Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Road Cycling It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle. -- Ernest Hemingway

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-18-08, 08:03 PM   #1
marqueemoon
or tarckeemoon, depending
Thread Starter
 
marqueemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: the pesto of cities
Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer
Posts: 7,020
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ambrosio Excellence? DT Swiss RR 1.1?

Anybody running either of these rims? How do you like them? Got pics of your wheels?
marqueemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-08, 08:12 PM   #2
BananaTugger
CPM M4
 
BananaTugger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The West Side (Of Rochester, NY).
Bikes: Light.
Posts: 4,930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ambrosio makes some badass gear. the Excellence rims are very similar to the Cronos in stiffness. They are just a little deeper and more... clincher-y is all.

DT's are also pretty stiff and likely more durable, especially if the double eyeleted version is used. Of course the RR1.1's weigh a fair bit more than the Excellence rims do.
__________________
Ten tenths.
BananaTugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-08, 08:37 PM   #3
marqueemoon
or tarckeemoon, depending
Thread Starter
 
marqueemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: the pesto of cities
Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer
Posts: 7,020
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaTugger View Post
Ambrosio makes some badass gear. the Excellence rims are very similar to the Cronos in stiffness. They are just a little deeper and more... clincher-y is all.

DT's are also pretty stiff and likely more durable, especially if the double eyeleted version is used. Of course the RR1.1's weigh a fair bit more than the Excellence rims do.
Yeah. The 1.1s are $20 a pop more than the Ambrosios, but they look pretty strong.

This is for my beater/lockup road bike so I want a good combo of stout and cost effective.
marqueemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-08, 08:41 PM   #4
BananaTugger
CPM M4
 
BananaTugger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The West Side (Of Rochester, NY).
Bikes: Light.
Posts: 4,930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marqueemoon View Post
Yeah. The 1.1s are $20 a pop more than the Ambrosios, but they look pretty strong.

This is for my beater/lockup road bike so I want a good combo of stout and cost effective.
You may consider going with the old standby: the Mavic Open Pro.

A pair of Open Pro Silvers can be had for $120 USD.
__________________
Ten tenths.
BananaTugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-08, 10:22 PM   #5
Soil_Sampler
A little North of Hell
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 4,821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
The weights of both double eyeleted rims are similar.
Depending on were you buy them, price can be too.
http://www.ambrosiospa.com/catalog_e...pper&Itemid=57
http://www.dtswiss.com/Products/Comp...s/RR-rims.aspx
http://www.ital-tecno.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=33
Soil_Sampler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-08, 10:30 PM   #6
euphoria
Senior Member
 
euphoria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Dallas
Bikes:
Posts: 1,531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a DT1.1 (single-eyelet) rear on an AC hub and I'd never use it as a daily beater, but I'm an ox to my wheels

nothing special IMO
euphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-08, 07:00 AM   #7
BananaTugger
CPM M4
 
BananaTugger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The West Side (Of Rochester, NY).
Bikes: Light.
Posts: 4,930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoria View Post
I have a DT1.1 (single-eyelet) rear on an AC hub and I'd never use it as a daily beater, but I'm an ox to my wheels

nothing special IMO
That was DT's intent.
__________________
Ten tenths.
BananaTugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-08, 07:18 AM   #8
redfooj
pluralis majestatis
 
redfooj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: you rope
Bikes: 20 W/st.
Posts: 3,428
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
i have a pair of ambrosio excellence, branded as "colnago". theyre laced 3x rear and radial front with sapim spokes. i cant make a comparative judgement on whether theyre stiffer or anything (not sure how one can be so sensitive to perceive that, anyway) - but i can say they havent ever needed truing
redfooj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-08, 07:27 AM   #9
BananaTugger
CPM M4
 
BananaTugger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The West Side (Of Rochester, NY).
Bikes: Light.
Posts: 4,930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfooj View Post
i have a pair of ambrosio excellence, branded as "colnago". theyre laced 3x rear and radial front with sapim spokes. i cant make a comparative judgement on whether theyre stiffer or anything (not sure how one can be so sensitive to perceive that, anyway) - but i can say they havent ever needed truing
Pick the rim up and twist it.

Conversely, you can also ride a bike with the rims built up into a wheelset.
__________________
Ten tenths.
BananaTugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:16 AM.