Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 31 of 31
  1. #26
    Goodbye Leeroy Jenkins tagaproject6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    My Bikes
    Wilier Izoard XP (Campagnolo Record);Cinelli Xperience (SRAM Force);Specialized Allez (SRAM Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Campagnolo Centaur)
    Posts
    7,001
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by justin_nj View Post
    We will need to agree to disagree on this. Tools are modified to make new tools! Nuff said. If the OP wants to use his iPhone and it works for him, then so be it.
    I don't really give a rat's ass whether you disagree with me or not.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    TOML

    _________________________________________________________________________

    Wilier Izoard XP (Campagnolo Record)
    Cinelli Xperience (SRAM Force)
    Specialized Allez (SRAM Rival)
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Campagnolo Centaur)

  2. #27
    Senior Member willieb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    South GA
    My Bikes
    2006 Trek Madone 5.2
    Posts
    406
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Muffin Man View Post
    Why not just upgrade to a Garmin 500 instead?
    Quote Originally Posted by JaceK View Post
    or a garmin 800?
    The 500 doesn't give me anything I don't already have. The 800 is $400+ with accessories and maps doesn't seem to compare to the iPhones available apps/maps.


    Quote Originally Posted by CrankAndYank View Post
    Oh Lord. Why would you mount something as heavy as an iPhone to a bike - esp for big climbing rides?
    How does mounting the iPhone make it heavier? I have it with me anyway. I'll just lose an extra 140grams of body weight...

    Quote Originally Posted by mulliganvi View Post
    I have used the Wahoo 4 case / extra battery with good success. Up to 6 hours rides and have had 60 % battery at the end of the time. The only problem is when you turn the extra battery on, it resets your cycle app. You'll need to restart it and it looks like 2 rides if you upload it to a strava like program. I am going to try the Wahoo RFLKT on the N + 1 that will arrive this week.

    http://www.wahoofitness.com/Products...e-Computer.asp

    It looks fancier then having the iphone on your handle bars, and will hopefully future proof your wahoo technology with phone upgrades. Although, i think you can get different inserts for the wahoo case if you go from a iphone 4s to a 5 (this should be double checked)
    The app resets when you connect the extra battery? That's odd since the phone should never lose power. That's a concern. The RFLKT looks pretty slick, I didn't know it existed. Only thing is you can't see maps but I've never used them... maybe though because my Edge 305 doesn't have maps...? I'll def do more research on the RFLKT.


    Quote Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
    I might buy your Edge 305.
    If I do change, I will surely sell it. I'll let ya know.


    Quote Originally Posted by tagaproject6 View Post
    By claiming you are "not a casual rider by any means" should not be followed by "iphone, apps and cycling". Do you see a lot of "Big time techies" in the pro peloton using iPhones?

    Use the right tool for the job and there are plenty of tech that are cycling specific.
    You must have missed the "I mean from a technical perspective" part. I meant casual in reference to tech. A casual rider may have a $10 to $50 computer with the basics, or no computer at all. I don't race, I ride for fitness & fun.

    @patentcad - If he can keep up (Or if I can) I'll ride with Fred. To each his own. I don't discriminate.


    I'll do some more research but the Wahoo looks the best so far. I just need to find out why the app resets when connecting a battery and if there's a way around it. Thanks for all the posts guys...
    ~willieb

  3. #28
    Senior Member EddNog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    My Bikes
    2012 Breezer Venturi - 2013 SRAM Force - Bontrager Race Lite TLR
    Posts
    136
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willieb View Post
    The 500 doesn't give me anything I don't already have. The 800 is $400+ with accessories and maps doesn't seem to compare to the iPhones available apps/maps.




    How does mounting the iPhone make it heavier? I have it with me anyway. I'll just lose an extra 140grams of body weight...



    The app resets when you connect the extra battery? That's odd since the phone should never lose power. That's a concern. The RFLKT looks pretty slick, I didn't know it existed. Only thing is you can't see maps but I've never used them... maybe though because my Edge 305 doesn't have maps...? I'll def do more research on the RFLKT.




    If I do change, I will surely sell it. I'll let ya know.




    You must have missed the "I mean from a technical perspective" part. I meant casual in reference to tech. A casual rider may have a $10 to $50 computer with the basics, or no computer at all. I don't race, I ride for fitness & fun.

    @patentcad - If he can keep up (Or if I can) I'll ride with Fred. To each his own. I don't discriminate.


    I'll do some more research but the Wahoo looks the best so far. I just need to find out why the app resets when connecting a battery and if there's a way around it. Thanks for all the posts guys...
    I've been using my iPhone 4s with the Wahoo case/mount, battery extender, BlueHR HRM and BT speed/cadence sensor (basically the whole package) since late last year (rode over 1,000 miles with this setup so far). I do not have this problem with the app resetting when I switch on the battery extender, which I normally wait until the battery is under 50% to do. I went for a 70-mile long ride recently and had more than 40% of my battery left in my iPhone 4S by the time I finished (rode about 5 hours), and the extender was like 85% drained out. I like how well all of their products integrate and function together, I like that the popular apps I use support their stuff 100% (Cyclemeter and Strava) and frankly, while some say why mount such a thing as heavy as an iPhone to one's bike, well, if one is going to carry it on their person, anyway, then the added weight is only that of the mount, no? Frankly, I'm extremely happy with this setup, and only wish that someone (maybe Wahoo?) would come out with a better BT power meter solution than the left-leg-only Stages Power...simulator.

    -Ed
    2012 Breezer Venturi - 2013 SRAM Force - Bontrager Race Lite TLR

  4. #29
    Portland Fred banerjek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    My Bikes
    Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid
    Posts
    10,482
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hear the iphone has a great multitool app. Might want to look into that...

  5. #30
    Senior Member willieb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    South GA
    My Bikes
    2006 Trek Madone 5.2
    Posts
    406
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EddNog View Post
    I've been using my iPhone 4s with the Wahoo case/mount, battery extender, BlueHR HRM and BT speed/cadence sensor (basically the whole package) since late last year (rode over 1,000 miles with this setup so far). I do not have this problem with the app resetting when I switch on the battery extender, which I normally wait until the battery is under 50% to do. I went for a 70-mile long ride recently and had more than 40% of my battery left in my iPhone 4S by the time I finished (rode about 5 hours), and the extender was like 85% drained out. I like how well all of their products integrate and function together, I like that the popular apps I use support their stuff 100% (Cyclemeter and Strava) and frankly, while some say why mount such a thing as heavy as an iPhone to one's bike, well, if one is going to carry it on their person, anyway, then the added weight is only that of the mount, no? Frankly, I'm extremely happy with this setup, and only wish that someone (maybe Wahoo?) would come out with a better BT power meter solution than the left-leg-only Stages Power...simulator.

    -Ed
    Thanks for the great review. I am going to order the Wahoo iPhone Pack. I see it mentions support for ANT+ and Bluetooth accessories. My Garmin heart rate sensor is ANT+ so it should work correct? I wonder if the speed and cadence sensor it comes with is bluetooth or ANT+? If it's bluetooth I assume it would work at the same time as my Garmin ANT+ heart rate sensor...? I'm just trying to avoid purchasing a heart rate strap if the one I already have will work.


    Quote Originally Posted by banerjek View Post
    I hear the iphone has a great multitool app. Might want to look into that...
    I have that app, it's awesome. There is truly an app for that for everything...

    TaskOne1-600x398.jpg
    ~willieb

  6. #31
    Senior Member EddNog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    My Bikes
    2012 Breezer Venturi - 2013 SRAM Force - Bontrager Race Lite TLR
    Posts
    136
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willieb View Post
    Thanks for the great review. I am going to order the Wahoo iPhone Pack. I see it mentions support for ANT+ and Bluetooth accessories. My Garmin heart rate sensor is ANT+ so it should work correct? I wonder if the speed and cadence sensor it comes with is bluetooth or ANT+? If it's bluetooth I assume it would work at the same time as my Garmin ANT+ heart rate sensor...? I'm just trying to avoid purchasing a heart rate strap if the one I already have will work.




    I have that app, it's awesome. here is truly an app for that for everything...

    TaskOne1-600x398.jpg

    I have the Bluetooth-only version of the case, as at the time I bought mine, there was no ANT+ version that fit the (at the time) new battery extension. If your HRM is ANT+, then it should work with the case supporting both. I am not sure which speed & cadence sensor is included in the ANT+ bundle.

    -Ed
    2012 Breezer Venturi - 2013 SRAM Force - Bontrager Race Lite TLR

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •