Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-14-14, 09:44 PM   #24326
gravyleg
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by therh View Post
I just switched to the same tires. How do you like them?
No complaints so far. Much better than the stockers.
gravyleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-14, 12:53 PM   #24327
kflagg 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Florida Gulf Coast
Bikes: 1967 Carlton team/1999 Serotta Atlanta / 2012 Breezer Venturi / 2010 Trek District
Posts: 379
1967 Carlton Team and just picked up a nice 2011 BMC SR02 for a great price.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00900.jpg (86.3 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00901.jpg (77.1 KB, 31 views)
kflagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-14, 03:03 PM   #24328
djrhys
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Braintree, Essex
Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso LTD 2002
Posts: 13

This is my Viking Jetstream.. I'm a beginner cyclist as you can see.. I've done some upgrades on it... (changed the crankset to a stronger lighter miranda one & plastic/carbon bottle cages) some changes arn't in the photo but i also have Clipless pedals, taken off wheel reflectors, fitted new brake/gear shifters, taken off the front and back reflectors, fitted new brake pads... Looking to upgrade my bike bit by bit and eventually get a new frame or whole new bike!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RKA_0040.jpg (103.9 KB, 85 views)
djrhys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-14, 03:04 PM   #24329
djrhys
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Braintree, Essex
Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso LTD 2002
Posts: 13
very nice kit!
djrhys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-14, 08:43 AM   #24330
MiguePropelSL
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 15
Some updated pics with better scenery..


I forget to say i'm from Rep. of Panama (central America)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg prop10.jpg (99.4 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg prop11.jpg (99.8 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg prop12.jpg (96.1 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg prop13.jpg (96.9 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg prop14.jpg (84.7 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg prop15.jpg (99.3 KB, 97 views)

Last edited by MiguePropelSL; 08-18-14 at 08:47 AM.
MiguePropelSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-14, 11:38 AM   #24331
shallow_
Junior Member
 
shallow_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Norway
Bikes: Cannondale Synapse
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiguePropelSL View Post
Some updated pics with better scenery..


I forget to say i'm from Rep. of Panama (central America)
Very sexy bike man
shallow_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-14, 12:00 PM   #24332
MiguePropelSL
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by shallow_ View Post
Very sexy bike man
Tks bro!
MiguePropelSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-14, 02:49 PM   #24333
shallow_
Junior Member
 
shallow_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Norway
Bikes: Cannondale Synapse
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiguePropelSL View Post
Tks bro!
I need to get a second matching bottle Cage (Yours fit the bike perfectly), I like the one I have which I got included with the bike, now I just need to find a 2nd for a reasonable price. A BBB Carbon Light Cage.

And Im in the process of acquiring some more kits, ofcourse branded and colored to match. Would never have thought Id ever buy clothes with green on em, but thats the hand (color) I've been dealt

Last edited by shallow_; 08-18-14 at 03:18 PM.
shallow_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-14, 03:55 PM   #24334
Greybeard712
Author Guy
 
Greybeard712's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Sparks, NV
Bikes: 2014 Performer JC-70 Recumbent Trike, 2011 Roubaix SL3 Expert, 2005 Specialized Allez Sport, 2011 Specialized Sirrus Sport
Posts: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipndale9 View Post
Am I correct in assuming that you feel faster on your Allez than Roubaix?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybeard712 View Post
Not sure about that. I've only had the Roubaix a few days. The Allez is more compact, but heavier (aluminum vs carbon fiber), and I'm more used to it (triple vs double). Still getting the feel of the Roubaix...

UPDATE: I've had the Roubaix for 6 weeks now and have put 480 miles on it. I love this bike!
However, comparing the Allez to the Roubaix:
Allez: Triple 32/42/52 — 12-27 9spd — Tiagra group w/105 rear derailleur — A1 Aluminum w/Fact carbon fork — Mavic 28/24 wheels — Panaracer 23C tires — underseat bag w/flat kit w/CO2, coiled cable lock, cell phone — approx 22lbs.
Roubaix: Double 34/50 — 11-28 10spd — Ultegra group — 10R Carbon Fiber — Fulcrum 24/20 wheels — Pro II 23/25C tires — underseat bag same goodies — approx 19lbs.

Allez in mid chain ring (42T) and 5th (15T) — Roubaix 50T and 3rd (21T) they are very similar in the effort it takes to push the bike(s), altho the Allez gets easier quicker.
Allez in big chain ring (52T) and 5th (15T) — Roubaix 50T and 5th (17T) the Allez is easier and faster to get up to 15-18mpg. It shouldn't be, something is amiss. I'm wondering if there's drag in the crank from the Roubaix having sat in a garage for 2 years. Could the bearing grease stiffen up enough to cause that? It had less than 100 miles on it (total) when I got it.



Jan -216…..Apr -207…...Jul - 645…..Just Ride Baby!
Feb - 87…...May - 440…..Aug - 297
Mar -145…..Jun - 484…..2014: 2521 Miles
Greybeard712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-14, 04:12 PM   #24335
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Bikes: See my sig...
Posts: 27,248
Sixty Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-14, 06:56 AM   #24336
MiguePropelSL
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by shallow_ View Post
I need to get a second matching bottle Cage (Yours fit the bike perfectly), I like the one I have which I got included with the bike, now I just need to find a 2nd for a reasonable price. A BBB Carbon Light Cage.

And Im in the process of acquiring some more kits, ofcourse branded and colored to match. Would never have thought Id ever buy clothes with green on em, but thats the hand (color) I've been dealt

Yes I have there the Elite Custom Race cage... love the black on black look....
MiguePropelSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-14, 05:33 AM   #24337
Zerwas
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Minnesota
Bikes: 2013 Trek Domane 6.2 Project 1, 2012 Trek 7.3 FX bike, 2010 Trek 7500 FX
Posts: 5
2014 Cannondale Synapse 6:


2013 Trek Domane 6.2 Project 1 bike:


I picked up the Cannondale in early July 2014. Loved the comfort of this bike.
I was talked into buying the Trek from the LBS about 3 weeks later (from my brother). The Trek was a clearance bike and I did get a very good deal on it, but I'm kind or regretting the decision now. I'm not sure that it was worth the extra money for the Trek vs the Cannondale. Both bikes are outstanding in the comfort department. The LBS changed out the 23mm tires on the Trek for tubeless ready 25mm R3's. Add on another $200.00 in "free" accessories and I was happy with the purchase.
I currently have the Cannondale for sale on a local Craigslist pages, but I'm not so sure, I'd rather sell the Trek instead.
I know I sound odd by bouncing back and forth like this (and I would say the same thing if I were reading this too). It is just one of those things I guess....
I was coming from a 1990 model Schwinn Traveler (Made in Chicago, IL), and a 2011 Trek 7500 FX bike.
Anyway, how about that for a 1st post?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140710_201846_resized.jpg (102.9 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg 20140729_095425_resized.jpg (105.4 KB, 136 views)
Zerwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-14, 08:07 AM   #24338
Afdica
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerwas View Post
2014 Cannondale Synapse 6:


2013 Trek Domane 6.2 Project 1 bike:


I picked up the Cannondale in early July 2014. Loved the comfort of this bike.
I was talked into buying the Trek from the LBS about 3 weeks later (from my brother). The Trek was a clearance bike and I did get a very good deal on it, but I'm kind or regretting the decision now. I'm not sure that it was worth the extra money for the Trek vs the Cannondale. Both bikes are outstanding in the comfort department. The LBS changed out the 23mm tires on the Trek for tubeless ready 25mm R3's. Add on another $200.00 in "free" accessories and I was happy with the purchase.
I currently have the Cannondale for sale on a local Craigslist pages, but I'm not so sure, I'd rather sell the Trek instead.
I know I sound odd by bouncing back and forth like this (and I would say the same thing if I were reading this too). It is just one of those things I guess....
I was coming from a 1990 model Schwinn Traveler (Made in Chicago, IL), and a 2011 Trek 7500 FX bike.
Anyway, how about that for a 1st post?
Keep the one you go to every time you want to go for a ride. I'm guessing it's the Cannondale. If that's the case then you should not have any problems getting your money back from the sale of the Trek since you got such a good deal. The bottom line is keep the bike that will want to make you ride more often.
Afdica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-14, 03:09 PM   #24339
shallow_
Junior Member
 
shallow_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Norway
Bikes: Cannondale Synapse
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerwas View Post
2014 Cannondale Synapse 6:


I picked up the Cannondale in early July 2014. Loved the comfort of this bike.
Another Synapse.. Nice

Just got a bunch of Cannondale clothing from Amazon today, need to match the bike when we're out riding right ?
shallow_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-14, 05:55 PM   #24340
jacoder
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 2
Bianchi Infinito CV 2014

jacoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-14, 07:35 PM   #24341
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL
 
1nterceptor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NEW YORK, NY - USA
Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X
Posts: 3,741
Picked up my 2014 BMC GF02 a few weeks ago.
Ordered the 105 equipped model for the color.
Swapped out most of the components to Ultegra
and also used the DT Swiss wheels from my old Scott:

2014 BMC GF02 by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
1nterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-14, 07:32 PM   #24342
NumbersGuy
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Long Island, NY
Bikes: Specialized CrossTrail Sport Disc, Boardman Elite SLS 9.2
Posts: 26
Just got my Boardman Elite SLS 9.2 today. It's dark out so first ride will be tomorrow morning. It's my first road bike so I'm looking forward to the experience and continuing to progress my riding. I wasn't really a fan of the yellow but the bike is everything I wanted and I'm starting to warm up to the yellow highlights. What do you guys think?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0559.jpg (97.0 KB, 147 views)
NumbersGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-14, 08:07 AM   #24343
shallow_
Junior Member
 
shallow_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Norway
Bikes: Cannondale Synapse
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumbersGuy View Post
Just got my Boardman Elite SLS 9.2 today. It's dark out so first ride will be tomorrow morning. It's my first road bike so I'm looking forward to the experience and continuing to progress my riding. I wasn't really a fan of the yellow but the bike is everything I wanted and I'm starting to warm up to the yellow highlights. What do you guys think?

I found that you cannot always choose freely what colors you get, so just go with it

Atleast any yellow jacket or vest will match

Congrats on your first roadbike, got my first 2 weeks ago and am loving every minute of it. The change from a 'heavy' MTB was much bigger than I had ever thought.
shallow_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-14, 11:45 AM   #24344
NumbersGuy
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Long Island, NY
Bikes: Specialized CrossTrail Sport Disc, Boardman Elite SLS 9.2
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by shallow_ View Post
I found that you cannot always choose freely what colors you get, so just go with it

Atleast any yellow jacket or vest will match

Congrats on your first roadbike, got my first 2 weeks ago and am loving every minute of it. The change from a 'heavy' MTB was much bigger than I had ever thought.
Yep, can't always get the exact color scheme you'd like on the bike you really want. I decided that I'd learn to like the color, and that getting the bike that just felt right to me was most important. I was thinking the same thing, that yellow is a pretty appropriate color for on a bike. The more I look at it, the more I like it.

I have been riding a hybrid that weighed in around 34 lbs ready to ride, this one is about 18 so the weight is almost cut in half. I'm just loving the smoothness of it, the shifting is great with more and closer gear ratios is my normal pedaling range. It just wants to go, with the biggest difference on hills, where I certainly feel like I'm not working nearly as hard and maintain more speed. I'm super happy to have gotten a road bike as well.
NumbersGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-14, 02:36 PM   #24345
shallow_
Junior Member
 
shallow_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Norway
Bikes: Cannondale Synapse
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumbersGuy View Post
Yep, can't always get the exact color scheme you'd like on the bike you really want. I decided that I'd learn to like the color, and that getting the bike that just felt right to me was most important. I was thinking the same thing, that yellow is a pretty appropriate color for on a bike. The more I look at it, the more I like it.

I have been riding a hybrid that weighed in around 34 lbs ready to ride, this one is about 18 so the weight is almost cut in half. I'm just loving the smoothness of it, the shifting is great with more and closer gear ratios is my normal pedaling range. It just wants to go, with the biggest difference on hills, where I certainly feel like I'm not working nearly as hard and maintain more speed. I'm super happy to have gotten a road bike as well.
Ive gone from about 31 to 17.5 lbs so know exactly what you mean.

More shops (here atleast) should advertise and demo roadbikes to get ppl hooked.

Had a friend over from US for 3 weeks this summer and as we were riding MTB's he kept bitc*ing about how much easier it would have been on a road bike.. 'Yeah right' I kept thinking..

And regarding colors, before setteling on this one, I was looking at 2 Felt AR4's, a 2012 and a 2013, and the one I liked the color on had mixed groupset, and the one with complete Ultegra I didnt like the color on. Would always favor equipment over color though.
shallow_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-14, 04:16 PM   #24346
Kayotee
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 30
Like others, I feel small posting my humble bike here among so many beauties.

Below is my 1991 Trek 1400. It was a hand me down from my father in law after my old KHS Flite was stolen. It was ridden to near literal death, as almost every part was completely rusted through after 20 years of riding along The Strand in LA. I replaced every component except for the original 105 rear dr, brakes, headset and frame. I originally built it up as a budget build as I didn't expect to keep it for too long, but the more I ride it, the more I don't see any advantages to upgrading! The growth on the stem is a mount for my smartphone as a cyclo-computer.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Optimized-P8230638.jpg (103.7 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg Optimized-P8230641.jpg (103.4 KB, 362 views)
File Type: jpg Optimized-P8230645.jpg (104.9 KB, 69 views)
Kayotee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-14, 04:35 PM   #24347
NumbersGuy
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Long Island, NY
Bikes: Specialized CrossTrail Sport Disc, Boardman Elite SLS 9.2
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayotee View Post
Like others, I feel small posting my humble bike here among so many beauties.

Below is my 1991 Trek 1400. It was a hand me down from my father in law after my old KHS Flite was stolen. It was ridden to near literal death, as almost every part was completely rusted through after 20 years of riding along The Strand in LA. I replaced every component except for the original 105 rear dr, brakes, headset and frame. I originally built it up as a budget build as I didn't expect to keep it for too long, but the more I ride it, the more I don't see any advantages to upgrading! The growth on the stem is a mount for my smartphone as a cyclo-computer.
It's red and black, that always looks good. It may not be new or fancy but that's a nice looking bike and if you're comfy and happy riding it, that's all that matters. I hope my new bike is still rolling along under me 23 years from now.

Last edited by NumbersGuy; 08-24-14 at 04:59 PM.
NumbersGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-14, 11:27 PM   #24348
CarstenDoc
Junior Member
 
CarstenDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Bikes: Giants tcr - 2 pieces
Posts: 15
Hey everybody.
Got two bikes: Giants, one tcr composite 3 (year 2011) and my new one: trc composite 0 (year 2013): its two beautiful bikes and I love the Shimano ultra Di2:-)
xx
Carsten
CarstenDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-14, 04:24 PM   #24349
Fastfwd01
Senior Member
 
Fastfwd01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Oklahoma City
Bikes: 2015 Cervelo R5 Dura Ace, 2015 Cannondale Synapse 5 Disc 105, 2006 Cannondale F300
Posts: 332
Picked up my 2015 Cannondale Synapse 5 Disc 105 yesterday.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015 Cannondale Synapse 5 Disc 105-0012 forum edit.jpg (107.1 KB, 243 views)
Fastfwd01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-14, 04:39 PM   #24350
klmmicro
Senior Member
 
klmmicro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: San Diego
Bikes: 2007 GT Avalanche 2.0, 2011 Felt Z85
Posts: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastfwd01 View Post
Picked up my 2015 Cannondale Synapse 5 Disc 105 yesterday.

This sort of porn should be banned! What an awesome looking machine you have. Congratulations!
klmmicro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:46 AM.