Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 179
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Bullet PROOF Road Racing Tires?

    Hey Guys,& Gals,

    Need a Lil honest advice on respectable Road/Race Tires...

    Recently got a ALL Carbon Bike only to learn THE HARD WAY that they too come with CHEAP Tires,& Tubes!

    WIPED OUT! HAMMERING a turn on a Downhill Slant,front tire Blew out INSTANTLY while COMPLETELY Commited to the Corner.

    I can say this,There is a MINUS to EXTREMELY Light Bikes.Flipped from one 45degree angle to another in the BLINK of an Eye,and came CRASHING down on my Left Shoulder,& the Top of my head still mounted to the Steed!

    Road Rash,skidding Grinding yeah,& MULTIPLE Chiroractor Visits.

    Shoulders back in place,but the Collarbone may NEVER be...

    At any rate,I know there's been MUCH discussion on tires,& I know a LOT of you have had a GREAT Deal of trial,& error with tires,& tubes.And I know a lot of you experience similar riding conditions.

    However after POURING through the posts I've found that a LOT of the recomended eqpt. is no longer in production,or has particular drawbacks.

    Such as the Conti Gators poking holes in the tubes from the inside bead etc...

    Regardless I'm STILL in the same Boat!

    I need a Bullet PROOF Tire in the Sidewalls as well as the center.One that has low Rolling Resistace in the Center,& HUGS a turn with the Sidewalls sticking to the Tarmac like GLUE!

    LOTS of road debris,shards of gravel Spit,& Washed out onto the roads,broken glass you name it.
    Not to Mention SERIOUS hills in my area.

    Practically RIPPED a tire off of the Rim Hammering a Sharp Uphill turn at the Lip.After quick correction I saw the tire wobble from left to right.

    I'm 6'4" 210lbs,solid,& Fairly Fit.I tend to outwork EVERY tool I use in life so Cycling I expect to be the same to a degree.I ride FAST,& HARD.Slamdancing would probably define my style of riding best.ESPECIALLY in turns.

    Not sure that there's ANYTING in production out there that can keep up with me,but I at least have to try,& get my Paws on whatevers the closest to it.

    I REALLY would appreciate ALL useful Input on the subject of Dependable Tubes,& Tires in the 23-25cm range usable under EXTREME Road Riding/Racing Conditions.

    Cheerz,
    Chaz

  2. #2
    Senior Member Booger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    My Bikes
    KHS Flite 750
    Posts
    1,021
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Post of the month.

  3. #3
    gmt Grumpy McTrumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Binghamton, NY
    Posts
    11,956
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bullet vs. tire


    bullet wins


    seriously, use a well-glued tubular when you race. if they flat, they will stay attached.

  4. #4
    Senior Member melkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    My Bikes
    2006 Fuji Roubaix Pro, 2008 Giant Trance X2, 2009 Giant Seek 1
    Posts
    125
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zeleuo View Post
    Not sure that there's ANYTING in production out there that can keep up with me,but I at least have to try,& get my Paws on whatevers the closest to it.
    Thanks for giving me a new quote for my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by edbikebabe View Post
    You're totally ruining this thread with your logical & rational thought. Stop it.

  5. #5
    Lost AngryScientist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    nutley, nj
    Posts
    4,450
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bulletproof is the most overused term in the sport. no tire is bulletproof, everything is a trade-off of some kind.

  6. #6
    grilled cheesus aham23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    8675309
    My Bikes
    2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport
    Posts
    6,933
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zeleuo View Post
    Hey Guys,& Gals,

    ....I'm 6'4" 210lbs,solid,& Fairly Fit.I tend to outwork EVERY tool I use in life so Cycling I expect to be the same to a degree.I ride FAST,& HARD.Slamdancing would probably define my style of riding best.ESPECIALLY in turns.


    Cheerz,
    Chaz


    my favorite part.

    later.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    835
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only tire that can keep up with MY world-class ROAD-SLAMMING DEMANDS as one of the planet's GREATEST, toughest (yet unknown) riders is the Vredestein Fortezza SuperLite. http://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._400013_400235

    Seriously, I weigh about 200 aszkicking POUNDS, and have been riding these tires HARD and through CRAP that would have flatted the conti GPs I used to run all the time -- even when I'm using the LIGHTEST conti race tubes on the market.

    They corner better than any non-tubular tire I've ever ridden and the rolling resistance feels low to the conti GP 4000 and 3000 I've ridden. And I'm TOUGH on tires. TOUGH!

    At 180g per tire, I can't believe how tough they are... almost as INCREDIBLY badazs and BULLETPROOF as I am.



    Hope this helps.


    .
    Last edited by SPlKE; 07-07-09 at 03:53 PM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Madison, WI
    My Bikes
    '09 Trek 7.5FX, '09 Cannondale CAAD9-5
    Posts
    166
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The grammar and Capitalizations in This Post are AMAZING.You know,

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    835
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MadGrad View Post
    The grammar and Capitalizations in This Post are AMAZING.You know,
    I sometimes HAMMER THE KEYS as hard as I HAMMER on my BIKE, which is to say, HARD! REAL hard!

  10. #10
    Senior Member MONGO!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    4,279
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's nothing in production that can keep up with you, sorry.

  11. #11
    Packfodding 3 caloso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Sacramento, California, USA
    My Bikes
    Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper
    Posts
    30,301
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Conti GP4000s. I don't know about slamdancing, but they're good cornering and good wearing tires. I uses Specialized tubes because that's what the LBS carries. I think they're all the same, anyway.
    Cyclists of the world, unite! You have nothing to lube but your chains!

  12. #12
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,338
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zeleuo View Post
    Bullet PROOF Road Racing Tires?

  13. #13
    hobo grahny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,781
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zeleuo View Post
    I tend to outwork EVERY tool I use in life... Slamdancing would probably define my style of riding best.

  14. #14
    Senior Member mugatu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    1,005
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a fat friend that decimated bottom brackets because he "slamdanced" on his bike. He stopped riding and is still fat.

  15. #15
    kila kila kila
    Guest
    FYI: 19 out of 26 sentences contained EXTREME words, averaging 1.9 per sentence.

  16. #16
    Senior Member liquefied's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    1,305
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lose the tires and ride the rims brah, no more flats!

  17. #17
    ..... Jynx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Long Island
    My Bikes
    2006 Cannondale CAAD8
    Posts
    4,823
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zeleuo View Post
    Hey Guys,& Gals,

    Need a Lil honest advice on respectable Road/Race Tires...

    Recently got a ALL Carbon Bike only to learn THE HARD WAY that they too come with CHEAP Tires,& Tubes!

    WIPED OUT! HAMMERING a turn on a Downhill Slant,front tire Blew out INSTANTLY while COMPLETELY Commited to the Corner.

    I can say this,There is a MINUS to EXTREMELY Light Bikes.Flipped from one 45degree angle to another in the BLINK of an Eye,and came CRASHING down on my Left Shoulder,& the Top of my head still mounted to the Steed!

    Road Rash,skidding Grinding yeah,& MULTIPLE Chiroractor Visits.

    Shoulders back in place,but the Collarbone may NEVER be...

    At any rate,I know there's been MUCH discussion on tires,& I know a LOT of you have had a GREAT Deal of trial,& error with tires,& tubes.And I know a lot of you experience similar riding conditions.

    However after POURING through the posts I've found that a LOT of the recomended eqpt. is no longer in production,or has particular drawbacks.

    Such as the Conti Gators poking holes in the tubes from the inside bead etc...

    Regardless I'm STILL in the same Boat!

    I need a Bullet PROOF Tire in the Sidewalls as well as the center.One that has low Rolling Resistace in the Center,& HUGS a turn with the Sidewalls sticking to the Tarmac like GLUE!

    LOTS of road debris,shards of gravel Spit,& Washed out onto the roads,broken glass you name it.
    Not to Mention SERIOUS hills in my area.

    Practically RIPPED a tire off of the Rim Hammering a Sharp Uphill turn at the Lip.After quick correction I saw the tire wobble from left to right.

    I'm 6'4" 210lbs,solid,& Fairly Fit.I tend to outwork EVERY tool I use in life so Cycling I expect to be the same to a degree.I ride FAST,& HARD.Slamdancing would probably define my style of riding best.ESPECIALLY in turns.

    Not sure that there's ANYTING in production out there that can keep up with me,but I at least have to try,& get my Paws on whatevers the closest to it.

    I REALLY would appreciate ALL useful Input on the subject of Dependable Tubes,& Tires in the 23-25cm range usable under EXTREME Road Riding/Racing Conditions.

    Cheerz,
    Chaz
    First, quoted so you can't change it.

    Second, this could be one of the greatest posts yet.

    This is for you!


  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Madison, WI
    My Bikes
    '09 Trek 7.5FX, '09 Cannondale CAAD9-5
    Posts
    166
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Jynx. I think we've reached a new level of epic-ness. It's so... EPIC!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubby View Post
    I am AMAZED that your SHIFT KEY has not turned into a piece of JELLO after being BODYSLAMMED so HARD!!!!

  19. #19
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Portland, OR
    My Bikes
    Cervelo Soloist Team / Handbuilt fixie
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Specialized Armadillo tires.
    If those are to heavy, I've had a great time with the Schwalbe Ultremo DDs

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    104
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn it I just spent 100 dollars on a pair of Conti Gatorskins!!!! If that doesn't greatly reduce the flats then the whole bike is going in the ditch!!!!

  21. #21
    Senior Member Steev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Backwoods of Ontario
    Posts
    2,139
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goose5 View Post
    Damn it I just spent 100 dollars on a pair of Conti Gatorskins!!!! If that doesn't greatly reduce the flats then the whole bike is going in the ditch!!!!
    Would you mind telling me exactly which ditch it's going in?
    Oh, and what size frame is it?

  22. #22
    It's ALL base... DScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    6,717
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zeleuo View Post
    and came CRASHING down on my Left Shoulder,& the Top of my head still mounted to the Steed!

    ...

    Cheerz,
    Chaz
    This explains alot.

    Although, I'm still unclear why the Top of your head was mounted to your Steed. Wouldn't you have been more comfortable sitting on the saddle?

  23. #23
    Senior Member willdtw's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Fair Oaks, Ca
    My Bikes
    Scattante CFR Sport
    Posts
    70
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zeleuo View Post
    hey guys,& gals,

    need a lil honest advice on respectable road/race tires...

    Recently got a all carbon bike only to learn the hard way that they too come with cheap tires,& tubes!

    Wiped out! Hammering a turn on a downhill slant,front tire blew out instantly while completely commited to the corner.

    I can say this,there is a minus to extremely light bikes.flipped from one 45degree angle to another in the blink of an eye,and came crashing down on my left shoulder,& the top of my head still mounted to the steed!

    Road rash,skidding grinding yeah,& multiple chiroractor visits.

    Shoulders back in place,but the collarbone may never be...

    At any rate,i know there's been much discussion on tires,& i know a lot of you have had a great deal of trial,& error with tires,& tubes.and i know a lot of you experience similar riding conditions.

    However after pouring through the posts i've found that a lot of the recomended eqpt. Is no longer in production,or has particular drawbacks.

    Such as the conti gators poking holes in the tubes from the inside bead etc...

    Regardless i'm still in the same boat!

    I need a bullet proof tire in the sidewalls as well as the center.one that has low rolling resistace in the center,& hugs a turn with the sidewalls sticking to the tarmac like glue!

    Lots of road debris,shards of gravel spit,& washed out onto the roads,broken glass you name it.
    Not to mention serious hills in my area.

    Practically ripped a tire off of the rim hammering a sharp uphill turn at the lip.after quick correction i saw the tire wobble from left to right.

    i'm 6'4" 210lbs,solid,& fairly fit.i tend to outwork every tool i use in life so cycling i expect to be the same to a degree.i ride fast,& hard.slamdancing would probably define my style of riding best.especially in turns.

    not sure that there's anyting in production out there that can keep up with me,but i at least have to try,& get my paws on whatevers the closest to it.

    I really would appreciate all useful input on the subject of dependable tubes,& tires in the 23-25cm range usable under extreme road riding/racing conditions.

    Cheerz,
    chaz
    eexxttrreemmee!!!!!!

  24. #24
    Cabrőnista™ dprayvd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    a high fructose corn, olé!
    Posts
    436
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MadGrad View Post
    I agree with Jynx. I think we've reached a new level of epic-ness. It's so... EPIC!

    I'm gettin' all misty-eyed.


    .
    .


    What is 50 miles of good road? Yes, I call it a very easy distance.

  25. #25
    It's ALL base... DScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    6,717
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just wonder if Our Hero has the BALLS to keep POSTING,or if he's really just an outworked TOOL making his FIRST and only post.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •