Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 102 of 358 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152202 ... LastLast
Results 2,526 to 2,550 of 8934
  1. #2526
    Senior Member DGlenday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek
    Posts
    1,105
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGen View Post
    ...I don't know if REI has trained sales personnel for that.
    REI is the only place I'll go for hiking and mountain climbing equipment. I've tried the rest, and REI blows them away - particularly in terms of the employee's hands-on knowledge of the products, their customer service, and their returns policy.

    But I've tried 3 separate REIs for cycling equipment and advice - and they can't hold a candle to a decent LBS.

    Yes, I know that there are big differences between individual stores - but my point is that it would be wise to research purchases extensively before deciding to shop for bikes at REI.
    Regards,
    Duncan

  2. #2527
    CAADdict 2ndGen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    BF Heaven
    My Bikes
    2009 Cannondale CAAD9-?
    Posts
    6,756
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I <3 Robots View Post
    105 according to the Total Cycling chart is 2624. Rival is 2244, then minus the weight of the Rival crank from the Force. The Rival CAAD has a pretty decent drop in weight over the 105 model.

    totalcycling.
    Great source.




    Quote Originally Posted by DGlenday View Post
    REI is the only place I'll go for hiking and mountain climbing equipment. I've tried the rest, and REI blows them away - particularly in terms of the employee's hands-on knowledge of the products, their customer service, and their returns policy.

    But I've tried 3 separate REIs for cycling equipment and advice - and they can't hold a candle to a decent LBS.

    Yes, I know that there are big differences between individual stores - but my point is that it would be wise to research purchases extensively before deciding to shop for bikes at REI.
    I know. I was trying to be "gentle" about it my 'department store vs LBS comparison'.
    (And I totally agree with you.)
    Last edited by 2ndGen; 12-21-11 at 06:58 PM.

  3. #2528
    moth -----> flame Beaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    My Bikes
    11 CAAD 10-4, 07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 98 Peugeot Horizon
    Posts
    5,909
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by twentysomething View Post
    I'm 6'2" with a 33' inseam. I wonder if I could ride a 56? I currently have a 58 Synapse and 58 Madone BUT....

    REI (I know, I know) has taken a CAAD 10 frame and built it up with 105 components and Easton wheels and its $1,100. Seems too good to be true but it was a replacement frame someone didn't want. Just don't know if I can do a 56.
    Agree with others about REI, but that price is pretty good. In your shoes I'd consider test riding to get a sense of the fit. If that was OK, buy it in the knowledge that they'll definitely let you return it if you're not satisfied. Alternatively, I'm sure you could sell it for $1,100 too.

  4. #2529
    Seņor Blues on the path's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    upstate NY
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10
    Posts
    1,006
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGen View Post
    Well, you have to compare apples to apples, not apples to oranges. Besides frames, there are groupsets to consider (full 105 is about a pound heavier than Dura Ace. You have mixed 105 which is going to be even heavier than full 105). Wheelsets, tires, saddle, bars and even skewers make big differences.

    My CAAD9 fully loaded (cages, computer, micro pump,
    empty bottles, loaded Lezyne Micro Caddy
    ) is 18.5lbs.

    105 seems to be 2,481g.
    Dura-Ace 7900 is 2087g.
    That alone is worth 394g or .86 lbs.

    [You'll find a lot of sub-16lbs CAAD9's with some as low as 13lbs @ WW.]
    Uh, you weren't comparing apples to apples either. And if you check the chronology of the posts you'll understand that I was commenting on bike you linked to, not on your personal bike.

    The photo in said link shows a bike with no pedals (kinda hard to ride without them). If the stated weight, 17.08 lbs. is without pedals then it's a bit easier to believe. But it still doesn't seem right. I'll stay with my original statement that the weight quoted in that link is probably for a very small frame.

    I know that people get off on talking about how light their bikes can be. I was talking about what my bike weighs when I get on it to ride. Yes, the computer weighs a couple of grams. I keep some tools & gear on my person, and for the majority of my riding I don't even take a water bottle.

  5. #2530
    CAADdict 2ndGen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    BF Heaven
    My Bikes
    2009 Cannondale CAAD9-?
    Posts
    6,756
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by on the path View Post
    I'll stay with my original statement that the weight quoted in that link is probably for a very small frame.
    If you would've read the link, you'd see that it was for a 54cm.
    Is that your definition of "very small"?
    Last edited by 2ndGen; 12-21-11 at 09:41 PM.

  6. #2531
    Seņor Blues on the path's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    upstate NY
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10
    Posts
    1,006
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGen View Post
    If you would've read the link, you'd see that it was for a 54cm.
    Is that your definition of "very small"?
    The body of the article doesn't really address the weight issue. I suppose the test bike had pedals. I still find the stated weight to be problematic.

    You probably know that Cannondale does not claim total bicycle weights in their advertising and they are very clear as to why they don't. Even though the article is about a Cannondale bike, the lack of any clarity as far as how the stated weight of the bike was arrived at, is precisely why Cannondale doesn't make claims about the weight of their bikes. And this is one of the things that I appreciate about Cannondale.

  7. #2532
    CAADdict 2ndGen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    BF Heaven
    My Bikes
    2009 Cannondale CAAD9-?
    Posts
    6,756
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by on the path View Post
    The body of the article doesn't really address the weight issue. I suppose the test bike had pedals. I still find the stated weight to be problematic.

    You probably know that Cannondale does not claim total bicycle weights in their advertising and they are very clear as to why they don't. Even though the article is about a Cannondale bike, the lack of any clarity as far as how the stated weight of the bike was arrived at, is precisely why Cannondale doesn't make claims about the weight of their bikes. And this is one of the things that I appreciate about Cannondale.
    So would that be a yes or a no?


  8. #2533
    Senior Member ussprinceton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC 27705 USA
    Posts
    190
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ..it was a high of 67 F here in Durham, NC area today...but, it was raining...I didn't feel like taking a chance in ruining my wheels...

  9. #2534
    CAADdict 2ndGen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    BF Heaven
    My Bikes
    2009 Cannondale CAAD9-?
    Posts
    6,756
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ussprinceton View Post
    ..it was a high of 67 F here in Durham, NC area today...but, it was raining...
    Same deal here. It got up to 65 in WV, but rainy.
    Still, it's been surprisingly mild for this time of year.
    I was itching to get a CX bike, but will be MTBing it this winter.

  10. #2535
    spookeaymarine.info Spookeay Bird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Me, I'm in Central Alabama C.S.A. But my husband is under the bed. He's sure there is a black helicopter orbiting our house.
    My Bikes
    Schwin,Ross,Cannondale.
    Posts
    1,009
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wings...All Bikes need big blue wings.... and that's all I got to say about that now.

    In order by year
    2011 Schwinn Varsity
    2010 Cannondale CAAD8
    2010 Cannondale CAAD9
    2004 Cannondale Warrior 1000
    1977 Pro Cycle Racy Rabbit
    1972 Ross Euro-tourer
    1967 Schwinn Breeze
    1950 J.C. Higgins Colourflow

  11. #2536
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    My Bikes
    Specialized Sirrus Sport, Kona Kahuna 29er, Santa Cruz Nickel 650b, Cannondale CAAD 10
    Posts
    154
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys, I recently got myself a great craigslist find, a 2011 CAAD10 5 105! I'm super excited for winter to be over so I can start putting some miles on it. I have a set of easton wheels to replace the stock wheels. Looking to replace the stem, bars, and seatpost to lighten the bike up and personalize it. Any suggestions?

  12. #2537
    Senior Member hendrick81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sandy Eggo
    My Bikes
    2006 caad8, 2010 caad9 1, 2011 caad10 4
    Posts
    2,123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookeay Bird View Post
    YEA! GO 9s! U.S.A, U.S.A, U.S.A, U.S.A, U.S.A, U.S.A!
    And BTW,,,, GO NAVY~!

    It looks like you pee'd your pant's spookey turd???


    Mod Edit: Posting insults is bad. Just say'n.
    Last edited by Walter; 12-22-11 at 07:03 AM.

  13. #2538
    CAADdict 2ndGen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    BF Heaven
    My Bikes
    2009 Cannondale CAAD9-?
    Posts
    6,756
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Triaxtremec View Post
    Hey guys, I recently got myself a great craigslist find, a 2011 CAAD10 5 105! I'm super excited for winter to be over so I can start putting some miles on it. I have a set of easton wheels to replace the stock wheels. Looking to replace the stem, bars, and seatpost to lighten the bike up and personalize it. Any suggestions?
    You can't tell us you got a score without telling us how much you paid for it!

    And, congrats! Welcome to The Fraternity!
    Of course, that membership is conditional (pics please!).

    Stem/Bars/Post, I went full carbon.
    If your goal is weight savings first,
    aluminum is for you (and it's cheaper).
    My goal was making my CAAD9 more comfortable.

  14. #2539
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    South Louisiana
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD9
    Posts
    4,101
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by twentysomething View Post
    I'm 6'2" with a 33' inseam. I wonder if I could ride a 56? I currently have a 58 Synapse and 58 Madone BUT....

    REI (I know, I know) has taken a CAAD 10 frame and built it up with 105 components and Easton wheels and its $1,100. Seems too good to be true but it was a replacement frame someone didn't want. Just don't know if I can do a 56.
    First, I'm guessing that you meant a 33" inseam.

    I'm 6'2" and have about the same inseam. I had a 58cm CAAD9 and had to move up in size. Granted, for me it was more due to head tube length since I ride with only 6cm of bar drop, but both of your present bikes have taller head tubes than the 58cm CAAD9; the 56cm version would be shorter still. The CAAD frame is sweet, but only if it fits.
    Regards,
    Chuck

    Demain, on roule!

  15. #2540
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Pensacola, Fl
    My Bikes
    `10 Cannondale Quick CX Rigid `99 Gary Fisher Joshua F4, `10 Cannondale Synapse 6, 2012 Cannondale Caad 10-5
    Posts
    242
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Edit, the mod fixed it
    Last edited by Vaportrail56; 12-22-11 at 08:37 AM.

  16. #2541
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    My Bikes
    Specialized Sirrus Sport, Kona Kahuna 29er, Santa Cruz Nickel 650b, Cannondale CAAD 10
    Posts
    154
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGen View Post
    You can't tell us you got a score without telling us how much you paid for it!

    And, congrats! Welcome to The Fraternity!
    Of course, that membership is conditional (pics please!).

    Stem/Bars/Post, I went full carbon.
    If your goal is weight savings first,
    aluminum is for you (and it's cheaper).
    My goal was making my CAAD9 more comfortable.
    Thanks, I got the bike for $450! Pics to come, its at the shop getting my wheels swapped out and new bar tape put on.

  17. #2542
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    CAAD10 5, Trek 1000 Alpha Series
    Posts
    512
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    officially drinking the kool-aid! rode the caad10 105, red, and rival today and will be getting the 5 in january



  18. #2543
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    39
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Triaxtremec View Post
    Thanks, I got the bike for $450! Pics to come, its at the shop getting my wheels swapped out and new bar tape put on.
    wow that is a deal!

  19. #2544
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    631
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Triaxtremec View Post
    Thanks, I got the bike for $450! Pics to come, its at the shop getting my wheels swapped out and new bar tape put on.
    $450? Incredible deal if it's in good condition. What size? If you say 58 I'll be jealous.

  20. #2545
    Seņor Blues on the path's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    upstate NY
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10
    Posts
    1,006
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aquateen View Post
    officially drinking the kool-aid! rode the caad10 105, red, and rival today and will be getting the 5 in january


    Drink up. It's yummy

  21. #2546
    Seņor Blues on the path's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    upstate NY
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10
    Posts
    1,006
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Triaxtremec View Post
    Thanks, I got the bike for $450!
    Ride it like you stole it. Actually, it seems like somebody did..

  22. #2547
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    SoCal T.O.
    My Bikes
    CAAD9-6, 13' Dawes Haymaker 1500
    Posts
    2,173
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by on the path View Post
    Ride it like you stole it. Actually, it seems like somebody did..
    My friend bought a Specialized Allez full SRAM Force from ebay for $550.......
    Cannondale CAAD9
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
    I know but this is BF.

  23. #2548
    CAADdict 2ndGen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    BF Heaven
    My Bikes
    2009 Cannondale CAAD9-?
    Posts
    6,756
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Triaxtremec View Post
    Thanks, I got the bike for $450! Pics to come, its at the shop getting my wheels swapped out and new bar tape put on.

  24. #2549
    Senior Member ussprinceton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC 27705 USA
    Posts
    190
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ..wow!..a CAAD 10 5 for $450?!..what size?...can you tell us why the seller was selling it for such a low price?..any damage, dents, etc., maybe stolen?..haha
    Last edited by ussprinceton; 12-22-11 at 04:44 PM.

  25. #2550
    CAADdict 2ndGen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    BF Heaven
    My Bikes
    2009 Cannondale CAAD9-?
    Posts
    6,756
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aquateen View Post
    officially drinking the kool-aid! rode the caad10 105, red, and rival today and will be getting the 5 in january



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •