Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 162
  1. #26
    Member malevolentoilet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    43
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merlinextraligh View Post
    Large portions of Texas, and Calfornia don't have a climate that leads to recreational riding all year long.
    I've lived in the major population centers in both northern and southern California - LA and SF (east bay) - and I could always bike year round.

    Quote Originally Posted by merlinextraligh View Post
    We also lead the nation in lightning strike deaths, because people are outside a lot in Florida.
    Golfers.

  2. #27
    pan y agua merlinextraligh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville
    My Bikes
    Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er
    Posts
    27,311
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocJ View Post
    After moving to Orlando from New Orleans a few years ago, I beg to differ. I agree there are a lot of first time drivers down here, but as far as actually being able to ride decent roads I have no complaints. I said a small prayer every time I left the house just because of the road conditions and traffic flow back home.

    DocJ,

    I realize that I've taken the wrong apporach in this thread in attempt to explain to people that have never ridden here that Florida is a diverse place with some great places to ride.

    So let's not tell them they can ride near Orlando around Clermont through beaucolic scenery with actual hills, and little traffic.

    Or that they can ride around Ocala, and think they were in Kentucky Bluegrass country.

    Or they can ride through miles of Orange gorves and along connecting lakes in Polk county.

    Or that the can ride from Amelia Island to St Augustine, 75 miles along the coast with designated bikelanes, and/or bike friendly roads, with sweeping vistas of the Atlantic ocean.

    Or that they can ride to Key West across miles of the Gulf of Mexico, with panoramic views, with much of it on protected bike path (and planned to soon be complete to Key West)

    Or that they can ride in the Panhandle with rolling Farmland.

    And lets not mention that Florida law requires the DOT to build a bike lane with every new or expanded road.

    Better to simply keep it ourselves, and let them think the whole state is their stereotypical view of South Florida.
    You could fall off a cliff and die.
    You could get lost and die.
    You could hit a tree and die.
    OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

  3. #28
    Senior Member kwrides's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    My Bikes
    2007 Orbea Onix, 2007 Windsor The Hour, 2008 Kona Jake
    Posts
    3,199
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merlinextraligh View Post
    Virutally all of Florida is temperate during the Winter. Large portions of Texas, and Calfornia don't have a climate that leads to recreational riding all year long. Doesn't Dallas get ice storms in the winter?

    Certainly you can ride in Texas in the winter, but that doesn't mean there are a lot of casual cyclists and children doing it ,and those are the groups that make up the bulk of the fatalities. I'm pretty sure on a given January day there are more people cycling in So Fl than in say Dallas.

    The "warm weather state" is an extremely rough proxie for level of cycling participation. Until you control for either miles, or hours, you can't have a completely accurate picture.


    We also lead the nation in lightning strike deaths, because people are outside a lot in Florida
    .
    I blame it on the old people.

  4. #29
    Peloton Dog patentcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chester, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott Foil, 2009 Scott Addict R2, 2008 Cervelo P3 TT bike, 2008 Motobecane Fly Ti Hard Tail MTB
    Posts
    56,124
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merlinextraligh View Post
    It's really not as bad as it sounds.
    It was when I was in the Naples area for a week about 15 years ago. I'm not sure why I survived.

  5. #30
    Peloton Dog patentcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chester, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott Foil, 2009 Scott Addict R2, 2008 Cervelo P3 TT bike, 2008 Motobecane Fly Ti Hard Tail MTB
    Posts
    56,124
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwrides View Post
    I blame it on the old people.
    Correct.

  6. #31
    Free Velo Vol! Velo Vol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    My Bikes
    Velo Volmobile
    Posts
    19,955
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Yet another reason not to like Florida.

  7. #32
    Jet Jockey Banzai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Leavenworth, KS
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD9 SRAM Red, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame
    Posts
    4,009
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look, I'm not standing up for TX...I hate this state. What I'm saying is that the article included a number of other states that I felt threw your hypothesis about the statistics out the door.

    I bet Dallas gets ice storms in winter. But winter is short. What about Houston? San Antonio? San Antonio gets a good nasty winter freeze once every 5 years...plus it rains/storms a heck of a lot less than in FL.

    Basically I'm saying that if you control for miles, I think the numbers are the same.

    People are outside a lot in CO...a lot more than FL. FL leads in lightning strike deaths because people are outside a lot AND there are a lot of eff-ing storms with lightning in them.

    FL leads in cycling deaths because there are a lot of people out riding AND there are a lot of eff-ing redneck drivers...and old drivers...and aggressive Miami drivers.
    Good night...and good luck

  8. #33
    Free Velo Vol! Velo Vol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    My Bikes
    Velo Volmobile
    Posts
    19,955
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Yes, that's Gator fans for you.

    Quote Originally Posted by artifice View Post
    any statistics supporting my theory that this is directly related to the population of rednecks in florida?

  9. #34
    Member malevolentoilet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    43
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  10. #35
    Senior Member powpow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    1,073
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flat. Hot. Windy. Panama City Beach.

    Yuck.

  11. #36
    ♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯ -=(8)=-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    40205 'ViLLeBiLLie
    My Bikes
    Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder
    Posts
    7,855
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I came here from Vermont I was in absolute shock at what
    I saw. Incredible. Florida is the state of de-evolution. I wrote
    Crists office and asked if its possible, given our murder rate for
    cyclists, to run some PSA's saying the guy/women you are trying
    to kill is a human, has a family, etc....The answer was astounding
    but not unexpected-----Based on a questionnaire filled out by Florida
    MOTORISTS, a majority believe bikes shouldnt be allowed on the road.
    Also, since bikes are at fault in almost 100% of the accidents with
    cars, its up to us to police ourselves. No PSA funding will happen
    -----
    This is a weird, violent kulture of consuming and hate. Another human is only
    something that holds you up on the way to a mall. Being vulnerable users,
    we suffer the most.

  12. #37
    Still can't climb
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Limey in Taiwan
    Posts
    20,505
    Mentioned
    363 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Banzai View Post
    Basically I'm saying that if you control for miles, I think the numbers are the same.

    People are outside a lot in CO...a lot more than FL. FL leads in lightning strike deaths because people are outside a lot AND there are a lot of eff-ing storms with lightning in them.

    FL leads in cycling deaths because there are a lot of people out riding AND there are a lot of eff-ing redneck drivers...and old drivers...and aggressive Miami drivers.
    lies, damn lies and statistics.

  13. #38
    Senior Member kwrides's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    My Bikes
    2007 Orbea Onix, 2007 Windsor The Hour, 2008 Kona Jake
    Posts
    3,199
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Banzai View Post
    Look, I'm not standing up for TX...I hate this state. What I'm saying is that the article included a number of other states that I felt threw your hypothesis about the statistics out the door.

    I bet Dallas gets ice storms in winter. But winter is short. What about Houston? San Antonio? San Antonio gets a good nasty winter freeze once every 5 years...plus it rains/storms a heck of a lot less than in FL.

    Basically I'm saying that if you control for miles, I think the numbers are the same.

    People are outside a lot in CO...a lot more than FL. FL leads in lightning strike deaths because people are outside a lot AND there are a lot of eff-ing storms with lightning in them.

    FL leads in cycling deaths because there are a lot of people out riding AND there are a lot of eff-ing redneck drivers...and old drivers...and aggressive Miami drivers.
    PLEASE, don't use Houston in your argument. This is NOT a safe place to ride.

  14. #39
    Senior Member kwrides's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    My Bikes
    2007 Orbea Onix, 2007 Windsor The Hour, 2008 Kona Jake
    Posts
    3,199
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powpow View Post
    Flat. Hot. Windy. Panama City Beach.

    Yuck.
    Drive north 60 minutes. Hills and farmland. Great riding.

  15. #40
    Harsh Generation Benjamin11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Lake City, FL
    My Bikes
    GMC Yukon XL
    Posts
    178
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwrides View Post
    Drive north 60 minutes. Hills and farmland. Great riding.


    this.
    Quote Originally Posted by coasting View Post
    i climb at <10 mph. you want to take this outside?

  16. #41
    Jet Jockey Banzai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Leavenworth, KS
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD9 SRAM Red, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame
    Posts
    4,009
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwrides View Post
    PLEASE, don't use Houston in your argument. This is NOT a safe place to ride.
    That's kinda my point. It's still safer than FL.
    Good night...and good luck

  17. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Garland, TX
    Posts
    114
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merlinextraligh View Post
    Virutally all of Florida is temperate during the Winter. Large portions of Texas, and Calfornia don't have a climate that leads to recreational riding all year long. Doesn't Dallas get ice storms in the winter?

    Certainly you can ride in Texas in the winter, but that doesn't mean there are a lot of casual cyclists and children doing it ,and those are the groups that make up the bulk of the fatalities. I'm pretty sure on a given January day there are more people cycling in So Fl than in say Dallas.

    The "warm weather state" is an extremely rough proxie for level of cycling participation. Until you control for either miles, or hours, you can't have a completely accurate picture.

    We also lead the nation in lightning strike deaths, because people are outside a lot in Florida.
    Dallas typically gets 1, maybe 2, ice storms a year. The ice usually is gone in 24-36 hours. We also get several 70+ degree days each winter. Highs are in the upper 50s and lower 60s for most of January. Some of the state (e.g. Amarillo) does get a lot of winter weather. However, most of the population is in the eastern and southern portions of Texas, which have much milder winters.

    Doesn't it rain a lot in Florida? I would think that would limit riding just as much as the winters in the states located in more arid regions.

    edit: Beaten like a red-headed stepchild...

  18. #43
    Jet Jockey Banzai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Leavenworth, KS
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD9 SRAM Red, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame
    Posts
    4,009
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by -=(8)=- View Post
    When I came here from Vermont I was in absolute shock at what
    I saw. Incredible. Florida is the state of de-evolution. I wrote
    Crists office and asked if its possible, given our murder rate for
    cyclists, to run some PSA's saying the guy/women you are trying
    to kill is a human, has a family, etc....The answer was astounding
    but not unexpected-----Based on a questionnaire filled out by Florida
    MOTORISTS, a majority believe bikes shouldnt be allowed on the road.
    Also, since bikes are at fault in almost 100% of the accidents with
    cars, its up to us to police ourselves. No PSA funding will happen
    -----
    This is a weird, violent kulture of consuming and hate. Another human is only
    something that holds you up on the way to a mall. Being vulnerable users,
    we suffer the most.
    Do you still have the original answer? That would be a good one to send to some publication. Maybe even Bicycling, since they've been doing a lot more advocacy lately.
    Good night...and good luck

  19. #44
    ♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯ -=(8)=-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    40205 'ViLLeBiLLie
    My Bikes
    Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder
    Posts
    7,855
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ridethepanther View Post
    Dallas typically gets 1, maybe 2, ice storms a year. The ice usually is gone in 24-36 hours. We also get several 70+ degree days each winter. Highs are in the upper 50s and lower 60s for most of January. Some of the state (e.g. Amarillo) does get a lot of winter weather. However, most of the population is in the eastern and southern portions of Texas, which have much milder winters.

    Doesn't it rain a lot in Florida? I would think that would limit riding just as much as the winters in the states located in more arid regions.

    edit: Beaten like a red-headed stepchild...
    There is a rainy season in FL but when it happens you really dont mind it.
    It feels good. Obviously, the torrential stuff is not fun, but the rainy season
    rains are usually short 15 minute drenchings throughout the day that the sun
    stays out for. When its 95 degrees, and you have 5 more miles to go, its refreshing.

  20. #45
    ♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯ -=(8)=-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    40205 'ViLLeBiLLie
    My Bikes
    Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder
    Posts
    7,855
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Banzai View Post
    Do you still have the original answer? That would be a good one to send to some publication. Maybe even Bicycling, since they've been doing a lot more advocacy lately.
    Ill comb through my emails and see. I got it almost 2 years ago.
    Im sure not much has changed since then

  21. #46
    Senior Member mrbUSA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Pompano Beach
    My Bikes
    Scott CR1 Home Spun
    Posts
    1,308
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spirit Crushing Wind
    Blue Hairs
    Silver Hairs
    No Hairs
    Persons driving in Haitian
    Spirit Crushing Wind
    Persons driving in Cuban
    Persons driving in Venezuelan
    Persons driving in Honduran
    Spirit Crushing Wind
    Persons driving in Jamaican
    Persons driving in Nicaraguan
    Persons driving in many other South American Countries
    Spirit Crushing Wind
    No habla Englais del libro de automobile
    Yenta's on cell phones
    Shapiro's on cell phones
    Any nationality on cell phones
    In fact all of the above on cell phones
    Spirit Crushing Wind
    Red Necks
    Pseudo Red Necks
    People driving that have way more important places to be than anyone else
    Spirit Crushing Wind
    Yesterday your in your mother land feeding hay to your mode of transportation
    Today your on the road coming up behind me with no auto experience
    Spirit Crushing Wind
    There's more. You just caught me on a good day.

    Sincerely,

    A. Bunker

    Oh, did I mention: Spirit Crushing Wind?

  22. #47
    **** that mattm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    CALI
    Posts
    11,290
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powpow View Post
    Flat. Hot. Windy. Panama City Beach.

    Yuck.
    ah, the Redneck Riveria, good times...
    cat 1.

    blog

  23. #48
    . Namenda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    "The Woo", MA
    Posts
    4,830
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbUSA View Post
    Spirit Crushing Wind
    Blue Hairs
    Silver Hairs
    No Hairs
    Persons driving in Haitian
    Spirit Crushing Wind
    Persons driving in Cuban
    Persons driving in Venezuelan
    Persons driving in Honduran
    Spirit Crushing Wind
    Persons driving in Jamaican
    Persons driving in Nicaraguan
    Persons driving in many other South American Countries
    Spirit Crushing Wind
    No habla Englais del libro de automobile
    Yenta's on cell phones
    Shapiro's on cell phones
    Any nationality on cell phones
    In fact all of the above on cell phones
    Spirit Crushing Wind
    Red Necks
    Pseudo Red Necks
    People driving that have way more important places to be than anyone else
    Spirit Crushing Wind
    Yesterday your in your mother land feeding hay to your mode of transportation
    Today your on the road coming up behind me with no auto experience
    Spirit Crushing Wind
    There's more. You just caught me on a good day.

    Sincerely,

    A. Bunker

    Oh, did I mention: Spirit Crushing Wind?
    ^^^All of that, plus a high rate of drunks on the road. And people who drive too fricking fast.

  24. #49
    Senior Member mrbUSA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Pompano Beach
    My Bikes
    Scott CR1 Home Spun
    Posts
    1,308
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Namenda View Post
    ^^^All of that, plus a high rate of drunks on the road. And people who drive too fricking fast.
    D@mmit, those were on the tip of my index fingers. Thanks however.

  25. #50
    My idea of fun kensuf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    My Bikes
    '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey
    Posts
    9,754
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by artifice View Post
    any statistics supporting my theory that this is directly related to the population of rednecks in florida?
    Will you guys quit posting pictures of me and my friends outside of the Jax stadium all over the internet already?
    Putting the Duh in Floriduh.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •