Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (http://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/)
-   -   The Cult of CAAD... (http://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/681944-cult-caad.html)

roadandmountain 09-21-10 10:33 PM

I test rode a 'dale years and years ago. The ridiculous amount of vibration and harshness has to be experienced first hand to be believed.

Cannondale used to cater to a segment of over-weight riders who needed a super stiff frame. However, since the average american is now very overweight, I guess they cater to the average american buyer. Cannondale is an american institution, kinda like Mcdonald's and Krispy Kreme, :rolleyes:

pigmode 09-21-10 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadandmountain (Post 11504347)
Cannondale used to cater to a segment of over-weight riders who needed a super stiff frame. However, since the average american is now very overweight, I guess they cater to the average american buyer.


Actually not. As an American Co. they subscribed early on to the successful marketing concept of "more is better". You know the same concept that relabeled the 4 valve-per-cylinder engine as a 16v or a 32v. If you remember the Pepperoni fork, it was in the mid 80's that they started going to bigger and bigger and stiffer tubes. It took their involvement with the euro peloton to set them straight, and even then it took time. Their early Paris-Roubaix bikes with the mountain bike suspended front end did not go too far, dud.

The CAAD 10 definitely looks good--I like the changes they made--we'll see how the auction goes.

roadandmountain 09-22-10 12:11 AM

Actually, they didn't market their bikes as "more is better." They marketed their bikes as super light alu. That was their trick: "less is more."

It was up to the actual dealers to get word out and "warn" prospective buyers that they best served heavier riders.

Then, riders (and bike rags) began to put a positive spin on all this: i.e., 'dales transfer power directly, and such nonsense.

The various lies of cannondale marketing were exposed over time:

a. 'dales are super light bikes (not any lighter than other alu bikes with similar tube dimensions)
b. superior power transfer (not really: some flexibility ensures energy rebound through each stroke)
c. big tubes must be super durable: actually their tube walls were super thin, hence more easily dented)

What's really bizarre is how this forum in particular has fallen into groupthink labeling this bike as some sort of superior value. It's a niche bike, which serves certain riders well (heavy riders, crit mashers), at the cost of serious deficiencies in the eyes of other types of riders (lighter riders, century riders, riders who don't want to feel a pebble shaking their innards).

fauxto nick 09-22-10 12:46 AM

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/a...g?t=1285137978

In the last two days I rode about 130 miles and climbed 12,000 ft on this to cap off the week for about 14 hours. Stop being sissys.

colombo357 09-22-10 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fauxto nick (Post 11504668)
http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/a...g?t=1285137978

In the last two days I rode about 130 miles and climbed 12,000 ft on this to cap off the week for about 14 hours. Stop being sissys.

Goofiest looking saddle and bars EVER.

colombo357 09-22-10 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyciumX (Post 11503927)
http://i55.tinypic.com/2wh00tw.jpg

Yeah, I know.... Its just so damn beautiful...ha ha ha. I officially have a beater bike now. Running true fixed @ 50x15

...oh and theres a Caad9 in the background

Fixie Scattante with funny bars and a Trek Y-foil?

Nice taste in bikes!

Nice fridge decals too!

2ndGen 09-22-10 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadandmountain (Post 11504626)
Actually, they didn't market their bikes as "more is better." They marketed their bikes as super light alu. That was their trick: "less is more."

It was up to the actual dealers to get word out and "warn" prospective buyers that they best served heavier riders.

Then, riders (and bike rags) began to put a positive spin on all this: i.e., 'dales transfer power directly, and such nonsense.

The various lies of cannondale marketing were exposed over time:

a. 'dales are super light bikes (not any lighter than other alu bikes with similar tube dimensions)
b. superior power transfer (not really: some flexibility ensures energy rebound through each stroke)
c. big tubes must be super durable: actually their tube walls were super thin, hence more easily dented)

What's really bizarre is how this forum in particular has fallen into groupthink labeling this bike as some sort of superior value. It's a niche bike, which serves certain riders well (heavy riders, crit mashers), at the cost of serious deficiencies in the eyes of other types of riders (lighter riders, century riders, riders who don't want to feel a pebble shaking their innards).

In other words, people recognizing a bike that does precisely what it was designed to do well.

:)

Falcon701 09-22-10 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike868y (Post 11501968)

This is the model I ordered yesterday. I wanted the black/white paint but the lbs called c-dale and they were told it wouldn't ship until late November. I didn't want to wait that long.
I'll post pics as soon as possible.

cyclingd 09-22-10 07:54 AM

Didn't read the Cannondale marketing promo. But being ignorant of the brand, from what I've read on this thread is they sell a super stiff aluminium frame at a elevated price. Does each successive CAAD series get lighter and stiffer?

Are their mtn bikes also super stiff?

Falcon701 09-22-10 08:08 AM

Specs on the CAAD10 - 4.

http://www.cannondale.com/usa/usaeng...AAD-10-4-Rival

I believe they have a typo in there. It list the shifters as "Shimano Rival".

pigmode 09-22-10 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyclingd (Post 11505451)
Didn't read the Cannondale marketing promo. But being ignorant of the brand, from what I've read on this thread is they sell a super stiff aluminium frame at a elevated price. Does each successive CAAD series get lighter and stiffer?

Are their mtn bikes also super stiff?

A test ride indicated to me that the CAAD 9 does not fit into a category that would be described by the quote below. I can't comment on the evolution of the CAAD frames, but the 9 was not uncomfortable. My weight: 168-170 lb.



Quote:

What's really bizarre is how this forum in particular has fallen into groupthink labeling this bike as some sort of superior value. It's a niche bike, which serves certain riders well (heavy riders, crit mashers), at the cost of serious deficiencies in the eyes of other types of riders (lighter riders, century riders, riders who don't want to feel a pebble shaking their innards).

Blackdays 09-22-10 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pigmode (Post 11505572)
A test ride indicated to me that the CAAD 9 does not fit into a category that would be described by the quote below. I can't comment on the evolution of the CAAD frames, but the 9 was not uncomfortable. My weight: 168-170 lb.

+100

As a 115lb rider, I do not for a second think that the CAAD9 uncomfortable. I've been on the hunt for a 49cm frame for a while now, and am perfectly willing to trade/sell my CF frame to acquire the CAAD9 frame.

Blackdays 09-22-10 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadandmountain (Post 11504626)
Actually, they didn't market their bikes as "more is better." They marketed their bikes as super light alu. That was their trick: "less is more."

It was up to the actual dealers to get word out and "warn" prospective buyers that they best served heavier riders.

Then, riders (and bike rags) began to put a positive spin on all this: i.e., 'dales transfer power directly, and such nonsense.

The various lies of cannondale marketing were exposed over time:

a. 'dales are super light bikes (not any lighter than other alu bikes with similar tube dimensions)
b. superior power transfer (not really: some flexibility ensures energy rebound through each stroke)
c. big tubes must be super durable: actually their tube walls were super thin, hence more easily dented)

What's really bizarre is how this forum in particular has fallen into groupthink labeling this bike as some sort of superior value. It's a niche bike, which serves certain riders well (heavy riders, crit mashers), at the cost of serious deficiencies in the eyes of other types of riders (lighter riders, century riders, riders who don't want to feel a pebble shaking their innards).

I don't ever recall anyone praising the CAAD9 for it's plush ride, or superior vibration dampening. It's a racing bike, that is *gasp* built to be raced!

There are dozens of great comfort bikes that cater to riders like you.

By the way: I've seen the CAAD9 being raced in the pro peleton. I can assure you that those riders were not "heavy."

TriEngineer 09-22-10 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hao (Post 11499855)
ugly and unimaginative.

Tried and tested, I think. Not everything traditional is bad and not everything new is good.
people are gonna laugh if I show up to a groupride on a Sunday with a bike with KAMM tail and hidden brake calipers.

callmeAL 09-22-10 09:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
got this almost two months ago (disc, reflector removed and saddle was changed). 2010 caad9 with new 105. new to riding and am 100% satisfied with this purchase.

goose70 09-22-10 02:37 PM

Here's my 2010 CAAD9 5, which I bought a few months ago. I plan to upgrade the rear dr to ultegra and crank to SL-K, but other then that, I'm set and really like it. Where I notice the most improvement is in cornering.
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=170859

coasting 09-22-10 02:46 PM

i'm still waiting

ridethecliche 09-22-10 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyclingd (Post 11505451)
Didn't read the Cannondale marketing promo. But being ignorant of the brand, from what I've read on this thread is they sell a super stiff aluminium frame at a elevated price. Does each successive CAAD series get lighter and stiffer?

Are their mtn bikes also super stiff?

I don't that you, and others, understand what it means for a bike to be stiff.

Stiff doesn't mean that the bike rides like a bone shaker. Stiff means that when you stand up and hammer on it, you don't feel like you have a noodle under you. Many bikes fit this description.

The caad9 is a good, nay great, all around bike, but the reason many flock to it is that it's an incredibly awesome race bike for the cost. The frames are light, without sacrificing much in the name of durability. The seatstays afford a comfortable bike that's a great 60 minute crit bike or a 6 hour century bike. The power transfer is awesome.

I've ridden for hours and hours on my 9 without feeling beat up. I've also sprinted at 1350W on it with the utmost confidence. I get a bit of road feedback through the bars, but I really like that because I hate a bike to feel 'dead'.

That said, if you're looking for a super cushy comfy bike, look elsewhere. It's really not designed for that purpose though it might work out alright for you if you buy it for that. This is not the early 'blackbird' era caad bike. Anything from the CAAD7 up is a great all around bike.

There are racers I know who moved from zoot carbon frames to caad9 team bikes and have absolutely no complaints. The reason we love these bikes is because the price is right, and because if we break one in crash while training or racing, then it's like 400 bucks to replace the frame under crash replacement. That's a great deal!

I should also mention that a few nicks/dings here and there don't destroy the frame. I had one on my first caad9, and the shops I went to said it was fine. Months later the paint around it didn't show any signs of peeling as would happen if the frame was cracked. I moved to a second caad9 as a 56 fit me better than the 54.

Those complaining about aches and pains from the frame probably aren't fit correctly. I had a ton of issues with the 54 frame. Moving to a 56 completely got rid of them for me. It's about fit and components. Different bars and saddles transmit the 'road feel' differently. Now if you're planning on riding fire roads on a bike that can barely fit 25mm tires, you've got some thinking to do. That said, I loved riding mine on dirt tracks every now and then. I was also between 142-150 when racing the CAAD9. I'm up to 155-160 now, and it's still as comfortable.

Sorry for the long post...

2ndGen 09-22-10 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ridethecliche (Post 11507821)
Sorry for the long post...

R U kidding?

Thank you for it.

:thumb:

seejohnbike 09-22-10 04:22 PM

dumb caad question: for the caad9 (and presumably the 10), whats the stock stem lengths on a 58 vs a 60? I know Cannondale "sizes down," so a "58" is really 56(st) x 57.5 (virtual tt), and a "60" is really 58 (st) x 59 (virtual tt).

If it comes down to me having to order in a 10 in my size to try it, sight unseen and off of spec sheets, I'd like to get as close as possible to dialing in the reach the first time around... (and also save my LBS the worst case scenario/hassle of having to order in a second one, and deal with the one I don't like)

dykim90 09-22-10 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chambers078 (Post 11503947)
So, I posted a thread for this before I noticed there was a CAAD specific discussion. I suppose this would be a better place to get good advice on the situation...

After riding my F95, my girlfriend is now dying to move up from her 1970s takara road bike (almost too heavy for her to carry). Our anniversary is coming up, and I plan to buy her a decent bike.

She's no racer and wont be going on tons of long rides, mostly commuting. I just hate to see her struggle with her ~50 pound bike. I also think she'd ride with me if she had something she could handle a little better.

After perusing craigslist for a while, I came across a cannondale cad2 in her size. It has mavic wheels and shinamo components and looks to be in excellent shape. The pretty red paint job doesn't hurt either. The downtube shifters are a pain, but the ones on her current bike are horrendous, so she would probably find these quite an upgrade.

Now I know cannondale has an excellent reputation and I'm not too worried about the quality of the bike, but I was hoping some of you could shed some light on this particular model. (ride characteristics, weight, any common problems, etc)

The going price is $300 which seems reasonable. The lady selling it also seems desperate to get rid of it so I plan to offer $250 and see what happens. I attached a picture below. Thanks in advance for any insight!

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/a...rs078/CAD2.jpg

The bottle holders and foot straps are included, she's keeping the computer.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I will be taking my girlfriend along to look at the bike before actually purchasing it. It fitting her well is obviously the most important aspect.

thats going to be a harsh, bumpy ride.

ridethecliche 09-22-10 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seejohnbike (Post 11508266)
dumb caad question: for the caad9 (and presumably the 10), whats the stock stem lengths on a 58 vs a 60? I know Cannondale "sizes down," so a "58" is really 56(st) x 57.5 (virtual tt), and a "60" is really 58 (st) x 59 (virtual tt).

If it comes down to me having to order in a 10 in my size to try it, sight unseen and off of spec sheets, I'd like to get as close as possible to dialing in the reach the first time around... (and also save my LBS the worst case scenario/hassle of having to order in a second one, and deal with the one I don't like)

There shouldn't be a 'stock' stem length. Cannondale has a ton of their logo'ed stems. Their shops should have a bunch of them sitting in box. If you buy from a reputable shop, they should do atleast a basic fit for you and make sure the stem length is good.

The shop I bought from spent a good hour with me. They set me up on a trainer, used the angle measure thingys (goinometer? Sp), and made sure I was comfortable. To be fair, they set me up far more aggressively than I would have liked and I later swapped to a bigger frame, but had I not had a familial history of back issues, I should have been fine. They later swapped me to a bigger frame for just the cost of them swapping over the parts. I think that was too much as well, but most shops would have just said 'tough'. The frame was also damaged since I'd wrecked on it and left a nice little dent in a seatstay. It was structurally sound though...

Most good shops will do atleast a basic fit. Keep that in mind when shopping.

I think it's good customer service for them to do so. Having someone walk out the door with a bike that fits, else they'll be complaining about such and such bike/brand and such and such shop.

All of that said and done, just because I love the CAAD9 doesn't mean that it's the right bike for you. As I've noted, the bike is set up to be a race bike. I'd venture so far as to say that it is America's crit bike. I think the synapses are a great bike with a slightly more relaxed positioning, though the bikes are race worthy as Liquigas has raced the carbon synapses. I have brand loyalty and wouldn't switch if I had an option, but you should try most everything in your price range to see what works best for you.

The best fitting bike I've ever ridden is my Trek 760. It's a steel frame from 1984, making it 5 years older than I am...

mike868y 09-22-10 06:36 PM

How much are caad10 framesets going to go for? The new allez frameset is $550 and should be just as good of a "crit bike" as the caad.

ridethecliche 09-22-10 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike868y (Post 11508892)
How much are caad10 framesets going to go for? The new allez frameset is $550 and should be just as good of a "crit bike" as the caad.

Doubt it...

Though you could probably buy a caad10 and strip it off parts and get the frame for about 500-600 depending on how good you are at selling stuff.

mike868y 09-22-10 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ridethecliche (Post 11509292)
Doubt it...

Though you could probably buy a caad10 and strip it off parts and get the frame for about 500-600 depending on how good you are at selling stuff.

Why? I don't know too many people with allezs, but I've only heard good things about them.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:56 AM.