Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-20-13, 11:39 PM   #1
willieb
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
willieb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: South GA
Bikes: 2006 Trek Madone 5.2
Posts: 404
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iPhone with Waterproof Mount, HR & Cadence, & Extra Battery - Solutions?

I'm not a casual rider by any means, I mean from a technical perspective. Big time techie. I'm getting back into riding (Beginning training for 6-gap in N GA). And I'm very seriously considering taking the plunge to using my iPhone for my cycle computer.

Well...

1.) I have my iPhone with me anyway.
2.) iPhone has many many app options for cycling, more each day, constantly improving. Granted I would probably pick one and stick with it, but the other options are there...
3.) I feel like I'm stuck in the stone age with my Garmin Edge 305 with Heart Rate and Cadence sensors. Yes it's a GPS but black and white and with no maps. And I have to connect to to a computer after every ride to upload my ride data to Garmin Training Center, and online, for me to view, analyze, share, etc. Like I said, I'm a techie like that, all this actually helps motivate me... a lot.

I look at all the cool apps available on the phone that makes my old Garmin look like an antique. Using my iPhone just makes sense. When I bought my edge it was the top of the line, and there wasn't HR & Cadence sensors available on any smart phones. But now there's much better Garmins available, but at a high price. Then I still will be missing features I would get from my iPhone, different apps, Internet, less weight from 1 less device, etc.

I usually have the latest and greatest but I've kept my 4S since it's a world phone (Honduras Missions once a year)...

I'm looking for the best case for the money that meets these needs:

iPhone 4S Waterproof case, bike mount, HR & Cadence sensors, & extra battery for at least 8hr or so batt life for the long centuries.

I have to admit I'm a bit behind but I am researching and this Wahoo looks like it meets my needs. http://www.wahoofitness.com/Products...for-iPhone.asp

Any other suggestions or experiences to share? I am interested in any case/accessory combinations that meets what I am looking for. Thanks.
__________________
~willieb

Last edited by willieb; 05-20-13 at 11:44 PM.
willieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-13, 12:08 AM   #2
Muffin Man
SS/FG? Nah son.
 
Muffin Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: San Jose, CA
Bikes: SS Evo Hi Mod, Steamroller
Posts: 3,319
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Why not just upgrade to a Garmin 500 instead?
Muffin Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-13, 04:12 AM   #3
JaceK
Senior Member
 
JaceK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Saratoga, NY
Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.9 (Shimano DA), 2008 Kuota Khan (SRAM Red), 2009 Giant OCR2 ( Shimano 105 ), Lynsky R340 ( SRAM Rival )
Posts: 613
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
or a garmin 800?
JaceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-13, 05:42 AM   #4
CrankAndYank
Banned.
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Bikes: 2 x 2012 GT Series 1, 2012 P2C
Posts: 435
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh Lord. Why would you mount something as heavy as an iPhone to a bike - esp for big climbing rides?
CrankAndYank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-13, 07:30 AM   #5
Smiziley
hmm..
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: RVA
Bikes:
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The best solution is the correct tool for the job, which the iPhone isn't. It's a good tool, but a Garmin is better.
Smiziley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-13, 07:34 AM   #6
Shimagnolo
Senior Member
 
Shimagnolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zang's Spur, CO
Bikes:
Posts: 7,507
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaceK View Post
or a garmin 800?
Or even a 705 from eBay.
I'm still using the 705 I bought years ago, because there is no compelling reason to replace it with an 800 or 810.
Shimagnolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-13, 07:37 AM   #7
kstephens
Senior Member
 
kstephens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Western Ky
Bikes: Trek 1.5, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Trek
Posts: 347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have an iphone, and tried the cycling apps. They are a battery drain (maybe 3-4 hours - and that is assuming you are managing the battery properly and starting off at 100%). I ended up with a garmin 800. It is great. I have done a few century rides, and all day tour rides and still had plenty of battery life. It also has several pages you can scroll through as well as customize the appearance of each page. On the bike it is much more user friendly than the iPhone.
kstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-13, 07:52 AM   #8
StanSeven
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: No Va but ride also in So Md
Bikes: Cervelo SLC-SL, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX
Posts: 11,860
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
You will look like a geek rather than a techie with an iPhone on your handlebars. Get a Garmin. If you don't go for maps, get one for the data. Then carry your phone in your pocket/bag. If you get lost pull out your phone to see where you're at.
__________________
Quote:
You're just trying to start an argument to show how smart you are.
StanSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-13, 07:55 AM   #9
Diegomayra
Too Fat for This Sport
 
Diegomayra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Northern California
Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Supersix
Posts: 694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstephens View Post
I have an iphone, and tried the cycling apps. They are a battery drain (maybe 3-4 hours - and that is assuming you are managing the battery properly and starting off at 100%). I ended up with a garmin 800. It is great. I have done a few century rides, and all day tour rides and still had plenty of battery life. It also has several pages you can scroll through as well as customize the appearance of each page. On the bike it is much more user friendly than the iPhone.

I use my Iphone as my only bicycle computer and it works great (Roadbike Pro App). On a century attempt, my battery died at mile 84 , just over 4:30 hrs running time. That is considering I use offline maps, turn off cell data, no push email, and no peering at my phone (ever). I have a small 5600Mha battery I carry sometimes to recharge my phone if I plan to make a water pit stop. I would try it out, I purchased a cheapie Zefal Iphone mount at my local walmart for $20, works quite well. I use Polar's Bluetooth Smart HRM.

I would search Amazon Warehouse deals for bluetooth Iphone HRM's.
Diegomayra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-13, 08:20 AM   #10
Menel
Senior Member
 
Menel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: GA
Bikes: Roubaix, Helix, NailTrail
Posts: 1,149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by willieb View Post
I'm not a casual rider by any means, I mean from a technical perspective. Big time techie. I'm getting back into riding (Beginning training for 6-gap in N GA). And I'm very seriously considering taking the plunge to using my iPhone for my cycle computer.

Well...

1.) I have my iPhone with me anyway.
2.) iPhone has many many app options for cycling, more each day, constantly improving. Granted I would probably pick one and stick with it, but the other options are there...
3.) I feel like I'm stuck in the stone age with my Garmin Edge 305 with Heart Rate and Cadence sensors. Yes it's a GPS but black and white and with no maps. And I have to connect to to a computer after every ride to upload my ride data to Garmin Training Center, and online, for me to view, analyze, share, etc. Like I said, I'm a techie like that, all this actually helps motivate me... a lot.

I look at all the cool apps available on the phone that makes my old Garmin look like an antique. Using my iPhone just makes sense. When I bought my edge it was the top of the line, and there wasn't HR & Cadence sensors available on any smart phones. But now there's much better Garmins available, but at a high price. Then I still will be missing features I would get from my iPhone, different apps, Internet, less weight from 1 less device, etc.

I usually have the latest and greatest but I've kept my 4S since it's a world phone (Honduras Missions once a year)...

I'm looking for the best case for the money that meets these needs:

iPhone 4S Waterproof case, bike mount, HR & Cadence sensors, & extra battery for at least 8hr or so batt life for the long centuries.

I have to admit I'm a bit behind but I am researching and this Wahoo looks like it meets my needs. http://www.wahoofitness.com/Products...for-iPhone.asp

Any other suggestions or experiences to share? I am interested in any case/accessory combinations that meets what I am looking for. Thanks.
Stick with the Garmin.

Save your iPhone battery for an emergency. Injury, accident, broken spokes, 3rd flat, ruptured sidewall, snapped cables, etc etc.
Menel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-13, 09:37 AM   #11
mleach82
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Spring Hill, FL
Bikes: 2014 Trek Madone 5.2
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been using my iPhone 4s with the Wahoo Fitness stuff.

They have a case, ext battery, HR, cadence and speed sensor

http://www.wahoofitness.com/
mleach82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-13, 10:14 AM   #12
mdelrossi
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Brooklyn NY
Bikes: Felt Z5, Trek Domane 2.0 Cannondale 3.0
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wahoo works great. Loved it till I had to move tho the iPhone 5
mdelrossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-13, 10:28 AM   #13
Menel
Senior Member
 
Menel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: GA
Bikes: Roubaix, Helix, NailTrail
Posts: 1,149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdelrossi View Post
Wahoo works great. Loved it till I had to move tho the iPhone 5
*had* to? I don't think you know the meaning of that word considering the 4 and 4S are still sold.
Menel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-13, 11:23 AM   #14
mulliganvi
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Bikes:
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have used the Wahoo 4 case / extra battery with good success. Up to 6 hours rides and have had 60 % battery at the end of the time. The only problem is when you turn the extra battery on, it resets your cycle app. You'll need to restart it and it looks like 2 rides if you upload it to a strava like program. I am going to try the Wahoo RFLKT on the N + 1 that will arrive this week.

http://www.wahoofitness.com/Products...e-Computer.asp

It looks fancier then having the iphone on your handle bars, and will hopefully future proof your wahoo technology with phone upgrades. Although, i think you can get different inserts for the wahoo case if you go from a iphone 4s to a 5 (this should be double checked)
mulliganvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-13, 01:11 PM   #15
mdelrossi
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Brooklyn NY
Bikes: Felt Z5, Trek Domane 2.0 Cannondale 3.0
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulliganvi View Post
i think you can get different inserts for the wahoo case if you go from a iphone 4s to a 5 (this should be double checked)
Nope, not only different size but different port 30 pin as opposed to "lightning" 9pin I think.
I really like Apple and their designs but sometimes they just pi** me off with changing connectors.
I went an got this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
A bit more bulky but you can use an external battery.
mdelrossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-13, 01:15 PM   #16
Menel
Senior Member
 
Menel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: GA
Bikes: Roubaix, Helix, NailTrail
Posts: 1,149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdelrossi View Post
Nope, not only different size but different port 30 pin as opposed to "lightning" 9pin I think.
I really like Apple and their designs but sometimes they just pi** me off with changing connectors.
I went an got this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
A bit more bulky but you can use an external battery.
It's not like they do it a lot... They've only done it once. The 30pin was introduced with iPod in 2003. That lasted for 9 years. Now they are on their Lightning connector.

Far less than the other yahoos. Dozens of proprietary connectors, to miniUSB, to now microUSB and who knows what is next.
Menel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-13, 01:19 PM   #17
TromboneAl
Senior Member
 
TromboneAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Far, Far Northern California
Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro
Posts: 2,875
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I might buy your Edge 305.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-13, 02:24 PM   #18
justin_nj
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Central NJ
Bikes: 2012 Specialized Roubaix Apex, 2001 Specialized Expedition
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I use my droid based phone AllSport GPS as my bike computer - love the statstics, auto-upload to my computer, etc. I have 2 phones so no worries if I need to make a call. Long rides - external slimline battery works just fine.
justin_nj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-13, 02:36 PM   #19
tagaproject6
Goodbye Leeroy Jenkins
 
tagaproject6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Campagnolo Record);Cinelli Xperience (SRAM Force);Specialized Allez (SRAM Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Campagnolo Centaur)
Posts: 7,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by willieb View Post
I'm not a casual rider by any means, I mean from a technical perspective. Big time techie. I'm getting back into riding (Beginning training for 6-gap in N GA). And I'm very seriously considering taking the plunge to using my iPhone for my cycle computer.
By claiming you are "not a casual rider by any means" should not be followed by "iphone, apps and cycling". Do you see a lot of "Big time techies" in the pro peloton using iPhones?

Use the right tool for the job and there are plenty of tech that are cycling specific.

Last edited by tagaproject6; 05-21-13 at 02:49 PM.
tagaproject6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-13, 03:46 PM   #20
justin_nj
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Central NJ
Bikes: 2012 Specialized Roubaix Apex, 2001 Specialized Expedition
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagaproject6 View Post
By claiming you are "not a casual rider by any means" should not be followed by "iphone, apps and cycling". Do you see a lot of "Big time techies" in the pro peloton using iPhones?

Use the right tool for the job and there are plenty of tech that are cycling specific.
Just because someone claims not to be a casual rider doesn't mean they are trying to mimic what the pro's do and use. The word casual is also up for debate. To one person, a casual rider for someone who does a 40 mile daily ride and at least one century a week could be someone who rides 20 mile rides on a road bike 3 or 4 times a week. For the 20 mile rider, a casual rider could be a beach cruiser who rides 2 miles down the boardwalk on a sunday afternoon.

So - ranking on someone for their choice of technology and what works best for them is the key to their own success and being able to ride better next time they put their feet on the peddles.

I am not trying to start a technology war or a spat between cyclists, but I would bet you some pro that just finished first in a race on his 12.3 pound, $18,000 bicycle isn't going to rank on someone riding a $700 entry level road bike!
justin_nj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-13, 04:31 PM   #21
tagaproject6
Goodbye Leeroy Jenkins
 
tagaproject6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Campagnolo Record);Cinelli Xperience (SRAM Force);Specialized Allez (SRAM Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Campagnolo Centaur)
Posts: 7,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin_nj View Post
Just because someone claims not to be a casual rider doesn't mean they are trying to mimic what the pro's do and use. The word casual is also up for debate. To one person, a casual rider for someone who does a 40 mile daily ride and at least one century a week could be someone who rides 20 mile rides on a road bike 3 or 4 times a week. For the 20 mile rider, a casual rider could be a beach cruiser who rides 2 miles down the boardwalk on a sunday afternoon.

So - ranking on someone for their choice of technology and what works best for them is the key to their own success and being able to ride better next time they put their feet on the peddles.

I am not trying to start a technology war or a spat between cyclists, but I would bet you some pro that just finished first in a race on his 12.3 pound, $18,000 bicycle isn't going to rank on someone riding a $700 entry level road bike!
The iPhone is not the right tool for the job. If you have to make adaptations to a device to make it apply to a specific task, it is not the right tool.
tagaproject6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-13, 05:07 PM   #22
justin_nj
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Central NJ
Bikes: 2012 Specialized Roubaix Apex, 2001 Specialized Expedition
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagaproject6 View Post
The iPhone is not the right tool for the job. If you have to make adaptations to a device to make it apply to a specific task, it is not the right tool.
We will need to agree to disagree on this. Tools are modified to make new tools! Nuff said. If the OP wants to use his iPhone and it works for him, then so be it.
justin_nj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-13, 05:20 PM   #23
patentcad
Peloton Dog
 
patentcad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester, NY
Bikes: 2013 Scott Foil, 2014 Scott Addict, 2008 Cervelo P3 (TT), 2015 Scott Scale 700SL MTB
Posts: 59,454
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
patentcad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-13, 05:31 PM   #24
shyonelung 
Senior Member
 
shyonelung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Healdsburg & Los Angeles, Ca.
Bikes: 1998 Amp Research dual suspension mtn bike; 2012 Ridley Orion full Carbon (Ultegra)
Posts: 432
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diegomayra View Post
I use my Iphone as my only bicycle computer and it works great (Roadbike Pro App). On a century attempt, my battery died at mile 84 , just over 4:30 hrs running time. That is considering I use offline maps, turn off cell data, no push email, and no peering at my phone (ever). I have a small 5600Mha battery I carry sometimes to recharge my phone if I plan to make a water pit stop. I would try it out, I purchased a cheapie Zefal Iphone mount at my local walmart for $20, works quite well. I use Polar's Bluetooth Smart HRM.

I would search Amazon Warehouse deals for bluetooth Iphone HRM's.
I also use my iPhone. I keep it in a plastic bag in my jersey pocket or carry it via an arm mount called Tunesband (more comfortable when I'm wearing long sleeves). As for the battery problem, when I'm on a long ride, I take along a Mophie charger, which I carry in my Camelbak. Of course, it adds a little bit of weight but for someone like me, it doesn't matter. More serious cyclists might find it cumbersome though. I use the Cyclometer app for my GPS and HR (with a Bluetooth Polar strap). I also have an older Polar computer that measures HR and cadence but it doesn't download to my computer so it's kind of useless except as an in-ride monitor.
shyonelung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-13, 05:34 PM   #25
gc3 
Falls Downalot
 
gc3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: DC
Bikes: Now I Got Two
Posts: 3,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got the one with the extra battery so it could help power my speakers:

__________________
"I tried being reasonable, I didn‘t like it."
"I understand. I just don't care"
"I don't give a f*ck" if they remember me at all" (F. Zappa)
gc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:04 PM.