Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Question on Giant bikes sizing

    Hello all,

    I of course mean the manufacturer, not massive bikes! I'm looking at buying a Giant fcr 1 or gt gtr 4 online (as i can get a good deal) but there's nowhere nearby that i can try one out for size.. If anyone has any suggestions what frame size (i know they have a compact frame) i should be looking at i'd be very thankful. I'm almost exactly 6 foot tall.

    Thanks very much!

    ralph

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,251
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Giant makes lots of different bikes, with lots of different fits. Buying one without a test ride is a bit like buying a lottery ticket. A $800 bike from a dealer in your neighborhood that fits you like a glove is a bargain. A $400 E-Bay bike that does not fit you is a very expensive bike.

  3. #3
    Senior Member JonnyV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Bellwood, Pa
    My Bikes
    2012 Fuji Altamira 1.0
    Posts
    1,594
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 5'10.5". My OCR3 is a large, just a hair too big for me. My OCR elite is a medium and fits like a glove. I think their newer models also come in M/L and so on in those half sizes, I could be wrong though. But definitely ride them 1st.
    Some people are just like Slinky's. Not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

    2012 Fuji Altamira 1.0

  4. #4
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,336
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Hello all,

    I of course mean the manufacturer, not massive bikes! I'm looking at buying a Giant fcr 1 or gt gtr 4 online (as i can get a good deal) but there's nowhere nearby that i can try one out for size.. If anyone has any suggestions what frame size (i know they have a compact frame) i should be looking at i'd be very thankful.
    I'm almost exactly 6 foot tall.

    Thanks very much!

    ralph
    get a ML. a L will be too big.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    10,396
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the Giant web site has a size chart based on rider height. I wouldn't trust it, though. Different people with the same height may have different arm and leg lengths and thus need different sized bikes. My advice, especially for newbies, is to buy what your local bike shop carries. Good fit is way more important than any other bike feature.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    382
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Hello all,

    I of course mean the manufacturer, not massive bikes! I'm looking at buying a Giant fcr 1 or gt gtr 4 online (as i can get a good deal) but there's nowhere nearby that i can try one out for size.. If anyone has any suggestions what frame size (i know they have a compact frame) i should be looking at i'd be very thankful. I'm almost exactly 6 foot tall.

    Thanks very much!

    ralph
    I am exactly 6' tall and Giant's large frame fits me perfectly.

  7. #7
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,336
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sd790 View Post
    I am exactly 6' tall and Giant's large frame fits me perfectly.
    how long have you been riding?

  8. #8
    Senior Member rugerben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,509
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am 5'11.5", so we are probably about the same height. I wear a size 34 pants length, so now you know approx. how long my legs are. I tried out a Giant TCR2 the other day in an M/L frame. It was the tiniest shred of a hair on the small side. But I think it could have been fixed merely by raising the seatpost, so I'm not sure. Either way, I'm looking into a TCR C3 for next summer, and I will either be going with a L or M/L frame depending on which I like more. I'd guess the L though.
    MOLON LABE

  9. #9
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,336
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rugerben View Post
    I am 5'11.5", so we are probably about the same height. I wear a size 34 pants length, so now you know approx. how long my legs are. I tried out a Giant TCR2 the other day in an M/L frame. It was the tiniest shred of a hair on the small side. But I think it could have been fixed merely by raising the seatpost, so I'm not sure. Either way, I'm looking into a TCR C3 for next summer, and I will either be going with a L or M/L frame depending on which I like more. I'd guess the L though.
    a L will be too big.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    156
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I'm looking at buying ... online... but there's nowhere nearby that i can try one out for size.
    Echoing what others have said... I wouldn't buy without trying somehow, somewhere. I'm not the most experienced person out here. My opinion was formed by test riding lots of bikes before buying. Don't see how you could ensure a good fit just from basic measurements. Maybe with a lot of detailed measurements, but even then, different people have different flexibility, etc. There's no substitute for test rides.

  11. #11
    pan y agua merlinextraligh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville
    My Bikes
    Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er
    Posts
    27,363
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botto View Post
    get a ML. a L will be too big.
    +1. I'm 6'1" and fit on a M/L. Of course you need to consider your body type, i.e. how much of your height is in your legs. I have a relatively long inseam for my height, so an M\L with very little seat mast cut was the perfect fit.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •