Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    304
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    shimano shifters?

    is the only difference between Shimano 105 Shifters and ultegra and dura-ace (08) weight?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,753
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitly not. There are many different things like bushings in the 105 and bearings in the Dura Ace. Dura Ace is smoother working and will always last longer in the same conditions.

  3. #3
    moth -----> flame Beaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    My Bikes
    11 CAAD 10-4, 07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 98 Peugeot Horizon
    Posts
    5,908
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    105s work with doubles and triples whereas Ultegra/DA are one or the other.

  4. #4
    en fuego ILUVUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Davenport, IA
    Posts
    2,639
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
    105s work with doubles and triples whereas Ultegra/DA are one or the other.
    Really? The cost of a new left brifter was the prohibiting factor in switching my 105 setup from triple to double (or compact). Good to know.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    304
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks just curious

  6. #6
    W.W.DZ.D? cedricbosch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,978
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You won't go any faster with Dura-Ace, unless you're sprinting in a race. That is the bottom line. And you should never buy a bike component that neither makes you faster nor more comfortable.
    Cat 1 meter- 15%

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez Elite, BMC SLC01
    Posts
    566
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cedricbosch View Post
    You won't go any faster with Dura-Ace, unless you're sprinting in a race. That is the bottom line. And you should never buy a bike component that neither makes you faster nor more comfortable.
    Definitely not true. BF is a testament to that.

  8. #8
    In beaurocratic limbo urbanknight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, K2 Razorback
    Posts
    22,457
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cedricbosch View Post
    you should never buy a bike component that neither makes you faster nor more comfortable.
    Oops.
    "Well, I guess you can cut the arts as much as you want... Sooner or later, these kids aren't going to have anything to read or write about." (Richard Dreyfus as Glenn Holland)

  9. #9
    Arsehole PlatyPius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,278
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No matter what you do, do NOT buy 2008 105 shifters. They had serious issues. Go for Ultegra, or buy 2009 105 shifters.

  10. #10
    moth -----> flame Beaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    My Bikes
    11 CAAD 10-4, 07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 98 Peugeot Horizon
    Posts
    5,908
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanknight View Post
    Oops.
    Haha, haha, ha, ha...err. haaa.. Oh. Me too.

    Quote Originally Posted by ILUVUK View Post
    Really? The cost of a new left brifter was the prohibiting factor in switching my 105 setup from triple to double (or compact). Good to know.
    I just did exactly that - 105 triple to Ultegra SL Compact Double. Works just fine - esp with PBK prices.

  11. #11
    Senior Member grolby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    BOSTON BABY
    Posts
    6,798
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cedricbosch View Post
    You won't go any faster with Dura-Ace, unless you're sprinting in a race.
    How does DA make you faster when sprinting?

    Also, I wasn't aware that there were only two valid reasons to purchase bike components. Replacing crappy brakes won't make me faster or more comfortable. Should I not replace crappy brakes?

  12. #12
    Senior Member gonococcus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Equator
    Posts
    68
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatyPius View Post
    No matter what you do, do NOT buy 2008 105 shifters. They had serious issues. Go for Ultegra, or buy 2009 105 shifters.
    Which issues?

    I've a new 2008 Giant bike with 5600 series 105 shifters on them. Shifting into the smaller chainring takes a little more force that I am comfortable with, but it feels okay otherwise.

  13. #13
    umd
    umd is offline
    Banned umd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Santa Barbara, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT
    Posts
    28,343
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cedricbosch View Post
    You won't go any faster with Dura-Ace, unless you're sprinting in a race. That is the bottom line. And you should never buy a bike component that neither makes you faster nor more comfortable.
    that. doesn't. make. any. sense.

  14. #14
    I eat carbide. Psimet2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Elgin, IL
    My Bikes
    Lots. Current sponsors - Giant and Specialized
    Posts
    19,290
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't know....try them. If you try a DA lever and a 105 lever you will know the difference. If you don't see a big difference and you want to save money then buy the 105.

  15. #15
    Arsehole PlatyPius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,278
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gonococcus View Post
    Which issues?

    I've a new 2008 Giant bike with 5600 series 105 shifters on them. Shifting into the smaller chainring takes a little more force that I am comfortable with, but it feels okay otherwise.
    If you haven't had any problems yet, then you're probably okay; or the dealer already replaced them. We were replacing 105 shifters on almost every bike that came in this year. They would shift 2 or 3 times, and then *snap!* - some plastic part in the mechanism would break off and you'd have nothing. Shimano is allegedly changing that part back to metal for 2009.

  16. #16
    umd
    umd is offline
    Banned umd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Santa Barbara, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT
    Posts
    28,343
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatyPius View Post
    If you haven't had any problems yet, then you're probably okay; or the dealer already replaced them. We were replacing 105 shifters on almost every bike that came in this year. They would shift 2 or 3 times, and then *snap!* - some plastic part in the mechanism would break off and you'd have nothing. Shimano is allegedly changing that part back to metal for 2009.
    I went through two sets of 9-speed 105 shifters after about 10,000 miles each. Some plastic part inside broke. Don't know if they are changed for new models but was told the part was metal on Ultegra or DA. Didn't care to find out, switched to SRAM.

  17. #17
    slow up hills kudude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR, Redline CX, Ritchey Breakaway, Spec S-works epic
    Posts
    4,931
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
    105s work with doubles and triples whereas Ultegra/DA are one or the other.
    any left brifter meant for a triple can be easily set up to work with a double.
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_tom View Post
    Cycling isn't a sport. It's more like a really, really expensive eating disorder.

  18. #18
    boo
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    las vegas, nv going home to az soon
    My Bikes
    canondale caad9, rize 4, yeti 303r
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    are there any ergonimic differances between 105/ultegra/dura-ace. hood shape, reach to brakes etc

  19. #19
    Arsehole PlatyPius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,278
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by umd View Post
    I went through two sets of 9-speed 105 shifters after about 10,000 miles each. Some plastic part inside broke. Don't know if they are changed for new models but was told the part was metal on Ultegra or DA. Didn't care to find out, switched to SRAM.
    That's my plan as well.

    The Look 566 I'm getting is SRAM Rival. I plan to upgrade my other carbon bike from Ultegra to SRAM Red. My Cinelli is Campy. That just leaves the Masi. Maybe Rival or Force for it, too.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NorCal
    My Bikes
    Cervelo R3 (Force)
    Posts
    2,458
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the biggest difference between the three is bling.
    Cervelo Soloist Team (Rival)
    Cervelo R3 (Force)

  21. #21
    slow up hills kudude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR, Redline CX, Ritchey Breakaway, Spec S-works epic
    Posts
    4,931
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW when I get some spare time I'm putting my Ultegra stuff back on my race bike in lieu of (08) Rival.

    It really comes down to one particular 200 yard uphill (I really do mean uphill) sprint. It's twisty downhill into it at 30mph, and you finish at the top somewhere between 15-20mph. I'm much happier upshifting under load out of the saddle on my shimano stuff than the sram guys (guys = levers in this context). The difference is a quick flick of a finger versus an obvious "push-over". Not a big deal to most, or almost anyone, but this little hill shows up on a lot of my rides, and it matters to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_tom View Post
    Cycling isn't a sport. It's more like a really, really expensive eating disorder.

  22. #22
    W.W.DZ.D? cedricbosch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,978
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by umd View Post
    that. doesn't. make. any. sense.
    It makes perfect sense. Unless you have large amounts of disposable income to throw at your hobbies. Which seems to be the norm around here.

    Quote Originally Posted by grolby View Post
    How does DA make you faster when sprinting?

    Also, I wasn't aware that there were only two valid reasons to purchase bike components. Replacing crappy brakes won't make me faster or more comfortable. Should I not replace crappy brakes?
    Dura-Ace actuates shifts quicker, therefore letting you switch gears faster in the heat of a sprint.

    Better brakes will make you more comfortable when you don't have to eat asphalt after your crappy ones fail.
    Cat 1 meter- 15%

  23. #23
    umd
    umd is offline
    Banned umd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Santa Barbara, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT
    Posts
    28,343
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cedricbosch View Post
    It makes perfect sense. Unless you have large amounts of disposable income to throw at your hobbies. Which seems to be the norm around here.
    Incorrect. You said you should never got a component that doesn't make you faster or is more comfortable. Even without going into how silly it is to talk in absolutes, another good reason to pick one component over another can be durability. Some people also seem to care about where things are made. The point is that there can be many reasons why one component is chosed over another aside from just performance or comfort. Asthetics (i.e. bling) does not have to be an unreasonable factor.

  24. #24
    No matches Flatballer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    My Bikes
    two wheeled ones
    Posts
    10,182
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cedricbosch View Post
    It makes perfect sense. Unless you have large amounts of disposable income to throw at your hobbies. Which seems to be the norm around here.
    Jealousy. Making the world go round since forever.

  25. #25
    slow up hills kudude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR, Redline CX, Ritchey Breakaway, Spec S-works epic
    Posts
    4,931
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by desertrat423 View Post
    are there any ergonimic differances between 105/ultegra/dura-ace. hood shape, reach to brakes etc
    105 to ultegra i can say from personal experience the answer is no. I've not ridden DA, so I can't comment
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_tom View Post
    Cycling isn't a sport. It's more like a really, really expensive eating disorder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •