Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 78
  1. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Basye, VA
    My Bikes
    Trek Domane 5 series, Dura Ace 9070, November Rail 52's
    Posts
    1,350
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nesdog View Post
    As I was getting jostled off the bike yesterday, just milliseconds before I whacked into the ground, I thought to myself "Okay, I want the smoothest riding bike in the world 'cause then I might not flying towards a very hard landing!" I gotta take a longer look at the Domaine! Maybe it would have saved me!
    Well I don't know about that but it is one smooth riding bike. Hopefully you'll be back riding soon!

  2. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Conejo Valley, CA
    My Bikes
    Domane 4.3
    Posts
    2,420
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What would you do? Okay, it's not going to be a fair question, I get it. Prior to my crash and burn a few days ago, I so far liked the Trek (by far the smoothest ride ever) and the Scott (a bit more lively). I probably won't get back on a bike for 2 or 3 weeks now to test out Spec, Felt, etc. Problem is that the Trek is on sale everywhere, roughly $500 less than list price as they clear out for the 2014 models.

    My Scott dealer is the LBS I ride with. I'll get a bit of a break on pricing for the CR1; 105 components and they'll upgrade the RD to Ultegra. The Trek is Ultegra with some 105. Without a redo, not sure which fits me better. Both felt okay, more or less. With the sale price, both are about the same cost to me.

    If I wait, the Trek goes back to list price as they run out of 2013 stock.

    So as I play with the ice packs, I'm left pondering....grab a Trek while I can? Wait it out? If I ended up wanting the Trek after the test rides, it would suck to pay that much more for the same thing! (yeah, I think too much)
    [insert clever quote here]

  3. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Maple Grove, MN
    Posts
    496
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nesdog View Post
    So as I play with the ice packs, I'm left pondering....grab a Trek while I can? Wait it out?
    Which bike looks the best to you?
    2012 Trek 5.2 Madone
    1985 Raleigh Olympian

  4. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Basye, VA
    My Bikes
    Trek Domane 5 series, Dura Ace 9070, November Rail 52's
    Posts
    1,350
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait and keep test riding until you find the right bike and not wonder "what if". Deals will always be plentiful.

  5. #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    South Jersey
    My Bikes
    make me happy
    Posts
    70
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyville View Post
    Wait and keep test riding until you find the right bike and not wonder "what if". Deals will always be plentiful.
    +1

    If it means anything, I paid $2375 for my Domane when it retailed at ~$2700. Saving a few hundred bucks to me isn't worth wondering 'what if' for possibly years.

  6. #56
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Conejo Valley, CA
    My Bikes
    Domane 4.3
    Posts
    2,420
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys....I'm gonna hold out and wait.
    [insert clever quote here]

  7. #57
    Senior Member lsberrios1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    My Bikes
    '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert
    Posts
    2,091
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nesdog View Post
    Thanks guys....I'm gonna hold out and wait.
    Man that is tough. I wouldnt be able to!
    Cat 6 going on PRO....

  8. #58
    Senior Member blacknbluebikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    NJ, USA
    My Bikes
    black one goes far, blue one goes fast, white one goes anywhere
    Posts
    134
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO, the "endurance/relaxed" category is very competitive between the respected brands, and if each had the same seat and bio-measurements, I doubt most riders would pass a double-blind test between the upper end Giant, Trek, Specialized, Focus, yadayada's. I think the more interesting tactic is to find several bikes you'd be proud to own, *learn to fish on Ebay,* and then save a boatload of money to apply against targeted upgrades (eg. saddle, seatpost, tire/wheels, better shoes, pro-fitting). I bought an eight year old S-Works Roubaix on Ebay this year for 25% of its original cost. Leaves me a lot of money for the other things that significantly affect my long-ride happiness. I, personally, will never exceed the capabilities of that bike, and I'll always love to hop on it. I'd feel the same way about a top-end Giant, Cannondale, Focus, Felt, Trek...

  9. #59
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Conejo Valley, CA
    My Bikes
    Domane 4.3
    Posts
    2,420
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You make some good points about the various similar brands. My guess is you are correct in that none of us could really tell the difference. Sometimes we overthink this stuff. When I bought my OCR ten years ago, all I tested were a couple of bikes and the Giant felt the best. I didn't know squat about fit, materials, weight or anything else. I just bought the bike! Ignorance is bliss.

    As to buying used, I'd wonder, though, if a frame had been crashed or compromised.
    [insert clever quote here]

  10. #60
    has a Large Member Campag4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,785
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes View Post
    IMO, the "endurance/relaxed" category is very competitive between the respected brands, and if each had the same seat and bio-measurements, I doubt most riders would pass a double-blind test between the upper end Giant, Trek, Specialized, Focus, yadayada's. I think the more interesting tactic is to find several bikes you'd be proud to own, *learn to fish on Ebay,* and then save a boatload of money to apply against targeted upgrades (eg. saddle, seatpost, tire/wheels, better shoes, pro-fitting). I bought an eight year old S-Works Roubaix on Ebay this year for 25% of its original cost. Leaves me a lot of money for the other things that significantly affect my long-ride happiness. I, personally, will never exceed the capabilities of that bike, and I'll always love to hop on it. I'd feel the same way about a top-end Giant, Cannondale, Focus, Felt, Trek...
    I believe your opinion is debatable on the subject. No the top companies you mention aren't going to put out a poor top model endurance frame but the frames have different personally. Plus...the Roubaix you mention has now gone through 2 redesigns in those 8 years and the new SL4 is quite different from your frame. If you look at a new Sworks Roubaix SL4 frame...retail is $3500 for the frame. The Pro which is all intents the same bike is $2800. I paid $2000 for my Roubaix SL3 Pro frameset. There have been discussions about the difference in the SL4 and SL3 Roubaix for example. I absolutely love my SL3. They are out there on ebay...and maybe able to pick up a SL3 Pro frame for $1500. To me, that is a very good value versus the SL4. But, an ebay frame doesn't have a warranty and some believe this is a good thing with a carbon bike.

  11. #61
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    2,330
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes View Post
    IMO, the "endurance/relaxed" category is very competitive between the respected brands, and if each had the same seat and bio-measurements, I doubt most riders would pass a double-blind test between the upper end Giant, Trek, Specialized, Focus, yadayada's. I think the more interesting tactic is to find several bikes you'd be proud to own, *learn to fish on Ebay,* and then save a boatload of money to apply against targeted upgrades (eg. saddle, seatpost, tire/wheels, better shoes, pro-fitting). I bought an eight year old S-Works Roubaix on Ebay this year for 25% of its original cost. Leaves me a lot of money for the other things that significantly affect my long-ride happiness. I, personally, will never exceed the capabilities of that bike, and I'll always love to hop on it. I'd feel the same way about a top-end Giant, Cannondale, Focus, Felt, Trek...
    I rode my buddy's 2008 S-Works Roubaix, and also tried the Roubaix SL3. They are two very difference bikes from my experience. The SL3 is hands-down a better bike in almost all respects.

  12. #62
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Conejo Valley, CA
    My Bikes
    Domane 4.3
    Posts
    2,420
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can someone enlighten me on the SL3? When I look on Spec's website, they don't really list the SL3, just the SL4 and the various Roubaix Comp, etc. Do shops still carry the SL3 or have they moved on? My budget is roughly $2500 so the 4 is way out anyway. Anything wrong with the regular Roubaix's in my price range?
    [insert clever quote here]

  13. #63
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    My Bikes
    Sott Scale 29er, Specialized SL3 Roubaix, Colnago C59
    Posts
    228
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dalava View Post
    I rode my buddy's 2008 S-Works Roubaix, and also tried the Roubaix SL3. They are two very difference bikes from my experience. The SL3 is hands-down a better bike in almost all respects.
    The SL3 was a big evolution for them. Put the Roubaix into the performance category IMHO. I have one, It's very nice.

    Quote Originally Posted by nesdog View Post
    Can someone enlighten me on the SL3? When I look on Spec's website, they don't really list the SL3, just the SL4 and the various Roubaix Comp, etc. Do shops still carry the SL3 or have they moved on? My budget is roughly $2500 so the 4 is way out anyway. Anything wrong with the regular Roubaix's in my price range?

    2009 - 2011 models with better carbon are the SL3, it's like expert or pro model and above.

    2012 and on better models are SL4.

    In any case, it's just better carbon/layup - stiffer where it needs to be. Nice bike overall. I rode a new SL4 and it's really good.

  14. #64
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Columbia, TN
    My Bikes
    Trek Domane 5.2,Trek 2300, Specialized Carve Comp
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have the Domane 5.2. (Reward for making through double knee replacement last year) Great bike, love the hell out of it, but tend to agree with others that say when it really comes down to it, most of the reputable companies have good equipment. Buy the local bike shop that you like the best and provides the best service before and after the sale.

  15. #65
    has a Large Member Campag4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,785
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Domane/Roubaix debate is a good one. Probably the top two premier endurance frames on the market, though I am sure others prefer a Defy or something else. The Domane and Roubaix have slightly different personalities but each are great performance bikes that are easier on the neck and back for long legged guys like me in pariicular where this type of geometry really helps. I have written before that a long legged guy will fit on a Roubaix exactly like a short legged guy of the same height will fit on a Tarmac. That is why fit is a bit misleading for many...a parallel universe of same height riders which colors the preference of many for a given frame type.

    The Domane has a pretty short top tube if you check the geometry chart for its height. So the geometry is quite different than the Roubaix...which has for example has a 58.3mm top tube for a 58cm bike. The Roubaix is tall but of average length for a race bike. So I were to ride a Domane and would love to have one in my stable with new Red or say DA9000, it would be one size up from my Roubaix to get a taller head tube and longer top tube.
    For me, I need the long top tube of a race bike to stretch out but a tall head tube for my long legs. Without a tall head tube, my drop is uncomfortable for long distance riding.

  16. #66
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Conejo Valley, CA
    My Bikes
    Domane 4.3
    Posts
    2,420
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm looking forward to trying the Roubaix (whichever model fits my budget) and seeing the difference from the Domane. Given my recovery so far from the crash last Saturday, I'd guess I'm about two weeks away from resuming testing. Probably have to go back to the Trek dealer to remind myself of the ride characteristics.
    [insert clever quote here]

  17. #67
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Basye, VA
    My Bikes
    Trek Domane 5 series, Dura Ace 9070, November Rail 52's
    Posts
    1,350
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nesdog View Post
    I'm looking forward to trying the Roubaix (whichever model fits my budget) and seeing the difference from the Domane. Given my recovery so far from the crash last Saturday, I'd guess I'm about two weeks away from resuming testing. Probably have to go back to the Trek dealer to remind myself of the ride characteristics.
    Good to hear that you're recovering well!

  18. #68
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Conejo Valley, CA
    My Bikes
    Domane 4.3
    Posts
    2,420
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyville View Post
    Good to hear that you're recovering well!
    Thanks! Luckily, it was just a bad sprain. Couldn't put any weight on the left side at all, had to work at home for several days and then borrow a walker from my 83 year old mother! (I'm 59). Should be able to return that device in the next two or three days but still need it a bit. Hoping by the end of the coming week I'll be back in the lap pool resuming regular swims and then will put the bike on my trainer to check and gain strength. At least there is still plenty of summer to enjoy, especially here in Socal. Injuries suck but it could have been far worse.

    Appreciate the kind thoughts....
    [insert clever quote here]

  19. #69
    has a Large Member Campag4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,785
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nesdog View Post
    Thanks! Luckily, it was just a bad sprain. Couldn't put any weight on the left side at all, had to work at home for several days and then borrow a walker from my 83 year old mother! (I'm 59). Should be able to return that device in the next two or three days but still need it a bit. Hoping by the end of the coming week I'll be back in the lap pool resuming regular swims and then will put the bike on my trainer to check and gain strength. At least there is still plenty of summer to enjoy, especially here in Socal. Injuries suck but it could have been far worse.

    Appreciate the kind thoughts....
    Ironically we are the same age and I had a fall a couple of months back I wrote about in the 'how to fall' thread. Not sure there is a true best method there but an interesting thread anyway. I was badly bruised but didn't break anything which I feel VERY fortunate...and am riding stronger at my old age right now better than the past couple of years...mostly out of choice. I have decided to start riding faster and push a bit more through the pain and it is paying big dividends. I don't think your age should be factor for your speed. I have one friend who is also and ex-racer who is 65 and still built like a brick$h!thaus and still rides the wheels off of all his bikes and he owns close to 20...very serious rider and also a wonderful guy.

    All the best in your recovery. If you decide between either the Domane or the Roubaix, you will have a hell of a bike. Only last note it...I would make sure I got either Ultegra 6800 or DA9000 or new and improved Sram Force or Red...or if you have to be a bit of an outliar...go with Campy...you will have to build your own for that.

  20. #70
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to propose a bit of a dark horse here but if you have a BMC dealer in your area try to give the Gran Fondo GF01 or GF02 (which is aluminum) a ride if you can. It's incredibly smooth riding and visually very unique. Their new shapes certainly add a lot of compliance while retaining stiffness and power transfer. My friend who rides Specialized only remarked that the GF01 was almost as good as his Venge while being better riding. I really liked the GF01 I rode compared to a Scott CR1 I got to test as well.
    Last edited by roastpuff; 08-11-13 at 02:16 AM.

  21. #71
    has a Large Member Campag4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,785
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
    I'm going to propose a bit of a dark horse here but if you have a BMC dealer in your area try to give the Gran Fondo GF01 or GF02 (which is aluminum) a ride if you can. It's incredibly smooth riding and visually very unique. Their new shapes certainly add a lot of compliance while retaining stiffness and power transfer. My friend who rides Specialized only remarked that the GF01 was almost as good as his Venge while being better riding. I really liked the GF01 I rode compared to a Scott CR1 I got to test as well.
    The GF01 is almost as good as the Venge? In what regard roastpuff? The Venge is one of the stiffest bikes on the market because of its aero tube shapes. Certainly you are not saying the GF01 is as aero. Have to believe the GF01 is a very different bike than the Venge however maybe a worthy consideration. BMC makes great bikes.

  22. #72
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Conejo Valley, CA
    My Bikes
    Domane 4.3
    Posts
    2,420
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
    I'm going to propose a bit of a dark horse here but if you have a BMC dealer in your area try to give the Gran Fondo GF01 or GF02 (which is aluminum) a ride if you can. It's incredibly smooth riding and visually very unique. Their new shapes certainly add a lot of compliance while retaining stiffness and power transfer. My friend who rides Specialized only remarked that the GF01 was almost as good as his Venge while being better riding. I really liked the GF01 I rode compared to a Scott CR1 I got to test as well.
    My Scott dealer is the BMC one as well and suggested that bike. Unfortunately, I don't have the budget for it...my daughter is a freshmen in college!
    [insert clever quote here]

  23. #73
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    605
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In this style bike, not at least testing the Roubaix is borderline irresponsible. Seriously, it may not be what you end up with, but its the bike that most other manufacturers are trying to replicate/compete with.

    Glad to see you are going to try it out. Looking forward to reading your comparisons.

  24. #74
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    7,373
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am I the only one who finds those zertz things on the Roubaix ugly? i ruled the Spesh line of plush bikes out b/c of those. Just can't get past it.
    ...

  25. #75
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    36
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by valygrl View Post
    Am I the only one who finds those zertz things on the Roubaix ugly? i ruled the Spesh line of plush bikes out b/c of those. Just can't get past it.
    Well, they certainly don't enhance the visual appeal for me. But, they also don't detract enough to make me rule it out. It's all subjective, but still an important thing to consider. If you find a particular bike ugly, you will be less likely to ride it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •