Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 748 of 809 FirstFirst ... 248648698738746747748749750758798 ... LastLast
Results 18,676 to 18,700 of 20205

Thread: Hot r Not

  1. #18676
    Senior Member Gus90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Chicago (suburbs)
    My Bikes
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced 2: 2010 Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra Solo: 2013 Factory Five F550: 2013 Giant TCX Advanced SL
    Posts
    315
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bianchi10 View Post
    They Giant is "Defy'nitely" NOT hot

    See what I did there!!?? Sorry, Not
    your grammar or your clever use of defy, hard to tell.

  2. #18677
    King Hoternot bianchi10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon City, OR
    My Bikes
    2012 cannondale Supersix
    Posts
    4,499
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Dont take this thread too seriously though Gus. The bike itself is nice. Really, its the stem angle and shifters for me. If this bike had a Flipped 6 degree and newer generation shifters, it would have a completely different look. As mentioned, swap out that red cage for a white one or black set. Not a fan of the red bartape either, I'd stick with black, but thats just me. This isn't something that I would normally say in this thread, but dont let this thread discourage you at all. If you like it, then ride it like its the hottest bike you have ever seen and be proud of it.

    Yeah, I meant "The" not They. Glad I saw that AFTER I wrote the above

  3. #18678
    Senior Member Gus90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Chicago (suburbs)
    My Bikes
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced 2: 2010 Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra Solo: 2013 Factory Five F550: 2013 Giant TCX Advanced SL
    Posts
    315
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I did flip the stem that's in the one pic in front of my door. And a new set of brake shifters that use the zipp bars internal routing may be a decent investment to clean it up along with matching my cages and black tape. That should tone it down quite a bit. But taking the stickers of my new wheels is a bit too much, not going to care about that.

    It's all good, I wouldn't have posted my bike here if I wasn't ready for honest critiques. Besides, I know its a little loud and obnoxious.
    Last edited by Gus90; 04-01-14 at 06:01 AM.

  4. #18679
    Upgrading my engine DXchulo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Reno
    Posts
    5,600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Gus, if you like the way it looks who gives a **** what other people think? You're the one riding it every day.
    centuryperweek.blogspot.com

  5. #18680
    V8s all day primov8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    NYC--->Rockville Centre--->NYC
    My Bikes
    2012 Ridley Noah Pro-SR11 EPS, 2013 De Rosa Merak Evo-SR11 EPS
    Posts
    779
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus90 View Post
    That's good advice thanks, next replacement of tape will be black (originally it was white and I hated it) and I'm definitely replacing the red cage with a matching white one. May wait on the saddle for a bit but when it's time it'll be black. Thanks for the advice, its very much appreciated.
    I actually like the red tape; even better if it was the Fizik gloss red tape. IMO, it'll give it the perfect contrast. I'd also match the cages as well, either both black or white.
    2012 Ridley Noah Pro / SR11-EPS
    ??? / SR11-EPS

  6. #18681
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Rep. of Dallas
    Posts
    760
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The seat bag on the Giant looks like one of those horse insemination devices used for collection on male horses. You said it was a little loud, so change the bar tape to black, cages to black, and it will probably settle-down the colors a lot.

  7. #18682
    Senior Member Gus90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Chicago (suburbs)
    My Bikes
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced 2: 2010 Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra Solo: 2013 Factory Five F550: 2013 Giant TCX Advanced SL
    Posts
    315
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do most of you carry your repair gear in your jerseys rather than a small bag?

  8. #18683
    Senior Member Gus90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Chicago (suburbs)
    My Bikes
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced 2: 2010 Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra Solo: 2013 Factory Five F550: 2013 Giant TCX Advanced SL
    Posts
    315
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I've seen that glossy tape before, not a fan though. It's its just too shiny.

  9. #18684
    Senior Member Gus90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Chicago (suburbs)
    My Bikes
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced 2: 2010 Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra Solo: 2013 Factory Five F550: 2013 Giant TCX Advanced SL
    Posts
    315
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SirHustlerEsq View Post
    The seat bag on the Giant looks like one of those horse insemination devices used for collection on male horses.
    Well, you know, I'm riding with some hard core cyclists and we pass a horse ranch, you never know when one of them might get the urge to jack a horse, least I could do is let you borrow my seat bag.

  10. #18685
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Rep. of Dallas
    Posts
    760
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus90 View Post
    Well, you know, I'm riding with some hard core cyclists and we pass a horse ranch, you never know when one of them might get the urge to jack a horse, least I could do is let you borrow my seat bag.
    It's comforting to know that I'm not the only rider in tune with equine sensitivities.

  11. #18686
    Senior Member Gus90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Chicago (suburbs)
    My Bikes
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced 2: 2010 Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra Solo: 2013 Factory Five F550: 2013 Giant TCX Advanced SL
    Posts
    315
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SirHustlerEsq View Post
    It's comforting to know that I'm not the only rider in tune with equine sensitivities.
    Its all good, and if it were a thoroughbred you could sell it and help me finance all these changes you all suggest on my bike.
    Last edited by Gus90; 04-01-14 at 07:34 AM.

  12. #18687
    Mostly Harmless rjones28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Chittenango, NY
    My Bikes
    Have two wheels
    Posts
    20,735
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bianchi10 View Post
    The Giant is "Defy'nitely" NOT hot

    See what I did there!!?? Sorry, Not
    It's against "the rules" to make that comment in the same post you do the thing you're commenting on.
    Quote Originally Posted by truckstop View Post
    getting banned from trollheim. does that mean you win?

  13. #18688
    Mostly Harmless rjones28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Chittenango, NY
    My Bikes
    Have two wheels
    Posts
    20,735
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus90 View Post
    Do most of you carry your repair gear in your jerseys rather than a small bag?
    My repair gear goes in a seat bag.
    Quote Originally Posted by truckstop View Post
    getting banned from trollheim. does that mean you win?

  14. #18689
    Senior Member SpeshulEd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Peoria, AZ
    Posts
    3,389
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus90 View Post
    That's good advice thanks, next replacement of tape will be black (originally it was white and I hated it) and I'm definitely replacing the red cage with a matching white one. May wait on the saddle for a bit but when it's time it'll be black. Thanks for the advice, its very much appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by bianchi10 View Post
    Dont take this thread too seriously though Gus. The bike itself is nice. Really, its the stem angle and shifters for me. If this bike had a Flipped 6 degree and newer generation shifters, it would have a completely different look. As mentioned, swap out that red cage for a white one or black set. Not a fan of the red bartape either, I'd stick with black, but thats just me. This isn't something that I would normally say in this thread, but dont let this thread discourage you at all. If you like it, then ride it like its the hottest bike you have ever seen and be proud of it.

    Yeah, I meant "The" not They. Glad I saw that AFTER I wrote the above
    Listen to Bianchi10...if your bike rides fine and you enjoy it, don't feel the need to change things just to please some random people's opinions on the internet. You've been given a ton of advice to make your bike look better in a thread on a random bike message board, but in all reality, none of that matters. Just enjoy your bike. Of course, if you like to waste money on a hobby and are going for internet cred, then by all means, hang out here and you and your hard earned cash will soon part.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gus90 View Post
    Do most of you carry your repair gear in your jerseys rather than a small bag?
    I don't (it's too hot in the summer to carry that crap on my back), but I do take it off for photo purposes.

    If you haven't read "The Rules" yet, that's a good place to start to gain some bike snobiness...
    Velominati ? The Rules
    Hey guys, lets go play bikes!

    Strava

  15. #18690
    Senior Member Gus90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Chicago (suburbs)
    My Bikes
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced 2: 2010 Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra Solo: 2013 Factory Five F550: 2013 Giant TCX Advanced SL
    Posts
    315
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So other than the saddle, you all are suggesting something more like this....

    not mine but just did a quick search to see if I could find this bike with different parts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  16. #18691
    Senior Member RPK79's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    SE MN
    My Bikes
    Fuji Roubaix Pro
    Posts
    2,733
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus90 View Post
    So other than the saddle, you all are suggesting something more like this....

    not mine but just did a quick search to see if I could find this bike with different parts.
    Well clearly you wouldn't want to take the picture in front of a brown garage door.

  17. #18692
    Senior Member Gus90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Chicago (suburbs)
    My Bikes
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced 2: 2010 Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra Solo: 2013 Factory Five F550: 2013 Giant TCX Advanced SL
    Posts
    315
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeshulEd View Post
    Listen to Bianchi10...if your bike rides fine and you enjoy it, don't feel the need to change things just to please some random people's opinions on the internet. You've been given a ton of advice to make your bike look better in a thread on a random bike message board, but in all reality, none of that matters. Just enjoy your bike. Of course, if you like to waste money on a hobby and are going for internet cred, then by all means, hang out here and you and your hard earned cash will soon part.



    I don't (it's too hot in the summer to carry that crap on my back), but I do take it off for photo purposes.

    If you haven't read "The Rules" yet, that's a good place to start to gain some bike snobiness...
    Velominati ? The Rules
    All true, but it's interesting to field opinions. I've been on the fence about the contrasting cages since I bought the bike last year anyway, plus now that shimano has updated brake shifters with internal cable routing, it's a change I wanted to make eventually. Beyond that, I'll keep it as it is.
    Last edited by Gus90; 04-01-14 at 08:00 AM.

  18. #18693
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Toronto Canada
    Posts
    477
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zatopek View Post
    Hot. Remove that gargantuan headtube extender/spacer and slam the stem. Then, it would be molten.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Ryder View Post
    I believe Argons have a sort of "active suspension" built into the fork or head tube.
    (Makes the stack look long.)
    Not sure if this is that model, but I did read up on this feature on the Argon webpage a year or so ago.

    It's the Argon 18 3D Headtube. Basically it's a threaded insert that allows you to extend your headtube without having to use spacers, significantly increasing front end stiffness.





    I'd love to remove the insert, but my fit is what it is. If it weren't for shallow drop bars, I'd be forced to flip the stem for positive rise.

  19. #18694
    So it is LAJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Westminster, CO
    My Bikes
    81 Puch Luzerne, 90 Schwinn 684, Ridley Boreas, November Wheelhouse
    Posts
    5,406
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Generally, I take a pic of my bike brand new, or just built up, without bags, or Garmin installed, etc. It's only new once, and I like to catch the new before I ride the new off of it. Anyone that commented on your bike has already run the gauntlet here, and their bike has been run through the wringer. It's only my opinion, which you invited up by posting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Element GT View Post
    I did my first metric this year and it was a blast! The biggest surprise was how much I actually ate through the whole thing at the snack tables.

  20. #18695
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    110
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus90 View Post
    So other than the saddle, you all are suggesting something more like this....

    not mine but just did a quick search to see if I could find this bike with different parts.
    Better... but don't forget staging:

    White door, cranks horizontal, valve stems at 6. Just kidding... but seriously...

  21. #18696
    L-I-V-I-N dtrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Stafford, OR
    Posts
    2,732
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus90 View Post
    ...a new set of brake shifters that use the zipp bars internal routing may be a decent investment to clean it up...
    I don't think new STI's (just for the look) would be a 'decent investment'. Wear out those 5600 105 parts with saddle time instead. Cages and tape are your 'look' items; just ditch the red (like the other pic you posted).
    Last edited by dtrain; 04-01-14 at 11:03 AM.
    "The older you do get, the more rules they're gonna try to get you to follow. You just gotta keep livin', man, L-I-V-I-N." - Wooderson

    '11 Fuji SL - '04 Bianchi Imola - '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur

  22. #18697
    Senior Member Gus90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Chicago (suburbs)
    My Bikes
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced 2: 2010 Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra Solo: 2013 Factory Five F550: 2013 Giant TCX Advanced SL
    Posts
    315
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dtrain View Post
    I don't think new STI's (just for the look) would be a 'decent investment'. Wear out those 5600 105 parts with saddle time instead. Cages and tape are your 'look' items; just ditch the red (like the other pic you posted).
    I actually have an LBS here who will give me a price of $180 on a set of shifters that are fresh off a new bike that someone put ultegra on, so that seems too good to pass up.

  23. #18698
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    My Bikes
    Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike
    Posts
    1,177
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadabout007 View Post
    spring refresh... new tape, brake cables, and old man saddle. Also added a crazy 11/28 cassette for an upcoming trip.
    Nice job, looks great.

  24. #18699
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Central Cali
    My Bikes
    The Cult
    Posts
    477
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ask them if that's 180 otd w/install if your going that route. But I second not upgrading until you need to.

    I upgraded on my old bike, after about 200 miles you realize you just wasted about 200 or so dollars because the new shifters do nothing more than what the old shifters did.

  25. #18700
    Senior Member RPK79's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    SE MN
    My Bikes
    Fuji Roubaix Pro
    Posts
    2,733
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus90 View Post
    I actually have an LBS here who will give me a price of $180 on a set of shifters that are fresh off a new bike that someone put ultegra on, so that seems too good to pass up.
    Shimano STI Levers 105 Black 5700/5703 with cables, GEARSHIFT STI / ERGO

    Shimano 105 ST-5700 Cycling STI Levers Black Sports & Leisure | ProBikeKit.com

    That's just how much they cost (at least if you order them from the UK).

    Price will probably come down on 5700 too when 5800 gets released.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •