Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 38 of 38
  1. #26
    pan y agua merlinextraligh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville
    My Bikes
    Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er
    Posts
    27,123
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got Zipp 404 Firecrest clinchers, and the generation before Zipp303 tubulars.

    I've descended in the rain in the Rockies on the 303's without any braking issues, and I'm not a small guy.

    Right pads and the braking is fine.
    You could fall off a cliff and die.
    You could get lost and die.
    You could hit a tree and die.
    OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

  2. #27
    2 Fat 2 Furious contango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    England
    My Bikes
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    Posts
    3,977
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sautan View Post
    I have struck a deal on the cervelo S5 package. I need to pick between Zipp Firecrest 404 Clincher and Mavic Cosmic Carbon SLR.

    Review - 404 has better aero compares to Mavic but Mavic has better brake track and will last longer. How true and those who has experience? I have heard overheat while braking on the carbon track liek Zipp 404...

    Your thought ASAP. I need to decide within next couple hours before the shop close in East Coast.
    Is this for real? You're dropping this kind of cash and want to trust the words of random people on the internet who may never have even used the products in question?

    I've been looking at something more the level of Mavic Cosmic or Ksyrium wheels (i.e. about 1/5 the price of yours) and want to get it right. If you're really so unbothered about which wheels to get flip a coin or something, or go for the ones with the shiniest decals when you go to collect them.
    "For a list of ways technology has failed to improve quality of life, press three"

  3. #28
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zipps - from another random stranger

  4. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    110
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having ridden both and not blindly presuming, MAVIC!!!!!! First, Mavic SLR breaking is far superior to the Zipps, you will never have to worry about them on descents as you might with the Zipps. The Mavics are stronger, come with tyres and wheel bags ($200 ish), are stiffer, and look way better than the Zipps. Plus, Garmin Cervelo rides Mavic which will make you look even better.

    The Mavics also have much better skewers.

    Zipps are supposedly better because there aerodynamics is slightly better. They are not better. For those who disagree, ride both sets before you reply to me.

    Mavics are much better for descending and criteriums.


    Edit: You should test ride them if possible and people on the internet shouldn't be your deciding factor. Most of the people commenting probably don't own aero wheels and are basing their reccomendation on what other have on the internet. Although I speak the truth, you have no way of knowing.
    Last edited by Ross11; 04-04-13 at 08:00 PM.

  5. #30
    Senior Member abstractform20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,889
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by contango View Post
    Is this for real? You're dropping this kind of cash and want to trust the words of random people on the internet who may never have even used the products in question?

    I've been looking at something more the level of Mavic Cosmic or Ksyrium wheels (i.e. about 1/5 the price of yours) and want to get it right. If you're really so unbothered about which wheels to get flip a coin or something, or go for the ones with the shiniest decals when you go to collect them.

    do yourself a favor and GET HED.

  6. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    My Bikes
    S5 VWD
    Posts
    3,439
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by abstractform20 View Post
    do yourself a favor and GET HED.
    Do your self a favor and provide information.

  7. #32
    2 Fat 2 Furious contango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    England
    My Bikes
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    Posts
    3,977
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by abstractform20 View Post
    do yourself a favor and GET HED.
    Thanks for the tip, my wife was quite happy to oblige. I'm not sure what that has to do with the OP's wheel selection though.
    "For a list of ways technology has failed to improve quality of life, press three"

  8. #33
    token triathlete Bah Humbug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    On the trainer
    My Bikes
    Cervelo New P3 Cervelo S1
    Posts
    5,942
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by v70cat View Post
    Do your self a favor and provide information.
    I'm not sure this thread really warrants that sort of effort.

  9. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    No Va but ride also in So Md
    My Bikes
    Cervelo SLC-SL, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX
    Posts
    8,285
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by contango View Post
    Thanks for the tip, my wife was quite happy to oblige. I'm not sure what that has to do with the OP's wheel selection though.
    I think that advice meant when you're happy, you are more objective making buying decisions. The 41 comes through again!
    You're just trying to start an argument to show how smart you are.

  10. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    My Bikes
    Tarmac, Crux Pro, Enduro SL
    Posts
    49
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got the ZIPP 404!!! THANKS.

  11. #36
    Senior Member Nachoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Point Loma, CA
    My Bikes
    Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)
    Posts
    12,733
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thechemist View Post
    I average 100 miles a week on zipp 404s. I like them but I do have the older aluminum brake track which I would trade for all carbon in a heartbeat.
    Funny, I feel the opposite. I've got the older 303s, with the aluminum brake track, and am very happy at the ease on switching back and forth to different (aluminum) wheelsets.
    .
    .

    Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.

  12. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    My Bikes
    S5 VWD
    Posts
    3,439
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sautan View Post
    I got the ZIPP 404!!! THANKS.
    You will be happy and I will trade you my Mavics plus $500 (my pay) if you are not.

  13. #38
    downhill quickly
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Colorado & Maine
    My Bikes
    SWorks Roubaix
    Posts
    170
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross11 View Post
    Having ridden both and not blindly presuming, MAVIC!!!!!! First, Mavic SLR breaking is far superior to the Zipps, you will never have to worry about them on descents as you might with the Zipps. The Mavics are stronger, come with tyres and wheel bags ($200 ish), are stiffer, and look way better than the Zipps. Plus, Garmin Cervelo rides Mavic which will make you look even better.

    The Mavics also have much better skewers.

    Zipps are supposedly better because there aerodynamics is slightly better. They are not better. For those who disagree, ride both sets before you reply to me.

    Mavics are much better for descending and criteriums.


    Edit: You should test ride them if possible and people on the internet shouldn't be your deciding factor. Most of the people commenting probably don't own aero wheels and are basing their reccomendation on what other have on the internet. Although I speak the truth, you have no way of knowing.
    Wait...wut?! And you went back after 4 hours for an *edit* to this

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •