Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    101
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    52mm Wheel depth - valve length?

    Would a 60mm (valve length) tubes be viable with a 52mm depth wheel? Too short?

    Go to 80mm to avoid using valve extenders?

  2. #2
    Goodbye Leeroy Jenkins tagaproject6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    My Bikes
    Wilier Izoard XP (Campagnolo Record);Cinelli Xperience (SRAM Force);Specialized Allez (SRAM Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Campagnolo Centaur)
    Posts
    7,029
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    80mm
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    TOML

    _________________________________________________________________________

    Wilier Izoard XP (Campagnolo Record)
    Cinelli Xperience (SRAM Force)
    Specialized Allez (SRAM Rival)
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Campagnolo Centaur)

  3. #3
    Senior Member rouleour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario, California.
    My Bikes
    '99 ONCE Giant, '08 ORCA Orbea
    Posts
    288
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless you like using valve extensions, go with the 80mm!

  4. #4
    Unobtanium-Based Lifeform calamarichris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Carlsbad, CA
    My Bikes
    '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi)
    Posts
    5,128
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's wrong with valve extenders? I'd rather have one of those dinky, little guys in my saddlebag, than to have two colossal proboscises negatively affecting the my wheel balance.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    No Va but ride also in So Md
    My Bikes
    Cervelo SLC-SL, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX
    Posts
    8,499
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    60s barely worked with my 44mm rims.
    You're just trying to start an argument to show how smart you are.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Jed19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,777
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedal Dancer View Post
    Would a 60mm (valve length) tubes be viable with a 52mm depth wheel? Too short?

    Go to 80mm to avoid using valve extenders?
    I have Shimano C50 wheels, and the perfect valve length for them are the 62mm Continental tubes. 80mm is gonna be too long for 52mm wheels. Trust me, been there, done that.

    The 62mm tubes are gonna be the right size. I also carry 30mm Vittoria valve extenders, in case there is ever a need to borrow tubes during a ride, as I only carry a single spare.
    Regards,

    Jed

  7. #7
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Tariffville, CT
    My Bikes
    Tsunami Bikes
    Posts
    12,405
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a 60 with a 60mm rim and I can just barely screw the end tight. I use an extender to inflate, then remove and close presta end. This way it's secure and won't leak or open unexpectedly.

    I'm guessing that with a 52mm rim you may be able to get enough traction on a good floor pump. Hm. Maybe not.

  8. #8
    Seņor Member kimconyc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    My Bikes
    2011 Hampsten Travelissimo Gran Paradiso Ti | 2007 Bianchi HoC 928 SL | 2001 De Rosa Neo Primato - Batik Del Monte, Genius | 1991 Eddy Merckx - Motorola, TSX
    Posts
    3,563
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedal Dancer View Post
    Would a 60mm (valve length) tubes be viable with a 52mm depth wheel? Too short?

    Go to 80mm to avoid using valve extenders?
    I have Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLRs, they are 52mm rim depth. You need to use 80mm tubes in order to not have to use extenders.

    60mm will leave the head out so you can open and close the valves but you still have to use an extender to pump up the tire.

  9. #9
    Seņor Member kimconyc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    My Bikes
    2011 Hampsten Travelissimo Gran Paradiso Ti | 2007 Bianchi HoC 928 SL | 2001 De Rosa Neo Primato - Batik Del Monte, Genius | 1991 Eddy Merckx - Motorola, TSX
    Posts
    3,563
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by calamarichris View Post
    What's wrong with valve extenders? I'd rather have one of those dinky, little guys in my saddlebag, than to have two colossal proboscises negatively affecting the my wheel balance.
    They suck.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Jed19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,777
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kimconyc View Post
    They suck.
    Not all valve extenders suck. The Vittoria/Tufo types that you use with removable core presta valves are perfectly fine for me.

    You remove the valve core on your presta tube, screw the valve extender on the tube, tighten with little plastic tool, then valve core goes on top of extender, pump tires, presto!
    Regards,

    Jed

  11. #11
    Seņor Member kimconyc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    My Bikes
    2011 Hampsten Travelissimo Gran Paradiso Ti | 2007 Bianchi HoC 928 SL | 2001 De Rosa Neo Primato - Batik Del Monte, Genius | 1991 Eddy Merckx - Motorola, TSX
    Posts
    3,563
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jed19 View Post
    Not all valve extenders suck. The Vittoria/Tufo types that you use with removable core presta valves are perfectly fine for me.

    You remove the valve core on your presta tube, screw the valve extender on the tube, tighten with little plastic tool, then valve core goes on top of extender, pump tires, presto!
    Yeah, I just buy 80mm tubes unless I find a chucked tube that I can patch up and re-use

  12. #12
    Senior Member rouleour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario, California.
    My Bikes
    '99 ONCE Giant, '08 ORCA Orbea
    Posts
    288
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post
    I use a 60 with a 60mm rim and I can just barely screw the end tight. I use an extender to inflate, then remove and close presta end. This way it's secure and won't leak or open unexpectedly.

    I'm guessing that with a 52mm rim you may be able to get enough traction on a good floor pump. Hm. Maybe not.
    maybe that's my problem,I have one of these!http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...w=1366&bih=520 and use 80mm on my (38mm) easton ec90 sl. A 60mm will not cut it!

  13. #13
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Tariffville, CT
    My Bikes
    Tsunami Bikes
    Posts
    12,405
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer valve extenders. Plastic ones work better than metal ones. Zipp's first adapter was just a simple clear tube.

    I prefer to be able to tighten the nut down but I don't want the valve sticking up past the rim. I've seen folks have sudden deflations from the valve depressing on a bump or something, including a teammate about 20 feet in front of me flying into the first turn in a race. I don't like the valve sticking out for aesthetic reasons. I also figure I'm wasting some of the "aero" - it's a principle thing.

    On the tubulars the nut is out of sight - I use a short allen wrench to turn the nut (against the side). On the clinchers I use extenders. It's pretty quick to pump up either.

  14. #14
    Senior Member rouleour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario, California.
    My Bikes
    '99 ONCE Giant, '08 ORCA Orbea
    Posts
    288
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kimconyc View Post
    I have Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLRs, they are 52mm rim depth. You need to use 80mm tubes in order to not have to use extenders.

    60mm will leave the head out so you can open and close the valves but you still have to use an extender to pump up the tire.
    This exactly!!

  15. #15
    Senior Member rouleour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario, California.
    My Bikes
    '99 ONCE Giant, '08 ORCA Orbea
    Posts
    288
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jed19 View Post
    I have Shimano C50 wheels, and the perfect valve length for them are the 62mm Continental tubes. 80mm is gonna be too long for 52mm wheels. Trust me, been there, done that.

    The 62mm tubes are gonna be the right size. I also carry 30mm Vittoria valve extenders, in case there is ever a need to borrow tubes during a ride, as I only carry a single spare.
    do you always ride in a group?

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    101
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rouleour View Post
    This exactly!!

    Thank you x2.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    No Va but ride also in So Md
    My Bikes
    Cervelo SLC-SL, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX
    Posts
    8,499
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jed19 View Post
    Trust me, been there, done that.

    The 62mm tubes are gonna be the right size. I also carry 30mm Vittoria valve extenders, in case there is ever a need to borrow tubes during a ride, as I only carry a single spare.
    Sorry but that "trust me" brings up the wrong image.

    Plus the OP mentioned 52 mm wheels and you said 62 mm tubes. That leaves 10 mm or 0.4th of an inch for a mini or a floor pump or CO2 to grab on to. That's not enough.
    Last edited by StanSeven; 11-15-10 at 09:44 PM.
    You're just trying to start an argument to show how smart you are.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Jed19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,777
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StanSeven View Post
    Sorry but that "trust me" brings up the wrong image.

    Plus the OP mentioned 52 mm wheels and you said 62 mm tubes. That leaves 10 mm or 0.4th of an inch for a mini or a floor pump or CO2 to grab on to. That's not enough.
    Okay, I do use a Lezyne floor pump that has a thread-on chuck. It is very possible that a floor pump that has a grab-on chuck won't work well with what is left from a 62mm tube on a 52mm wheel.

    My bad.
    Regards,

    Jed

  19. #19
    Senior Member Jed19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,777
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rouleour View Post
    do you always ride in a group?
    No, I don't always ride in a group. I carry the valve extenders because I might have to buy or borrow a regular sized tube after I have used my spare, if there was a double flat.
    Regards,

    Jed

  20. #20
    Gunner. robncircus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    Posts
    1,689
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wanted to bump this a bit. I got my Cosmic Carbone SLRs last night. Tried using 60mm tubes - too short. So I tried the valve extender and I can't get it to work. The air goes in and comes right back out. i've never used the extender before so do I need to remove the valve core from the tube or just unscrew the tip, screw on the extender, and go? Has anyone else not had luck with the MAvic provided extenders?

    I was going to see if the LBS had the 62mm tubes mentioned in this thread since i have previously used 60mm on a 50mm rim.

    Thanks!

    Rob

  21. #21
    Klickety-Klackety Jeepnut22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NoVa, U.S.A.
    My Bikes
    Ones with 2 wheels...
    Posts
    1,542
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    On my 50s, had my LBS order up some 80mm QBP Ultralight tubes. Perfect for my wheels...
    Wut

  22. #22
    I eat carbide. Psimet2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Elgin, IL
    My Bikes
    Lots. Current sponsors - Giant and Specialized
    Posts
    19,294
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi. I sell a ton of 50mm wheels. I recommend 80mm tubes for those that don't want to use extenders. I recommend Vittoria/Tufo style removable core extenders for most. It allows users to use standard tubes, and will allow them to most likely make use of other's tubes in the event that they experience multiple failures on a ride.

    These also come with teflon seals allowing for the whole system to be sealed without use of teflon tape.

  23. #23
    Mr. Dopolina Bob Dopolina's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Taiwan
    My Bikes
    KUUPAS, Simpson VR
    Posts
    9,343
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robncircus View Post
    Just wanted to bump this a bit. I got my Cosmic Carbone SLRs last night. Tried using 60mm tubes - too short. So I tried the valve extender and I can't get it to work. The air goes in and comes right back out. i've never used the extender before so do I need to remove the valve core from the tube or just unscrew the tip, screw on the extender, and go? Has anyone else not had luck with the MAvic provided extenders?

    I was going to see if the LBS had the 62mm tubes mentioned in this thread since i have previously used 60mm on a 50mm rim.

    Thanks!

    Rob
    The only extenders that seem to work well of the ones where you remove the valve core from the tube or tubular tire, install the extender and then screw the valve core into the extender. The extenders come in various lengths. Most common are 30mm, 40mm and 50mm. You need to be careful about the tool they come with. The resin plastic ones are crap and barely do the job. There are places where you can buy these extenders that have METAL tools that work well and can be used more than once.

    These are the only ones I use.

    I haven't used the Vittoria versions so I can't comment on those.

    For those that say extender suck, the quality ones work well and offer you the most flexibility. You can use any tube or TUBULAR TIRE ( Just try finding a tubular with an 80mm valve at most LBS!) when you are riding or traveling to a race etc.
    BLOG of BOB: Old Guy Racer
    BDop Cycling Company Ltd.: bdopcycling.com, facebook

  24. #24
    Gunner. robncircus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    Posts
    1,689
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina View Post
    The only extenders that seem to work well of the ones where you remove the valve core from the tube or tubular tire, install the extender and then screw the valve core into the extender. The extenders come in various lengths. Most common are 30mm, 40mm and 50mm. You need to be careful about the tool they come with. The resin plastic ones are crap and barely do the job. There are places where you can buy these extenders that have METAL tools that work well and can be used more than once.

    These are the only ones I use.

    I haven't used the Vittoria versions so I can't comment on those.

    For those that say extender suck, the quality ones work well and offer you the most flexibility. You can use any tube or TUBULAR TIRE ( Just try finding a tubular with an 80mm valve at most LBS!) when you are riding or traveling to a race etc.
    Thanks Bdop and Psimet. Guess I have to get some different tubes w/removable core and a good extender.

  25. #25
    I eat carbide. Psimet2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Elgin, IL
    My Bikes
    Lots. Current sponsors - Giant and Specialized
    Posts
    19,294
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina View Post
    The only extenders that seem to work well of the ones where you remove the valve core from the tube or tubular tire, install the extender and then screw the valve core into the extender. The extenders come in various lengths. Most common are 30mm, 40mm and 50mm. You need to be careful about the tool they come with. The resin plastic ones are crap and barely do the job. There are places where you can buy these extenders that have METAL tools that work well and can be used more than once.

    These are the only ones I use.

    I haven't used the Vittoria versions so I can't comment on those.

    For those that say extender suck, the quality ones work well and offer you the most flexibility. You can use any tube or TUBULAR TIRE ( Just try finding a tubular with an 80mm valve at most LBS!) when you are riding or traveling to a race etc.
    FWIW - the Vittoria/Tufo ones are the exact same ones you're talking about (40mm versions I believe) and are same sourced as what you're referring to I believe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •