Everybody knows fixing flats is the bane of tubular tire users, so when I got a flat on a nearly new tire I decided to try something different. I was too lazy to rip off the tire, open the casing, and fix the tube, and the tire wasn't that good that it justified having the repair professionally done, so after a little thought I decided I'd try some of that new-fangled tire sealant. I picked up a bottle at the LBS, got home and of course discovered that my tires don't have removable valve cores.
No matter; this stuff is supposed to seal punctures, right, so what's another hole? I gathered my materials:
1 bottle "Stan's Tire Sealant," fresh from the LBS, well agitated.
1 20cc piston syringe
1 22ga hypodermic needle
1 Pista floor pump
1 wheel with punctured tubular tire.
Step 1: put a little air in the tire, using aforementioned pump. This gives the tube some shape and allows me to introduce the needle without transfixing the tube. Fortunately the leak was small enough to retain the air for several minutes:
Step 2: remove plunger from syringe, attach needle, and introduce needle into the tube. You know you're in the right place when you hear the air return. Just like a chest tube!
Step 3: remove syringe from needle hub, leaving needle properly placed in the tube. The 22ga needle lumen is still quite small, so it will take a while for a significant amount of air to be lost. In any case, you can always add more.
Step 4: fill syringe with sealant from bottle. I used about 15cc. The LBS guy told me the bottle held enough for 2 tires (59ml), but the bottle states it was intended for MTB tires. I figured I could get away with less with narrow tubulars.
Step 5: attach syringe to needle hub and inject sealant.
Step 6: remove needle, inflate to full pressure, and give the wheel a good spin to spread the sealant around, then wait to see if it works.
Several hours later, it's still at full pressure, so I declare the procedure a success!