Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (http://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/)
-   -   what carbon road wheels is everyone buying? (http://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/898820-what-carbon-road-wheels-everyone-buying.html)

Bah Humbug 07-02-13 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirHustlerEsq (Post 15806457)
What do these wheels do that is so great over aluminum 1800g wheels?

Schmecksiness.

canam73 07-02-13 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirHustlerEsq (Post 15806457)
What do these wheels do that is so great over aluminum 1800g wheels?


If you have them you can see 'hidden pictures'. And find Waldo much quicker.

Like all things in cycling, and most other sports, if your basic equipment is set up correctly and in good shape the differences are going to be pretty small. It's often quoted that quality aero wheels can save about 1 minute an hour while time trialing when compared to your basic aluminum road wheel. That matters to some (or at least they think it does).

For me, well I build my own wheels and don't need much of excuse to start on another project.

RJM 07-02-13 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fox Farm (Post 15805858)
I am actually still using a set of Rolf Vector Pro wheels from 2002. Very durable and I would purchase a new set of Rolf wheels from their Oregon location.

My next wheelset.

Andy STi 07-02-13 11:50 AM

I only use Lightweights.

bike_boy 07-02-13 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fox Farm (Post 15805858)
I am actually still using a set of Rolf Vector Pro wheels from 2002. Very durable and I would purchase a new set of Rolf wheels from their Oregon location.


fyi to OP those Rolf's are aluminum 30mm rims with paired spokes. I still have them myself, but
upgraded to 2001 Reynolds Assault 46mm carbon clinchers w/ctg carbon brake track.

StanSeven 07-02-13 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirHustlerEsq (Post 15806457)
What do these wheels do that is so great over aluminum 1800g wheels?

Besides the aero benefits which saves 15-23 watts per this test, you will save over 1/2 lb of weight. That will make a difference in sprinting.

http://www.enve.com/cache/DOC203_Whe...20120626022821

bbattle 07-03-13 04:30 AM

You buy carbon wheels for the SOUND they make as you blow past the Starbucks group, the Krispy Kreme group, and the ******* Barrel group on your weekend ride.

To be in the beer group, carbon wheels are required. ;)

Fox Farm 07-03-13 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJM (Post 15806645)
My next wheelset.

Write to Rolf via email and you will get a quick response from a friendly person who will ask why type of riding you do, your weight, etc and they will offer a series of recommended choices from their lineup. Good folks there!

sqroot3 07-04-13 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fox Farm (Post 15809609)
Write to Rolf via email and you will get a quick response from a friendly person who will ask why type of riding you do, your weight, etc and they will offer a series of recommended choices from their lineup. Good folks there!

Remind me, did Rolf change ownership or something in the past decade? Are their current wheels the same as/better than/worse than the ones that came with treks back in the day?

GiantOCRC3 07-04-13 08:19 AM

I bought Planet X wheels at Christmas and have 1500 miles on them with zero issues. $500 is hard to beat for 50mm clinchers.

surgeonstone 07-04-13 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bt (Post 15801046)
??

Unless you are racing don't waste the money. Good aluminum's will get you a lot further.

chasm54 07-04-13 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surgeonstone (Post 15814238)
Unless you are racing don't waste the money. Good aluminum's will get you a lot further.

Well, as it happens I am racing, and I agree that I wouldn't have bothered buying the PlanetX CT45s if I wasn't, but I don't think there's any reason to believe that "good aluminiums will get you a lot further". Carbon rims are pretty robust.

I train and just ride around on openpros because they ride nice, and are inexpensive, not because they will get me further...

sqroot3 07-04-13 08:59 AM

Those Planet X clinchers sure are cheap.

Bah Humbug 07-04-13 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chasm54 (Post 15814269)
Well, as it happens I am racing, and I agree that I wouldn't have bothered buying the PlanetX CT45s if I wasn't, but I don't think there's any reason to believe that "good aluminiums will get you a lot further". Carbon rims are pretty robust.

I train and just ride around on openpros because they ride nice, and are inexpensive, not because they will get me further...

Could flip it to "good aluminums will get you just as far, but leave money on the table for a Powertap".

chasm54 07-04-13 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 15814606)
Could flip it to "good aluminums will get you just as far, but leave money on the table for a Powertap".

I don't think the question was "what is your priority, wheels or powermeter?"

Bah Humbug 07-04-13 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chasm54 (Post 15814635)
I don't think the question was "what is your priority, wheels or powermeter?"

I already answered the OP's original question; I was responding to a branch of the discussion. Thank you for your contribution, though.

surgeonstone 07-04-13 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chasm54 (Post 15814269)
Well, as it happens I am racing, and I agree that I wouldn't have bothered buying the PlanetX CT45s if I wasn't, but I don't think there's any reason to believe that "good aluminiums will get you a lot further". Carbon rims are pretty robust.

I train and just ride around on openpros because they ride nice, and are inexpensive, not because they will get me further...

I don't believe that . My Zipp 303's lasted exactly 3 years. My Fulcrums Kysiriums are still going strong at 8 years. Personally I would have the carbons for racing and aluminum for training and everything else. But that's just me and to each his own. I must admit, they do feel very nice.
BTW, I like your byline- about riding- quite true.

chasm54 07-04-13 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surgeonstone (Post 15814766)
I don't believe that . My Zipp 303's lasted exactly 3 years. My Fulcrums Kysiriums are still going strong at 8 years. Personally I would have the carbons for racing and aluminum for training and everything else. But that's just me and to each his own. I must admit, they do feel very nice.
BTW, I like your byline- about riding- quite true.

Well, I do use the carbons for racing and the openpros for everything else. But I'm interested in how you did for the Zipps in less than half the time of the Ksyriums. Wore out the braking surfaces? Cracked them? Mileage?

bsektzer 07-05-13 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homebrew01 (Post 15801383)
Off-brand tubular rims, then build my own. (racing only)

Same here... CarbonRimsSale.com has been a pretty reliable source for me.

surgeonstone 07-05-13 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chasm54 (Post 15814870)
Well, I do use the carbons for racing and the openpros for everything else. But I'm interested in how you did for the Zipps in less than half the time of the Ksyriums. Wore out the braking surfaces? Cracked them? Mileage?

Cracked the rear wheel, a break at a spoke hole traveling around the rim, about 6000 miles on them. I weigh 175-180, this was a set purchased in 2004 and I hear these earlier evolutions had this problem and are now much better.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:46 AM.