another irritating thing about SRAM is how large their branding is on the shifters. I think SRAM owes a few thousand $$$ to every SRAM rider out there. My 105 are lovely in that only those who can recognize bike parts know it's a Shimano 105 or that it's Shimano.

From a distance of more than 5 ft, you can't see any branding at all on my bike other than the wheels say RS11, which to an average person would mean absolutely nothing. I expletive expletive expletive expletive love that! I love that normal person wouldn't be able to judge how much my bike costs or how much I spent. And for the average person probably would not be at the top of their list to steal. No branding? I would be ecstatic if 99/100 person who didn't recognize or know the components of my bike and what frame I have thought it was garbage bike not worth stealing.

And lucky for me, even among avid cyclists, they probably think my bike is garbage because it doesn't have branding from Parlee/Guru or Wilier/Cervelo. Average person thinks it sucks and those who know bikes think it sucks? Sweet, I hope it never gets stolen.

Just saying, if I was a bike thief? I would do anything possible to steal as many Parlee bikes as I could. I'd spend $5K on some tool that can eat through bike locks super fast and steal every branded boutique bike as I could. Walk around with a helmet, carry my tool in one of the super lame bags hippies or metrosexuals use and bike shoes with a coffee mug in the other hand.

Last edited by zymphad; 04-13-14 at 11:19 PM.
zymphad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-14, 11:45 PM   #23952
BoSoxYacht
Banned
 
BoSoxYacht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it
Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS
Posts: 7,282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For the last 6 weeks I've been unable to ride due to being hit by a pickup truck. That destroyed my bike and nearly destroyed me. Thursday my doctors gave me the green light to resume cycling, but it's tough without a bike.

Today a buddy of mine sent me a photo of a bike he built for me out of spare parts.



It's good to have friends that buy old bikes, just because they were a great deal.
BoSoxYacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-14, 01:24 AM   #23953
zymphad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike
Posts: 1,778
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
That's really nice. New Bianchi steel don't use lugs anymore.
zymphad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-14, 07:57 AM   #23954
SpeshulEd
Super Moderator
 
SpeshulEd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Bikes:
Posts: 7,680
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zymphad View Post
I feel the same way. I never buy any clothing that has large brand logos. The only thing I have that is clearly branded are my New Balance running shoes and that's tough to rectify since for me, they make the best minimal natural running form shoes.

If I'm going to be a moving billboard, I should be paid. My #1 reason for selling my Masi Partenza frame? Decals. I was so annoyed that I was a moving billboard for a company I don't even like. You can see MASI in huge lettering all tubes and fork, it's moronic. Masi owes me money for advertising their crappy bike all over Boston and Northshore.

Another irritating thing about SRAM is how large their branding is on the shifters. I think SRAM owes a few thousand $$$ to every SRAM rider out there. My 105 are lovely in that only those who can recognize bike parts know it's a Shimano 105 or that it's Shimano.

From a distance of more than 5 ft, you can't see any branding at all on my bike other than the wheels say RS11, which to an average person would mean absolutely nothing. I expletive expletive expletive expletive love that! I love that normal person wouldn't be able to judge how much my bike costs or how much I spent. And for the average person probably would not be at the top of their list to steal. No branding? I would be ecstatic if 99/100 person who didn't recognize or know the components of my bike and what frame I have thought it was garbage bike not worth stealing.

And lucky for me, even among avid cyclists, they probably think my bike is garbage because it doesn't have branding from Parlee/Guru or Wilier/Cervelo. Average person thinks it sucks and those who know bikes think it sucks? Sweet, I hope it never gets stolen.

Just saying, if I was a bike thief? I would do anything possible to steal as many Parlee bikes as I could. I'd spend $5K on some tool that can eat through bike locks super fast and steal every branded boutique bike as I could. Walk around with a helmet, carry my tool in one of the super lame bags hippies or metrosexuals use and bike shoes with a coffee mug in the other hand.
You're crazy and who the hell leaves an expensive road bike of any brand in a bike rack? I don't even own a lock for my bikes. I have no reason to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSoxYacht View Post
For the last 6 weeks I've been unable to ride due to being hit by a pickup truck. That destroyed my bike and nearly destroyed me. Thursday my doctors gave me the green light to resume cycling, but it's tough without a bike.

Today a buddy of mine sent me a photo of a bike he built for me out of spare parts.



It's good to have friends that buy old bikes, just because they were a great deal.
Aww, hell yeah! It even looks like it will fit you perfectly!
__________________
Hey guys, lets go play bikes! Strava

SpeshulEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-14, 09:08 AM   #23955
BoSoxYacht
Banned
 
BoSoxYacht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it
Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS
Posts: 7,282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd View Post
Aww, hell yeah! It even looks like it will fit you perfectly!
I see this bike getting some gears again in the future.

The brakes and crankset appear to be Chorus, San Marco saddle, and the tubing is Columbus. I'm guessing it's from about 1991, and those rims also look like Campagnolo. I'll know better after we have lunch today.

I wonder if Clark will feel like getting rid of some of his used Campagnolo. He's got a grip of it just sitting in random spots in his garage. You really wouldn't believe how much NOS stuff he has. It's really insane.
BoSoxYacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-14, 09:26 AM   #23956
zymphad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike
Posts: 1,778
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdr View Post
Looks like it's wearing naughty lingerie. I didn't know Adam & Eve had a cycling department.
You're right. It does look like a sweaty stripper thong bike.
zymphad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-14, 02:49 PM   #23957
SpeshulEd
Super Moderator
 
SpeshulEd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Bikes:
Posts: 7,680
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSoxYacht View Post
I see this bike getting some gears again in the future.

The brakes and crankset appear to be Chorus, San Marco saddle, and the tubing is Columbus. I'm guessing it's from about 1991, and those rims also look like Campagnolo. I'll know better after we have lunch today.

I wonder if Clark will feel like getting rid of some of his used Campagnolo. He's got a grip of it just sitting in random spots in his garage. You really wouldn't believe how much NOS stuff he has. It's really insane.
I don't know Clark that well, but the little I do know him, that doesn't surprise me at all.
__________________
Hey guys, lets go play bikes! Strava

SpeshulEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-14, 06:34 PM   #23958
cmdr
Don't call me sir
 
cmdr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Bikes: 1954 Holdsworth 3 speed, 1969 Bob Jackson, 1988 Miyata Twelve Hundred (retired), 1989 Schwinn Paramount, 2004 Santa Cruz Blur Classic, 2012 Specialized P3, 2013 Specialized Roubaix Expert Disc
Posts: 615
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinus View Post
Very nice.
cmdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-14, 06:43 PM   #23959
bres dad
Senior Member
 
bres dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Indiana
Bikes: '84 Paramount, '89 Schwinn 754, '13 Specialized RockHopper, Trek Domane 4.3
Posts: 350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinus View Post
very cool... what is it? (besides a bike)
bres dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-14, 07:09 PM   #23960
staleygreg
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just picked it up a couple weeks ago. Got it all dialed in and ready to go now! current weight 16.0 lbs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10250737_10152077941357852_2123243720_n.jpg (86.7 KB, 165 views)
staleygreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-14, 08:03 PM   #23961
BoSoxYacht
Banned
 
BoSoxYacht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it
Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS
Posts: 7,282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd View Post
I don't know Clark that well, but the little I do know him, that doesn't surprise me at all.
It's a little insane what he has stashed away. Cobolto brakes, C-Record cranks, Sheriff Star hubs, Pista pedals... All NOS. It just goes on and on.
BoSoxYacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-14, 08:55 PM   #23962
zymphad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike
Posts: 1,778
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bres dad View Post
very cool... what is it? (besides a bike)
He says it's a 90s Bianchi cromoly with Reynolds Assault rims.
zymphad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-14, 01:18 AM   #23963
martinus
Senior Member
 
martinus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 939
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zymphad View Post
He says it's a 90s Bianchi cromoly with Reynolds Assault rims.

Yup... got used in HS. It was biopace, 300ex, DT shift, quil stem ... little brother barrowed it, lost the "front end". I got it back, it was on life support, for a while. Now, MEGA EXO, 6600, carbon clincher. ( Smokin deal on wheelset, hanging in LBS, since its the *old* "knife edge" design vs. new "fatty" ones. )

Newest upgrade: Replace overly "chunky" cane creek S2 headset, in above mentioned pic... and pulled the head badge of my other bianchi, to stick on this one.



built a wheelset, 16H Mavic Cosmics, laced to 32H Shim hubs ... O.O ... : o)


Last edited by martinus; 04-15-14 at 01:32 AM.
martinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-14, 05:47 AM   #23964
Gege-Bubu
Senior Member
 
Gege-Bubu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Here is my new bike.




Built with lots of help from mechanics forum. I had to ask many questions, something very simple, like what headset does it take or in what order I put together all the parts.

Not finished yet, awaiting Retul, then I will trim the cables, housings and add bar tape. But it is ride-able. It was fun to build and even more fun to ride. I was able to ride it once only, today we have snow in Central Ohio.
Gege-Bubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-14, 04:42 PM   #23965
gc3 
Falls Downalot
 
gc3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: DC
Bikes: Now I Got Two
Posts: 3,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Nice work building this one yourself...
__________________
"I tried being reasonable, I didn‘t like it."
"I understand. I just don't care"
"I don't give a f*ck" if they remember me at all" (F. Zappa)
gc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-14, 10:38 PM   #23966
zymphad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike
Posts: 1,778
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gege-Bubu View Post
Built with lots of help from mechanics forum. I had to ask many questions, something very simple, like what headset does it take or in what order I put together all the parts.
Props to you for building it. Sure is fun isn't fun?
zymphad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-14, 01:18 PM   #23967
Frankgt2
Senior Member
 
Frankgt2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Bikes: Giant TCR
Posts: 171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm currently upgrading components slowly. Bike was mounted in January
Frankgt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-14, 09:45 PM   #23968
Sky83vang
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Fresno, Ca
Bikes: Unknown year - Schwinn Continental
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just picked up a Schwinn Continental, 10sp, brownish color model.....I'm not sure what year it is. It's my first roadie transferring from Mountain bike. I just think roadie are more efficiency and much quicker than mt to commute.
Sky83vang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-14, 09:13 PM   #23969
kahughey
Senior Member
 
kahughey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes: 2014 Fuji Sportif
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2001 Trek 1000
kahughey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-14, 06:05 PM   #23970
pseghesio
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Healdsburg, CA
Bikes: Trek Domane 2.0
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just recently got into cycling and purchased this '14 Trek Domane 2.0. I've ridden around 200 miles on it, and it's treating me very well thus far. Put some shimano A530 spd pedals on it cause I ride to school a lot, and its nice not having to clip in every time I need to ride.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trek Domane 2.0.jpg (100.3 KB, 936 views)
pseghesio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-14, 09:59 PM   #23971
2702
Senior Member
 
2702's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bikes: 16 Haibike Sdruo Cross SM
Posts: 823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
2013 Trek Madone 2.1. Aluminum frame
Feels pretty much the same to me as carbon bikes, I've had carbon bikes before and for this average rider getting some sun and some miles here and there this is just fine. I probably will never buy carbon again.

Last edited by 2702; 04-23-14 at 05:01 PM.
2702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-14, 08:08 AM   #23972
timmbo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 6.9ssl (brand new 12/30/15)
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2702 View Post
2013 Trek Madone 2.1. Aluminum frame
Feels pretty much the same to me as carbon bikes, I've had carbon bikes before and for this average rider getting some sun and some miles here and there this is just fine. I probably will never buy carbon again.
I love my 2.1, super smooth yet responsive, best upgrade was new tires and Bontrager RL wheels, that made a difference along with a saddle more suited for me.
timmbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 06:28 PM   #23973
JustAR1der
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I swear, you guys are trying to make me jealous.
JustAR1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-14, 06:23 PM   #23974
Panza
Keep calm, Cycle on
 
Panza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: New England
Bikes: Bianchi ∞, Colnago SS, Ridley CX
Posts: 606
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)


Here's a picture of the Bianchi Infinito, it's being worked on at the moment... frame and rear derailleur were damaged. Should be replaced and up-and-running soon.
My bike stand was made out of spare parts I had lying around the house from a shelf.
Panza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-14, 09:40 PM   #23975
zymphad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike
Posts: 1,778
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I would get rid of the reflectors and get some lights instead. Though I think you posted you commute a bit, so probably is on your list to do already.
zymphad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:30 AM.