Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Senior Member nebrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Scottsbluff, Nebraska
    Posts
    267
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Is this possible?

    I like my "vintage" steel frame bike too much to buy a new one, and I am looking to convert to STI brifters instead of my downtube shifters. I have a Centurion Lemans RS 6speed cassette. Is this a silly thing to do? expected price?

  2. #2
    I like my car ShadowGray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    1,628
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen it done on here before, the cables are rerouted through some kind of bridge where the downtube shifters would be and then up to the shifters.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    Drexel University 2012
    Electrical Engineering

  3. #3
    Senior Member nebrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Scottsbluff, Nebraska
    Posts
    267
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh and a website/phone number to where i could get the parts. or just a list of the parts

  4. #4
    Senior Member Homebrew01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ffld Cnty Connecticut
    My Bikes
    Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales
    Posts
    16,001
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nebrider View Post
    oh and a website/phone number to where i could get the parts. or just a list of the parts
    ebay.com

    If you go to brifters, I think you will need a compatible rear wheel with cassette. If you want older used 8 speed, you need an 8 speed brifter & 8 speed rear wheel. Or 9 speed brifter & 9 speed wheel .... I don't think a brifter will work with your existing wheel because the freewheel spacing does not match the spacing of the indexes in the brifter.

    You need to narrow down what you want, then ask more specific questions.
    Bikes: Old steel race bikes, old Cannondale race bikes, less old Cannondale race bike, crappy old mtn bike

  5. #5
    Senior Member nebrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Scottsbluff, Nebraska
    Posts
    267
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright... Will a 8 or 9 speed cassette replace my 6 speed? im willing to change my rear derailleur and chain. I'm looking for Shimano it doesnt really matter if it is Sora or Tiagra or 105, any of those would be an upgrade to my current setup

  6. #6
    Senior Member ericm979's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Santa Cruz Mountains
    Posts
    6,170
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html for hub info. If you have a 6sp Uniglide then you will need to do some machining or filing, or buy a new rear wheel.

    Franky, the Centurion wasn't all that great a frame back in the day. If you like it for sentimental value, fine, but considering the number of parts you'll need to change to get close to modern, it may be cheaper to buy a new bike. Depends on your scavenging skills.

  7. #7
    Quantum Mesa Cycles McTufferton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    840
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 'old man' rides a 1983 steel frame Terranaut that he considered replacing last year. Instead of spending $4k on a new bike, he stuck with what he liked and knew fit him perfectly.

    He upgraded every component on the bike to Ultegra. Downtube shifters to brifters, cassette, crank, brakes, hubs, wheels, pedals... everything. He says it's like a brand new bike, and regrets not doing it earlier.

    He spent $1300 total, including install. Check out PBK for component group in your price range.
    "Jens Voigt is unable to use the internet because he's always dropping his connection"
    -jensvoigtfacts.com

    "MAKE IT HURT" -Me

  8. #8
    Senior Member Old School's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Marin County, CA
    My Bikes
    '96 Trek 5500 OCLV, '05 Trek 6500 SLR
    Posts
    1,152
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, that frame was fairly entry level in the Centurion lineup and is not worth the upgrade to brifters in my opinion.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!"

  9. #9
    Village Idiot
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bahstaaaaan
    Posts
    19,989
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's my conversion. A 1984 trek 760 that had downtube shifters to a campy brifter setup. (This ones for you acorn )



    For a parts list, you'll need shifters, RD, chain, cassette, and wheelset. You might be able to make do with the FD and crank. I'd try it first that way before making any changes. You should know that you'll need to pull the dropouts apart a little to fit the wheel in, so a little force is fine for steel.

    You should check if the chain would fall through the gap between the chainrings on your crank. It's a good possibility that it might, so budget for a crank and bottom bracket as well.

    It might be cheaper to just buy a full 105 or rival groupset or a campy groupset if thats what you want.

  10. #10
    Senior Member nebrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Scottsbluff, Nebraska
    Posts
    267
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ericm979 View Post
    See http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html for hub info. If you have a 6sp Uniglide then you will need to do some machining or filing, or buy a new rear wheel.

    Franky, the Centurion wasn't all that great a frame back in the day. If you like it for sentimental value, fine, but considering the number of parts you'll need to change to get close to modern, it may be cheaper to buy a new bike. Depends on your scavenging skills.
    Thanks for the input from all, I have been trying to steer clear from buying a new bike but i think i will just buy a new frame and components. I enjoy building my own things because i believe it adds personal value. thanks again!

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    My Bikes
    '11 Giant Defy2, '05 Salsa Las Cruces, '94 Schwinn Passage and '86 Schwinn Sprint
    Posts
    71
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    keep your old bike as is.

    Start hunting craigslist for a possible project. Find a donor bike with nice components, then find a frame to swap the parts over to.
    Much cheaper than getting anything from the store

  12. #12
    pan y agua merlinextraligh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville
    My Bikes
    Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er
    Posts
    27,414
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Assuming you have braze on bosses for your down tube shifters, this is the key little part ( or one like it ) that you need.

    http://www.bikepartsexpress.com/mm5/...FchaMgod2HsATA



    I converted a Schwinn Paramount OS from 7 speed D/T shifters, to 9 speed brifters. It wasn't a big deal, and it worked fine. But I did it with a used group I already had, and it was a pretty expensive frame, in pristine condition.

    I wouldn't put a lot of money in doing the conversion, where I had to buy parts new, needed new wheels, and had to cold set the frame, unless I was really in love with the frame.

    Buying a newer used bike with 9 speed brifters would be a more cost effective choice.
    You could fall off a cliff and die.
    You could get lost and die.
    You could hit a tree and die.
    OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Homebrew01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ffld Cnty Connecticut
    My Bikes
    Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales
    Posts
    16,001
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StLbikerdude View Post
    keep your old bike as is.
    OP has probably made a decision in the 5 years since the thread was started.
    Bikes: Old steel race bikes, old Cannondale race bikes, less old Cannondale race bike, crappy old mtn bike

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Waterloo
    My Bikes
    2005 Norco CRR2, 1994 Kona Cindercone, 1999 Cannondale R1000D
    Posts
    399
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McTufferton View Post
    My 'old man' rides a 1983 steel frame Terranaut that he considered replacing last year. Instead of spending $4k on a new bike, he stuck with what he liked and knew fit him perfectly.

    He upgraded every component on the bike to Ultegra. Downtube shifters to brifters, cassette, crank, brakes, hubs, wheels, pedals... everything. He says it's like a brand new bike, and regrets not doing it earlier.

    He spent $1300 total, including install. Check out PBK for component group in your price range.
    Pics Please. I'd like to see that...

  15. #15
    pan y agua merlinextraligh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville
    My Bikes
    Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er
    Posts
    27,414
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew01 View Post
    OP has probably made a decision in the 5 years since the thread was started.
    dammit, zombied again.
    You could fall off a cliff and die.
    You could get lost and die.
    You could hit a tree and die.
    OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Homebrew01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ffld Cnty Connecticut
    My Bikes
    Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales
    Posts
    16,001
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merlinextraligh View Post
    Assuming you have braze on bosses for your down tube shifters, this is the key little part ( or one like it ) that you need.

    http://www.bikepartsexpress.com/mm5/...FchaMgod2HsATA



    I converted a Schwinn Paramount OS from 7 speed D/T shifters, to 9 speed brifters. It wasn't a big deal, and it worked fine. But I did it with a used group I already had, and it was a pretty expensive frame, in pristine condition.

    I wouldn't put a lot of money in doing the conversion, where I had to buy parts new, needed new wheels, and had to cold set the frame, unless I was really in love with the frame.

    Buying a newer used bike with 9 speed brifters would be a more cost effective choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by merlinextraligh View Post
    dammit, zombied again.
    The trick is to delete your posts before anyone can quote them.
    Bikes: Old steel race bikes, old Cannondale race bikes, less old Cannondale race bike, crappy old mtn bike

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •