Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 73
  1. #1
    GO, Mordecai! Syncmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    805
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Found a Garmin Edge 500 on my ride today, cracked screen/LCD. Any hope for it?

    I came across a Gamin Edge 500 on the road today during my ride. No one else around. Looks like it was either dropped very badly or it was dropped then run over with something.....

    Some cracks in the glass on the top, and the LCD is shot. All rainbow colored.

    First of all, did anyone lose a Garmin Edge 500 today in NY outside the city?..... if I can return it to the original owner, that would be ideal, but like I said, no one was around. If not.....

    I plugged it in and it still seems to power up. Has anyone dealt with Garmin to get a new screen, or found a 3rd party supplier of screens I could install on my own?... Not sure what Garmin will say since I'm not the original owner. Maybe they'll replace the screen for a price... calling them later today but didn't know if anyone had experience replacing Garmin screens.....

    Thanks
    I like bikes.

  2. #2
    GO, Mordecai! Syncmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    805
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know much about them, but this just dawned on me: is there a way to plug it into my computer and read any info off of the device? Maybe I can find the original owner that way? I plugged it in but it doesn't show up as an external device.
    I like bikes.

  3. #3
    moth -----> flame Beaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    My Bikes
    11 CAAD 10-4, 07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 98 Peugeot Horizon
    Posts
    5,908
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An Edge 500 should show up as a USB hard drive. If your computer doesn't show that, it may be toast.

    You could try calling Garmin customer service and read off the serial number, they might be able to help contact the owner.

  4. #4
    HMF
    HMF is offline
    SkinnyStrong HMF's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Austin, Tejas
    Posts
    1,168
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syncmaster View Post
    I don't know much about them, but this just dawned on me: is there a way to plug it into my computer and read any info off of the device? Maybe I can find the original owner that way? I plugged it in but it doesn't show up as an external device.
    good idea. You could probably get the GPS data off of it, then put up "Found" posters on the street where the ride originated. Or just go door to door.

  5. #5
    GO, Mordecai! Syncmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    805
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
    An Edge 500 should show up as a USB hard drive. If your computer doesn't show that, it may be toast.

    You could try calling Garmin customer service and read off the serial number, they might be able to help contact the owner.
    I had to download and install the proper drivers for it to show up. It's showing up now as an external device so I guess that means it's still functioning.


    Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    good idea. You could probably get the GPS data off of it, then put up "Found" posters on the street where the ride originated. Or just go door to door.
    Any thoughts on how I'd get the GPS data off of it?
    I like bikes.

  6. #6
    Maximus
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,806
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need some software for the computer to recognize the device
    http://www8.garmin.com/products/communicator/

  7. #7
    GO, Mordecai! Syncmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    805
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gluteus View Post
    You need some software for the computer to recognize the device
    http://www8.garmin.com/products/communicator/
    Thanks. I tried it out a little while ago and it's now recognizing the device so I assume it's still functioning. Not sure how to use any of the data on the device though.... if I wanted to use it to help locate the original owner.
    I like bikes.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Fredericton, NB, Canada
    My Bikes
    2010 S1, 2011 F75X
    Posts
    1,424
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to garmin connect website, upload the ride to it and it'll show exactly where he lives - assuming he pressed start in his driveway

  9. #9
    GO, Mordecai! Syncmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    805
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonaway427 View Post
    Go to garmin connect website, upload the ride to it and it'll show exactly where he lives - assuming he pressed start in his driveway
    Thanks! This was what i was looking for. However, looking at what comes up, there are only 2 recorded rides on it. One from 3 days ago and it's only 2 seconds long... with no distance traveled. And one from a little while ago when I must have pressed the start and stop buttons while tinkering with the device....

    no leads yet... I'll call Garmin.
    I like bikes.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    323
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syncmaster View Post
    Thanks! This was what i was looking for. However, looking at what comes up, there are only 2 recorded rides on it. One from 3 days ago and it's only 2 seconds long... with no distance traveled. And one from a little while ago when I must have pressed the start and stop buttons while tinkering with the device....

    no leads yet... I'll call Garmin.
    Even if no distance was traveled, it should still contain GPS coordinates of where it was started.

    I'm not 100% sure about 500, but I took apart a 305 a few months ago. If 500 is built the same way, it should be straightforward to open it and to remove the cracked LCD. If you can find a dead 500 with a functioning LCD on Craigslist or eBay (or even here), you should be able to swap LCDs and glass screens. Then you'll just need to re-seal it carefully (use superglue, take care not to get any on the outer surfaces) and you have yourself a working unit.

    If you can't find the owner and you can't get it fixed, I'll take it off your hands for $20.

  11. #11
    GO, Mordecai! Syncmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    805
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eugenek View Post
    Even if no distance was traveled, it should still contain GPS coordinates of where it was started.

    I'm not 100% sure about 500, but I took apart a 305 a few months ago. If 500 is built the same way, it should be straightforward to open it and to remove the cracked LCD. If you can find a dead 500 with a functioning LCD on Craigslist or eBay (or even here), you should be able to swap LCDs and glass screens. Then you'll just need to re-seal it carefully (use superglue, take care not to get any on the outer surfaces) and you have yourself a working unit.

    If you can't find the owner and you can't get it fixed, I'll take it off your hands for $20.
    This is all I see from that ride 3 days ago on Garmin Connect. I don't see any maps or any where to look at GPS coordinates... sorry, not familiar with the interface or if it is supposed to look different. Any hep here?

    I like bikes.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    323
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is all I see from that ride 3 days ago on Garmin Connect. I don't see any maps or any where to look at GPS coordinates... sorry, not familiar with the interface or if it is supposed to look different. Any hep here?
    Hmm, yes, there should be a map there. Maybe it was recorded when the unit didn't have satellite reception, say, in a subway?

  13. #13
    moth -----> flame Beaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    My Bikes
    11 CAAD 10-4, 07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 98 Peugeot Horizon
    Posts
    5,908
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    or it's just that they (or you) accidentally hit "start" without having achieved a satellite lock. It's less than 2sec so clearly not deliberate.

    Honestly, I find the trying to dig into this persons' GPS files a little creepy; just call Garmin and if they can't help, I'd adopt it and get it fixed.

  14. #14
    GO, Mordecai! Syncmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    805
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps.... If I I turn it on, press the start button, just have it in my pocket and go walk around the block with it, should it record my "ride?" Maybe that's a better way of seeing if it still works?...
    I like bikes.

  15. #15
    SuperGimp TrojanHorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Whittier, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Merlin Road, Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    7,621
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you plug in the garmin, it shows you the serial # of the unit. I know I registered mine when I set it up as part of logging into garmin connect - surely Garmin can do a little legwork for you.

  16. #16
    GO, Mordecai! Syncmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    805
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
    or it's just that they (or you) accidentally hit "start" without having achieved a satellite lock. It's less than 2sec so clearly not deliberate.

    Honestly, I find the trying to dig into this persons' GPS files a little creepy; just call Garmin and if they can't help, I'd adopt it and get it fixed.
    Really?... Not like I'm going to plaster this guys address all over the web. Just trying to get some help on how I can get it back to him. Seems like it's a lost cause though. Now I'll be trying my best to see if I can get it working for ME, so I can use it.
    I like bikes.

  17. #17
    moth -----> flame Beaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    My Bikes
    11 CAAD 10-4, 07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 98 Peugeot Horizon
    Posts
    5,908
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syncmaster View Post
    Really?... Not like I'm going to plaster this guys address all over the web. Just trying to get some help on how I can get it back to him. Seems like it's a lost cause though. Now I'll be trying my best to see if I can get it working for ME, so I can use it.
    I've had to call Garmin support for a few different issues over the years, I just think that will be more definitive than trying to examine the other persons activity files.

  18. #18
    GO, Mordecai! Syncmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    805
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
    I've had to call Garmin support for a few different issues over the years, I just think that will be more definitive than trying to examine the other persons activity files.
    Fair enough. I'm going to call them now.

    EDIT: NVM. Looks like their customer service is only open weekdays. :-(
    I like bikes.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,919
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gluteus View Post
    You need some software for the computer to recognize the device
    http://www8.garmin.com/products/communicator/
    No you don't.

    It should show up as a mounted USB drive or two. Under the directories "Garmin/History" on one of the drives you should see some TCX files along the lines of "YYYY-MM-DD-HH-MM-SS.tcx".

  20. #20
    I let the dogs out AlphaDogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    My Bikes
    2011 Fuji Roubaix 1.0, 2003 Ti Merlin Solis, & 1994 Raleigh MT200
    Posts
    1,924
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by achoo View Post
    YYYY-MM-DD-HH-MM-SS.tcx
    Is it weird that I read that in my head as "year-year-year-year, month-month, day-day, hour-hour, minute-minute, second-second?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart View Post
    Weird spell/word check. "***" is "***". I'll never understand this computer. Andy.

  21. #21
    GO, Mordecai! Syncmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    805
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tried out the garmin walking around town a bit. Tried to manipulate it to start tracking my "ride" without actually being able to see the screen.... was able to have it show up on the maps when I got back. Seems functional!

    Just need to get a working LCD in there now....
    I like bikes.

  22. #22
    Senior Member JaceK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Saratoga, NY
    My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.9 (Shimano DA), 2008 Kuota Khan (SRAM Red), 2009 Giant OCR2 ( Shimano 105 ), Lynsky R340 ( SRAM Rival )
    Posts
    608
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually you need to call Garmin customer support, give them the serial number, and let them contact the rightful owner. It is registered to the owner, and you really can't use a GPS once they realize it is missing and report it, Garmin will shut it down. I would of reported mine, had I lost it, to prevent exactly what you are doing... stealing.

  23. #23
    Roadkill byte_speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    East Tennessee
    My Bikes
    2002 Lightspeed Classic; 2010 Pedalforce RS
    Posts
    843
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syncmaster View Post
    Just need to get a working LCD in there now....
    Garmin will replace/fix the the unit for a cost, there is no spare parts.

    I had a similar incident with my 500 (run over by car), they quoted me $89 for a replacement (as near as I can recall). They took pity on me and reduced the price since mine was nearly new. Good folks at Garmin.

  24. #24
    LBKA punkncat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    OTP South
    Posts
    1,989
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaceK View Post
    Actually you need to call Garmin customer support, give them the serial number, and let them contact the rightful owner. It is registered to the owner, and you really can't use a GPS once they realize it is missing and report it, Garmin will shut it down. I would of reported mine, had I lost it, to prevent exactly what you are doing... stealing.
    Crazy responses, like this, drag this place down. You have to be out of your mind if you actually think this guy is "stealing" something that he found, on the ground, and has written a whole post on the possibility of locating the owner through the GPS, and/or calling Garmin (who are closed on the weekend). Overreact much?
    One Foot Less

  25. #25
    Senior Member DropDeadFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    My Bikes
    2012 orca
    Posts
    4,428
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    hey! thanks for finding my garmin! mail it along with the 100 dollars I lost in the same area!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •