I cannot find any listings for DT Swiss 4.0 rims or wheels. Are they good?
Wheels have been too complicated for me so I've just ignored the subject. Until the rear rim fractured at one of the spokes, for the second time.
- I replaced the original Mavic CX [I think] with a Mavic CXP [I think] last year after the original fractured at several spokes. The original rim had about 10K miles and I weighed 225# on average.
- This new rim only lasted about 3-4K miles. I laced it myself using the original hub and spokes. Wheelworks in Belmont says the hub can't be re-used, for what this is worth.
Obviously a new wheel would be a good idea. So I stopped at Wheelworks and sought info. And bought a wheelset.
- My goals & needs = 5-6K miles per year, currently 215#, quick acceleration is not an issue, I prefer that the rear is silent when coasting (OK, I had to compromise on this to "not real loud").
- After dragging the knowledgeable sales guy into the basement where they had wheelsets under $1K, it seemed like there were three choices:
- Mavic Aksium Race wheelset - fairly loud - $388
- Bontager wheelset - white - old stock, I think - almost silent - $400
- DT Swiss 4.0 wheelset - $300
- They had tires mounted - 25mm "Endurant Roubaix Pro" (my bike is a Roubaix, I have been using 25mm GP4000s tires)
I thought I would avail myself of the boundless knowledge of this forum before I ride them.