Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (http://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/)
-   -   Hot r Not (http://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/452315-hot-r-not.html)

Smokehouse 02-04-14 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MajorMantra (Post 16467787)
The Specialized above this post has it about right.

The general rule (for about 95% of drop bars) is that if you put a ruler along the flattish bit at the end of the drops, it should coincide with the tips of the brake levers. Obviously when there's a continuous curve it's not an absolute, but if you treat the last 4" of bar as "flat" you'll get close.

Interesting...thanks for that...

Square Wheels 02-04-14 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokehouse (Post 16467731)
The cages were tough. Black doesn't work, total-red is off, silver is a no-go too. I finally decided on the white/red accent because it somewhat matched the bike theme.

Any suggestions?

I got some black / white Specialized ones that would match OK.

This is a terrible pic, with filthy tape, and not a hot r not submission, only posted so he can see the cages. :)
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-_...5_Fiske+St.jpg

lsberrios1 02-04-14 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay68442 (Post 16467765)

It is pretty hot. What I like most about this bike is that it might be the most "practical" iteration of a bike when you consider, performance + price + looks. Great bike all around. However that RD seems to be sufferin' in that pic.

WhyFi 02-04-14 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MajorMantra (Post 16467787)
The general rule (for about 95% of drop bars) is that if you put a ruler along the flattish bit at the end of the drops, it should coincide with the tips of the brake levers. Obviously when there's a continuous curve it's not an absolute, but if you treat the last 4" of bar as "flat" you'll get close.

That's weird. I would think that any general rule would be related to functionality rather than aesthetics. I'm more concerned with a comfortable transition from the bars to the shifters and comfort/usability in the drops. If I don't have those two things, then it's on to different bars. Maybe the tips of the levers line up, but in no way am I concerned with it.

Jay68442 02-04-14 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lsberrios1 (Post 16467836)
However that RD seems to be sufferin' in that pic.

lol, I noticed that when I was uploading the pic. The bike was on the trainer and I think one of my kids must have been playing with the shifters.

Coffee312 02-04-14 05:34 PM

Hot for sure! I agree - I feel like that thing is perfect for pretty much everything you're ever gona do. Maybe I'd through some different wheels on there.

Need to get some picks up - although I'm gona be dropped off the pace for sure compared to that thing haha ;-)

Dunbar 02-04-14 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay68442 (Post 16468094)
lol, I noticed that when I was uploading the pic. The bike was on the trainer and I think one of my kids must have been playing with the shifters.

I just got those same color Podium Chill bottles to match my Silver & Red Roubaix. What is that - Ultegra 6800 with an 11-32 cassette? The chain looks like it might be a little short.

Jay68442 02-04-14 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunbar (Post 16468115)
I just got those same color Podium Chill bottles to match my Silver & Red Roubaix. What is that - Ultegra 6800 with an 11-32 cassette? The chain looks like it might be a little short.

Ultegra 6700. The cassette is 11-28

pretzelogic 02-04-14 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cvall91 (Post 16467749)
You changed frames didn't you? I remember you had all those parts but on a regular SS. I remember because I have that bike and yours makes me jealous :p

I did Sir :). Got a fair deal from the LBS, offered me a Di2 specific frameset and Di2 upgrade kit, so I took the bait. :)

pretzelogic 02-04-14 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkbaby (Post 16467545)
HOTTT... This is classy stealth in my opinion, not that boring black on black only stuff... Great looking bike! :thumb:

Thanks you Sir for apprecialting the build. Good Day!

Ghost Ryder 02-04-14 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay68442 (Post 16467765)

I'll give it a luke warm...
Your chain is screaming in pain, & your RD looks like it's doing yoga/pilates. ;)
:lol:

gc3 02-04-14 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay68442 (Post 16468094)
lol, I noticed that when I was uploading the pic. The bike was on the trainer and I think one of my kids must have been playing with the shifters.

Sounds like a version of "the dog ate my homework"....or" the little green man broke it "....

bianchi10 02-04-14 07:42 PM

:lol:

bigfred 02-04-14 07:52 PM

Excuses.

MajorMantra 02-05-14 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 16467852)
That's weird. I would think that any general rule would be related to functionality rather than aesthetics. I'm more concerned with a comfortable transition from the bars to the shifters and comfort/usability in the drops. If I don't have those two things, then it's on to different bars. Maybe the tips of the levers line up, but in no way am I concerned with it.

The majority of bars are designed so that the rule of thumb gives a position in which both drops and hoods are accessible and usable. Not all, but most. And like all rules of thumb, it's a starting point and you should adjust to suit from there.

I've seen lots of bikes on BF where people have tried to create a completely flat bar to hood transition on bars that weren't designed for it. As a result the drops end up at a wacky angle. In the above example the levers are too low on the bars, meaning there's a lump in the bar to hood transition which will press on the rider's wrists when he's on the hoods.

ShutUpLegs 02-05-14 10:18 AM

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...psdf95650c.jpg

ConGrUenCy 02-05-14 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShutUpLegs (Post 16469681)

I reckon it's super hot. Maybe you could cut the excess steerer tube to make it even hotter?

ShutUpLegs 02-05-14 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ConGrUenCy (Post 16469724)
I reckon it's super hot. Maybe you could cut the excess steerer tube to make it even hotter?

That is next on the list, was after my fit was dialed in, so want to ride for a little then off it comes.

PatrickGSR94 02-05-14 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay68442 (Post 16467765)

Love it, totally hot! But why are there only 2 cables visible coming off your bars?

cycledogg 02-05-14 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShutUpLegs (Post 16469681)

Looks pretty darn good. Might wanna push that saddle back a smidge. Be for warned, most folks here object to labels on high profile wheels. Other than that, ride the beef out of it!
Cheers

KRhea 02-05-14 12:15 PM

Serious "race" heat. Question, where is the cassette? I can see what I think is the hub flange but no "teeth" profile.

Jay68442 02-05-14 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 (Post 16469890)
Love it, totally hot! But why are there only 2 cables visible coming off your bars?

There are 4 cables but you can't see the other 2 because of the angle of the picture.

SirHustlerEsq 02-05-14 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShutUpLegs (Post 16469681)

Fire hot.

ShutUpLegs 02-05-14 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KRhea (Post 16470100)
Serious "race" heat. Question, where is the cassette? I can see what I think is the hub flange but no "teeth" profile.

Didn't install it yet at that point. Was a little lazy and wanted to see what it all looked like together.

cderalow 02-05-14 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 (Post 16469890)
Love it, totally hot! But why are there only 2 cables visible coming off your bars?


If you look really close you can actually see one passing level with the bar resting on the wall.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:01 PM.