Traveling Leg Pain-- seeking advice
Hello. I am a novice and have been training since last July for health, fun, and fitness. I weigh 140 lbs, and 5'8"" and am 27. In my rush to dominate on Strava, it seems that I got started too fast, because I have been dealing with what I think is an overuse injury in my right leg for the last two months.
First, I know the best advice is to see a doctor, but I figure that the injury is cycling-specific, so other cyclists may have had similar experiences and valuable advice to offer. So any thoughts are appreciated (including "dude, see a doctor"). It is also pretty mild, and I am constantly thinking it is almost healed.
After riding about 1,000 miles from January-April, I started getting pain in my IT band to the right of my knee, so I decided to take some time off. I also decided to get a bike fit, and I discovered that my seat was WAY too high. It was actually above the minimum insertion line on the seat post. I figure this is probably a major reason why I am dealing with this injury... but the bike is now fitted properly. Anyhow, I figure continuing to ride, even on a properly fitted bike, could aggravate the injury.
So anyways, after a week off, I try riding again, and its okay at first, but then I get mild pain up where my IT band connects to my glute, so I take another week off, then try to ease back in, and its fine at first, but then pain started developing above my knee and to the left of my knee (not near IT band). So I take another weak off, try to ease back in (this is where I'm at now), and now I've got mild pain/soreness developing south of my knee on the front of my leg at the top of the tibia to the left of center a bit (juncture of mcl and tibia).
I read online somewhere that you only feel pain in the worst spot, so I may be dealing with a whole leg injury that is just slowly unveiling itself to my brain??
Oh, also, I read the Cyclists Training Bible and am implementing a periodization plan when I recover.
So I'm continuing to ice and do 30 minute zone1-2 rides to test it out.
My main points of confusion are:
1- Do you think doing 30 minute rides a few times a week is a good idea? Will that aggravate an injury like this?
2- Is it normal for pain to migrate like this over time, and is the pattern I'm seeing typical?
3- How much longer will I have to deal with this?
Any thoughts are appreciated. It's quite mysterious.
Last edited by ugaphinizy; 06-23-13 at 12:52 PM.
If you have IT band issues, acquire a foam roller post-haste. Rollering your IT band regularly to loosen it is one of the best things cyclists can do. It will be excruciating at first, but if you stick with it, you will likely resolve your issue.
The best cycling-specific advice is:
1) Get an ACTUAL bike fit from someone who really knows what they're doing.
2) Take it easy thereafter.
3) If the pain persists, see a doctor.
Since it seems you did #1, move on to #2 and #3 as appropriate.
Dude, go see a doctor.
4) Get a lawyer and sue STRAVA.
Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe
I would never sue STRAVA!!
The worst thing is just the waiting... I am in love with cycling right now, and I'm on summer break (I teach high school). Killing me. However, I know I'm going to be doing this the rest of my life, so I'm trying not to be impatient.
Last edited by ugaphinizy; 06-23-13 at 02:12 PM.
+1 for the foam roller, Cleared all my knees problems! That thing hurt at first, but it's magic!
Do THIS with it : http://youtu.be/NAuh5Pg8uYU?t=1m6s
To follow up:
I got a foam roller and used it as instructed above, and it worked wonders! Hurt really bad at first, but the pain was gone in about a week. I am back on my bike and think I'm finally over the issue. If anyone is having similar symptoms, the roller is worth a shot.
I deal with leg pain on a daily basis from Stenosis, 2 failed spine surgeries and chronic herniated disk. Is it nerve or muscle pain? Muscle pain is controllable and more treat-able. Nerve pain is insidious and confusing, can cause bouts of suicidal tendencies.
I ride alot because while riding in the hunged over position actually relieves pressure off the spine.
Not complaining............anyway, 90% of the people don't give a sh#t, the other 10% are glad you have the problem.
Good Luck to you!