Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-25-08, 04:36 PM   #26
dhale50
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
dhale50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: IL
Bikes: Ridley Damocles, CAAD10
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ^oZ View Post
Looks like you could use a longer stem
Yeah I was thinking about going with a 120 instead of the 110. I may try it and see how it feels. The 110 feels ok, but sometimes it does feel like I can stretch out a bit more.
dhale50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-08, 04:37 PM   #27
OCRider2000
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Southern Ca
Bikes:
Posts: 424
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are you comfortable with this setup for say a 50 or 60 mile ride? If so then that's great. It sounds like you have discovered your saddle to bar height differential max so I wouldn't bother going lower. As far as seat height it's hard to tell without watching you pedal. Bring a tool with you and experiment while on your rides. You should be able to discover your sweet spot by experimenting. To my eye you do look a tad short reach wise. How do you feel fore\aft balance wise? have you experimented with your saddle fore\aft position? By experimenting you should be able achieve ideal fore\aft balance, seat height and reach. You might want to experiment with a longer stem if you find that your current seat fore\aft position is already in the ideal position for you. Again if you can do long rides in comfort with this setup then you probably want to limit your exerimenting to very small changes. Your current setup my turn out the be the ideal setup for you but the only way to know for sure is to experiment.

Last edited by OCRider2000; 08-25-08 at 05:06 PM.
OCRider2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-08, 04:38 PM   #28
taliesin
Senior Member
 
taliesin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Berkeley, CA
Bikes: Felt F4; Surly Crosscheck
Posts: 260
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looks good.

Saddle height looks fine to me - I might go a smidge lower, but probably not much. Reach looks a little cramped to me, but I like to stretch out on my hoods. You might try a stem with an extra cm of length sometime, but if you are comfortable and don't feel cramped on your hoods after 5-10 miles I probably wouldn't even do that.

Thanks too for wearing bike gear for the photo. Much easier to give feedback when you can actually see the fit.
taliesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-08, 04:57 PM   #29
Reynolds 
Passista
 
Reynolds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility
Posts: 5,428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ^oZ View Post
Looks like you could use a longer stem
+ 1
Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-08, 05:05 PM   #30
CharlieWoo
Banned.
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hammerland
Bikes:
Posts: 1,765
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by umd View Post
FWIW, your fit looks pretty similar to mine (#952)
umd - the OP's arms are bigger than your legs!
CharlieWoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-08, 05:13 PM   #31
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas
 
10 Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In The Wind
Bikes: 2010 Expedition, 03 GTO
Posts: 29,316
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucklehead View Post
NO.

dhale50, If you're finding that your saddle height isn't right, change it in smaller increments - like 1/8" at a time. 1/2" is a big move.
Like the OP, I had a friend help fit me on an 25 y/o road bike.
After getting the professional fit for a New Road Bike, I found the old bike seat, 2 inches Too High.
__________________
[SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI
10 Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-08, 05:22 PM   #32
C_Heath
Its Freakin HammerTime!!!
 
C_Heath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Off the back @ 188 BPM's
Bikes: 2008 Felt F3 :)
Posts: 2,257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
looks killer to me, jus ride that biznatch.
C_Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-08, 05:48 PM   #33
Dubbayoo
Senior Member
 
Dubbayoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Atlanta
Bikes: Pedal Force QS3
Posts: 7,681
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ^oZ View Post
Looks like you could use a longer stem
if you draw a line from his front hub to his eyeballs while he's on the hoods it directly intersects the bar tops. That's about average.
Dubbayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-08, 06:07 PM   #34
umd
Banned
 
umd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT
Posts: 28,387
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieWoo View Post
umd - the OP's arms are bigger than your legs!
Maybe bigger than my calves but not bigger than my thighs...
umd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-08, 07:09 PM   #35
halfspeed
Senior Member
 
halfspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: SE Minnesota
Bikes: are better than yours.
Posts: 12,276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What's your crank length? I have the same inseam and a 79cm saddle height with 175mm cranks. Stem could be longer too.
halfspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-08, 07:23 PM   #36
dhale50
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
dhale50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: IL
Bikes: Ridley Damocles, CAAD10
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfspeed View Post
What's your crank length? I have the same inseam and a 79cm saddle height with 175mm cranks. Stem could be longer too.
Cranks are 172.5. The guy that worked with me also said I could probably go with 175's because of my inseam. It's too late for that though as I am out of money He also said that the 2.5mm difference would not "kill" the fit. I am definitely going to try a 120mm stem and see how that feels.

Last edited by dhale50; 08-25-08 at 07:27 PM.
dhale50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-08, 07:42 PM   #37
hollow
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Missouri
Bikes: Cervelo P2K, Cannondale R1000
Posts: 421
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfspeed View Post
What's your crank length?
A bit personal, eh?
hollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-08, 07:44 PM   #38
halfspeed
Senior Member
 
halfspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: SE Minnesota
Bikes: are better than yours.
Posts: 12,276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollow View Post
A bit personal, eh?
You get a pass on that because you're one of the few who have an earlier join date than I do.
halfspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-08, 07:48 PM   #39
Vireo
labeled rude by nOObs
 
Vireo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: San Marcos, CA
Bikes: Tommasini Tecno, Pinarello Tandem, Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixed Gear, Serotta CSI Custom, Bianchi Campione del Monde, Cervelo P3 Carbon
Posts: 2,354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I usually leave these threads alone. I am a pro fitter but I prefer to fit people in person.

My observations are:

The saddle is not too high quite the opposite it is too LOW.

The OP's arms are freakishly long for his body hence he needs a longer stem by at least 2 cms.



My very first impression is the bike was too small for you. But at 5 10" you should be on a 56cm. It's just your arms that throw the whole thing off. You looked cramped to me. The pictures you took are excellent. Thank you. The one of you on the hoods sealed it for me your reach is too short.

If I was fitting you and selling you bike I would have recommended the 58cm. With all the spacers you have on the 56cm you should just be on the 58cm it would have a longer top tube you could ride a 110mm or 120mm stem and your reach based on your arms length would be appropriate. (with this bike looks like 130mm and I don't recommend that unless you are a crit banger)

Now let me set the rest of this thread on fire by saying that inseam is not important when sizing for a bike. The most important measurement is your trunk (notch to crotch) and then relate that measurement to the manufactures geometry charts for their top tube. You can jack a saddle up 300mm or down to the frame. But if you mess around with saddle fore and aft you mess with power transfer if you mess with stem lengths you mess with the handling characteristics of the bike. So top tube is the most important and least "adjustable" measurement in regards to achieving the correct reach. The OP is a classic example where if you size him to inseam the bike ends up too small for him.

KOPS is nonsense. Another ridiculous and archaic measurement that has stayed in practice for far too long. Tell me that the KOPS, taken in a static position, is where you will be pedaling the entire time you on the bike and I have a bridge to sell you.

Last edited by Vireo; 08-25-08 at 08:09 PM.
Vireo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-08, 07:52 PM   #40
hollow
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Missouri
Bikes: Cervelo P2K, Cannondale R1000
Posts: 421
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfspeed View Post
You get a pass on that because you're one of the few who have an earlier join date than I do.
And now you're making a pass at me? Wow, I should log off and go to the gym By the way, I think we're in the same town. And I hope my longevity on here allows me to make a stupid post on ocassion.
hollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-08, 08:16 PM   #41
dhale50
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
dhale50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: IL
Bikes: Ridley Damocles, CAAD10
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vireo View Post
The saddle is not too high quite the opposite it is too LOW.
In looking at my pictures, what about the position makes you believe the seat is too low? Is it that my foot is level at the bottom?

Thanks to all for the comments. Very informative stuff.
dhale50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-08, 08:25 PM   #42
Doctor Who
Lotion/Basket/Hose
 
Doctor Who's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Chicago
Bikes: 1992 Schwinn Paramount
Posts: 1,368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhale50 View Post
Yes! I have been out there for years, but now I am starting to ride along Sheridan road. Much much better riding done that way. LFP in unbearable now.
Yeah, man. Sheridan's about as good as it's gonna get without leaving the city/north suburbs.

Oh, I can't wait until it gets lousy again so that only the diehards are out on the LFP. I can't handle it anymore.
Doctor Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-08, 08:30 PM   #43
Vireo
labeled rude by nOObs
 
Vireo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: San Marcos, CA
Bikes: Tommasini Tecno, Pinarello Tandem, Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixed Gear, Serotta CSI Custom, Bianchi Campione del Monde, Cervelo P3 Carbon
Posts: 2,354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhale50 View Post
In looking at my pictures, what about the position makes you believe the seat is too low? Is it that my foot is level at the bottom?

Thanks to all for the comments. Very informative stuff.
Send me another picture with your knee locked out and the pedal crank at the 6 o clock position. Also are you a toe down pedaler or heel down pedaler?
Vireo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-08, 08:38 PM   #44
dhale50
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
dhale50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: IL
Bikes: Ridley Damocles, CAAD10
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vireo View Post
Send me another picture with your knee locked out and the pedal crank at the 6 o clock position. Also are you a toe down pedaler or heel down pedaler?
Thanks. I'll try to get that photo to you. I definitely feel more powerful when I am dropping my heel at the bottom if that's what you mean.
dhale50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-08, 08:43 PM   #45
halfspeed
Senior Member
 
halfspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: SE Minnesota
Bikes: are better than yours.
Posts: 12,276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollow View Post
And now you're making a pass at me? Wow, I should log off and go to the gym By the way, I think we're in the same town. And I hope my longevity on here allows me to make a stupid post on ocassion.
I know people in Missouri, but I don't think it has annexed Minnesota yet.
halfspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-08, 08:43 PM   #46
Campag4life
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 10,655
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vireo View Post
I usually leave these threads alone. I am a pro fitter but I prefer to fit people in person.

My observations are:

The saddle is not too high quite the opposite it is too LOW.

The OP's arms are freakishly long for his body hence he needs a longer stem by at least 2 cms.



My very first impression is the bike was too small for you. But at 5 10" you should be on a 56cm. It's just your arms that throw the whole thing off. You looked cramped to me. The pictures you took are excellent. Thank you. The one of you on the hoods sealed it for me your reach is too short.

If I was fitting you and selling you bike I would have recommended the 58cm. With all the spacers you have on the 56cm you should just be on the 58cm it would have a longer top tube you could ride a 110mm or 120mm stem and your reach based on your arms length would be appropriate. (with this bike looks like 130mm and I don't recommend that unless you are a crit banger)

Now let me set the rest of this thread on fire by saying that inseam is not important when sizing for a bike. The most important measurement is your trunk (notch to crotch) and then relate that measurement to the manufactures geometry charts for their top tube. You can jack a saddle up 300mm or down to the frame. But if you mess around with saddle fore and aft you mess with power transfer if you mess with stem lengths you mess with the handling characteristics of the bike. So top tube is the most important and least "adjustable" measurement in regards to achieving the correct reach. The OP is a classic example where if you size him to inseam the bike ends up too small for him.

KOPS is nonsense. Another ridiculous and archaic measurement that has stayed in practice for far too long. Tell me that the KOPS, taken in a static position, is where you will be pedaling the entire time you on the bike and I have a bridge to sell you.
You have a pretty girlfriend, but you should be in another line of work.

OP...the above is utter nonsense. You fit that bike perfectly...in particular with the long head tube of the Optimum relative to top tube length.
Campag4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-08, 09:07 PM   #47
Vireo
labeled rude by nOObs
 
Vireo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: San Marcos, CA
Bikes: Tommasini Tecno, Pinarello Tandem, Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixed Gear, Serotta CSI Custom, Bianchi Campione del Monde, Cervelo P3 Carbon
Posts: 2,354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campag4life View Post
You have a pretty girlfriend, but you should be in another line of work.

OP...the above is utter nonsense. You fit that bike perfectly...in particular with the long head tube of the Optimum relative to top tube length.
Thank you. She's actually even more beautiful on the inside.

That is your opinion. But since you probably have never had the liability (as a pro fitter/shop manager) of having to fit thousands and thousands of people and sold thousands of bikes to people (from pros to recreational) of all shapes and sizes and NEVER had a bike returned or even questioned for being the wrong bike or wrong size then I think MY opinion matters. I have seen it in other shops and even in my shop with my coworkers. But it has NEVER happened to anyone that I have fit in the shop or in my private business.

and this is the reason I stay out of these threads.

Last edited by Vireo; 08-25-08 at 09:12 PM.
Vireo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-08, 09:12 PM   #48
ultraman6970
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 7,860
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campag4life View Post
You have a pretty girlfriend, but you should be in another line of work.

OP...the above is utter nonsense. You fit that bike perfectly...in particular with the long head tube of the Optimum relative to top tube length.
Agree in the GF part.

Lower the seat a little more is all you need right now. Many people simply have a bad style while riding a bike, they were never thought so after many years riding like that, its really hard to make them look good over the bike. So no matter who fits you, if you ride as a caveman, you will continue riding like a caveman all your life.

Well thansk for the pictures, as somebody said. Finally somebody post pictures in cycling gear...

Good luck
ultraman6970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-08, 09:13 PM   #49
pharding
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chicago
Bikes: 09 Pinarello Prince, 09 Cervelo P3, 10 Stevens Team Carbon
Posts: 789
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would get the next size longer stem.
pharding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-08, 09:29 PM   #50
Chucklehead
Whateverthehell
 
Chucklehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: U.S.S.A.
Bikes: '06 Blue Competition RC5AL w/ritchey pro fork, spinergy stealth PBO, etc.
Posts: 7,433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vireo View Post
Thank you. She's actually even more beautiful on the inside.

That is your opinion. But since you probably have never had the liability (as a pro fitter/shop manager) of having to fit thousands and thousands of people and sold thousands of bikes to people (from pros to recreational) of all shapes and sizes and NEVER had a bike returned or even questioned for being the wrong bike or wrong size then I think MY opinion matters. I have seen it in other shops and even in my shop with my coworkers. But it has NEVER happened to anyone that I have fit in the shop or in my private business.

and this is the reason I stay out of these threads.
It's no use. Your reputation and experience in real life mean nothing here
__________________
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." - Leonardo daVinci
Chucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:10 PM.