Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-30-13, 02:30 PM   #9601
Nerull
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Bikes:
Posts: 1,098
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyThePinhead View Post
You're keeping the FSA crank and going with the PW chainwheels? After you have a few hundred miles on them it would be interesting to read your comments on how well you like them.

On a somewhat-related front, I ride with a guy who has some nice high-end carbon bars. He wouldn't tell me what he paid for them when I asked, he just said they were big dollars. Knowing him, big dollars means >$250, probably >$300. We shop at the same LBS, nothing is cheap there. Anyway, I'd never heard of the brand, so I was curious and went home after riding with him a few days ago to see what these bars go for on eBay, and I found a set for $50. Basically new. There are still occasional deals out there.

Regarding the Praxis Works chainwheels, the LBS I referred to above is a dealer. I might want to get a pair one of these days. I have mediocre FSAs as well, and I'm good to go for the next several thousand miles, but maybe one of these days...
You can get "3T" handlebars on ebay, with an MSRP for $300, on ebay for $50 as well. Problem is, they're fake.
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-13, 02:42 PM   #9602
ZippyThePinhead
Slacker
 
ZippyThePinhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: North Orange County, in Southern California
Bikes: 1986 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 SR Semi Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium, 2011 Trek Fuel EX 8
Posts: 1,064
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerull View Post
You can get "3T" handlebars on ebay, with an MSRP for $300, on ebay for $50 as well. Problem is, they're fake.
These are IRDs, and I guess they could be fakes, but I'm thinking not. I know one can find a lot of fake stuff, if one cares to look, but turning a profit on counterfeit goods requires a certain critical mass of demand/cachet/high cost, of which these only qualify for one: high cost.
ZippyThePinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-13, 04:10 PM   #9603
Smokehouse
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 636
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyThePinhead View Post
You're keeping the FSA crank and going with the PW chainwheels? After you have a few hundred miles on them it would be interesting to read your comments on how well you like them.

On a somewhat-related front, I ride with a guy who has some nice high-end carbon bars. He wouldn't tell me what he paid for them when I asked, he just said they were big dollars. Knowing him, big dollars means >$250, probably >$300. We shop at the same LBS, nothing is cheap there. Anyway, I'd never heard of the brand, so I was curious and went home after riding with him a few days ago to see what these bars go for on eBay, and I found a set for $50. Basically new. There are still occasional deals out there.

Regarding the Praxis Works chainwheels, the LBS I referred to above is a dealer. I might want to get a pair one of these days. I have mediocre FSAs as well, and I'm good to go for the next several thousand miles, but maybe one of these days...
for now...yes. The FSA crank seems ok for the time being, the motion is smooth and the crank amrs seems sturdy. Truth be told, I'm afraid of carbon crank arms (and carbon handlebars)...seen too many picks of them exploding where the pedal screws in.

I spent last year on a 105 bike with an actual 105 crank...and the feel/shifting was far smoother than the FSA. the FSA is clunky, loud (has a funky ring to it) and shifts crappy. I don't relate any of this to the crankarms. I upgraded to an Ultegra chain (came with a Tiagra) and while it smoothed things up a bit, front shifting is still clunky no matter how much I fiddle with the derailure.

ill post on here later next week after I get it in and install it. I'm hoping it lives up to its reviews...which routinely compare it to the shifting feel of a Dura Ace chainring.


Lastly...concerning carbon handlebars...they worry me too. I landed up going to Ritchey alloy bars which are silly light...you may want to look into something like that.
Smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-13, 04:15 PM   #9604
slynkie
negligent.
 
slynkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: White Plains, NY
Bikes: a few
Posts: 837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Vittoria Open Corsa Evo SC. I love this tire, and pricing/availability lately suggests Vittoria may be preparing to can them...so I've been stocking up a bit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BOCfoXKCIAAzYRM.jpg (79.2 KB, 16 views)
__________________
SUBADWITY
slynkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-13, 08:41 AM   #9605
MileHighMark
Old. Slow. Happy.
 
MileHighMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Boulder County, CO
Bikes:
Posts: 1,798
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Four pounds of this:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Skratch-lemon-lime-300x300.jpg (11.6 KB, 19 views)
MileHighMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-13, 11:21 AM   #9606
PatrickGSR94
Senior Member
 
PatrickGSR94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Memphis TN area
Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)
Posts: 6,179
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighMark View Post
Four pounds of this:

I just heard about that stuff the other day on the Outspoken Cyclist podcast. Might need to check it out. Would love to get that chef's cookbook as well.
PatrickGSR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-13, 11:24 AM   #9607
MileHighMark
Old. Slow. Happy.
 
MileHighMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Boulder County, CO
Bikes:
Posts: 1,798
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
I just heard about that stuff the other day on the Outspoken Cyclist podcast. Might need to check it out. Would love to get that chef's cookbook as well.
Here's my review:
http://www.gravelbike.com/?p=2109

Everybody is different, but it was like an epiphany for me the very first time I used Skratch Labs.
MileHighMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-13, 11:25 AM   #9608
PatrickGSR94
Senior Member
 
PatrickGSR94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Memphis TN area
Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)
Posts: 6,179
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokehouse View Post
for now...yes. The FSA crank seems ok for the time being, the motion is smooth and the crank amrs seems sturdy. Truth be told, I'm afraid of carbon crank arms (and carbon handlebars)...seen too many picks of them exploding where the pedal screws in.

I spent last year on a 105 bike with an actual 105 crank...and the feel/shifting was far smoother than the FSA. the FSA is clunky, loud (has a funky ring to it) and shifts crappy. I don't relate any of this to the crankarms. I upgraded to an Ultegra chain (came with a Tiagra) and while it smoothed things up a bit, front shifting is still clunky no matter how much I fiddle with the derailure.

ill post on here later next week after I get it in and install it. I'm hoping it lives up to its reviews...which routinely compare it to the shifting feel of a Dura Ace chainring.


Lastly...concerning carbon handlebars...they worry me too. I landed up going to Ritchey alloy bars which are silly light...you may want to look into something like that.
Maybe this would be reason enough for me to upgrade my crank in the near future, at least from the FSA to 105 to match the rest of the bike's components. If I shift down from the big ring in just the right spot, the teeth on the big ring are such that it sends the chain over past the small ring and onto the BB shell. It's not the FD that's doing it, it's the big chain ring itself.
PatrickGSR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-13, 11:31 AM   #9609
PatrickGSR94
Senior Member
 
PatrickGSR94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Memphis TN area
Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)
Posts: 6,179
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighMark View Post
Here's my review:
http://www.gravelbike.com/?p=2109

Everybody is different, but it was like an epiphany for me the very first time I used Skratch Labs.
Cool, do you use the Everyday or the Exercise mix?
PatrickGSR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-13, 11:36 AM   #9610
MileHighMark
Old. Slow. Happy.
 
MileHighMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Boulder County, CO
Bikes:
Posts: 1,798
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
Cool, do you use the Everyday or the Exercise mix?
I'm using the Exercise mix.
MileHighMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-13, 01:21 PM   #9611
Smokehouse
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 636
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
Maybe this would be reason enough for me to upgrade my crank in the near future, at least from the FSA to 105 to match the rest of the bike's components. If I shift down from the big ring in just the right spot, the teeth on the big ring are such that it sends the chain over past the small ring and onto the BB shell. It's not the FD that's doing it, it's the big chain ring itself.
This is my attempt to work with the FSA before doing anything drastic. Praxis has a 30 day money back guarantee so I figure if I swap rings, put a few hundred miles on it and see no difference, I'll send it back. I'm looking at the selection of affordable BB30 cranks and so far, I'm not too impressed. Praxis makes a BB30 conversion kit to run Shimano. If the chainring doesn't cut it, I'll drop the BB30 altogether and go with a new 105 crankset
Smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-13, 01:30 PM   #9612
cmschmie
MyBikeRunsonNukePower
 
cmschmie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Charlotte
Bikes: 2013 Specialized Roubaix Expert / 2009 Specialized Allez Elite
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Purchased an Easton EA70 stem (90mm, °6) to replace the Specialized (75mm, 8°) on the Roubaix.
Currently set up as a "rise". Will probably flip it as I become more fit and comfortable.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ea70_stem__6--deg.jpg (26.8 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by cmschmie; 07-01-13 at 01:34 PM.
cmschmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-13, 04:39 PM   #9613
Element GT
Senior Member
 
Element GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oregon
Bikes: '15 Prolite '04 Specialized Allez
Posts: 290
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Pro Barrier Skull Cap
Pro Barrier Leg Warmers

Quality looks and feels great. Fits perfect, granted it may be a bit before I ride with them as it's 97 outside currently. (60's last week) Darn heat waves.
Element GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-13, 06:04 PM   #9614
HBxRider
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Ordered a pair of Gatorskins. My current pair has 3500 miles, and only had one flat. Its been pretty solid for my training, and commuting rides.
HBxRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-13, 07:46 PM   #9615
Elduderino2412
Tour De French Fries
 
Elduderino2412's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Bikes: 2010 Cervelo R3 SL & 2013 Airborne Goblin
Posts: 1,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bought this(standard rings) to replace older version FSA SL-K Light cranks.

Last edited by Elduderino2412; 07-01-13 at 07:49 PM.
Elduderino2412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-13, 07:05 PM   #9616
theanimal
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just got these in the mail. Funny thing though, I could have sworn I heard angels singing when I opened the box :0)
Look Keo Blade Carbon Titanium pedals for the new Fuji SSt


theanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-13, 11:00 PM   #9617
SpeshulEd
Super Moderator
 
SpeshulEd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Bikes:
Posts: 7,421
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theanimal View Post
I just got these in the mail. Funny thing though, I could have sworn I heard angels singing when I opened the box :0)
Look Keo Blade Carbon Titanium pedals for the new Fuji SSt


Nice and Ti axles too! I've been eyeballing these pedals as well.
__________________
Hey guys, lets go play bikes! Strava

SpeshulEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-13, 04:06 AM   #9618
zacster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Brooklyn NY
Bikes:
Posts: 4,978
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Bought the Park cable cutter. I was up to 4 bikes that needed some kind of cable work in my house. I figured it was $9/cut this way, much cheaper than having the shop do the whole job.

I also bought a full Campy derailleur cable set. I needed 2 derailleur cables and one piece of housing for 3 of the 4 bikes, and this one set had everything I needed. The 4th bike needs brake cables, and has needed them since I first got the bike 30 years ago! The braking on that bike has always been stiff, and it has those old Modolo Kronos levers. New teflon cables might do the trick, and I already have a set of Jagwires.
zacster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-13, 07:18 AM   #9619
Rewillia
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NE Houston, Houston, Texas
Bikes: Road, mountain, cruiser, and e-bikes
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Purchased 07/01/2013, a barely/rarely used 2011 Trek Project One custom ordered Madone 6.9 SSL, US bulit OCLV2 Carbon, Dura-Ace Di2 e, Ultegra 170 50/34 Crankset , F&R brakes, Bontrager RLX wheel set, RXX Stem, RXL Bar set, Ultegra Peds, Duo Tap, Charger.

Like new ride, less than 500 miles on the clock, not ridden by PO in past 10 months.

Took into my local Trek shop, assembled, added air, check out perfect, no other work or parts/repairs needed. My local Trek dealer ran the s/n on bike, all OK, registered it for me, and determined from TREK Proj. One team that, MSRP for this build was right at $8k in Nov 2011, while I paid $2k for it including shipping from Illinois to Texas.

Here it is.....



EditedUpdated 07/03/13;

Today, added new Garmin Edge 810, orderd Knog light set. Will make its local Texas debut Saturday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Madone_1.jpg (97.4 KB, 273 views)

Last edited by Rewillia; 07-03-13 at 03:40 PM. Reason: photo adds, text edits.
Rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-13, 07:21 AM   #9620
KantoBoy
Senior Member
 
KantoBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 719
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theanimal View Post
I just got these in the mail. Funny thing though, I could have sworn I heard angels singing when I opened the box :0)
Look Keo Blade Carbon Titanium pedals for the new Fuji SSt
It's all a dream until the pedal body develops a crack.

Register it for warranty. You'll need it.
KantoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-13, 07:22 AM   #9621
DaveWC
Senior Member
 
DaveWC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Canada
Bikes:
Posts: 1,561
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rewillia View Post
Purchased, 2011 Trek Project One custom ordered Madone 6.9 SSL OCLV2 Carbon, Dura-Ace Di2 e, Ultregra CS, brakes, Bontrager RLX wheel set, RXX Stem, RXL Bar set, Ultrega Peds.

Like new ride, less than 500 miles on the clock, not ridden by PO in past 10 months. Took into my local shop, assembled, added air, no other work or parts/repairs needed. Shop, Trek dealer ran s/n on bike, MSRP for build was $8k, I paid $2k delivered. Yahoo :-)
Good job! Enjoy.
DaveWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-13, 08:30 AM   #9622
theanimal
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KantoBoy View Post
It's all a dream until the pedal body develops a crack.

Register it for warranty. You'll need it.
Good job trying to burst my little bubble. Thanks bro
theanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-13, 09:55 PM   #9623
KantoBoy
Senior Member
 
KantoBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 719
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theanimal View Post
Good job trying to burst my little bubble. Thanks bro
I speak from experience and the numerous feedbacks online.

Amazing pedals yes, but I really think they're only race day pedals. I sold my replacement and went with Speedplays after.
KantoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-13, 01:10 AM   #9624
ndredsox
Senior Member
 
ndredsox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Avon, Indiana
Bikes: Raleigh Talus 29(MTB), Trek Madone 2.1(Road), Felt B16(Tri)
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Picked up my new road bike yesterday and threw a black saddle/black tape combo today. Also, purchased the Edge 510. Now, just need a dry weekend!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0118.jpg (64.7 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0119.jpg (52.5 KB, 77 views)
ndredsox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-13, 02:19 AM   #9625
a1penguin
Senior Member
 
a1penguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,744
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndredsox View Post
Picked up my new road bike yesterday and threw a black saddle/black tape combo today. Also, purchased the Edge 510. Now, just need a dry weekend!

Nice looking bike..... but the setup looks a bit unusual.

I hope the pic is before you adjusted the seat; it has a rather large downward angle. That looks like a pretty long stem and stretch. Where is your head when you are on the bike? I test rode a WSD Trek that was too small and my head felt like it was too far forward. Did you try the next frame size up?
a1penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:45 AM.