Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    funky plumber wallychamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    QUEENS BORO
    Posts
    87
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Using Garmin 305 Indoors

    If anyone here uses a 305 unit to train indoors, what kind of functionality do you get with it? My unit doesn't get any satellite reception near my house and especially not in my basement where my trainer is so all I can really use is my Cadence and HRM.

    Is there no way I can try to get my distance/speed recorded indoors?

  2. #2
    Senior Member nachomc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    My Bikes
    Epic and Tarmac
    Posts
    1,259
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The cadence sensor has that swing arm that should be used to determine speed via the magnet on your rear wheel.
    cleanspokes

    29 inches to freedom.

  3. #3
    umd
    umd is offline
    Banned umd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Santa Barbara, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT
    Posts
    28,343
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you think about it for a moment, how would you expect to get speed indoors on your trainer if you did get GPS reception?

  4. #4
    funky plumber wallychamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    QUEENS BORO
    Posts
    87
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what im wondering if there are any options to tinker with.. maybe it's possible to set it to pick up speed from the cadence sensor. shall i edit my OP to specifically ask that or can we try to be reasonable people and answer questions that you may be able to help with - and none that you ****in cant.

  5. #5
    Certifiable Bike "Expert"
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,632
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by umd View Post
    If you think about it for a moment, how would you expect to get speed indoors on your trainer if you did get GPS reception?

    Perhaps the OP has an indoor velodrome?
    I don't even use the offensive term "Fred." -- Sheldon "All Cyclists Are My Friends" Brown (1944-2008)

  6. #6
    umd
    umd is offline
    Banned umd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Santa Barbara, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT
    Posts
    28,343
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantoj View Post
    Perhaps the OP has an indoor velodrome?
    That would be cool, and I thought about that, except that a trainer in the basement was mentioned...

  7. #7
    I'm that guy that I am.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,153
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wallychamp View Post
    what im wondering if there are any options to tinker with.. maybe it's possible to set it to pick up speed from the cadence sensor. shall i edit my OP to specifically ask that or can we try to be reasonable people and answer questions that you may be able to help with - and none that you ****in cant.
    It does pick up speed with the cadence sensor, using the magnet on your rear wheel spoke. Just remember that if you haven't used that combo outside with a GPS signal then ``Auto'' for rear wheel size won't work -- you'll have to set it manually in the Settings -> Bike menu.
    It's not how many miles you ride, but how hard you ride them. Time trials aren't races.

  8. #8
    umd
    umd is offline
    Banned umd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Santa Barbara, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT
    Posts
    28,343
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wallychamp View Post
    what im wondering if there are any options to tinker with.. maybe it's possible to set it to pick up speed from the cadence sensor. shall i edit my OP to specifically ask that or can we try to be reasonable people and answer questions that you may be able to help with - and none that you ****in cant.
    Temper temper temper. As the first reply said, there is a speed and cadence sensor that will pick up speed a) when there is no GPS signal, or b) when used in a stationary application like on a trainer. I was pointing out that your question, as phrased, was stupid (I don't know who came up with the saying that there are no stupid questions), because the GPS signal is obviously not relevant if the bike is not moving!

  9. #9
    funky plumber wallychamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    QUEENS BORO
    Posts
    87
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rizz View Post
    It does pick up speed with the cadence sensor, using the magnet on your rear wheel spoke. Just remember that if you haven't used that combo outside with a GPS signal then ``Auto'' for rear wheel size won't work -- you'll have to set it manually in the Settings -> Bike menu.
    perfect. i had it set to auto but hopefully this will take it off relying on the gps to track speed.

  10. #10
    funky plumber wallychamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    QUEENS BORO
    Posts
    87
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by umd View Post
    Temper temper temper. As the first reply said, there is a speed and cadence sensor that will pick up speed a) when there is no GPS signal, or b) when used in a stationary application like on a trainer. I was pointing out that your question, as phrased, was stupid (I don't know who came up with the saying that there are no stupid questions), because the GPS signal is obviously not relevant if the bike is not moving!
    you misunderstood my question... responded twice anyway. thanks a mill.

    maybe you can read my question again and realized i was looking for a way to track speed and distance without GPS.

  11. #11
    Wheelsuck Fat Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use my Garmin on my trainer to log heart rate info. It works fine. I get a varying GPS signal. I end up 'travelling' about 400 feet an hour. I've never tried to make the speed or cadence off the magnets work.
    Austin doesn't have hippies. They have slightly rebellious Methodists. - Racer Ex

  12. #12
    Senior Member JohnKScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Franklin, TN
    My Bikes
    None yo damn binness
    Posts
    3,258
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've found it works better indoors if you just turn the GPS functionality off. That's what I do.

  13. #13
    umd
    umd is offline
    Banned umd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Santa Barbara, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT
    Posts
    28,343
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wallychamp View Post
    you misunderstood my question... responded twice anyway. thanks a mill.

    maybe you can read my question again and realized i was looking for a way to track speed and distance without GPS.
    I see your question. I've bolded it below. It is pretty clear. What is it that you think I misread?

    Quote Originally Posted by wallychamp View Post
    If anyone here uses a 305 unit to train indoors, what kind of functionality do you get with it? My unit doesn't get any satellite reception near my house and especially not in my basement where my trainer is so all I can really use is my Cadence and HRM.

    Is there no way I can try to get my distance/speed recorded indoors?
    I didn't attempt to answer your question. Someone else had already done that. I repeat, why is it that you think a weak GPS signal would have any bearing on whether or not "speed and distance" are recorded when stationary?

  14. #14
    Senior Member Plow13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    Lemond Alpe d'Huez 2005
    Posts
    1,212
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    did my first century..

    read that post...i did it with a garmin 305...
    Cervelo S1 2010 (road) Lemond Alpe d'Huez 2004 (road)
    Trek 4500 2006 (mtb) Gary Fischer Utopia 2008 (commuter)
    Redline Conquest 2009 (cross) Redline 925 2009 (single speed)

  15. #15
    New! With Self Loathing! scottmorrison99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Fairfield, California
    My Bikes
    2013 Jamis Xenith T time trial bike, 2013 Jamis Xenith Elite
    Posts
    1,618
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by umd View Post
    If you think about it for a moment, how would you expect to get speed indoors on your trainer if you did get GPS reception?
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantoj View Post
    Perhaps the OP has an indoor velodrome?



  16. #16
    grilled cheesus aham23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    8675309
    My Bikes
    2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport
    Posts
    6,933
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you measure effort on the trainer via time, not distance. turn the GPS function off after you power up the unit and proceed accordingly using the CAD/Speed Sensor and appropriate wheel magnet. later.

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aham23 View Post
    you measure effort on the trainer via time, not distance. turn the GPS function off after you power up the unit and proceed accordingly using the CAD/Speed Sensor and appropriate wheel magnet. later.
    This works great for me also.

    Press mode till you get to the History////Setting page:

    Arrow to Settings/enter, select System/enter, select General/enter, select GPS/enter,
    arrow down to GPS Off/enter, hit mode till your normal data page shown and pedal away.

    Cadence, HR and speed from rear wheel pickup all works, as it should.

    Don't forget to hit start

    I am also experimenting with "map it pronto" to set courses with my 305. Check it out, it was so easy even I got it to work first try, downloaded and syncd to my 305. My first attempt: http://www.mapitpronto.com/index.cfm...de&rideId=2822

    Steve

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •